Sign in to follow this  
mbbird

Reality Check

Yes..you can recognize a M1A1 only from it's shadow (so to speak) because you ARE familiar with that "shape"..

Well, you will definitely not tell the drones apart from their shadow, because the only difference is the color. And if an APC drives past and you only see the turret under bad light, you might be seeing a CSAT or a AAF IFV, since they got the same turrets.

^^Most of the time you are not close enough to tell if the guy is friendly (would you really close in on a static defense with a thermal vision to check?). It's the same as with vehicles. You determine if they are friendly/enemy by a silhouette and a sound they make.

Try morning/twilight/night and especially with NVGs which make everything the same color (try telling green opfor camo from green greenfor camo in nvg from afar) it's really hard at times. And it shouldn't be. What's to say about a static gun that is exactly the same for everybody and you will just see a silhouette of a guy behind it.

The only way for BIS to save face is to start working on replacements ASAP and get rid of crappy balance where everybody has the same vehicle. Why everybody (even "republic of altis") has the same drones all of a sudden? Balancing taken to a mega ridiculous extreme?

The reality check here is that BI owes you [the "community" as a whole] nothing.

You buy your game, you get your game. It doesn't have things in it you think it should have? Well tough titties my friend, you are not the Co-Creative Director at BI, so you have NO say in what content should be there or not.

THAT is the reality of it.

Well, that whole alpha/beta thing was basicalyl BIS asking for feedback. And here it is. I'm sure some people don't like it, but that's the feedback.

For those complaining about the tech level of Altis. Altis is a Greek island, Greece is bankrupt NOW, I think Altis looks too futuristic to be Greek.

Say what? You expect them to demolish their houses in the future and start living in huts because Greece is bankrupt in 2013?

Say what? You expect them to demolish their houses in the future and start living in huts because Greece is bankrupt in 2013?

I believe earthquakes occur pretty often in Greece, so the people might not need to demolish houses themselves.

^^Most of the time you are not close enough to tell if the guy is friendly (would you really close in on a static defense with a thermal vision to check?). It's the same as with vehicles. You determine if they are friendly/enemy by a silhouette and a sound they make.

Try morning/twilight/night and especially with NVGs which make everything the same color (try telling green opfor camo from green greenfor camo in nvg from afar) it's really hard at times. And it shouldn't be. What's to say about a static gun that is exactly the same for everybody and you will just see a silhouette of a guy behind it.

The only way for BIS to save face is to start working on replacements ASAP and get rid of crappy balance where everybody has the same vehicle. Why everybody (even "republic of altis") has the same drones all of a sudden? Balancing taken to a mega ridiculous extreme?

Just highlighted something really amusing there.

I believe earthquakes occur pretty often in Greece, so the people might not need to demolish houses themselves.

Earthquakes that do alot of damage to infrastructure and houses are rare in Greece.

To quote a famous motivational speaker who was laid to rest yesterday, "Bite my shiny metal ass". You're telling us not to speak up, because if we speak up the developers will turn against the community, kill us all off, and turn this game into Red River or something thereabouts. Are you really that afraid of BIS? Do you live in the China from 20 years ago, or the Russia from 60? Seriously? I might be pissed off about recycled content, I might be annoyed at the campaign, and you can bet your ass that I'm annoyed about the Fixed Wing situation, but until the day The Czech Republic gets nuked and the Bohemia offices are just a shelled out rubble that Dwarden lives in, I refuse to believe that. They may never give us everything we want, they may take our money and have a little evil laugh every now and then about giving us all little badges on the forums, but they DO listen, and they DO respond. You, sir, are a non-believer, and you can bite my shiny metal ass. I bid you good day.

My entire post was in support of Bohemia, I would just hate to be releasing a game which is quite reasonable and it be a low point of my day, after all they did spend the last few months trying to fix the bits we requested.

What I feel is that everyone is latching onto this with claws, and there is a point in pushing it too far, the people behind Bohemia will resent their actions from Arma 3 and so of course they will do it differently next time.

And I am in no way saying Bohemia now will turn in to an EA, but as people come and leave BIS the things of the past will be forgotten, if they stopped doing open alphas and betas in the next game (theoretically) it would be a first step towards BIS going back into a shell.

But all your going to do for an argument is quote cartoons and try to insult me, and act like you would hump jesus even if he inserted metal caltrops up there.

And no im not going to be quite on what I feel is a crass thread, just in the same way you won't.

Edited by Dale

What's so amusing about it ? It's actually quite hard to see the difference in camo pattern with NVGs

What's so amusing about it ? It's actually quite hard to see the difference in camo pattern with NVGs

That's the point. And could\should be harder.

Edited by Smurf

They could make this shortage-of-content issue vanish very quickly if they were to provide a small amount of material support to All-in-ArmA.

It wasn't supposed to be a real criticism of Altis in regards to realism. It's a beautiful, atmospheric and believable island. I just don't know if it's the right setting to give me an immersive 2035 future warfare feeling. But then again, it maybe doesn't have to...

The factions and their technology should give you that feeling.

That's the point. And could\should be harder.
Yes, it could/should be harder, but not by making vehicles look identical like it is now.

Actually none of you got the point I was making. (Visually).

They could make this shortage-of-content issue vanish very quickly if they were to provide a small amount of material support to All-in-ArmA.

Now thats something all sides can agree on!

