apocalypex

[WIP] Video Streaming Mod

I've been thinking of this kind of mod for a while now and I finally decided to sit down today and write it. The idea is that mission makers can add videos to their missions or add a dynamic video player to their missions. The system is full programmable and takes youtube links as a source for the video. I'm planning a simple to use API for it too that will make it easy to use, on the lines of:

_video = ["http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8", noAudio, noVideo] call loadVideo;
[_video, _onObject] call playVideo;

New video with better syncing:

Panimala is making a nice big TV model for ingame viewing too, which will be included in the mod aswell.

Completed

• Streaming Youtube videos
  • Viewing videos in game
  • Audio (still needs some more work e.g. jip syncing)

To-Do

• Write API (video frame size, start points and more)
  • Add TV model to arma
  • Add TV interface to pick videos

Hope you guys like what I have so far.

---------- Post added at 04:36 ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 ----------

Requesting a mod to move this to http://forums.bistudio.com/forumdisplay.php?163-ARMA-3-BETA-ADDONS-amp-MODS-DISCUSSION I keep making this thread in the wrong forum by accident.

Edited by Apocalypex
  • Like 1

Awesome job with this. This could have many nifty (and silly) uses for missions. Imaging watching a briefing that is uploaded and streamed from YouTube, or a propaganda video.

Well.... holy shit.

Heh, exactly my thoughts =). Awesomeness, plain awesomeness.

Very impressive and great idea!

Wow talk about coincidence, I was just wondering if anyone had ever done anything to make it possible to make the AAN news studio act like a real news room with all the tv's behind it animated:

o9Zdie3l.jpg

Do you think it would work even if only for video making purposes?

Really great! I can't wait to try this out!

Is the fact that the source is youtube irrevocable? i.e. could it be possible in the future to load it directly from the mission folder?

This would be easier to use, smoother for people with a slow Internet connection and with less limitations regarding the content (the point is not to play explicit content in arma :), I am thinking about copyright issues and violence here).

Hmm, writing these lines, I begin to realize all the things that we will be able to do with this...This opens a whole new area for modding and mission editing!!!

Give-That-man-a-Medal.jpg

Wow, that's a great innovation. I've been waiting for such an addon for years. Just imagine what you can do with this!

--> outsourced ingame video briefing

--> working ingame TVs, computers and screens

--> Instore TV for ingame supermarkets

• Like 1

Impressive work here. Is it using flash player? Because that's whats used on youtube.

Impressive work here. Is it using flash player? Because that's whats used on youtube.

Nope, an extension I wrote to download and format the video using Arma2NET whichs formats it to be played in arma via scripting.

but the video you present is not streamed but a normal format already used , this is just a presentation of what you aim for right ?

or its actual presentation of stream from youtube Live ?

Seriously nice work on this project ! :)

Just a quick update, I fixed a few bugs. I found some more cool things you can do with arma, I might even be able to add another project I was planning to create into this one. That mod was to add radio stations to arma, but since I can get the music externally now and it doesn't need to be embedded into the mission I will plan on adding that functionality to this mod. So get ready to watch movies and listen to a synced global radio station in all vehicles ;)

Fixes

- Flickering when there was a framerate drop

- Audio now synchs correctly

Planned New features

- Stream/play plain audio files e.g. mp3/ogg from webservers

- Radio stations

- In game console or browser to pick youtube videos

New video will be up soon.

but the video you present is not streamed but a normal format already used , this is just a presentation of what you aim for right ?

or its actual presentation of stream from youtube Live ?

I dont fully understand your question. It's a real working thing currently, I give it a youtube address, and it plays it in arma. Does that answer your question?

• Like 1

yes ansers perfectly :)

i was lost at your present status , is it a plan or is it actual progress .

Now can you tell me , how you see this being used as i am intruiged if possible to maybe do some kind of Live Justin TV to Panel :) obviously youtube is great but limited to wel why not use existing precoded video and i believe DayZ will have live radio but Justin TV for roleplaying scenarios would be fantastic right down to some panel on door for "whos there "

thanks

R i.e. could it be possible in the future to load it directly from the mission folder?

I didn't get it too. Is it possible? Will be possible?

THIS is great ! What else could we pull in now ?

EDIT: Radio stations playing in Civ cars ! ATC feed to control towers ?

New video with better audio sync.

I'll be working on aspect ratio now to allow mission makers the ability to pick the ratio for the object/video. The TV model is done and being added ingame currently.

I'm thinking of naming the mod Media2Arma since I want to try and support as many media formats being played ingame from audio to video and even maybe gifs.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 17:04 ----------

Really great! I can't wait to try this out!
Is the fact that the source is youtube irrevocable? i.e. could it be possible in the future to load it directly from the mission folder?
This would be easier to use, smoother for people with a slow Internet connection and with less limitations regarding the content (the point is not to play explicit content in arma :), I am thinking about copyright issues and violence here).
Hmm, writing these lines, I begin to realize all the things that we will be able to do with this...This opens a whole new area for modding and mission editing!!!

The source of the media can be anywhere, I doubt I can get media from within a mission because it has been compressed into a .pbo, but I will try and see if I can. I didn't really think about doing that, if I get it working I will definitely add it. Edited by Apocalypex