Sign in to follow this  
mbbird

Reality Check

Honestly would be worth it. The island is beautiful, I've spent at least 10 hours driving around... flying around...

You actually made me facepalm... no one managed to do that before...

Honestly would be worth it. The island is beautiful, I've spent at least 10 hours driving around... flying around...

It's not just a great environment for the ARMA series, it's one of the best open worlds out there. Sure it's lacking creeks and rivers and whatnot, but it is beautifully detailed nontheless, despite the lack of forests, there is a lot of detail that breaks up the terrain and still makes it easy to hide and move unseen. Altis is perfect.

I know you have me on ignore because I keep destroying your "arguments" with all of those annoying facts and quotes, but have you considered logging off and just walking away from the forums if you hate the game so much?

Hey, you can shove your opinion up your ass ok? Because this game, ArmA 3... is the best launched game in the series to date. Just due to the island, and the fact the launch wont be a buggy DISASTER.

If you actually payed attention through all the years you've played this series, you'd realize that.

Hey, you can shove your opinion up your ass ok? Because this game, ArmA 3... is the best launched game in the series to date. Just due to the island, and the fact the launch wont be a buggy DISASTER.

If you actually payed attention through all the years you've played this series, you'd realize that.

I wasn't expressing any opinion. I did facepalm, like really in front of my computer lol.

YouMad.jpg

The fact that kids these days feel so entitled to get whatever they want... Funny when they realize life doesn't work that way.

I get it, a lot of the same stuff... but a lot of real life militarys do that, its actually common. Especially when it comes to down the rifles a soldier can/does carry.

/edit: And HKFlash, you can literally.. in the nicest way... eat shit. :)

It's not just a great environment for the ARMA series, it's one of the best open worlds out there. Sure it's lacking creeks and rivers and whatnot, but it is beautifully detailed nontheless, despite the lack of forests, there is a lot of detail that breaks up the terrain and still makes it easy to hide and move unseen. Altis is perfect.

I don't want to be picky, but it's the Mediterranean, there are no much rivers there, as much dry rivers that only fill themselves when it rains ( with quite violence ). And the forest its due to abuse of agriculture in the past. I'd lived more than 20 years in the Mediterranean coast, and I promise that the map is perfect ( even traffic signals ).

Arma 3 may have some issues, but the island is not.

I think you totally misread my post, I never said the island was an issue and I understand it's based on a real location. I'm just mentioning the things it's missing compared to other open-world titles. It has so much more to offer than most of them at the same time, especially compared to other FPS titles. For instance, Far Cry didn't feel like a real location, it felt like it was constructed to be a "game location." I love Altis, it feels like a real location.

You've done this with several of my posts, please keep in mind I'm far less critical of this game than yourself.

EDIT: Maybe English isn't your first language, with respect, and I can see how you may have misconstrued what I was saying.

It's not just a great environment for the ARMA series, it's one of the best open worlds out there.

This is not critical, what it means is "Altis isn't just good, it's great!"

Edited by Phlux1

The fact that kids these days feel so entitled to get whatever they want... Funny when they realize life doesn't work that way.

I get it, a lot of the same stuff... but a lot of real life militarys do that, its actually common. Especially when it comes to down the rifles a soldier can/does carry.

/edit: And HKFlash, you can literally.. in the nicest way... eat shit. :)

Oh, so you think we and the middle-eastern / Russian forces all have the same stuff? Guess again. And I must say "thanks" to the Russians for making my fine AKM. Love it!

---------- Post added at 03:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:12 AM ----------

I don't want to be picky, but it's the Mediterranean, there are no much rivers there, as much dry rivers that only fill themselves when it rains ( with quite violence ). And the forest its due to abuse of agriculture in the past. I'd lived more than 20 years in the Mediterranean coast, and I promise that the map is perfect ( even traffic signals ).

Yeah, was just watching a show on Greek islands the other day. BIS hit it dead on. UGLY! Sea, dirt, and scraggly small trees. About it.

I don't want to get too deep into the weeds on this, not too much at least. I see the points being made, but despite that, I refuse to allow them to overshadow what I still see as the bigger picture.

For YEARS prior to the existence of Arma, I was dreaming of an FPS where the worlds were HUGE and I could walk/drive/fly/enter buildings/whatever and just do whatever-the-frick I wanted. I remember seeing the fake backdrop mountains in Heretic and thinking "but, I want to go over there too..., why can't I go over there?" And Arma (despite its warts), is step by step fulfilling that dream. Sure, I hope they keep learning from critiques like this, and keep getting better, but in the meantime I'm just gonna deal with it and keep smilin', hoping they never stop.

