Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

Disapointed with the full release content

i have to say i completely agree with @tyl3r99 i would have paid triple the price for arma 2 in the rv4 engine, it was ment to be a realism game and now its lost that in my opinion as we have jumped from like 2010 to 2035 or whatever the new date is

@Phluxus:

The rationale of the devs was explained when they announced that a campaign wouldn't be out with the release:

http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/394-survive-adapt-win

It's understandable that people are annoyed about the missing content, but all the constant complaining and negativity is one reason why I no longer visit these forums often.

t was ment to be a realism game and now its lost that in my opinion as we have jumped from like 2010 to 2035 or whatever the new date is

(Apologies in advance if this comes across as a bit ranty, its nothing personal)

I don't know why everyone gets so angry about this. We have a million games set in the early 2000s fighting in dusty deserts vs poorly equipped people with turbans and dark skin. Surely we can accept that BI decided to be different in some way and give the enemy tech and make the Westerners suffer some losses to be on equal ground? It makes an interesting and rather unqiue change of pace rather than typical not-Afghanistan enemies and Russian-inspired enemies by American forces.

That and the things featured are hardly sci-fi. We have drones that are used daily across the world to perform strikes. We have NVGs, Thermals, we have missiles that lock onto targets and GMGs and programmable airburst grenades. We have tablet computers that you could feasibly do a great amount of computing and communication, including GPS and the like which has always been somewhat shoehorned in as an in-game paper map. The features we have as players are now explained in-game as face-mounted computers and the like! In fact, the only thing that makes it stand out as 'futuristic' over the previous Arma titles is the fictional weaponry, the design and implementation of certain vehicles and the announcement that it is indeed 30 years ahead. A lot of the gear you could feasibly say is modern, but is being field-tested or for special forces only.

Frankly, a lot of things that are seen as 'future' tech are only seen as such because many see realism as fighting and utilising technology from the 90s or thereabouts. I'm not saying that military tech will be a million miles ahead in 20 years, but I currently have in my pocket a 4" touch screen device which can access any fact in the known world by me speaking to it. It also doubles up as a phone, messaging device, music player, gaming console and can be modified to do a lot more with a few presses and a 5 second wait. 20 years ago this device was the size and weight of a house brick and its only use was to call people on a crackly connection.

My point in this is that the term 'realism' is rather subjective. We may look back in 20 years and laugh that we thought that the future would be so 'primitive', much as we do today when watching sci-fis with 16 bit screen computers and everything being recorded on cassettes. I don't see much that the future setting does to diminish realism, barring getting up the dander to fans who just want to play "Shoot the Russians and their Turban Wearing Allies in 2007 Again Because Its Okay In a Game: The Game" once more. The most annoying thing being that these things will naturally be modded in almost instantly -and indeed have been with the introduction of AiA- thus making the realism claim rather redundant almost instantly. The game is still the same core mechanics as A2 was at the end of the day!

@Marcai

I'm one of the few who don't mind having slightly futuristic theme in Arma 3. It's actually quite better (and this is just my opinion) than we had in OA: the same typical rural landscape, Global Police Forces / The Good Guys vs T-55, etc. Finally in Arma 3 the bestfor (redfor) will have good equipment, etc. Pretty much everything else is is why I'm disappointed... ;)

Guys, do you know what i'll really miss in Arma 3?

Be able to get all my squad in a transport plane and fly through Altis from far away and then land in another airfield, deploy my troops and get ready for some battle nearby.

Isn't this RPG as well? Come on guys, please make this happen!

Just a complete lack of all aircraft, nevermind transport aircraft. Better be in the free DLCs or the ones I get for my supporters DLCs.

It's understandable that people are annoyed about the missing content, but all the constant complaining and negativity is one reason why I no longer visit these forums often.

It's not people's fault when BIS keeps withholding information about what will or will not be in the game and revealing that almost every single promise they've made will not happen in ArmA3 like ever only less than a month before release.

Like we've learned that the campaign will not be in the game from a 5 second part in a random presentation video for a webmag that's not even in english. So let's not blame customers.

Just a complete lack of all aircraft, nevermind transport aircraft. Better be in the free DLCs or the ones I get for my supporters DLCs.

They should simply throw out half the fake content from Arma3 and replace it with unique stuff for starters.

What if all of new stuff will be copy-pasted too?

Like we've learned that the campaign will not be in the game from a 5 second part in a random presentation video for a webmag that's not even in english. So let's not blame customers.

Funny but true.

Like we've learned that the campaign will not be in the game from a 5 second part in a random presentation video for a webmag that's not even in english. So let's not blame customers.?

Did we? I learned about it through an english magazine and later the BI official SITREP months ago.

Obviously the customers can't be blamed about the delay of the campaign, it was a BI miscalculation, for whatever reasons.

But they informed everyone through different medias and the official channels, so we were warned.

