Windwalking

WW AIMenu (complimentary commands)

Awesome Mod. I love it. Arma really needed this. I love the "Clear Building" or "Garrison Building" actions. I know these from Operation Flashpoint Series by Codemasters and always thought its a shame Arma doesn't have these. This is spicing up gameplay so much, I love it. Especially with VAC, its amazing

I'm currently using it mainly for Arma 2.

Are you planning to release a special A2 version in the future? I mean, it already works great but unfortunatly breaks the Support Menu (0-8) once used. Also specific commands like IR off or Flashlights don't work.

Awesome Mod. I love it. Arma really needed this. I love the "Clear Building" or "Garrison Building" actions. I know these from Operation Flashpoint Series by Codemasters and always thought its a shame Arma doesn't have these. This is spicing up gameplay so much, I love it. Especially with VAC, its amazing

I'm currently using it mainly for Arma 2.

Are you planning to release a special A2 version in the future? I mean, it already works great but unfortunatly breaks the Support Menu (0-8) once used. Also specific commands like IR off or Flashlights don't work.

Oh I am glad it's working for Arma 2. Unfortunately I do not own arma 2 so I can't really test anything on it.

Oh, that is a shame. It would do great. Now it is either your mod or working support menu.... hard decision... :(

EDIT: Not a decision anymore. I took a look in your script and solved the issue on my own. Problem was, that you have kind of overwritten the Arma 2 Support/Communications menu with yours. I replaced it with a custom name. Changed

"#USER:BIS_MENU_GroupCommunication";
to
"#USER:WW_Communication";

This creates a custom menu for your mod and prevents it from interfering with Support and stuff

If your'e somehow interested in making this awesome piece of work available to the A2 players, this could be useful, I thought.

Edited by Dar

Awesome mod.. Makes the game 1000 times better

I was wondering however .. Now that we have effective suppression with yours and tpw mod.. Can we get a "suppress that area " command .. That would make the ai, especially the machine gunner , just open up on an area 5-10 meters around , that you click ?

This would be helpful as sometimes I want to suppress without actually having an enemy in my view to click....

It seems the vanilla system has a suppress command but don't see that it actually does anything

Thanks

@ballinsncbirth you can do that already with some of the original commands. when you press alt to look around you can give your AI commands to watch or surpress a direction

@ballinsncbirth you can do that already with some of the original commands. when you press alt to look around you can give your AI commands to watch or surpress a direction

Yea I know that .. But the suppress command doesn't actually work... Or not how I would like it to

There should be a command for "fire/suppress that area " in which you point to a spot ..click the command and the ai start firing at the area I click ,,,Whether it be a house .. Empty space ...etc.... Regardless whether they see enemies or not ....

This way you can effectively suppress an area with one squad ,,pin the enemy down .....and flank with another .

Yea I know that .. But the suppress command doesn't actually work... Or not how I would like it to

There should be a command for "fire/suppress that area " in which you point to a spot ..click the command and the ai start firing at the area I click ,,,Whether it be a house .. Empty space ...etc.... Regardless whether they see enemies or not ....

This way you can effectively suppress an area with one squad ,,pin the enemy down .....and flank with another .

I agree with ballinsncbirth. This has been a known issue in the Armaverse for soooo long.

I am still having an issue issuing waypoints to multiple teams (ie Team Red, Team Blue) The first team I set waypoints for move towards them no problem, but the second team 1 guy always seems to stand there and jitter around like he's stuck. A nd it always seem to be the lowest member in that team.

Example: If I have 234 as Team Red (or whatever) they move no problem, but if i assign 567 as Team Blue (again, whatever colour) it'll be squad member 5 who jitters around and doesn't move while 6 and 7 wait for him.

Edit: I would also like to add that I do give them separate waypoints.

Edited by ru55lee

Area suppression another good idea. :cool: I was under the impression that the vanilla suppression hadn't been implemented yet because it was so bad. :638:. Something similar to Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising. The only problem I can foresee is line of sight, my experience at arma would suggest the AI wouldnt think twice about shooting you in the backside with an LMG. ;)

Another interesting idea would be to make a new "move " command called "move to cover " In Addition to the current move command

When you give them this command the ai moves to the designated spot ..and after they get there the "find cover " order is automatically given (albeit hopefully silently ) causing them to move and then find the closest cover available

There have been many times in which I try to order my squad to move to get behind a rock , building or other cover .. Only to have them still sit out in the open... And putting a "find cover order after very move order is a little tedious

Thanks

Another interesting idea would be to make a new "move " command called "move to cover " In Addition to the current move command

When you give them this command the ai moves to the designated spot ..and after they get there the "find cover " order is automatically given (albeit hopefully silently ) causing them to move and then find the closest cover available

There have been many times in which I try to order my squad to move to get behind a rock , building or other cover .. Only to have them still sit out in the open... And putting a "find cover order after very move order is a little tedious

Thanks

Agreed. Not totally happy with the "move there" though as they never want to move exactly where I want them. Sometimes you get that line to show where they will go (if near an object i.e. wall) but I don't necessarily want them up against the wall, just near it.

