Sign in to follow this  
Yairweinberg

Tanks are... Kinda weak...

Who said they are lazy? Who said absolutely that the second variant of Slammer will not be put there later?

Because after 3.5 years of development they still haven't fixed the first variant?

Oh you know what? You are so tough and smart, go and make your own game that have the same scale like ArmA, especially considering such things like time limits, money, resources.

When you receive a broken TV do you hear a manufacturer tell you "don't like it? go make your own!"?

Seriously never use this in your arguments if you want them to have weight - it makes you sound like an offended teenager.

Maybe it is not that easy? Maybe game mechanics do not let to do such complex things?

Game mechanics allow for loaders and dedicated commander MGs on tanks yet somehow those are not in ArmA3 either.

And why should I care? In 3.5 years they could've added at least something new to tanks, no?

Do you'r even aware of all possible limitations?

Do you?

Who said that there are bad tanks in ArmA3? In fact there is visible significant step forward compared to previous games.

OK. Tell me what exactly is a step forward about ArmA3 tanks?

I just had a funny moment, running with a tank into a lightpole and it exploded. This was kinda weird. Damian, do you think this is supposed to be like that? ;)

Because after 3.5 years of development they still haven't fixed the first variant?

When you receive a broken TV do you hear a manufacturer tell you "don't like it? go make your own!"?

Seriously never use this in your arguments if you want them to have weight - it makes you sound like an offended teenager.

Game mechanics allow for loaders and dedicated commander MGs on tanks yet somehow those are not in ArmA3 either.

And why should I care? In 3.5 years they could've added at least something new to tanks, no?

Do you?

OK. Tell me what exactly is a step forward about ArmA3 tanks?

Why don't you just leave instead of just raging at everything that disagrees with you on the forums?

Why don't you just leave instead of just raging at everything that disagrees with you on the forums?

Someone made a very accurate Merkava MK4 in Arma 2 as a mod, but didn't release it. Though from. The videos it looked like the engine could handle it.

But then there would only be 9 of us! Seriously, has anyone noticed how dead the general part of the forum has become? I could probably count the main posters on two hands.

Does not bode well for vanilla A3. I see potential for a game in A3, but I really don't see a good game yet. It seems all rushed and unthought out.

I just had a funny moment, running with a tank into a lightpole and it exploded. This was kinda weird. Damian, do you think this is supposed to be like that? ;)

Note to self, avoid light poles!

Edited by Harry Canyon

Someone made a very accurate Merkava MK4 in Arma 2 as a mod, but didn't release it. Though from. The videos it looked like the engine could handle it.

Aww, that's a shame. Would have been cool.

Ugly low poly turret, very muddy texture, missing gunner hatch, an empty carrier for an MG that coupled with everything else makes the tank look like a quickly made placeholder for the real thing.

Another bullshit rant in the metalcrazy "hate on the developers" crusade.

1. The turret is anything but low poly. Its "ugly" because the Merkava is "ugly" in real life, and the polycount seems to match that of the other assets (can't know for sure until I get my dirty hands on the raw p3ds, but it certainly looks ok)

2. Maybe you just have a shit PC, because it looks crisp and sharp to me. Upgrade, then whine more that you dont get 349536497532 FPS on your super PC.

3. lol, real life would like to say hi. As mentioned, the Merkava does not have a hatch in the turret for anyone but the commander.

4. Because every military vehicle always has all of its weapons mounted all the time. Tho you'd be bitching about it being completely missing if it wasn't there at all... A quick image search (lol, research, who needs to do that, right?) shows the Merkava is seen quite often in all 3 "configurations" - w/o mount, w/ mount, w/ mount & gun.

5. In your opinion all of arma 3 is a "quick placeholder". This is why people call you out and say "you do better then" (see below). Because until you do, you're nothing but a whiney cunt that trolls the forums.

One of the first screenshots show MG being there (the model they later reused for static MG) but OK you can keep excusing BIS laziness.

Because removing an existing part of a model to suit a design decision is lazy...

Also, weren't you just warned about insulting the devs? (Please, keep it up, then they can ban you and we can go on and live our forum-lives in peace)

Compared to you, who sounds like a whiney teenager...

And, this is a very different analogy, and actually a perfectly good example. You know how this whole thing started? Oh, yeah, thats right. Some guys decided that there weren't any games out there that did exactly what THEY wanted, so they set out and made their own. Here we are, ~15 years later, and they have to put up with smartasses like you, who have contributed exactly nothing to the creative process, yet preach about game design as if you're the next Peter Molyneux or Sid Meier, when really you are a nobody.

Do you'r even aware of all possible limitations?

Do you?

I'd suggest you go learn to make mods, then you can see what is really involved. But you'll just bitch and moan incessantly about that too.

