Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

Blastcore A3

While it would of course look cool, you have to take MP into account.
No you dont.

I love this mod in ARMA 2, and would vote to just make it client side. Those who care about MP would not have to use it. Those who really want immersion, can enable it. While it would hinder TvT type games, SP or COOP would totally rule with full on effects.

If it will be what I hope it to be, it will finally replace the placeholder explosions copied by BIS from Arma 2. So I would not call it an immersion increaser but actually the first real effect pack that Arma 3 will see.

Honestly - current effects are a bad joke! Last time I saw that bad explosion effects was 6 years ago! And I am not kidding!

Explosions =slow moving smoke cyrcles? I dont know if I should laugh or cry! If I knew how to change them Id done it myself the second it was clear that they are final.

But theres no tutorial out there that explains it and I asked for guidance a few times before.

Well as much as i would like to have smoke hang about for a few minutes or longer il try my best. In large engagements and more so MP its just too damn much stress to the engine and performance begins to get hammered. Not to mention with an already struggling engine unable to run at the moment, adding even more demand is just not right anymore.

Im trying my best to make this version the best i can as stable and optimized as possible which is why im taking a bit longer obv, because i'll be quite honest i think this will be the last mod il make for the ArmA series. Until we get a better more efficient and better optimized engine than what we currently have which imo is just too out dated and just not cool anymore. We have a fantastic game but its built on a engine thats well past its use by date. I have to admit i don't even play A3 anymore, i only start it up after ive made some changes to the mod to see the effects, tbh im just not interested anymore. Anyway enough of the negatives waves, i will still make the mod as best i can.

Sad to hear that but it's undeniable, even more when someone that know the "guts" of the game say it.

Take your time and know that you will make thousand of people happier when it comes out :)

Edited by Smurf
Godammit, think I'm starting some type of dyslexia =P

Well as much as i would like to have smoke hang about for a few minutes or longer il try my best. In large engagements and more so MP its just too damn much stress to the engine and performance begins to get hammered. Not to mention with an already struggling engine unable to run at the moment, adding even more demand is just not right anymore.

Im trying my best to make this version the best i can as stable and optimized as possible which is why im taking a bit longer obv, because i'll be quite honest i think this will be the last mod il make for the ArmA series. Until we get a better more efficient and better optimized engine than what we currently have which imo is just too out dated and just not cool anymore. We have a fantastic game but its built on a engine thats well past its use by date. I have to admit i don't even play A3 anymore, i only start it up after ive made some changes to the mod to see the effects, tbh im just not interested anymore. Anyway enough of the negatives waves, i will still make the mod as best i can.

Don't sweat it, take as much time as you need. I understand that it can get frustrating having to work around the same problems, even after all these years BI has don so little to actually make the engine work the way its supposed to. And you're not the only one. A lot of modders are leaving the Arma series behind and focussing on other projects (Groundbranch and Outerra lookspretty promising).

Anyway, still really looking forward to it OS! I hope you think twice about stopping with Arma, but I can't force you to stay. I wouldn't want you to stay if its no fun for you anymore ;)

Easy config switch for longer dust/explosion kickup at least?

Is it just optimization and negative alpha that are frustrating you with the engine or are there missing engine features that prevent you from doing what you want?

Honestly they have improved a lot of things with the particle system in A3. It is much more comprehensive and better documented. I am not sure what would be holding him up besides time (which I fully understand haha).

I have a few more feature requests for the particle system (mostly vector rotation functions) that will really improve the quality of mid-air explosions. I'll make sure to post tickets here for people to vote on when I get around to making them.

Feel your pain was only the other day I said the same thing, been doing sounds since early A2 on private builds but only released to public now wish i hadn't tbh audio engine is so screwy.

no idea as from modmaking perspective, but are there many engines out there, cappable to do same stuff real virtuality enginge able to do? For example the fameous frostbite engine. Never seen maps, bigger then a size of spittle on it.

There were allready many discussions about wether other engine were capable of doing the same.

A lot of people were suggesting a change over to the cryengine.

However you have to take into consideration that BIS has got a big list of programs they built for the Real Virtuality Engine and they worked with this engine since forever.