Hey wind walker...

Any updates to whether the suggests (move to cover command) and( suppress area ) features are being worked on or even possible ? Still making changes or updates to the cover and command mods?

Cus these along with tpw are the single best things to come to arma 3 in a while ..

Thanks for all your work "....

Hey wind walker...

Any updates to whether the suggests (move to cover command) and( suppress area ) features are being worked on or even possible ? Still making changes or updates to the cover and command mods?

Cus these along with tpw are the single best things to come to arma 3 in a while ..

Thanks for all your work "....

They are definitely planned. I have been really busy lately however, I could hardly find the time. However don't lose hope. I will be back in the saddle soon.

Just "added" this addon before dinner... oh my god, finally the team reacts at my commands!

Sorry for them that the end is always the same: death! :D i'm learning game!

a question, clicking numbers can be a bit tricky, is just a question of experience+practice getting used to them?

Thank you :) and great job

Windwalking, i'll give a try to this mod ASAP, i'm already using your AICOVER mod and it sure did saved my AI teammates more than once! But now i'm using lots of mods (CBA, TPW, TMR, ShackTack UI), all of them organised and up-to-date under the reliable PlayWithSix app. Unfortunately, none of your mods are on their database, so to use them i have to do it the "hard way" (yes, i know it's not hard at all, but you get the point).

Any chance that your mods will end up uploaded on PwS?

Ok, now i tested it and love it! But i found out when i tell my squadmates to turn on their IR lasers, none of them did even if they had them attached. They just turned them on briefly if i commanded them to open their own inventory, then turned them down again after less than a second.

EDIT: I don't want to write thousands of posts, should have waited a little bit before texting all these things, sorry: When i load a previously saved mission (Whole lotta Stratis, FYI), i can't seem to get your menu to appear, no matter what.

Edited by F3n1xESP

EDIT: I don't want to write thousands of posts, should have waited a little bit before texting all these things, sorry: When i load a previously saved mission (Whole lotta Stratis, FYI), i can't seem to get your menu to appear, no matter what.

This is an Arma issue, not a mod issue. Saves include the mod list, I believe.

Well, i don't know if this mod is still active given the lack of answers, but i feel the need to retract myself on the suppossed bug i reported on the IR lasers: the AI guys DO use them, but only when they have an enemy in sight, which is simply AWESOME and right the way it's suppossed to be. I'm sorry for my mistake.

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:07 ----------

This is an Arma issue, not a mod issue. Saves include the mod list, I believe.

Strangely enough, it does reappear on some other missions. Simply, in WLA and WLS doesn't seem to work, even from the start of the mission, as i've seen from the rest of the tests i made. I take it that the scripts involved in those missions and this mod simply don't get along well.

Guys, sorry that I didn't have any free time to develop lately. I am simply swarmed right now. However I will resume development very soon on the mod.

Windwalking, in my humble opinion, both of your mods work excepcionally well as they are, so don't be stressed if you don't have all the time you wan to work on them to your liking, they are still awesome!

And now, my two cents: i hope you don't take this the wrong way, but there's been some persistent idea diving inside my mind ever since i saw this mod (more precisely, since i knew one could add a custom menu to command the AI). I've always thought that ArmA lacked a LOT of simple AI commands, and some of those commands i saw them on a different game: Combat Mission Shock Force. For me, CMSF is ArmA in a RTS way. Your own AI "thinks" as it should do, popping out smoke when they feel they are in need of it, ie. they are caught in the middle of an unexpected firefight and then looking for cover, and refusing to advance under "suicidal" situations, such as if you order them to charge against a MG nest or a tank without proper AT weaponry; or a vehicle would stop their advance, pop smoke and look for cover when hit hard by an AT weapon of unknown procedence, instead of just standing there and wait for the second shot to arrive, as they actually do in ArmA 3. And they do all that without the need of micromanaging it! They even toss hand grenades if given the chance! In my opinion, that would be the target of the AI on vanilla ArmA, but we all know that THAT ain't going to happen anytime soon, and that's when mods like yours come in handy.