But, I do know about the limitations involved, and can say that while it would be possible to add the remaining items to the vehicle, they introduce complications (as Damian has already mentioned), which for the gameplay "advantages" they bring are probably not worth the effort. Not to mention having to somehow balance the mortar (yeah, thats gonna make you rage too, isnt it ;) )

There's no artificial balance. And no need to be rude. We are very early in the games life, things will improve, we will see the Opfor tank get a coaxial and the merkava get all it's goodies. But things take time. Just because you "think" you know what the developers want doesn't make you right. It all comes down to resources and time on the long waiting list of stuff for the game.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Aww, that's a shame. Would have been cool.

Hopefully down the line we do see the correct merkava and don't have to use mods as a fix.

Well this is a bug, the question is, what is the reason of such bug, is it a tank config, or perhaps something with a map. And such bug needs to be solved as a higher priority problem than "lack of extra MG". Don't you think? ;)

Snip

You are the most fantastic person I've ever seen on this forum. Godspeed.

Oh, by the way, metal apparently acts like even more like a nutcase on his home forums of RPG codex, where I swear they idolize him for saying that EA is better than BIS. 10% legitimate argument, 90% I-hate-Czech-hatemail.

( http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/i-was-ready-for-fun-but-then-bohemia-interactive-cockblocked-me.81019/ )

Huh.

Yeah.

Edited by steamtex

You are the most fantastic person I've ever seen on this forum. Godspeed.

Oh, by the way, metal apparently acts like even more like a nutcase on his home forums of RPG codex, where I swear they idolize him for saying that EA is better than BIS. 10% legitimate argument, 90% I-hate-Czech-hatemail.

( http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/i-was-ready-for-fun-but-then-bohemia-interactive-cockblocked-me.81019/ )

Huh.

Yeah.

metalcraze -->"But overall I can say it's the best ArmA game to date."

Insults dyslexi in the first post then praises him later??

That thread is gold. And i havent even finished it yet. I didnt know forums could be as bad as youtube comments. Its like 4chan only not funny or smart. I guess man children should have their own forum.

I feel somewhat like a child for posting this, but thanks for sharing that link.

Wow.

A completely different, pandering personality for a different forum audience. What an attention-whoring ******

The new Thiaf game is MASSIVE decline

Wanna bet most of you will buy it and like it?

Post by: MetalCraze, Yesterday at 11:40 PM in forum: General Gaming

MetalCraze

Even Call of Duty: Ghosts is going PC hipster these days

Why? It would make a fitting addition to the rest of your Day 1 purchases

Post by: MetalCraze, Yesterday at 11:38 PM in forum: General Gaming

MetalCraze

Yet you still will buy it come Nov 5th

Post by: MetalCraze, Yesterday at 1:05 AM in forum: General Gaming

MetalCraze

What's wrong with shooting russians?

Post by: MetalCraze, Wednesday at 1:52 AM in forum: General Gaming

MetalCraze

Screenshot thread

No more like the dude is trying to be edgy about complete fixing some of the most glaring issues with Stalker.

Post by: MetalCraze, Tuesday at 8:09 PM in forum: General Gaming

MetalCraze

Age of Wonders 3

Yeah so what are you and other people doing in this thread then? Since you know graphics and gameplay are made by the same people.

Post by: MetalCraze, Sunday at 1:46 PM in forum: Strategy Gaming

MetalCraze

Screenshot thread

I installed SGM 2.2. It dropped me into SoC's cordon and 100m later everybody started shooting at me. I uninstalled SGM 2.2.

Post by: MetalCraze, Sunday at 1:42 PM in forum: General Gaming

MetalCraze

Paradise Lost

Oh look another Shit Indie Game

Post by: MetalCraze, Sunday at 1:53 AM in forum: General Gaming

MetalCraze

Worthwhile WW2 games

Combat Mission series

Post by: MetalCraze, Oct 26, 2013 in forum: Strategy Gaming

MetalCraze

Codex Diversity Squad (Steam Multiplayer Group)

What can change a genre of a game?

Post by: MetalCraze, Oct 25, 2013 in forum: General Gaming

MetalCraze

I was ready for fun but then Bohemia Interactive cockblocked me

Well they just released a first campaign episode on dev branch. Haven't touched it yet but people say it's like Call of Duty where you are being hand...

Post by: MetalCraze, Oct 24, 2013 in forum: Sims & City Builders

MetalCraze

Games of the Weak

Post by: MetalCraze, Oct 23, 2013 in forum: General Gaming

MetalCraze

The game of the week will be waiting in PoE's queue

MetalCraze

Titanfall (Respawn shooter)

Yeah games play differently. Surprise! Those are not concepts. Those are retards grinding every inch of a level to death instead of enjoying the...

MetalCraze

So, season 3 of Homeland is terrible and not worth anyone's time?

What a load of bullshit. Why the fuck did she act surprised her credit cards were canned? That her deposits were frozen? It isn't like anyone was...

Post by: MetalCraze, Oct 23, 2013 in forum: Codex Public Library

Everything is shit fuck everthing etc etc etc.................

Insults dyslexi in the first post then praises him later??

That thread is gold. And i havent even finished it yet. I didnt know forums could be as bad as youtube comments. Its like 4chan only not funny or smart. I guess man children should have their own forum.