The thing is, you can't Say Arma 2 had a rough launch and expect the same. It's a slightly updated engine from Arma 2 with some script changes. They have the experience with Arma 2 and should have applied that into arma 3. Take a look at the Zamak in Arma 2. It looks shit loads better than the Arma 3 one. This is the one thing that blew me away. Or even the bradly or the AH-9. Now look at the AH9, different RPM on the weapons, yet the Arma 3 one doesn't? WTF? Arma 3 has slightly better LAND textures, but their vehicles look like shit compared to Arma 2.

This is what alot of people can't understand. BI have claimed on their streams they have been making this game for 3 yrs, but we get some big ass map and a copy, paste vehicles and a jet from 1997 that doesn't even work.

It looks like they are expecting the community to fix everything for them, IE Revive, where is a polished official revive built into the game... Instead they will think we will all use BTC revive.

They had some of the best modders out there, why didn't that hire the JSRS team to do the sounds, why didn't they hire ACE modders etc etc.

This is ARMA 3, its a new game, its supposed to surpass the older version but Arma 3 doesn't do that.

The thing is, you can't Say Arma 2 had a rough launch and expect the same. It's a slightly updated engine from Arma 2 with some script changes. They have the experience with Arma 2 and should have applied that into arma 3. Take a look at the Zamak in Arma 2. It looks shit loads better than the Arma 3 one. This is the one thing that blew me away. Or even the bradly or the AH-9. Now look at the AH9, different RPM on the weapons, yet the Arma 3 one doesn't? WTF? Arma 3 has slightly better LAND textures, but their vehicles look like shit compared to Arma 2.

This is what alot of people can't understand. BI have claimed on their streams they have been making this game for 3 yrs, but we get some big ass map and a copy, paste vehicles and a jet from 1997 that doesn't even work.

It looks like they are expecting the community to fix everything for them, IE Revive, where is a polished official revive built into the game... Instead they will think we will all use BTC revive.

They had some of the best modders out there, why didn't that hire the JSRS team to do the sounds, why didn't they hire ACE modders etc etc.

This is ARMA 3, its a new game, its supposed to surpass the older version but Arma 3 doesn't do that.

You just reminded me of this screenshot I took of the Orca helicopter back in the Alpha days:

2013_03_07_00001.jpg

Beware it was with texture set as Very High.

Actually none of you got the point I was making. (Visually).

Care to enlighten us then ?

I got what you were saying.......

Arma 3 is going to cost as much if not more then Arma 2 but will have "LESS THEN HALF" the content... And that content... Wow how many different textures can you put on the same weapon and call it something different????!!!

One plane.... WTF is that????!!!! And further more the plane can barely take off on any of the short runways... its a fucking PIG of a plane.......!! LAME!!

All the vehicles have the SAME turret... all the static weapons look the SAME... All in all, as pretty as Arma 3 is, I am going to fall back to arma 2 ... Knowing that all the content that is in the DEV build is "IT" for content.. I was astonished... Arma 3 is officially a joke to me ...

I got what you were saying.......

Arma 3 is going to cost as much if not more then Arma 2 but will have "LESS THEN HALF" the content... And that content... Wow how many different textures can you put on the same weapon and call it something different????!!!

One plane.... WTF is that????!!!! And further more the plane can barely take off on any of the short runways... its a fucking PIG of a plane.......!! LAME!!

All the vehicles have the SAME turret... all the static weapons look the SAME... All in all, as pretty as Arma 3 is, I am going to fall back to arma 2 ... Knowing that all the content that is in the DEV build is "IT" for content.. I was astonished... Arma 3 is officially a joke to me ...

Did you actually play the game yourself yet or are your opinions merely based on other people's rants around here?

If you did, you payed what...30$ maybe? And you don't think you have gotten good value for money with Arma 3?

Dude, calm down and enjoy the game or find another hobby...

I'm among those lucky few that only really got into the opf/arma series when the arma 3 alpha started. This is why I can actually really enjoy Arma 3 without always looking back on what a "unique" and "flawless" game Arma 2 was. Some of you guys must be playing a different game than me, because my vehicles look great for the most part. But maybe I should have a closer look at Arma 2 to have even better graphics...

This could also bring in cash with additional Arma 2 sales

because my vehicles look great for the most part. But maybe I should have a closer look at Arma 2 to have even better graphics...

Some people actually care about gameplay instead of only shiny graphics, yes the vehicles look great to me aswell, awesome textures. But that doesnt make arma3 better then arma2.

Im speaking for myself and a group of people that I know, there might be some complainers that only care about the graphics tho...

Some people actually care about gameplay instead of only shiny graphics, yes the vehicles look great to me aswell, awesome textures. But that doesnt make arma3 better then arma2.

Im speaking for myself and a group of people that I know, there might be some complainers that only care about the graphics tho...

I was referring to those people who claimed that Arma2 vehicles look so much better than in Arma3. This is clearly delusional and sort of an unfair criticism. I didn't say that Arma3 is better than Arma2 or has no or little gameplay flaws...but it is by no means a bad game or looks/feels/plays like a cheap and rushed product...

Got to agree with that post..

__

Its about game-play, for those that thought A2 looked or played bad, it didn't/doesn't on VH settings it looks great and the game-play is worlds apart from A3. Yes, you have to mod A2 to get the very best, but it will be the same for A3, only difference is, A2 just feels more realistic, for me anyway.

I would have paid whatever they priced it at for A3, that was a dead cert for me, no way I wasn't buying it. But they (A2/A3) are two different games, with a different feel to each, just imo.