Sign in to follow this  
mistyronin

A2 vehicles a solution or A3 lack of content?

Would you like optimized A2 stuff be in A3?  

277 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like optimized A2 stuff be in A3?

• Yes, I need lots of stuff, don't care if it was in A2 before.
    • I'm happy with what we have now, I'll wait for DLC for new stuff.
    • No way, I want more exclusive A3 stuff for free!

Let's lay off the personal attacks, "DM".

What indications are you talking about, specifically?

I suppose it ought to be pointed out that the poll is currently 75% "more content, even if it's from arma2."

Do you know what good companies do, DM?

Also DM, I asked you a question which you quoted and didn't answer.

Which other BI release had cheap lazy reskins as the only thing setting the factions apart?

What indications are you talking about, specifically?

BI staff's twitter feeds mostly.

I suppose it ought to be pointed out that the poll is currently 75% "more content, even if it's from arma2."

Yeah, go out on the street and ask people "do you want more <insert anything here> for free?" and ofcourse they're going to say yes.

This poll is completely useless.

Do you know what good companies do, DM?

Make fuckloads of money and not give a shit about anything else.

Also DM, I asked you a question which you quoted and didn't answer.

Enjoy that. :)

And there it is. You know you cant fight the facts, so you revert to name calling.

Classic.

this is till going?

i though BIS was taking the position of all assets must be made for this game, so we don't end up with really old models this time around. and considering how much they scraped in the interlude period they had when RL + community response to certain units lead to a focus change, its understandable why their is some much copy paste.

personally i think they should have moved the release back to Q1 2014, if not Q2

Onto something on-topic:

Marek statement gives me hope. But I'd like to see how and when is it gonna be done.

NOTE: Yeah I know, I'm quite picky xD

this is till going?

i though BIS was taking the position of all assets must be made for this game, so we don't end up with really old models this time around. and considering how much they scraped in the interlude period they had when RL + community response to certain units lead to a focus change, its understandable why their is some much copy paste.

personally i think they should have moved the release back to Q1 2014, if not Q2

No, that's not what they said. They said they'd release the library so that the community could essentially port and derive what they wanted for Arma 3. In other worlds, the community will get Arma 2 assets up to standard.

Problem is, as far back as the Steamworks announcement, the stated rationale pretty much implied that Maruk wasn't going to allow a 2014 release.

Onto something on-topic:

Was that posted in the forums?

Sounds nice and I'm glad they do it. Too late for me though, as I don't have as much time for modding as I used to.

Still we really could have used a simple arma2 vehicle addon for the public with working features. I actually had to scrap modding projects (post apocalyptic cars) because no example files other than outdated ArmA1 files existed back then (vilas was kind enough to release some A2 stuff later).

I hope we don't have to wait for the ArmA4 release to get ArmA3 vehicle examples :( .

Edited by Icewindo

That’s a lot to look forward to! How about the Arma 2 content library? Will there be some form of backwards compatibility?

Originally, we had an idea that was similar to Take On Rearmed. Unfortunately, upgrading the Arma 2 massive content library to Arma 3 standards is beyond what we can do in reasonable time. So instead, what we are going to do will be similar to Arma 1: we are going to release the entire Arma 2 library to the community and allow them create any derivative work within Arma 3. More details will be announced very soon.

So it's up to us modders (soon).

So is the solution now to charge for peoples mods?

"I think the next big thing could be opening up Arma 3 to paid user-made content. It’s great to see talented mod-makers pulling off amazing missions, add-ons and mods as free content, but if we manage to find some incentive for the best mod-makers to develop more content, I think we can raise the bar even higher. I want to push this effort in two distinct ways, and I consider these as a priority for next year. We are going to announce more specific details in the coming months."

Honestly, I'm not even sure if he's even got the idea formed enough for me to vote "yes" or "no" on.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if he's even got the idea formed enough for me to vote "yes" or "no" on.

I would pay for ACE and the FFAA mod to be part of the full game though!

And I would pay not to have ace
Ahahaha yeah this too.

One possibility I've seen and voiced is the idea of BI picking up certain mods to become paid DLCs and then paying those modders, instead of FSX-style payware that some people seemed to imagine...

You probably wouldn't see "part of the full game" unless a modder was outright hired by BI (I'm thinking of Smookie admittedly).

Think we can do without the "paid" shyt. OFP and A2 community was huge enough without it.

Bad karma when people get money involved. (example: Project Reality for ArmA2)

BIS DLC excluded of course

Gnat;2502426']Think we can do without the "paid" shyt. OFP and A2 community was huge enough without it.

Bad karma when people get money involved. (example: Project Reality for ArmA2)

BIS DLC excluded of course

Exactly. If anything' date=' I'd personally think that the idea of "paid" DLC that isn't made by BI would be a horrible idea.

Edit, unless they ended up [i']officially hiring[/i] someone, who would then become a BI employee, but that's a bit different.

Again, I'm wondering if Maruk is contemplating the idea of "FSX-style" payware or if it's something more "in-house" than that...

Exactly. If anything, I'd personally think that the idea of "paid" DLC that isn't made by BI would be a horrible idea.

Edit, unless they ended up officially hiring someone, who would then become a BI employee, but that's a bit different.

100% agreed

I think it's a good idea that certain mod makers, if their mod is judged to be of a similar standard to BIS work ( BIS would have to pass it ), to be able to sell their work, for a small fee. It works with other games out there. It takes a huge amount of time and talent to produce a high quality mod, that people do it for free is amazing, but I wouldn't mind paying a small amount. It could also attract a lot more talented people to produce work for the game. Saying that, I'd still expect more DLC from the company themselves free and otherwise to properly flesh out whats currently in game.

Stuff like this is why I'm not comfortable going "yes or no" on the idea, because I doubt if even Maruk has a solid idea of just what to actually do as far as paid user-generated content as opposed to voicing one of his "oh wouldn't it be cool if..." ideas... which is all that this is without substantive details.