Sign in to follow this  
Decemius

Incorrect placement of objects makes it impossible to create a base

Hello,

I tried to create a enclosure with H-blocks, every block was aligned perfectly in the editor. However when i test it everything is completely messed up, gaps everywhere and objects are far off from the scale they appear to be in the editor, example being perfectly connected objects turn out to be longer/shorter in game. So how do you create a enclosure/wall of objects? If perfectly aligning them produces a chaos then are you supposed to find the exact incorrect alignment, preview 20 times to make slight adjustments just to make a silly wall? I tried with other objects, created a bunch of perfectly connected objects and it appears they are also completely messed up.

I figured i would download the 3D editor after the September 12th release but that probably means i couldn't use the 2d editor anymore, and i do see it being useful. In any case shouldn't the developers map editor just work the way i imagine it to? Is it a bug? It certainly is not well known as i have made many searches and could not find similar topics. I have been working at a enclosure for 20-30 minutes now and it just isn't working, i am nearly close to cracking the editor code and the mess i created in the editor nearly looks reasonable but this is just tiring. Surely i am not the only one with this issue. Is this happening for you too? Any solutions?

Much appreciated.

Hello,

I tried to create a enclosure with H-blocks, every block was aligned perfectly in the editor. However when i test it everything is completely messed up, gaps everywhere and objects are far off from the scale they appear to be in the editor, example being perfectly connected objects turn out to be longer/shorter in game. So how do you create a enclosure/wall of objects? If perfectly aligning them produces a chaos then are you supposed to find the exact incorrect alignment, preview 20 times to make slight adjustments just to make a silly wall? I tried with other objects, created a bunch of perfectly connected objects and it appears they are also completely messed up.

I figured i would download the 3D editor after the September 12th release but that probably means i couldn't use the 2d editor anymore, and i do see it being useful. In any case shouldn't the developers map editor just work the way i imagine it to? Is it a bug? It certainly is not well known as i have made many searches and could not find similar topics. I have been working at a enclosure for 20-30 minutes now and it just isn't working, i am nearly close to cracking the editor code and the mess i created in the editor nearly looks reasonable but this is just tiring. Surely i am not the only one with this issue. Is this happening for you too? Any solutions?

Much appreciated.

The 3D editor does not require any download it is in the game already, its just not accessible without the use of a shortcut and .biedi (3d editor mission file).

I would recommend you go and have a look at GID-Object-Positioning-System. It might take a little while to understand its interface and how you get things into a mission, but it is far superior, realtime and just awesome.

Note the icons you see in the editor are just icons, some of the objects have icons that mimic real size, but if you have a [?] then you can be that its going to be nowhere near what you expect.

The same goes for houses and bamboo groves. The icon in the editor is nothing like the actual dimensions of the object.

We wouldn't actually need a 3D editor if it wasn't for this shit.

Like they said, you already have the 3D editor. I'm curious why you think you can only use one or the other. Why would you not be able to use 2d editor if you got the 3D? Anyway, you will have a bigger problem in the 3D editor. In OA I used to use the RTE and that was the best editor I've seen in any game I've played. But it has not been upgraded to arma3. So we are stuck with Bi's extremely terrible editor. Some say it's good for placing objects like you mentioned but it's not. The editor does not record height. You can put anything as high as you want but when it gets saved it only gets the location without height. Second, the objects follow the terrain. They won't flatten out so that they stand straight up. And their is no "init" to put in codes like "set vector up". Third, it does not save as sqf, which is what the 2d editor uses. It saves as sqm and biedi. It creates both of those. I found a tool a user made so that you can convert the sqm into an sqf, but it will not have any playable units. Only empty objects. oh, and when you place units, you have no idea which faction you are putting down. For example if you choose blufor, It will list every playable unit. Just using arma 3's units, blufor has FIA and Nato. So when you place a unit you have all those units in one column. You have 2 rifleman, 2 team leaders, ...etc..And it doesn't tell you which is FIA and which Is NATO. so you have to place the unit in order to see which one it is. Imagine if you have user created units to add to that. But it doesn't matter since they won't transfer to 2d.

There is one way you can get the objects to place correctly (depending on your location). In the 3d editor place all object on the airport runway. It's flat, so all your objects will line up correctly. Then you can convert the sqm to sqf. Then in the editor copy your objects from the runway and paste them where you want them. But if you put them on uneven terrain it will mess with the vectors of each object. If it's not too steep you can put the "set vector up" command but if it's too steep you will see space under the objects. But at least you have something to work with and you can make adjustments to their heights etc. in the 2 d.

So the bottom line is this; bi refuses to give us 3d editors that work. And knowing that, they can't manage to make objects the right size in the editor. Like you said, if you place objects according to the icon, they don't line up. How the hell can't they fix that. They give us all kinds of small objects with no way to place them where we want them. And with the terribly weak final product, Arma 3 is going to have to rely on user content. They really dropped the ball. It's real disrespectful for them to make us rely on user made addons. They even use that as a reason to buy the game. The "sandbox" content that sucks and the editors that suck. You can't tell me they can't make a reasonable editor. One that doesn't make you plop down objects in general areas.