But what can be appliable on your mod are some sort of tactical "limitations" you can order to your own troops. There's nothing that annoys me most than being the driver of an ATV and watch as the gunner wastes valuable 30mm rounds on infantry when he could be perfectly mowing them down with the coaxial MG. In CMSF they had this resolved by using two different commands: "Target" and "Target Light".

"Target" orders your troops to open fire with everything they can throw at the enemy, but in an efficient manner, meaning they won't hesitate using grenades or GL on infantry, but won't waste an AT round on them. The very same would happen to vehicles, order a tank to "Target" an enemy infantry unit and will shoot them with the MG but won't mind landing one or two shots of the HEAP projectile of their main gun if that gets the job done.

"Target light", on the other hand, limits the weapons they are going to use to those strictly basic to take the target down. If we speak of that command on ArmA 3 it would mean that the AFV Gorgon would attack an Ifrit with the 30 mm cannon, but won't waste an AT missile on it, or the tank would simply use the MG.

None of them are to be confused with some sort of "Suppressive fire" order. "Target" and "Target light" are the basic attack commands, as present in many RTS games.

Of course, in ArmA our friendly AI soldiers will open fire at will, unless ordered otherwhise, but we should have an option to limit the weapons they are about to use given the circumstances. For example, if i have a platoon with two AT soldiers and find an enemy truck, unless both AT soldiers are told to "Hold Fire" (thus preventing them from using their main rifles on infantry, what would be useful), there is a high chance that BOTH of them open fire on the truck, wasting two valuable AT rounds that would be more useful later.

So, here comes the difficult thing, could you achieve something like that? Is that even possible from the POV of a modder, or do these changes have to come directly from BIS?

Hello guys, is it possible to implement the clear building and the garrison_Building or all the ww aimenu features into High command and the same time players units? I'm using Hc extentions. Something like; in the Menus sqf file, "hcSelected player" instaed of "groupSelectedUnits player"? Together with "USER:WW_Communication" istead of "USER:BIS_MENU_GroupCommunication" that Dar suggested?

@VinniMe - Why not just try it out? That way I "converted" the mod for Arma 2 OA and fixed some of the commands (for personal use only, don't worry Windwalking). His scripts are suprisingly comprehensible, to not say "simple" compared to a bunch of other mods.

I think the idea is great, unfortunatly I've got zero knowledge when it comes to HC-scripting as I don't use it very often (not enough functions/orders/control over the units below you I think). But WWs Ai menu for HC would definitly spice things up.

@WW: May I make a kind of "request"? I really like the idea of an your Attitude/Careless command (actually mapped a key to that so I can access it via VAC). But would it by any means be possible to force this careless command without forcing the AI to walk in speedmode "limited" and follow roadside patrol-patterns as if they forgot about their leader completely? I thought of something like the AIs "Area clear" saying which is needed to bring them from combat stance (which actually can not be changed by the leader) to aware/safe mode again when they finally forgot about a half transparent enemy marked 6km to the north.... (example for AI combat behaviour). This behaviour often gets really annoying when you just think: Cmon guys, this one emeny is somewhere 6km to the north he won't be able to harm us in any way if he is even still in the AO, stop yelling 'covering, go!' and searching cover already!

Unfortunatly I couldn't find out when and how the "area clear" is triggered but maybe you have an idea how to work around this?

Edited by Dar

@VinniMe - Why not just try it out? That way I "converted" the mod for Arma 2 OA and fixed some of the commands (for personal use only, don't worry Windwalking). His scripts are suprisingly comprehensible, to not say "simple" compared to a bunch of other mods.

I think the idea is great, unfortunatly I've got zero knowledge when it comes to HC-scripting as I don't use it very often (not enough functions/orders/control over the units below you I think). But WWs Ai menu for HC would definitly spice things up.

@WW: May I make a kind of "request"? I really like the idea of an your Attitude/Careless command (actually mapped a key to that so I can access it via VAC). But would it by any means be possible to force this careless command without forcing the AI to walk in speedmode "limited" and follow roadside patrol-patterns as if they forgot about their leader completely? I thought of something like the AIs "Area clear" saying which is needed to bring them from combat stance (which actually can not be changed by the leader) to aware/safe mode again when they finally forgot about a half transparent enemy marked 6km to the north.... (example for AI combat behaviour). This behaviour often gets really annoying when you just think: Cmon guys, this one emeny is somewhere 6km to the north he won't be able to harm us in any way if he is even still in the AO, stop yelling 'covering, go!' and searching cover already!

Unfortunatly I couldn't find out when and how the "area clear" is triggered but maybe you have an idea how to work around this?

"Area clear" is like the number one priority target of every AI modder. Unfortunately I think it's buried deep in the AI FSMs. Like, really deep. Need-latex-gloves-and-a-vacuum deep.