Sign in to follow this  
felthat

Take On Mars Development branch discussion

"Sometimes it's useful to discuss updates to the Steam Development branch in one centralized place. Let's use this thread for that. ~

Actual issue reporting should still happen via the Feedback Tracker of course. Thank you!" - DnA, BI Developer

Can we have thread like this? Todays update is quite big and interesting. Id like to hear comments on its content from other users and of course devs (Dram:rolleyes:). New map, Deimos, feels kinda fresh, probably coz of different color, id like to hear also more about Zero-G Probe, ohh and ask how the heck to turn off flight mode manually(it turned for me into Take on lander graveyard).

Have a happy day.

Hi, yes the new update features the work-in-progress Deimos and Zero-G Probe. Deimos is quite bare as of yet, but will be getting a lot of attention in the coming weeks. The Zero-G Probe is just a basic implementation at the moment and is not usable as of yet, but again within a week or so it will become fully functional.

As for the landing mode being constantly manual, that would only occur if it is receiving input, so that could be due to either a joystick plugged in or wheel/pedals. These will be supported by right now there are issues that need to be solved regarding these input devices.

Feel free to discuss! :)

I think what FeltHat means by turning off manual flight mode is turning auto-landing back on after you pushed a button during the descent. There's been a few occasions where I accidentally pressed a key and had to land manually when i didn't plan on it.

what i meant: lets say i turned on flight mode , fly, fly fly, ok i landed but flight mode is still on, thrusters are on draining their power etc, i just cannot switch

also is it normal that lights in building in Mars Yard dont work? (game is WIP after all) They are light itself and shining but they are not source of light, they dont give any, hangar is dark.

Edited by FeltHat

Driving that buggy feels great, sometimes it resets too fast, when u r on side or something

Its very sensitive on drifting around, ripped off parts flying around, its cool to watch until u loose wheels :cool:

I think, in the future mode based on games like trials: evolution or elastomania might be popular (mostly thanks to cool driving model, low grav and alway fun to watch destruction model) :rolleyes: - theres also space for flying challenges with lander

Now we have workshop support, any news on trading cards?

Edited by FeltHat

Driving that buggy feels great, sometimes it resets too fast, when u r on side or something

Its very sensitive on drifting around, ripped off parts flying around, its cool to watch until u loose wheels :cool:

I think, in the future mode based on games like trials: evolution or elastomania might be popular (mostly thanks to cool driving model, low grav and alway fun to watch destruction model) :rolleyes: - theres also space for flying challenges with lander

Glad you like the addon, again, it is just meant to show what is possible to mod into the game, but a bit of a fun addon.

Now we have workshop support, any news on trading cards?

Trading cards are reaching the end of the production process, next week I should have more specific info about when they will be released :)

oh, thats the time when we will se next wave of customers :cool: i have dat feeling that quite a lot of em will stay for longer. Maybe they r not into scientific or sim stuff, but they will be amazed how different is this game :rolleyes: ok, lets just hope for better sales and new fans

and pretty please: make so awesome emoticons, i rly like em

I've never got involved in trading cards but methinks this is a perfect time to start. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with them, though.

1) u can gimme em to me

2)u can sell em

3)u can keep em and sind a mars song

4)u can get rest of da cards and craft da badge (after this u get profile background, emoticon, coupon and exp)

its great stuff for traders and way to get new players, also for fans to get game backgrounds, badges, cards and emoticons so u can show how much u luh TOKM and Dram and his BIS friends

I've never got involved in trading cards but methinks this is a perfect time to start. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with them, though.

Sell them and earn easy money on steam :)

Aka free games in the future hehe.

Ive already earned about 5 euro's on selling trading cards, its not much per card, but get many cards and earn a good amount of money.

To stay on topic, its been a while since i launched TOM last, but with theese new "big" updates i think im gonna have a new look at it later on today :)

Loving the changelog and the progress made, so far.

ooh! That all sounds like more added fun to this already enjoyable game. The start of trading cards is something else to look forward to, then. Thanks for the info, guys.

new asteroid belt looks nice, cant wait for more

i got some problems with zero-g probe

- i couldnt spawn it so after start it stands still, always starts to rotate on its own

- if it starts to rotate in vertical axis i cannot stop it with thrusters since shift or ctrl launch all of em at once so it gives me nothing (unless other control mode actually do something, but i couldnt see a difference)

But overall it's WIP, still looks great. I really enjoy flying in Lunar Flight, cant wait for this, i also would like to see bigger vehicles flying in zero g

new asteroid belt looks nice, cant wait for more

i got some problems with zero-g probe

- i couldnt spawn it so after start it stands still, always starts to rotate on its own