Anyway, maybe BI could make an statement about what they are working in right now, and what should we expect this next months ( if there is possibility of more content than the two jets, and what would be ).

https://twitter.com/maruksp/status/378232306994933760

Got to hope this really does mean something...

Well, we already know from SITREP #00025 that "there is a rather huge backlog of updates queued up behind our project's release data lock. Once this lock is relaxed on the 12th, our team is free to publish to Steam devbranch and you'll likely see many, many tweaks and fixes immediately." Nowhere near a guarantee that content is part of that backlog, but it's confirmation that a bunch of stuff was left out on account of "we had to lock this thing down sometime before September 12".

Sorry I didn`t read all the thread but did anyone mention a tank cant get over/through sandbags? Or wooden shacks?

Did we? I learned about it through an english magazine and later the BI official SITREP months ago.

Only recently we had this on their wesite FAQ (note the word "beta" and not "alpha" to justify the fact that we aren't talking about "months ago"):

Does the Arma 3 Beta represent final game quality?

No, all content in the Beta is subject to further change and polish as we proceed towards release. Furthermore, the full game will have a lot more actual content in the form of a campaign, scenarios, multiplayer, weapons, vehicles and of course the full Altis environment.

...but only now you can see this:

When will the campaign be released?

The campaign will be made available as FREE DLC episodes to everyone who owns Arma 3. The first episode (Survive) is scheduled for release within 4 weeks after launch on September 12. Episodes 2 (Adapt) and 3 (Win) will be released in the months thereafter.

...this is: trick the user (who pre-ordered before they made that decision public).

In fact we didn't know that the ton of stuff is gone and everything will be mirrored before March 5th. Remember that every single model in the game but 3d scopes was shown before summer 2012 so basically they did very much no new content since then. In fact a lot more models were shown pre E3 2012 and they are gone now. Same goes for features. We thought many are WIP that's why they are not in the alpha. As it turned out much much later they were not to come back to begin with (ACM, Secops, FAM, civilian module etc)

Obviously if BIS told people the truth before March 5th a lot wouldn't buy the game as you can tell by all the backlash. Smart move for BIS, very unfair move for us players. And then RiE wonders why the attitude on forums all of a sudden.

Edited by metalcraze

So you are all complaining because BIS will release more stuff later for free!?!?!

"Wah, I want it NAOW!!!"

Sheesh, kids these days....

Yes, I am disappointed that some features haven't made it in (ToH system) but I'm still hoping that it may come some time and I'm not going to whine about it cos A3 is still a great game and BIS will keep working on improving it unlike many other developers.

Edited by EDcase

So you are all complaining because BIS will release more stuff later for free!?!?!

"Wah, I want it NAOW!!!"

Sheesh, kids these days....

Yeah kids theses days. Pay money and then want a complete product for it. LOL!

ARMA3 IS a complete product.

There are games going on right now...

It just doesn't have all the toys yet.

Only recently we had this on their wesite FAQ (note the word "beta" and not "alpha" to justify the fact that we aren't talking about "months ago"):

Does the Arma 3 Beta represent final game quality?

No, all content in the Beta is subject to further change and polish as we proceed towards release. Furthermore, the full game will have a lot more actual content in the form of a campaign, scenarios, multiplayer, weapons, vehicles and of course the full Altis environment.

...but only now you can see this:

When will the campaign be released?

The campaign will be made available as FREE DLC episodes to everyone who owns Arma 3. The first episode (Survive) is scheduled for release within 4 weeks after launch on September 12. Episodes 2 (Adapt) and 3 (Win) will be released in the months thereafter.

...this is: trick the user (who pre-ordered before they made that decision public).

Isn't that called bait and switch?

ARMA3 IS a complete product.

There are games going on right now...

It just doesn't have all the toys...

You must be loved by all franchises. "I went to McDonalds and only got two patties when I ordered a BigMac. So what? They surely will deliver the buns & salad later..."

I think I have to explain it to you again little fanboy. You are not BIS "friend". You are their "customer". Got that? And when a customer PURCHASES something that turns out to be a serious dissappointment due to loack of content, then he has every right to complain.

No, that's when its done on purpose.

BIS just haven't had time to release everything together on the official day.

So the rest WILL come and for FREE, unlike 'Bait & Switch'

Depends how you interpret what was written. ;)

(...) the full game will have a lot more actual content in the form of a campaign (...)

Even if the campaign is delayed by four weeks (ok, the first episode, with more to come, yadda yadda), this is not a false statement, per se. The game is getting a campaign, just not right away. (Insert BIS trollface.jpg)

DISCLAIMER: Before everyone jumps on me, yes I agree that delaying the campaign was (IMHO) a bad decision on their part. Delaying the whole game would have been preferable.

..rant..

I have been around long enough to know that BIS WILL deliver more.

And I am MATURE enough not to have a tantrum because I understand that sometimes plans don't go smoothly and delays can happen.

Not going to discuss this any more with a spoilt kid.