Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

nearobjects performance on altis and stratis

I ran a few commands in the debug monitor, starting with nearobjects.

count (position player nearobjects 20)

On Stratis and Altis, this returns about 30 objects, mostly insects, although it will include map objects.

As the distance increases, the results diverge. at 200 metres, Stratis returns about 40 objects, whereas Altis 90 ish.

At 500 metres, Stratis has about 130 and Altis has 1200.

At 800 metres, Stratis has 300 and Altis has 3500. Not only that, the watch field on the debug monitor is now flashing orange which means the command is taking too long to execute.

So, I thought let's push both islands using the same command and note when the orange field flashing is about the same frequency. On Stratis, I got to 1400 metres which returned 630 objects. On Altis, I only got to 800 metres, although it contained more objects, 3400 of them.

Note that if you go to 2000 metres on Altis with this command, you will probably crash your game. On Stratis, it ran out of things to find, at 8000 meters and although the watch field result was solid orange and found 11500 objects, it didn't crash the game.

I don't know what this tells us. Those with a more analytical brain than me might know if these findings are relevant. It seems to me that Altis is overpopulated and that commands such as nearobjects are working less efficiently on Altis.

I have experienced significant delay using the following commands with a large search radius on Altis:

* nearRoads

* nearestObjects

* nearestLocations

Maybe worth Doing what TankBusters done and do a set spot on Stratis and a search for nearest roads, then same on altis :) Using the local Exec :)

h a large search radius on Altis:

I don't regard 800 metres as a large radius, yet it's enough to make the debug monitor flash an orange warning.

they could decrease the lod switch distance for man made objects. on altis, there's a lot of buildings, guard posts, random things basically everywhere you turn. turning down object distance also helps, but that makes the game look completely barren beyond a certain distance.

@Tankbuster;

I made a test with altis pushing "count (position player nearobjects 20)" to 20000 ! After 2-3 mins of arma 3 not responding, command showed: 280,000 objects with memory usage around 3GB.

Rereading my first post shows me that Altis yields nearly ten times as many objects than Stratis on the same radius.

From a wet-finger-in-the-breeze observations, I reckon there's a lot more insects on Altis than there is on Stratis. I will revisit my tests later and see how much of this ten times increase is insects. I wonder, though, if insects are particularly resource heavy or not?

Do you think counting 10000 insects is the same as 10000 factorys or house? Is the count process based on size or just amount irrelevant of size? Would be interested to know.. Also are insects the same as aa snake or rabbit? So they are infact the 'agent'? therefore technically classed as a man base?

Surely there must be some way to reduce objects that have no actual use other than ambiance, such as insects...

this is of course if BIS arent going to do an Invasion on Altis by Killer Butterflies :)

Counting insects is going to be more intensive than houses.

So for a given area:

Houses have a class (as you know) so you can return only the objects you're interested in.

Counting classless objects (like insects) will require you to additionally filter for the specific .p3d's. (and filter out things like clutter, leaves and so on)