Sign in to follow this  
Opticalsnare

Blastcore A3

Would just like to show my support. Like many here your work was was a fantastic and almost essential mod to run in a2. It's great to see you in this arma generation too .

yea can't wait to see what Optical will bring in Blastcore with new physx particles. Trailer looks just too good and it can be only better :)

Big THX for you great job Opticalsnare, loved your mod in A2 cant wait to see it in A3. Also loved the sound mod you did, it was one of the best sound mod on A2.

Excellent. Thank you for your effort. BTW, are you going to improve on the muzzle flash of the MBT's.....that "bubble of fire" with a defined black line around the bubble looks kind of cheesy.

Side note: You have some terrific talent, my friend.....one of the best modder's out there. Maybe someday you could make a mod that fixes the destruction of the buildings (and BIS should pay you for it :p). I love ArmA 3, but two of my biggest faults with the game are building destruction and textures of some of the buildings. Example: When I fire a missile at a Control Tower, it does a "Twin Towers" destruction and falls straight down instead of blowing to bits....it puts the destruction at the base of the tower before it comes down. It would be nice if the Tower would explode like when a vehicle explodes in your Blastcore mod. Wishful thinking.

Anyway.....keep up the great work.

Looking forward to a release, finally we get some nice FX effects. :)

With envy I saw the new 1.0 project reality effects on the years old BF2 engine, they surpass the vanilla ArmA3 FX effects any day:

(look at 1:30)

While I agree that PR has given long life to Battlefield 2, I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. The persistent smoke particles in A3 are as good as I've seen in any recent games so far. While I'm really looking forward to Blastcore A3 to give that extra cool factor, the particle effects in BF2 aren't enough to win this argument.

Looking forward to a release, finally we get some nice FX effects. :)

With envy I saw the new 1.0 project reality effects on the years old BF2 engine, they surpass the vanilla ArmA3 FX effects any day:

(look at 1:30)

Awesome!! This looks amazing!

Blastcore is COMING!!! I guess it's time to start making explosion heavy missions in anticipation! :)

While I agree that PR has given long life to Battlefield 2, I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. The persistent smoke particles in A3 are as good as I've seen in any recent games so far. While I'm really looking forward to Blastcore A3 to give that extra cool factor, the particle effects in BF2 aren't enough to win this argument.

I have to disagree with this statement. Arma 3's effects look like complete garbage compared to those of PR:BF2. Even Blastcore doesn't look that good.

Why would you not like to have effects like in PR:BF2? It's not only about "particles".

Edited by cheeseburger

I have to disagree with this statement. Arma 3's effects look like complete garbage compared to those of PR:BF2. Even Blastcore doesn't look that good.

Why would you not have effects like in PR:BF2? It's not only about "particles".

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they 2D?

Edit: Woah, déjà vu much?

Edited by 13isLucky

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't they 2D?

Don't know, doesn't look like like it. But the Devs suely did some tricks, because the BF2 Engine is a piece of junk, without having offical Modtools.

Don't know, doesn't look like like it. But the Devs suely did some tricks, because the BF2 Engine is a piece of junk, without having offical Modtools.

They're 2D sprites, but they do look very good.

EDIT: Wait, didn't we go through this like a week ago? Arma 3 renders sprites in a weird way, they change orientation and size depending on character position.

Why would you not like to have effects like in PR:BF2? It's not only about "particles".

You are joking, right? I have played the BF series since BF 1942, so I know the series well. As for "Looks" of BF2 compared to ArmA 3...... it would be like a far sighted person taking their glasses off to play with the monitor 2 feet from their eyes compared to a far sighted person keeping their glasses on to play....it's that big of a difference. BF2 looks old, robotic, box's and rectangles..... does not feel life like. ArmA 3 looks fluid and is 'crisp and clear' (almost life-like). The BF2 explosions look 'fake' because of the aesthetics of the time it was built. Blastcore A3 looks pretty real (from what we've seen so far) because the ArmA dev's have improved with technology in programming. Maybe with the next ArmA engine, we won't be able to tell the difference between the game or reality (coming 2018 or 2019). :cool:

As for your comment..."It's not only about 'particles,'" agreed..... but the community is working on it (WiP). BIS gave us a canvass and the Modder's are painting a portrait of perfection.

Side note: About 2 months ago (after playing 300 hours of ArmA 3 on Stratis) I decided to boot up my BF3 PC version and compare the graphics (I run both games on Ultra in the Video settings....maxed out). I had not played BF3 for 6 months. I went from map to map..... I mainly focused on Caspian Border (their best map for terrain). My conclusion: ArmA 3 beats it on every level when it comes to terrain.....that's how good ArmA 3's aesthetic's look. Now, BF4 is another whole ball of wax....I'm gonna download the beta in a couple of weeks to compare ArmA to BF4. Should be interesting.

