Sign in to follow this  
the_blitz6794

Infantry combat has definitely improved, few questions though

I finally caved and bought the beta. Im pleased to find that infantry combat is much more fluid and soldiers behave much more intelligently. Perhaps more importantly, there is finally hard cover. I have a few questions though. What do the commands advance, pull back, and flank actually do and are they useful? Secondly, this is somewhat editor related and somewhat just in general, how do I setup infantry effectively for defense (whether its my own squad, through HC, or in the editor).

Hi,

Jester814 made a very good video tutorial about controlling AI in arma3, I recommend checking it out

For editor tutorials check out this

I hope this is of any use to you.

Advance, pull back and flank are basically formation modifiers.

Giving a unit/units the advance order will cause them to move forward (Roughly 30 meters?) in relation to your current formation, it's useful in those situations where you may be better off putting an AI unit on point instead of risking your own hide.

Pull back is basically the opposite of advance, I sometimes order medics to stay back to reduce their chances of getting killed at first contact.

Flank left/right, sends the selected unit/units roughly 30 meters to your left or right in relation to your current formation, it's a great way to "widen" your formation or shift everyone left or right for the sake of avoiding obstacles.

They're quite useful, without a doubt.

The video was excellent but I have one question. What does the suppressive fire command do? In the video he says he's not sure, same with the fire command

The video was excellent but I have one question. What does the suppressive fire command do? In the video he says he's not sure, same with the fire command

Fire gets a unit under the hold fire command to fire at an assigned target.

I've actually tried out the "suppressing fire" command a few times and unfortunately it seemed like it didn't do anything. :(

Hasn't done anything ever since it was introduced way back at the release of Arma 2, afaik. I've tried it intermittently ever since 2008 and it never did anything.

Would be interested in a high command tutorial, too. I set up a mission with it yesterday but I'm not understanding how it fully works. Maybe head back to the Arma 2 HC Tutorial, if you own it. :p

Hasn't done anything ever since it was introduced way back at the release of Arma 2, afaik. I've tried it intermittently ever since 2008 and it never did anything.

Makes me wonder why are commands like that even in the menu if they're non functional. Same goes for the flank left/right commands.

Makes me wonder why are commands like that even in the menu if they're non functional. Same goes for the flank left/right commands.

Flank right and left send the nominated troops out to hold position further out than they normally do. I believe that supressing fire does do something as I can remember it being discussed ages ago. It's just not what you would think it is, do a search for it if no-one else chimes in.

I remember it making the AI shoot at a slow, steady rate in the direction of a target. It was pretty useless though.

bump for high command

There is a section in the field manual about high command, might be usefull to you :)

There is a section in the field manual about high command, might be usefull to you :)

I know but it doesn't explain how to effectively use it. I'm looking for something akin to dyslexic's tutorial

I've asked around numerous times but can't get an answer:

Why sometimes are commands grayed out for me? I can't get my a.i. to go prone, crouch, ect most of the times. The option is simply grayed out but I see in videos (like Jester's video) all options seem available. Any ideas or tips?

I've asked around numerous times but can't get an answer:

Why sometimes are commands grayed out for me? I can't get my a.i. to go prone, crouch, ect most of the times. The option is simply grayed out but I see in videos (like Jester's video) all options seem available. Any ideas or tips?

Is your rank lower than the other AI in your squad?