Yep, just wanted to prove that Metalcraze is, indeed, off his rocker. Praises the game one minute, insults the whole series the next, and then insults the devs for being Czech, before praising it again.....

This is really off topic from the thread, seriously. And could very well be against forum rules.

This is really off topic from the thread, seriously. And could very well be against forum rules.

Metalcraze is against the forum rules :p

All that aside, yeah I think tanks could use a slight buff. Slammer should have 12.7mm and 7.62mm machineguns instead of a 6.5mm, and Varsuk needs a gunner MG.

If the motivations and psychology of why bis did what they did, is up for discussion. Which it is, in every page on every thread. Then the motivations of forum members should also be.

Back on topic, we can see here that a mortar system for the Merkava is in fact possible:

I just trashed an entire reinforced company of AAF (commanded by Rydigiers excellent HAL: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167717-HETMAN-Artificial-Leader) commanding a single Slammer, not using manual fire. I took at least three (possibly five) PCML rounds and was fired at maybe eight times. In the end, I sat disabled in a field and was machinegunning people left and right. I think there may be balancing problems as far as the lethality of the weapons goes, as well as the AI's ability to engage tanks, and employ tanks (because the AI AMV, Panther and Slammer in the same mission did pretty much nil.) that needs to be looked at.

tl;dr: Tanks are as deadly as the training and tactics of their crews allow, pretty much.

I just trashed an entire reinforced company of AAF (commanded by Rydigiers excellent HAL: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?167717-HETMAN-Artificial-Leader) commanding a single Slammer, not using manual fire. I took at least three (possibly five) PCML rounds and was fired at maybe eight times. In the end, I sat disabled in a field and was machinegunning people left and right. I think there may be balancing problems as far as the lethality of the weapons goes, as well as the AI's ability to engage tanks, and employ tanks (because the AI AMV, Panther and Slammer in the same mission did pretty much nil.) that needs to be looked at.

tl;dr: Tanks are as deadly as the training and tactics of their crews allow, pretty much.

That's the mission designer, they can add and remove weapons to vehicles. There's no artificial balance in Arma. It's AI related problems and engine limitations. The Merkava chassis is heavily armored and use on a few vehicles.

If a mission maker wants to remove the mortar, Coaxial or Comander's gun, then they just add removeWeapon and removeMagazine to the vehicles init.

Edited by ProGamer

Another bullshit rant in the metalcrazy "hate on the developers" crusade.

1. The turret is anything but low poly. Its "ugly" because the Merkava is "ugly" in real life, and the polycount seems to match that of the other assets (can't know for sure until I get my dirty hands on the raw p3ds, but it certainly looks ok)

2. Maybe you just have a shit PC, because it looks crisp and sharp to me. Upgrade, then whine more that you dont get 349536497532 FPS on your super PC.

3. lol, real life would like to say hi. As mentioned, the Merkava does not have a hatch in the turret for anyone but the commander.

it looks ok from far or 3rd person but not that good when you closer (still better then tanks from bf)

but the worst thing is the barrel and if you are gunner

i mean it's the closes obect to gunners view that you see it all the time but it's not even round it's just 12 sided cylinder... and not even close to what is on your picture

Edited by CrazyBaron

The omission of the loader position, the mortar and the extra MG isn't anything to do with laziness, they chose to do this. It would have taken the same amount of effort to add those additions as it would to not do so.

It's not a Merkava IV, it's like the T-72M to the T-72A, for whatever reason the nato variant removed these extra features and installed an autoloader, this is in no way shape or form unrealistic. It'd be unrealistic if it had a jet engine strapped to it and wings, not because some of it's hardware was removed by choice.

There's no artificial balance in Arma.

Wasn't in previous games. ArmA3 is filled with artificial balance.

Just compare Merkava to T-100. It's exactly the same tank, with a different skin. Same weapons, same ammo, same crew.

That's among many other artificially balanced things in the game.

The omission of the loader position, the mortar and the extra MG isn't anything to do with laziness, they chose to do this. It would have taken the same amount of effort to add those additions as it would to not do so.

It's not a Merkava IV, it's like the T-72M to the T-72A, for whatever reason the nato variant removed these extra features and installed an autoloader, this is in no way shape or form unrealistic. It'd be unrealistic if it had a jet engine strapped to it and wings, not because some of it's hardware was removed by choice.

It takes a lot less effort to not include it. The names are different because of copy right issues, but it is still the Merkava. With that kind of attitude, we wouldn't even have commander seats in the game!

---------- Post added at 16:33 ---------- Previous post was at 16:32 ----------

Wasn't in previous games. ArmA3 is filled with artificial balance.

Just compare Merkava to T-100. It's exactly the same tank, with a different skin. Same weapons, same ammo, same crew.

That's among many other artificially balanced things in the game.

Yea, that's why we got to fix this mess. Just like problems with Arma 2, we have to correct all the vehicles and weapons. We can start by fixing the tanks first.

Edited by ProGamer