Sign in to follow this  
clawhammer

AMD FX-8350 VS Intel 4670 for ArmA 3

Hello everyone!

iam thinking about to replace my AMD Phenom X6 1055T. This CPU servers all the last years very good. ArmA3 runs ok too with all 6 cores but i want more fps for intence action.

So iam thinking about to upgrade my mainboard, ram and cpu.

Iam thinking about this 2 upgrade bundels

Crucial 16GB DDR-1866

AMD FX 8350

Gigabyte GA-970A-D3

Price: 358,63 €

and bundle 2:

Crucial 16GB DDR-1866

Intel Core i5 4670

Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3

Price: 368,68 €

what will run ArmA3 better? (Yes i will activate every core on that cpu's)

thanks for help!

AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core is better.

And I am not just saying that because I use one...

there is a website called cpubenchmark.net where you can compare them.

AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core is better.

And I am not just saying that because I use one...

there is a website called cpubenchmark.net where you can compare them.

I'm sorry, but this is pretty much not that great advice.

In multicore applications the 8350 or 8320 have really good price/performance ratio and usually beat the current intel i5 quad cores, but in games multicore is useless for the most part. The current intel processors offer about 50% more singlecore performance. Arma barely uses 4 cores. It utilizes one core heavily and 3 others just a bit here and there. So, if you want the best performance in Arma or any other game at the moment except for Crysis 3 (which is able to use 8 cores/threads), you are better off going with the i5 4570 than with the 8320.

Here is the core usage in a rather ideal situation in Arma 3:

tbs3CTG.png

ie. it's better to have 4 (or especially 1) strong cores/threads than 8 mediocre cores/threads.

Edited by jurrasstoil

the intel cpu would run arma 3 nearly double as fast as the amd fx processor:

1. amd processors tend to stall their frontend and are not able under this condistions to use their full power.

2. the intel uses by far less energy, so also less noise,etc

3.@jurrasstoil: i get nearly 80%load all core on a 2700k@4.5ghz with ht off in dense scenarios, so i guess multithreading is working quite ok. the load picture yoiu posted looks like empty stratis map from editor.

4. even in multithraded applications the new haswell 4 core cpus outperform the fx8xxx cpus

try to get ram with only 1.5V(no specific info so i dont know what the posted ram has), as higher can be dangerous on haswell cpus.

Thanks for your help!

Then i will choose the INTEL CPU

try to get ram with only 1.5V(no specific info so i dont know what the posted ram has), as higher can be dangerous on haswell cpus.

I want to buy this one: https://www.mix-computer.de/html/product/detail.html?articleId=784566

In the description it says it uses 1.5V, so iam fine?

3.@jurrasstoil: i get nearly 80%load all core on a 2700k@4.5ghz with ht off in dense scenarios, so i guess multithreading is working quite ok. the load picture yoiu posted looks like empty stratis map from editor.

I doubt that.

The screenshot above is an 1230v3@3.5 in the Helicopter Showcase.

Here is a screenshot of the Combined Arms Showcase during the firefight at the camp:

7cFPqqI.png

In MP it drops a few percent depending the server and mission. Plus there is a sticky that is dedicated to the low cpu usage with almost 2,000 replies and a feedbacktracker ticket (#716) talking about the same thing.

I want to buy this one: https://www.mix-computer.de/html/product/detail.html?articleId=784566

In the description it says it uses 1.5V, so iam fine?

It will work. Make sure that the tall heatspreaders don't interfer with your CPU Cooler though.

Edited by jurrasstoil

Intel Core i5 4670

Just make sure to buy a 4670K model (with "K") for unlocked multipliers (for overclocking).

Just make sure to buy a 4670K model (with "K") for unlocked multipliers (for overclocking).

This then also requires a Z87 Board which costs an additional 30-40€.

The cheapest performance i5 would be the i5 4570 (165€) + B85/H87 Board (like an ASRock B85 Pro4 at 70€) which would cost you about 230€. The 4670k (200€) + Z87 Board (like an Asrock Z87 Pro3 for 90€) would cost you 290€.

On top you'll need a strong cooler to overclock the 4670k which means another 35-40€, while the normal 4570 can easily and quietly be cooled with a 20€ cooler.

i´ve heard the new haswell´s 4670k/4570k aren´t very good to overclock instead of the older ivy or sandy-bridge.

here is an arma3-cpu-benchmark with intel and amd cpu´s: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2306247

a 2600k @3,5GHZ beats a fx 8350 @4GHZ in arma3.

that benchmark makes it look like fx-8350 actually can hold it's own in arma though, which in multiplayer at least, it cannot from own experience

fx-8350 @ 4.8ghz average 30-35 fps vs 2500k @ 4.8ghz avg 40-50 fps playing wasteland