But I will say this, what made me really feel compelled to reply, was this statement somebody quoted earlier in the thread, which apparently came from a blog post;

This has also led to a renewed stance to public statements - not confirming or announcing content before we are quite sure about it (starting October 2012).

I can't tell you how shocked I was to read that. Really!? Starting October 2012 ?! This is a lesson I was preaching till I was blue in the face to the mod team I was working with at least 10 Years Ago! How is it even possible that this is a lesson a pro team is learning in 2012.

Listen, I love you BIS, I even keep a link to Tophe's song 'o praise in my links folder. But seriously, on that topic, ya'll should have known better.

I don't want to get too deep into the weeds on this, not too much at least. I see the points being made, but despite that, I refuse to allow them to overshadow what I still see as the bigger picture.

For YEARS prior to the existence of Arma, I was dreaming of an FPS where the worlds were HUGE and I could walk/drive/fly/enter buildings/whatever and just do whatever-the-frick I wanted. I remember seeing the fake backdrop mountains in Heretic and thinking "but, I want to go over there too..., why can't I go over there?" And Arma (despite its warts), is step by step fulfilling that dream. Sure, I hope they keep learning from critiques like this, and keep getting better, but in the meantime I'm just gonna deal with it and keep smilin', hoping they never stop.

But I will say this, what made me really feel compelled to reply, was this statement somebody quoted earlier in the thread, which apparently came from a blog post;

I can't tell you how shocked I was to read that. Really!? Starting October 2012 ?! This is a lesson I was preaching till I was blue in the face to the mod team I was working with at least 10 Years Ago! How is it even possible that this is a lesson a pro team is learning in 2012.

Listen, I love you BIS, I even keep a link to Tophe's song 'o praise in my links folder. But seriously, on that topic, ya'll should have known better.

Two of their main art leads were thrown in a Greek prison... Maybe you should read the whole blog post.

BIS has done what their community asked them to, I hope we don't put them off doing public alphas and betas in the future, otherwise we will have taken a step backwards as a community.

And then both BIS and us (community) will lose.

Also just a comment on the copy paste stuff, if you didn't expect copy and paste in a game with Arma and a numerical identification after it then maybe you should go play COD series for a while to understand that the same name and a number after it usually means its got similar assets in it to the last one.

But at least BIS have the nice side and are actually letting us use Arma 2 in Arma 3, if this was any other company they would make you buy everything again.

So please can everyone now cut out this nonsense, you can have a total of 3 games(Arma 3, Arma 2, Op Arrowhead) with 3 DLC (BAF,PMC,ACR) and thats all before Arma 3 is even out.

If you disagree with me go and play BF3 in BF4 or COD 10 in COD11, or maybe Total war games all combined together, whats that? you can't? in any other game out atm?

don't get me wrong I disagree with using assets between factions but theres a much bigger picture here and your all apart of it, don't f up what weve got otherwise BIS will just turn into all the other game companies and make you pay through the nose just to get a scope for your rifle.

don't get me wrong I disagree with using assets between factions but theres a much bigger picture here and your all apart of it, don't f up what weve got otherwise BIS will just turn into all the other game companies and make you pay through the nose just to get a scope for your rifle.

To quote a famous motivational speaker who was laid to rest yesterday, "Bite my shiny metal ass". You're telling us not to speak up, because if we speak up the developers will turn against the community, kill us all off, and turn this game into Red River or something thereabouts. Are you really that afraid of BIS? Do you live in the China from 20 years ago, or the Russia from 60? Seriously? I might be pissed off about recycled content, I might be annoyed at the campaign, and you can bet your ass that I'm annoyed about the Fixed Wing situation, but until the day The Czech Republic gets nuked and the Bohemia offices are just a shelled out rubble that Dwarden lives in, I refuse to believe that. They may never give us everything we want, they may take our money and have a little evil laugh every now and then about giving us all little badges on the forums, but they DO listen, and they DO respond. You, sir, are a non-believer, and you can bite my shiny metal ass. I bid you good day.

faith, belief, and blind loyalty do not get you anywhere. speaking out does. interesting point you raise about bis listening. no point is listening if everyone just sits on their hands and praises dear leader like they can do no wrong.

faith, belief, and blind loyalty do not get you anywhere. speaking out does. interesting point you raise about bis listening. no point is listening if everyone just sits on their hands and praises dear leader like they can do no wrong.