Its a big heritage and switching to a new engine will have a big chain reaction of work.

Apart from that people were claiming that all current big engines were produced for small (or at least smaller) environments.

While this is of course true I am absolutely convinced that for example the cryengine is capable of beeing extended easily to fullfill the role of the Real Virtuality Engine.

The only reason why the Cryengine isnt optimized for big islands yet is because it wasnt necessary. Its for sure just a question of work to make it ready for it.

And if you take a look at some

or the infamous
you can get an idea of what improvements could be made.

In the end - Arma 3 could be so much more with a big of love and optimization!

If you give it:

Better animations (the animation system was not ready when Arma 3 was released! Best example: Get into a stance between crouching and standing and turn left and right in 3rd person view. Look how nice the body is floating over the ground....)

Better effects

Better midrange details

Better sounds

Rudimentary vehicle interiors for tanks

Then the rest will be done by the community!

Gamemodes and addons that add more realism are not a problem! The community is eager to fix that.

But animations for example are hard to improve without a mocap studio - and BIS has got its own!!!!

The less I understand why there is not even an animation for the bolt of the sniper rifle to be pulled back.

I call it lazy!!!! BIS knows the community will fix many many things - why cant they give us at least a polished framework!?

you call it lazy, which in my oppinion not much respectful toward the devs, i call it, "there were reasons, something got off the tracks", so the campaign and other stuff, had to be delayed.

I'm pretty happy with stuff we got right now, there are only few things for me, like reverb in houses, better midrange textures, and perhaps wind/bullet interraction, that i do really miss. And no need to remind you, 2 collegues were in a prison for about half a year?

I believe, people sometimes demand to much from BIS, if you been here since arma 2 release, and compare to now, thats like day and night, in therms optimization, stability. So it's pretty obvious, to achieve less buged and optimized release for arma 3, BIS had to keep some of stuff for later.

And some people will be never happy, perhaps thats their nature? If arma 3 would come with more stuff, but full of bugs and not optimized, ala arma 2, people would go rage. Arma 3 came much more optimized bugfree then arma 2, but with lesser content - people still go on rage mode.

See - I for my part had rather less stuff with more quality. Now we got less stuff and less bugs - I give you that.

But there are many parts that are plain not finished. Like the animation system that I mentionned.

Or the effects.

I worked in the gaming industrie too and while its true that there must be made compromise I would have never brought over my heart to release a game with this kind of effects and not finished animations.

The argument with the imprisoned coworkers is a valid point of course. And there are also positive examples. E.g. the models looks quite nice again.

But then theres the other stuff that keeps me getting frustrated every single time I open the game. And I really mean that. I look at certain things, shake my head and need to turn off the game because I cant stand it. And I LOVE WHAT ARMA WANTS TO BE. Maybe thats the reason why I get so emotional with this stuff^^

And I have to apologize for a bit - lazy was of course the wrong word.

Backt to Topic please.

I think there are already other threads that discuss that topic, but this is the Blastcore A3 Thread....^^

but are there many engines out there, cappable to do same stuff real virtuality enginge able to do?
Whatever GTA runs on has fairly vast maps with lots of AI and battles and such. I struggle to think of any other FPS game with the scope of Arma's though. Old BF (Desert Combat) had pretty large maps, though. Not quite Arma-sized, but I'm not sure it was engine limitations that prevented it, rather gameplay concerns (it wasn't really a community that would support spending 3-5 minutes just travelling to the AO). Not sure about the current BF engine, but again it might be community concerns that prevent it from having Arma-sized maps (and a lack of modders/devs interested in massive scale maps).

That's the thing really, probably quite a few engines could handle all this, especially if the devs were willing to spend a full release cycle optimizing for such gameplay, but outside of the Arma community there just doesn't seem to be the interest. Large, open environments are "boring" after all... :/

Arma could be greatly improved by going through the top 10 feedback requests and, you know, doing them.

no idea as from modmaking perspective, but are there many engines out there, cappable to do same stuff real virtuality enginge able to do? For example the fameous frostbite engine. Never seen maps, bigger then a size of spittle on it.

