Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

No women at all

People asking for female characters have no idea how much work that would entail.

Since the difference between male/female would be purely cosmetic its not worth the effort to make new models, skeleton, clothes, attach points etc.

BIS could create a female head/face to choose but the bodies would remain the same to eliminate problems.

Actually I do know it's a ton of work.. doesn't mean there is any harm in asking, many of the other things being asked for are also a ton of work.

I get asked to do stuff at work all the time that is a ton of work, I imagine most people do, If I'm going to be stuck at work all day, I actually prefer to have a lot on my plate, passes the time.

We're not asking anyone to stay up all night unpaid doing it.

It's just paying customers asking a developer to add a feature to their software...

Edited by motorizer

Actually I do know it's a ton of work.. doesn't mean there is any harm in asking, many of the other things being asked for are also a ton of work.

I get asked to do stuff at work all the time that is a ton of work, I imagine most people do, If I'm going to be stuck at work all day, I actually prefer to have a lot on my plate, passes the time.

We're not asking anyone to stay up all night unpaid doing it.

It's just paying customers asking a developer to add a feature to their software...

One we figured was a no brainer, I agree with Misty lets not derail this thread with the science and ect it is really a moot point. I will say that Misty you are correct when it comes to mental stress I was referring to physical stress.

Yeah this is getting kind of dumb now. Women's roles are expanding more and more in the miltary. They deserve a place in the game as well, not only for simple immersion but also because we have female players! I have 3 female friends who have expressed a desire to have a female character to play as rather than just a male. You don't even have to designate specific roles, just put them in the game and make sure the uniforms work.

As to the ones that say having female characters serves no purpose - Yes it does, immersion and customization. Why have profile heads? Why have different uniforms? Or a variety of rifles or vehicles?

And no we don't have to lower the stamina and load ability. While it maybe true that the general female population generally can't cope with the work load of the modern infantry soldier. I know a few females who I'd bet on against just about anyone else I know when it comes to their physical ability, so when it comes to that I think we can give the characters the benefit of the doubt that they can keep up and perform just as well as the males.

And in case it's not widly known, people do like to have scenarios where they play civilian men and women...so there's another level of immersion right there.

because we have female players!.
Though I agree that at least civilian females would be a good addition to game I never understood specifically this argument. So what? Oh, let me guess we need male-version of Alice just because American McGee's Alice/Alice: Madness Returns have male players, am I right? ;) Well, then we also need younger version (alongside with female version) of Gordon Freeman because Half-Life have 18-20 years old players, tall version of Freeman (normal Freeman is not immersive enough for tall players), short version of Freeman, version_type of character_name and so on. :) Edited by Semiconductor

Anyway, there should be something related to women into the cfg.

Inviato dal mio GT-I9300 utilizzando Tapatalk

Though I agree that at least civilian females would be a good addition to game I never understood specifically this argument. So what? Oh, let me guess we need male-version of Alice just because American McGee's Alice/Alice: Madness Returns have male players, am I right? ;) Well, then we also need younger version (alongside with female version) of Gordon Freeman because Half-Life have 18-20 years old players, tall version of Freeman (normal Freeman is not immersive enough for tall players), short version of Freeman, version_type of character_name and so on. :)

It's because on Alice and on Half-Life you're playing as those set characters, and for other games, like ArmA, you're mostly playing as a general character so it is a nice addition that you have the choice to set him as you want.

I do want females characters in-game, the civilians would be priority but i do hope we have the option to set our characters gender too.

Though I agree that at least civilian females would be a good addition to game I never understood specifically this argument. So what? Oh, let me guess we need male-version of Alice just because American McGee's Alice/Alice: Madness Returns have male players, am I right? ;) Well, then we also need younger version (alongside with female version) of Gordon Freeman because Half-Life have 18-20 years old players, tall version of Freeman (normal Freeman is not immersive enough for tall players), short version of Freeman, version_type of character_name and so on. :)

Not at all. Those games aren't sandboxes. They're pretty much linear story lines, not having an option is expected with those kinds of games. Not having an option is expected with games like COD and BF3/4 as well because most of the stuff is done for you. It's very linear, pick your class, choose a weapon, go shoot. However it's much different with sandbox games like ArmA. As I said before, the thing that makes it great is that you have a choice to play how you want to play, where you want to play and hopefully, who you want to play as.

People like to identify with the character their playing as, not all... but I'd say a good percentage. If you've ever seen someone with a custom character in ArmA, maybe a contractor outfit, or hat with earmuffs, different color sunglasses.... You can bet they probably enjoy having some sort of control in their characters appearance. Something that they feel reflects what they like. For females... having a female character could do this even more, plus it's just more realistic.

Not to mention having female soldiers opens up the additions to more immersive and realistic scenarios. E.G. FET Marines (A.K.A. Lionesses.)

It's because on Alice and on Half-Life you're playing as those set characters, and for other games, like ArmA, you're mostly playing as a general character so it is a nice addition that you have the choice to set him as you want.

I do want females characters in-game, the civilians would be priority but i do hope we have the option to set our characters gender too.

People like to identify with the character their playing as, not all... but I'd say a good percentage. If you've ever seen someone with a custom character in ArmA, maybe a contractor outfit, or hat with earmuffs, different color sunglasses.... You can bet they probably enjoy having some sort of control in their characters appearance. Something that they feel reflects what they like. For females... having a female character could do this even more, plus it's just more realistic.
Thanks, now I see the point. :) Concerning missions with story lines: I think there should be a way for mission maker to strictly predefine gender of certain units that cannot be overriden by player settings, just to prevent possibility of female John and male Lacey.