- if it starts to rotate in vertical axis i cannot stop it with thrusters since shift or ctrl launch all of em at once so it gives me nothing (unless other control mode actually do something, but i couldnt see a difference)

But overall it's WIP, still looks great. I really enjoy flying in Lunar Flight, cant wait for this, i also would like to see bigger vehicles flying in zero g

That sounds like it's receiving input from something. The controls for the zero-g probe are not finished and are hard-coded at the moment to primary controls for translation, and secondary controls for rotation. So WASD/SHIFT/CTRL control moving in said directions, while UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/HOME/END control rotation axes.

ok, im waiting for option to rebind em, home/end on laptop= gg :cool: (i mean there's that function key and home/end with left/rigt)

ok, im waiting for option to rebind em, home/end on laptop= gg :cool: (i mean there's that function key and home/end with left/rigt)

Oh you can rebind them - they're in the keybinding menu as Primary Up/Down etc and Secondary Up/Down etc.

Will we be able to use Gaea content? It's the same engine, im not sure about those buggies we got already. There's sale now on Steam, game gets better and better slowly but fact we can use content in TKOM would sell this game to me :cool:

Will we be able to use Gaea content? It's the same engine, im not sure about those buggies we got already. There's sale now on Steam, game gets better and better slowly but fact we can use content in TKOM would sell this game to me :cool:

Yes, it does support it, though keep in mind that excludes any AI and things of the sort. To add a wlrus it would be quite possible, probably best to chop it up into pieces though.

Weapons would have to be redefined as well.

ok, i bought it :cool: (now need only TOH to have all BIS games on steam)

-first of all: god bless kill rotation and kill translation (well maybe its a little too easy with them :P, i bet energy consumption will prevent abusing those systems)

-i rly like flying zero-g probe, asteroid belt feels fresh and looks pretty with all those sun rays :cool:

-is there a way to rotate like up and down arrows but sideways? didnt find that option, i can still rotate left/right and use up/down, but direct option would be useful and handy

-hows progress on trading cards? :o

edit: i was rly surprised with that organic stuff on asteroid

-how does mission generator works?

Edited by FeltHat

-first of all: god bless kill rotation and kill translation (well maybe its a little too easy with them :P, i bet energy consumption will prevent abusing those systems)

Haha yeah, it can be quite difficult without. Exactly like in Orbiter Space Simulator. Here of course, you can break off individual thrusters, and the funny thing is watching as the system tries to deal with it (which it does well) :)

-i rly like flying zero-g probe, asteroid belt feels fresh and looks pretty with all those sun rays :cool:

There will be a large central asteroid added with a few surprises, so it should be quite interesting.

-is there a way to rotate like up and down arrows but sideways? didnt find that option, i can still rotate left/right and use up/down, but direct option would be useful and handy

Do you mean roll left/right? If so then yes, have a look what you have mapped to Primary Up, Primary Down, Secondary Up, Secondary Down. I'll add "Roll left/right" to the description as well.

-hows progress on trading cards? :o

If all works out, then they should be coming today :)

-how does mission generator works?

The mission generator creates tasks for each vehicle dynamically around them. This means that a rover that has completed it's assigned mission can continue to be useful for a long time to come. The system is in its infancy at the moment, but will progressively become matured within this week's end. Currently it will generate explore targets on nearby rocks (randomly chosen). Eventually it will create photo targets, analysis targets and the like.

oh snap, i got it, i change as primary attitude controls and secondary linear- i meant those rolls on shift/ctrl

i got used to controls from lunar flight, it was strange for me that every vertical roll is not in the same place, also u can change controls with those panels on the bottom. Good thing is a slowpaced game.

I had in mind (from other games) that primary and secondary buttons do the same and didnt check home/end after i changed controls on the bottom

I hope your artist came up with some good emoticons, i hope i wont see any logo:p

edit: even before i reached changelog in main menu, that loading screen hit me like bullet in face, i was quite surprised (so pretty :rolleyes:)

Edited by FeltHat

Oh don't worry, all the emoticons are well thought through :)

Hehe, yeah finally overhauled the loading screens - now there are 5, later there will be more.

MPuuj4l.jpg

got this when loaded last save on some crater during mission

also when i launched mars race i see all waypoints at once and when i click mission tab game freezes (crash)

http://i.imgur.com/MPuuj4l.jpg

got this when loaded last save on some crater during mission

also when i launched mars race i see all waypoints at once and when i click mission tab game freezes (crash)

Ouch, yeah just fixed the issue, sorry for that. It should be in the upcoming dev build.

holy moly macaroni, when i try to launch any scenario, game crashes (tried with asteroid, kamikaze and mars race). No engine error pops out

edit: save from space program works fine, but loading time was quite longer than usual

Edited by FeltHat