Outerra planetary rendering engine: http://www.outerra.com/

Though I believe this is not being built for a FPS game, it could (theoratically) be used for one.

The way it works is that it doesn't acutally render the entire planet, only that which is near you and not beyond the horizon. Given that is still a huge aera especially if you're up high, but it works really well. It constantly downloads and uploads data simultaniously to a server.

The only limitaiton it has really is the speed at which this happens. If you have a slow connection it can take a while for the data is fully recieved. However, even then it actually does a splendid job at rendering vast enviroments. Ofcourse there's not a whole lot to fill the world with. Trees and grass mostly, but is also still in early pre-alpha state.

You can download the demo and fly a MIG-21 at top speed at about 10 km up and not have much in the way of popping textures. I think this is where we're headed with gaming technolog, and I like it :D.

Edited by CyclonicTuna

Outerra is NOT built for FPS, so there is no point in dreaming. Sure it is pretty but couldn't handle AI.

Outerra is NOT built for FPS, so there is no point in dreaming. Sure it is pretty but couldn't handle AI.

Outerra, the engine itself, isn't finished yet, so you can't say what it can and can't handle yet. And yes the game they're building it for "Anteworld", won't be an FPS. But its theoratically possible because of the way Outerra handels the rendering aspect of the game. On top of that they have a better physics engine now than Arma ever had, and they are working on fully dynamic destruction, which you can already test in the demo by the way.

Besides, the Anteworld game is a very ambitious project. They want to simulate contstruciton and economy on a very accurate schale, and more massive than ever before, including things like traffic, pedestrians, air traffic etc. So I don't see why it couldn't handle AI in that sense.

Outerra, the engine itself, isn't finished yet, so you can't say what it can and can't handle yet. And yes the game they're building it for "Anteworld", won't be an FPS. But its theoratically possible because of the way Outerra handels the rendering aspect of the game. On top of that they have a better physics engine now than Arma ever had, and they are working on fully dynamic destruction, which you can already test in the demo by the way.

Besides, the Anteworld game is a very ambitious project. They want to simulate contstruciton and economy on a very accurate schale, and more massive than ever before, including things like traffic, pedestrians, air traffic etc. So I don't see why it couldn't handle AI in that sense.

They hide the issues in Anteworld. Just drive down the road and like 4 meters ahead, the road lines get really messed up. The render system in the game has so many problems its not even fun once you begin to notice them.

nothing better, then having detailed, but 1x1km skycrapers map, right?^^
I don't know exactly, but Desert Combat had a bunch of maps that were at least 3x3-5x5km and very open with small towns and forts here and there. It's not Everon-sized, but again I don't think it was engine limitations that prevented them from being larger. Even some of the stock DICE maps were fairly large back then, and some quite small too yes.

4km² is pretty much the maximum size for a BF2 map if you want to have some details on it. Project Reality has some big and overall good looking maps. But well the engine is old and wasn't particularly optimized even back in 2005. I'm pretty sure you could make rather large maps on the Frostbite3 with plenty of details, underground structures and all but it would still be pretty limited compared to what the Real Virtuality does I think.

Edited by dunedain

I don't know exactly, but Desert Combat had a bunch of maps that were at least 3x3-5x5km and very open with small towns and forts here and there. It's not Everon-sized, but again I don't think it was engine limitations that prevented them from being larger. Even some of the stock DICE maps were fairly large back then, and some quite small too yes.

Well, we are talking about mods now then? If you heard of veteran mod for arma 2, it has 400km² map size, with plenty of detail, yet not completly finished, Taviana - no idea what size it has, but i believe it's at least 1,5x times bigger then cherno if not more. Has lots of large cities, woods, fields, i can't imagine other engine out there, render such big island, fluently like real virtuality does. If a human looks old, doesn't mean, he can't lift 200 kilos, when he was powerlifting his whole life.

Guys,

we are going a little bit off topic ...

Back in:

So Opticalsnare, I lost track a little bit since the thread became quite huge. But do you plan putting a random cook-off effect on vehicles containing ammos in Blastcore?

Don't get me wrong, I love your work and will never bitch on something I would like to have. I just wonder if you tought about it...