But you guys are bitching about stuff they've acknowledged and are in the process of fixing, I suspect that at soon as the release is done we'll hear a bit more about what they have planned. You know what really gets you somewhere? Patience.

You completely misread my post. I was chastising him for telling us not to speak out because "if we do BIS will turn into EA." (Note: not his exact words, but essentially what he meant.) I'm pro-Bohemia, pro-Speaking up, and pro-Patience. Not once did I say BIS can do no wrong. They can and have. However, though it's been shaken several times, I still have faith in Bohemia, and for now that faith remains.

reactivate the old arma 2-3 models in a free dlc for arma 3 ..... i`m soooo miffed

well...

ArmA 3 (for me) is one of the best games in the series regarding it's features, world and so on. It feels much better and smoother than any of it's predecessors (playing regularly since ArmA, but also played OFP). The fact, that the playable content lacks in terms of variety is kinda disappointing me. seeing all the assets over and over again, no matter if vehicle, static or whatever, really kills the immersion.

QA is an important thing for sure, But i think it was aligned uniliteral. They concentrated on making a beautiful game with a beautiful big world and beautiful, working models and features, but it feels like they completely forgot about the variety which is a big part on todays battlefield and (for sure) the battlefields in future times (and at least is a big part of immersion)

...are just a shelled out rubble that Dwarden lives in...

ok, care to elaborate what this part was about ... cause no matter on what angle i take ... it sounds quite hostile

(sorry but can't escape my private Echelon)

I can just about live with the copy-paste models (just), but the Arma 1 vehicle optics are unforgivable....hope this is WIP!

ok, care to elaborate what this part was about ... cause no matter on what angle i take ... it sounds quite hostile

I think he was saying that he wouldn't believe that BIS is going to charge us for DLC vehicles until such time as the world is nuked and the BIS offices are reduced to rubble yet you will still live there in defiance of the end of the world. :)

aah that, so i'm the only alive in rubble ;) ... ok, guess i need another coffee ... my brain processing unit (BPU) is slower than usual

brain processing unit (BPU) is slower than usual

Jesus, gimme some time, I'm right here. :p

Anyway: My first post regarding this matter in this thread, referring to OP.

I watch it from 2 sides: From the user-friendly side or the avid sandbox user side.

Playing with mods is awesome, and admit it, who of us plays without mods. But they are not user-friendly. They often mess up configs, they have to be downloaded and installed, added to the damn List in steam or using a launcher. For admins you have to check the key, people may not be able to join on your server for what ever mod-related reason. This messes up playing a lot. But so does playing with lack of content.

I seriously think that we have not gotten enough content for A3. Related to that matter, I also think the initial price was too low for A3. Not in the current state, but a higher price maybe would've brought more budget and content.

I totally agree with OP, all in all A3 just lacks so much fun at the moment. Sure, Altis is one of the most beautiful things I've seen in ArmA, but shouldn't that be the standard for the content in A3? In years of development as full-time developers? I'm disappointed, and ask myself why BI, beside hiring good modders after modders (which is great), didn't get back to the Community and bought content and maybe pitched it up a bit. 3 unique vehicles per faction and type (APC, Transport, MBT, Heli, Jet, Jeep etc.) shouldn't be too much IMO.

Dwarden, I meant that in a very positive way. You will survive the nuclear holocaust, make your way to the Bohemia HQ, and live out the rest of your days cackling in a triumphant yet evil yet depressed manner, while training mutant rats to go out and bring you food and training a dog to search for surviving women. The day the world ends will be the day I lose faith in BIS. (I'm disappointed though. You guys should have a giant underground complex where all your community can ride out a nuclear holocaust while hooked up to VR sets with ArmA 17.)

I think he was saying that he wouldn't believe that BIS is going to charge us for DLC vehicles until such time as the world is nuked and the BIS offices are reduced to rubble yet you will still live there in defiance of the end of the world. :)

I was just saying I wouldn't believe Bohemia would turn against the community like he was implying. I can see a paid DLC of ArmA 2 content, to give everybody the "Current" equipment they miss, but first we will need them to provide more content, for free, in future updates so that we can fill out the ORBAT the way it should've been filled out if events hadn't prevented them from doing so.

If that All in Arma thing gets Bohemia's support, it could solve at least the variety issue, and make happy the people who don't care about future warfare.