Edited by rehtus777
Grammar fix

Even Blastcore doesn't look that good.

You don't know what Blastcore for Arma3 will be like! Jesus, some noobs in this game. Makes you want to reach out and hurt somebody.

They're 2D sprites, but they do look very good.

EDIT: Wait, didn't we go through this like a week ago? Arma 3 renders sprites in a weird way, they change orientation and size depending on character position.

I don't see how that's weird.

Well if you're looking at a large smoke plume, and no matter what side of that plume you are, it constantly rotates to face you - wouldn't that look weird? Also, if the smoke plume gets unproportionally larger/smaller depending on your position - wouldn't that look weird too?

^^ Yeah but aren't running around an explosion ... unless of course you in an aircraft.

And I would say, don't compare BF2 vanilla with PR 1.0 effects. Its 2 different games built on the same engine, like BF3 and MOH (whatever its called) and so on.... Its a matter of what we do with the damn old engine... With the right thinking and all the settings it has, we can make it beat the making of effects in Arma3 ANY day. I assure you of that...

What we dont have, is the ability to increase the size of the sprites (higher res) and level textures etc. etc. Because we have to stick below 2GB of everything in PR. Then you can imagine how frustrating it is to not be able to make it look even better than it does now. But I think the best way to make good effects, is to have a mix of animated textures (wich you flip, randomize in sizes, speed, etc.) and common 4 frame textures to show up as common particles around the animated textures.

In the end its all about art. If just the engines would allow it.

But I think the vanilla Arma3 effects are really crap without hesitating.. You can do alot with effects in BF2 engine (even if its old). Just positioning it anywhere, like muzzleflashes. You have bunch of setting you can do to make muzzle flashes and smokes look great. Arma3 havent prooved that to me yet. Really bad...

Im with Optical here now. And if he needs any textures from me he can just ask and I can see what I can help him with. If its fires, smoke, bullethits, etc.

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

Well if you're looking at a large smoke plume, and no matter what side of that plume you are, it constantly rotates to face you - wouldn't that look weird? Also, if the smoke plume gets unproportionally larger/smaller depending on your position - wouldn't that look weird too?

Because that would kill computers any day! You mean real 3D particles.. I dont know any game that has that, not even Cryengine 3.

I will experiment alot with Cryengine 3 in the future for PR2 and see how much you can pressure the engine before people reach maximum of 3fps.

^^ Yeah but aren't running around an explosion ... unless of course you in an aircraft.

No, but you might be running around the smoke plume that was left behind. I used a similar FX mod for Arma 2 which had this exact issue - explosion went off, smoke plume was left behind, as you continuing walking/driving/flying you notice the smoke rotating so that it's always facing you. Trust me, it's weird.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

Because that would kill computers any day! You mean real 3D particles.. I dont know any game that has that, not even Cryengine 3.

I will experiment alot with Cryengine 3 in the future for PR2 and see how much you can pressure the engine before people reach maximum of 3fps.

Well I've not noticed the 'rotating' effect in vanilla Arma smoke sprites. Like I said in my other post, I remember a mod for Arma 2 where the sprite rotation was very obvious. Perhaps you would like to explain why this is? :)

No, but you might be running around the smoke plume that was left behind. I used a similar FX mod for Arma 2 which had this exact issue - explosion went off, smoke plume was left behind, as you continuing walking/driving/flying you notice the smoke rotating so that it's always facing you. Trust me, it's weird.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 ----------

Well I've not noticed the 'rotating' effect in vanilla Arma smoke sprites. Like I said in my other post, I remember a mod for Arma 2 where the sprite rotation was very obvious. Perhaps you would like to explain why this is? :)

Yep. If you move towards a dust cloud or smoke plume, the cloud/sprite becomes larger and appears to dissipate. You move away and it regains it's shape and or body.

I.E. 0:28 - 0:38

Trust me it looks weird lol, i tested this few years ago and it did not work that good.

Edited by Opticalsnare

Any chance of getting a sneak peak at the current state?

I am not touching Arma 3 again until I get sth to fix the place holder effects BIS put into the game. Theres no way to describe how bad the current effects are.

The current explosion effects in Arma 3 would not even be considered good 4 years back. Ridiculous.

Therefore: Any chance you would release a work in progress version of your mod? Since anything is better than the current state.

Best regards!

Well i am trying to get my scripts to work. But i keep getting "error zero divisor" wasting my time tbh BIS just seems to like breaking things....

Edited by Opticalsnare

"tbh BIS just seems to like breaking things...."

Yeah, I think they have an entire department devoted to this task ^^, lol. Either way, am loving the work, hope things get worked out.