Sign in to follow this  
almanzo

No women at all

Why is not BIS adding woman characters for Arma3? did we get any official response of why? I know that probably there is only one woman for every 1000 guys playing Arma but... it would be a nice addition. So far I only know one girl that played for very long time in my community, and she uses the Female Addon for Arma2. Another girl with Shack Tactical, and another one in United Operation I think. And we also know those kids using the woman model in Arma2 but that doesnt count.

• Like 1

Probably because their content making\polishing is tied to the campaign content. Survive = Stratis = Military Island = No civies.

Makes sense?

Probably because their content making\polishing is tied to the campaign content. Survive = Stratis = Military Island = No civies.

Makes sense?

So they may pop up in Altis ?

Yes, because porting is always easy...

i never said it was easy...i said it was easier.

Because it is more than just the models that would be needed.

which is what they have already (anims and a skeleton). which is my point. they have more than models...

Yes, they are identical. Both games can not handle multiple skeletons using weapons/vehicles/anything else rtm driven - you have the standard male skeleton, and that can do everything. As soon as you add a new skeleton, it can not, by default, use weapons/vehicles/anything else rtm driven. It is the nature of the system.

that's interesting. can you explain that more detailed? how come the engine can't handle that? i'm genuinely interested although it's not what i'm asking for which should be clear by now.

also. just reminding you (again). i was talking about females like in arma 2 so yea. i fail to see the difference between arma 2 and 3 in that regard. yes water. i volunteer to make those few swimming anims if they give me the female skeleton :P.

your argument is simply "porting is not easy". yes. so what? it's certainly much easier than what you constantly say i'm asking for which i'm not. i hope that's clear now. ;)

you can say whatever you want but saying that having females to a degree like in arma is remotely as much work as having them be able to do anything males can is nonsense. you kinda keep falling back to weapons etc. which, again, isn't what i'm talking about at all. but i see. it helps your argument. :P

My are non-armchairness?

you're mean :( yes i made a spelling error. you got me...

I never said it was hard. I just said it was a lot more work than you claim it to be

i have a hard time finding where i said it's easy or said how long it would exactly take. all i'm saying is that it's possible and not the insane amount of work you are trying to make it look by constantly talking about non civ activities like weapons.

if making stuff that is reasonably possible is not easy enough for the people who made the engine then i don't know what to say really. :shrug: give up? make a smaller game overall?

Well that's great for you. Pretty sure that DnA and RiE feel differently tho.

then they are too sensitive for their own good. simple as that. people are already very forgiving considering the difficulties of yet another release. no need to waste tears on some people voicing their opinion or being very vocal about their wishes on the forum. arma is a beautiful monster. no amount of cutting will change that. it's better to rock it than trying to hide it by cutting stuff that wasn't the problem in the first place. just imho ofc.

Again, in your opinion.

From an "educated" point of view, it is a lot more work (even to do your "simple" port) than you suggest it is.

uhm. you might want to read again what you quoted me saying there, i was merely comparing civ vs military implementation not saying "it's easy just do it. one day of work".

anyways. we basically agree other than that i say "BI gogogogo move your ass" and you say "leave them alone they have enough on their plate already". just a difference in attitude although i realize that they are even struggling with getting the campaign out *sigh*

Because the aforementioned devs have stated time and again that they want A3 to be better. And being better means cutting features that are incomplete. Females being unable to use weapons or drive vehicles (or do anything else cool that was introduced for the human models in A3) seems pretty incomplete to me.

this is going in circles. i agree that this is the reason. i just disagree with that practice. if the game gets smaller and smaller i fail to see the benefit of that logic. it's fooling yourself. females were not what made arma 2's launch insanely buggy at all. giving the modders something to build on is way better than nothing at all. why not go the Marian Quandt route? it would be better than what we have now.

all we are doing here is exchanging tendencies in attitude towards BI. as i see it we basically agree about what the other person said. i guess you are somekind of ex-BISim contractor or something and feel somehow close to them. it's fine. i got no beef with that. but please stop tying to find excuses. i know it's work. i'm not disagreeing. i'm suggesting a simpler way of implementation and you are simply saying "nuhuh still too hard and also weaponz". ok then. at least we have a huge island. :D

i hereby leave the vortex of opinions. :D

Makes sense?

totally does. i hope that's how it'll go.

Edited by Bad Benson

Why is not BIS adding woman characters for Arma3? did we get any official response of why? I know that probably there is only one woman for every 1000 guys playing Arma but... it would be a nice addition. So far I only know one girl that played for very long time in my community, and she uses the Female Addon for Arma2. Another girl with Shack Tactical, and another one in United Operation I think. And we also know those kids using the woman model in Arma2 but that doesnt count.

Like honestly, who cares?

It provides minimal use to the game, and they have to make so much more stuff for the game just to please a very small minority. Its not needed, and you cant use the arguments that females are discriminated in any way, im sure its not because of that.

Like honestly, who cares?

It provides minimal use to the game, and they have to make so much more stuff for the game just to please a very small minority. Its not needed, and you cant use the arguments that females are discriminated in any way, im sure its not because of that.