...male Lacey.

Quick! Someone tell BIS they screwed up their campaign!

Edited by roshnak

Females should in my opinion be in Arma 3, they were in Arma 2(OA) as civilians and even 1/2 military mods I believe, people need to realize females do play this and other similar games too and should not be ignored or excluded from in character form from something they can even do in RL (Join the military).

I humbly bump this thread as I would love to have female civillians for my campaign.

Totally agree, what the f*** Bohemia? You advertise your game as authentic but it lacks believability! No female citizens, real citizens, there are super advanced enemies and an advanced local military, no real vehicles/weapons, it is so dissapointing :/ especially all of the features that were showcased and confirmed but never were added.

I humbly bump this thread as I would love to have female civillians for my campaign.

hah. forget it.. this is the gay mans game. lovely rainbows. fancy pink clouds. men running around on the beach in the underwear.

just need some hip dancing animation and a bar building & some cocktails :p

But seriously. female has a high number of votes. " http://feedback.arma3.com/plugin.php?page=Vote/list_bugs "

but at the same time. lots of people dont want females ingame. just makes me wounder. should i joke about the above or not..

i do to want females ingame. i can even remember prealpha, a screenshot of a swimming bikini girl. damn you bis, where is she.

makes me wounder. dont bis likes girls. :p

They were in A2 as ambience(you know when you drive in a town and not feel like you're in Innsmouth).If ambience is not your thing BI could upgrade them a bit and make them use small arms or drive vehicles.Thing is some of us can have some diversity in scenarios than making classic "war" missions.That's why in A2 you saw mods like civ vehicles or a whole mod dedicated to emergency branch with ambulances,cop cars and so on.Or maybe pmc mods,zombies,or that SW mod and I could continue.....point is not everyone wants to play everytime those "war scenarios".For you this game might be only "play as a soldier" which is totally fine by me,for me it could mean lots of things when I'm toying with the editor.

Going by your logic I don't use the hatchbacks in game so BI shouldn't had bothered with them.I also find the underwater quite pointless and waste of resources,for example they could have made some destroyers not dilly-donging around in those mini-subs and look in awe at underwater rocks,so yeah that should have been cut too.

Also I'm aware this isn't the biggest problem in-game right now but guess what,there are crapload of other threads about the A3 issues or c/p content which I'm also interested in.This thread is about no women in A3.

Believe me you or others throwing gems like "yeah I don't care about women in A3" aren't bringing too much to the discussion.At least that guy DM had some points regarding this whole deal.

Totally agree

Yep. Still pretty bad that there aren't any women in the game.

I still hope we'll see some with the third campaign episode.

Hope dies last I guess.

I have serious doubts. It's pretty remarkable though.

there will be woman, there in the configs as i mentioned in the other no women thread there will be hags farm women and beach babes just have to wait for them to come in the updates

There's so much stuff in the config files, if only a fraction of it makes it to the stable build I'd be surprised.

Just think about motorcycles/bicycles, civilian transports like planes/busses etc.

Yeah well it's quite logic though, for the campaign takes place on Mykonos island.

Either am missing something, or you may want to recheck which real life island Altis is based on.

Mechanically speaking, this probably isn't going to happen. There's 3 ways BIS can integrate female characters into the new engine:

1: Female characters would be set up in the same way as animals (ie, an extremely limited character class, like in ArmA.2), <sarcasm> which I'm absolutely certain would be a perfect solution that wouldn't make anyone unhappy. </sarcasm>

(nb - if it does happen, that's how it's going to happen)

2. Simply have a female head model (similar to how we have a beard head model) and voice. If BIS did this everyone would accuse them of half-assing it, because you guys are dicks like that.

3. Create a female version of each character model (including all proxies). Completely rewrite the uniform code so that the female models are applied to characters who are female. Do all the animations for female characters. After completely recreating all of their work, BIS has slightly appeased the handful of players who wanted a female character model, and everyone who's been complaining about the lack of shotguns, a "proper" 3D editor or <INSERT VBS FEATURE HERE> is angry because they didn't get what they wanted.

It's not a pretty truth, but oftentimes the truth isn't.

Mechanically speaking, this probably isn't going to happen. There's 3 ways BIS can integrate female characters into the new engine:

1: Female characters would be set up in the same way as animals (ie, an extremely limited character class, like in ArmA.2), <sarcasm> which I'm absolutely certain would be a perfect solution that wouldn't make anyone unhappy. </sarcasm>

(nb - if it does happen, that's how it's going to happen)

2. Simply have a female head model (similar to how we have a beard head model) and voice. If BIS did this everyone would accuse them of half-assing it, because you guys are dicks like that.

3. Create a female version of each character model (including all proxies). Completely rewrite the uniform code so that the female models are applied to characters who are female. Do all the animations for female characters. After completely recreating all of their work, BIS has slightly appeased the handful of players who wanted a female character model, and everyone who's been complaining about the lack of shotguns, a "proper" 3D editor or <INSERT VBS FEATURE HERE> is angry because they didn't get what they wanted.

It's not a pretty truth, but oftentimes the truth isn't.

Finally, someone who gets it.