Sign in to follow this  
Tyl3r99

Disapointed with the full release content

Alpha, Beta and Gold as software terms have definitions. If all a game did was print Hello World but had a beta label on it that wouldn't make it a beta.

So, this is a fraud? Especially when the game will be on sale on Steam as a "finished" game... but you say it will be beta?

So, this is a fraud? Especially when the game will be on sale on Steam as a "finished" game... but you say it will be beta?

That's quite a big leap. There are no legally binding definitions of when software can be considered alpha, beta or final.

If releasing a game in Arma3's current state were considered fraud, no game would ever get released for fear of massive law suits.

Jesus Christ, people expect A3 to have 100 vehicles and 200 weapons... BI is not an insanely huge company and the project had some big issues. Do you even understand that a 60€ game like COD has barely 10% of the content A3 offers? COD has no vehicles, small maps, barely any detail. Just because A3 is open world people expect it to have every little tiny detail that exists in real life:

-"BI please, why is the sun not in a correct position during the 2nd August in the editor. Broken game"

-"Why do we only have 4 APC's?! WTF BI? WORST COMPANY EVER"

-"AI can't properly load 1 launcher into a backpack. WTF are you doing BI?"

Do you guys even understand how much more detail BI has to put in this game compared to most AAA games on the market? What's the biggest thing COD devs have to worry about? Fish AI?! Give BI a break.

Btw. A3 is only 30€ right now.

This was posted yesterday, but it has been a recurring comparison in this whole asset argument. Stop comparing Arma 3 to COD or BF or whatever else. Seriously, stop. No one is complaining that Arma 3 isn't like COD. They are complaining that Arma 3 doesn't have as many different assets as Arma 2. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with any OTHER game. I honestly just want to see 2 things: Performance improvements and finished assets (so no incomplete stuff still in the game. All textures finished, shadow bugs fixed, etc, but no new content. That comes later, of course). But for those who complain about the universal turret and stuff like that, well that's a legitimate complaint considering Arma 2. So please, quit it with the attempt to divert the discussion towards COD/BF bashing. This has nothing to do with those games.

However, I'm surprised that it took people till now to realize that they were using the same turret on all the vehicles. There have been screens of the tanks, apcs, ugvs, etc, since at least last year. Some of these vehicles (especially the armor that came with the beta) were developed in 2011. And, they all had the same turret we see now. The one exception was the blufor Slammer which had a different turret. All else had the same one. So the time to have been complaining about the turrets was really last year. As far as the ugvs go, well I kinda wish they'd made different ones for NATO and CSAT. For one, if they'd taken existing ugvs, it'd have been a lot easier for them...

Edited by antoineflemming

However, I'm surprised that it took people till now to realize that they were using the same turret on all the vehicles. There have been screens of the tanks, apcs, ugvs, etc, since at least last year. Some of these vehicles (especially the armor that came with the beta) were developed in 2011. And, they all had the same turret we see now.

I think the reason for that is if someone complained back then, they would get flooded with reactions like: The alpha hasnt even been released yet, its an alpha or its a beta etc. Its probably more that it took people till now to realize that everything will stay like this and this is actually what we are getting for release.

So the time to have been complaining about the turrets was really last year.

Right, and have a wave of abuse telling you "The game isn't out yet" , or if you complained about it when the alpha came out you'd get the standard "This is ALPHA!" condescending responses.

You couldn't tell from a screenshot how identical the turrets were going to be, the sounds, the sights etc.

Two people beat me to it but basically if you complained from screenshots, people would bitch you out about how the game isn't out and it's all Work in Progress....

wish I would have known I was not going to be able to join other servers without reverting back. With such a short amount of time left I should have just waited.

You can switch back

Just watched the latest DayZ dev blog video and can't help but sulk, ARMA 3 could use some of the features like item degradation, weapon modification and locational damage. But instead DayZ got it's own retail release and no doubt took some developers with it that could of been working on ARMA :(

But instead DayZ got it's own retail release and no doubt took some developers with it that could of been working on ARMA :(

DayZ is what made A2 sell tons of copies... so I guess it make sense to use more resources in the product that sell more ( though it has been said that Arma3 Team is bigger than Dayz standalone ).

DayZ is what made A2 sell tons of copies... so I guess it make sense to use more resources in the product that sell more ( though it has been said that Arma3 Team is bigger than Dayz standalone ).

All it is it what aspect the developers are working on at the moment. Arma 3 will get a better medical system like dayz and other feature in time.

most of these people commenting for no release content have joined the forums either in 2013 or early 2012. Says something about the community and all because one zombie mod. Too many children now!

most of these people commenting for no release content have joined the forums either in 2013 or early 2012. Says something about the community and all because one zombie mod. Too many children now!