This is by my count the third incarnation of this thread, it is safe to say people care.

It's probably just as well that women aren't in arma 3 since BIS wouldn't give them the ability to hold guns anyway.

Someone must be a psychic, to tell that from text.

No, just possess a basic ability to read.

This is by my count the third incarnation of this thread, it is safe to say people care.

Seeing as all threads have had a healthy number of people opposed to the idea as well, I think it's also quite safe to say that a significant amount of people sincerely does not care and/or would rather BiS focused on something of actual consequence, instead.

...I will admit that I am less likely to shoot a "female" video game character than a "male" one, as stupid as that sounds

It doesn't sound stupid so much as offensive, irrational and genuinely worrying.

Edited by St!gar

healthy number? all i see are a vocal minority who think having an entire island without a single female civilian is fine in terms of realism. most people are pro-women in game.

The people who actual care if women are in the game or not are the minority... Most could give 2 shits about women characters, just as with any other tactical shooter. The only people who care are mostly role players. Which indeed are the minority. Which are here in this thread.

Well, i think i've seen some females on some DayZ SA Screenshots.

So the easyest for BI would be to thake that sceleton and add it to the SDK, i think there are ppl that are willing to do animations for it if they need it.

Tadaaa, BI has no work and for modders it would be possible to have females in mods.

Beat me if i'm talking shit here :o

Makes sense?

So they may pop up in Altis ?

Probably, there have been several hints to it. Like the LadyGlasses. My guess is that more stuff will come up with the campaign, we just have to wait.

I could be wrong, though.

Well there are lots of countries where women in the army are allowed to fight. Women in combat ( and other ones ).

In the army I've served with women that were more capable than most of men.

Sure enough. A Norwegian, female soldier was just awarded the "Forsvarets Insatsmedalje med rosett" - The Army Efforts medal with rose" for and I quote: For courage and will above and beyond what can be expected in a very dangerous situation in Afghanistan in 2011.

Toft showed a heroic effort and did not for a second withdraw from her task, but supported her squad leader during EOD clearance while under constant fire"

Yup, women have their place in bot RL armies and should be in the game...

The people who actual care if women are in the game or not are the minority... Most could give 2 shits about women characters, just as with any other tactical shooter. The only people who care are mostly role players. Which indeed are the minority. Which are here in this thread.

that's false. I'm a mil sim player. So what's my reasoning? Most of you are missing the point wether they will or won't is up to BIS but I would like to see there explanation for not doing it.

You can't promote a game as realistic and not have the other sex obviously missing that's just dumb. I'm sure there is a valid reason that I probably won't agree with but there still needs

To be a reason.

• Like 1

i actually don't care THAT much either. i just have this bad habit of letting myself drag into these things (yes i seek them too) ;) my beef is more with this general attitude of cutting parts from the game. it's false logic especially when it comes to the female civs as i said before.

what you say about role players is just a prejudice though. it's just another case of this kind of serious sim/PvP gamer elitism. a bigger variety of civs, even if just males, is simply useful for scenario designers and stuff like MSO. most (and the amount of PvP servers shows that) arma players don't view the game as a "map based shooter" with "dudes vs dudes". this sandbox thing isn't new. it was always about having a real environment to stage your missions in. i'd bet my balls that if it wasn't for performance that each dom type mission would have civs in it just for immersion and rules of engagement kind of stuff.

Civs add an entirely new level of game play. I've shot my share of civs driving pickup trucks in this game

Maybe we just think that it's unacceptable that 50% of the population is not represented at all.

Maybe we just think that it's unacceptable that 50% of the population is not represented at all.

Don't women make up more than half the worlds current population?

That's a silly argument. What's the current female population in the Arma community? I think we've come to the same point the other thread was closed.

It's likely female models will come later anyway since DayZ is using the same skeletons as Arma3 and the two teams share their assets. I suspect BiS has other priorities that are much more pressing than pandering to your guys' feelings though.

Edited by dunedain

since DayZ is using the same skeletons as Arma3

wrong

That's a silly argument. What's the current female population in the Arma community? I think we've come to the same point the other thread was closed.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize we were only depicting the portion of the population that plays arma. If that's the case, they need to add a few pounds to the player models.

It's likely female models will come later anyway since DayZ is using the same skeletons as Arma3 and the two teams share their assets. I suspect BiS has other priorities that are much more pressing than pandering to your guys' feelings though.

They shouldn't have other priorities since we are the ones paying for their games, and have been for the last decade.

They shouldn't have other priorities since we are the ones paying for their games, and have been for the last decade.

Sorry but I really don't think you're representative of this community in any way. For most people here, it's not that big of a deal. That tiny very vocal minority whining over and over gets annoying though, and that's not the first time we've been talking this over in similar threads and we already know how it's gonna end. Sorry...

wrong

Well too bad then I guess.

Edited by dunedain

I think there should be atleast female civilians. I know several female Arma series players that have been complaining about the lack of female soldiers for a long time, we all know the arguments for both sides. I'm still waiting on the day my wife wants to edit a mission with me!!!! haha ;)