I'm complaining and I've been on the forums since 2006 (actively in 2009) and I've been playing the series since OFP.

Looks like your little observation is incorrect.

I got Arma 2 without knowing about Dayz after I was getting fed up with all the "balancing" in games like bf3.

Just watched the latest DayZ dev blog video and can't help but sulk, ARMA 3 could use some of the features like item degradation, weapon modification and locational damage. But instead DayZ got it's own retail release and no doubt took some developers with it that could of been working on ARMA :(

Hello there

I doubt that DAYZ development was in anyway counterproductive to releasing A3.

Who knows what developments made for DAYZ might make it into A3 in the possible future and visa versa. Remember though that DAYZ is more than a simple mod. Vast amounts of the engine have been reworked, so new features available in DAYZ may not be transferable.

I also think folk need to stop blaming DAYZ for all the ill's in the world. It's not evil. Its just a mod/SA and has as much or little worth as any other mod.

Rgds

LoK

Hello there

I doubt that DAYZ development was in anyway counterproductive to releasing A3.

Who knows what developments made for DAYZ might make it into A3 in the possible future and visa versa. Remember though that DAYZ is more than a simple mod. Vast amounts of the engine have been reworked, so new features available in DAYZ may not be transferable.

I also think folk need to stop blaming DAYZ for all the ill's in the world. It's not evil. Its just a mod/SA and has as much or little worth as any other mod.

Rgds

LoK

Is there a thread for discussing the two games with regards to sharing features?

Hello there

I dont know. it might be an interesting thing to have, but might become a little heated. We should have a search.

Rgds

LoK

I'm complaining and I've been on the forums since 2006 (actively in 2009) and I've been playing the series since OFP.

Looks like your little observation is incorrect.

natethegreat said most of the people. Since when does the words most of the people represent an individual or for that matter GossamerSolid ?

Are you most of the people are you ?

Edited by PartyHead

And then we have our "true" Arma fans all the way from 2010 posting immature dreck like that.

And then we have our "true" Arma fans all the way from 2010 posting immature dreck like that.

Incredible you make me LOL.

I've been on these forums since 2006, thanks to the hacking that happened I had to make a new account because my old one was tied to an ISP email that doesn't exist anymore. Like Gossamer said, you're incorrect.

Do you really want to bring the registration date into discussion?

just because people didn't join back in 1900BC doesn't mean they're children...

ive had arma series ever since OFP and ive joined the forums this year only because I wanted to contribute to A3

anyway back on topic: I guess we will see what happens on the 12th something may be improved who knows (no promises!)

The user was warned and surely won't do this again. Let's move on.

That's quite a big leap. There are no legally binding definitions of when software can be considered alpha, beta or final.

If releasing a game in Arma3's current state were considered fraud, no game would ever get released for fear of massive law suits.

In example WarZ (now survivor story) were sold as a finished product on Steam, but it was not... with all the consequences that we all know. There can't be any "mix" between beta and a finished product (whenever it could bugged or not). So a if we're beta.. we're beta.. if we're gold, we're gold. What will be added or fixed later in the game is another story... but you can't say: "we're selling the game as gold, but in reality we're beta", you're deceiving your customers... this is why I used the word "fraud".

In example WarZ (now survivor story) were sold as a finished product on Steam, but it was not... with all the consequences that we all know. There can't be any "mix" between beta and a finished product (whenever it could bugged or not). So a if we're beta.. we're beta.. if we're gold, we're gold. What will be added or fixed later in the game is another story... but you can't say: "we're selling the game as gold, but in reality we're beta", you're deceiving your customers... this is why I used the word "fraud".

Except that, again, there is no legal distinction between beta and final software, so a developer can decide to call their software final (and legally sell it as such) at any time. Modern games are usually so complex that they will never be completely "bug-free", so the line between beta and final is extremely fuzzy - it mostly boils down to a judgement call by the developer. In fact, "going gold" is simply defined as the point when the software is deemed ready to be released.

There is no such thing as "we're selling the game as gold, but in reality we're beta". Once you've gone gold, you are by definition out of beta.

As for WarZ, the issue there was somewhat different than you implied. It was supposedly released on Steam as a "foundation launch", but this was not made clear to the people buying it. The game's Steam page listed a whole array of features that would supposedly be in the final game at some point, but it did not clearly disclose the fact that the game wasn't actually finished. The listed features were described as if they were already present, which was a pretty serious misrepresentation of the game's content and could be seen as fraudulent. (Source.)

If they had simply labeled it more clearly and listed the "future features" as such from the beginning, there wouldn't have been a problem.

Edited by MadDogX