Sign in to follow this  
Ichtiander

Less gunning and more puzzle solving

One major element that simpler games lack are cleverly designed rule sets that require a certain degree of evaluation and planning to arrive at a correct execution sequence. In fact, many games lack even execution: they are merely predetermined scripted paths that test proficiency on a shooting course. A larger environment guarantees none of the above unless the rules are there to produce difficulties that leave only a limited number of correct decisions.

In this regard I believe that the campaign would immensely benefit from high-scale strategic actions and smaller-scale tactical actions. With regards to the former, we are talking about limited game assets that the player has to organise in such a way so as to maximize their potential. For this, there needs to be intelligence that varies in its degree of detail and reliability: the player will interact with game actors whose information he needs to cross-reference and check against hard evidence on the ground. With regards to the latter, examples include: (a) squad that has a limited load capacity and needs to compromise least necessary items which are not immediately obvious (b) a force that needs to evade the enemy through certain context specific actions such as disinformation.

Ofcourse, for the above to work at a setting that is both highly engaging and varied, a lot of work needs to go into designing the rulesets, testing them and making sure that they work properly without any loopholes. This is Arma's great potential and I am hopeful to see significant changes.

I agree - more attention to asset management, acquisition of intel (actual information, not silver briefcases or manilla folders), etc. would be much appreciated. A lot can be done right within the campaign framework to make these choices/outcomes meaningful, so it would be great to see the potential of the system utilized fully.

h34dup is doing some great things with his Real World Operations collective - they are putting out some very high-quality missions/campaigns for Arma 2 - but I think you are talking about going even further, which sounds good to me!

Ofcourse, for the above to work at a setting that is both highly engaging and varied, a lot of work needs to go into designing the rulesets, testing them and making sure that they work properly without any loopholes. This is Arma's great potential and I am hopeful to see significant changes.

For all of those, it's required a good design and hours of programming and testing. And among all, time. Which right now seems to be lacking for BI.

For all of those, it's required a good design and hours of programming and testing. And among all, time. Which right now seems to be lacking for BI.

Yes, I considered that this may influence future content releases. Going back to the concept, it is a hard-to-attain goal, but a worthy one given the blandness and repetition that many games suffer from.

In my view there are some basic principles that can guide towards a good system. Initially, the player learns the game world behaviour by trying certain actions and observing their effects. The effects should be systemic and not random to enable him to manipulate the environment (i.e. consider a lower tier enemy type that will flee as soon as it comes under a degree of strain). These different effects should be easily comprehensible and shown in stages. The game can then become more complex by bringing the different game entities/factors together that produce harder to predict results and require analysis, trial and error.

Amen, brother. I love the strategic-side of missions. Planning and 'beating' the Map is half the fun.

Sometime next year I'm releasing some Maps/Missions that will be using all kinds of systems built

into them. I play only special-ops style of play and have been building a system that is dynamic

and organic. I have cellular networks, encrypted military data & communication networks, files,

folders, computers, classified intel, homing beacons, server nodes to hack complete with alarms and

buildings with alarm systems you can cut with a wrench and boltcutters, doors that are locked and

secured that require a special keycard, and so on....

Here's a simplified example of one of many missions you may be assigned to do:

Assassinate a top colonel. How? Where? You will NEVER know! I'll be including an Intelligence File you

can print in .pdf form that has SOME info you will want to use (IF you know how to read it). You will

have to figure out the insertion/extraction. You will have to plan your gear and loadout. Do you pack

a small laptop with certain software to hack the DRAC Network, or maybe some tools to cut lines

in a junction box. Maybe you'll need more C4 and less tools. Map, lockpicks, and silenced MP5? OR

perhaps a satchel charge and machinegun? Do you break into the Security Center and steal the weekly

maintenance log for your Intel, OR do you try and hack the cellular network to find your target? Hmmm...

Do you even know the Colonel's cell ID and number? Maybe a CIA contact and tracking bug? :icon_twisted:

Intel and Puzzle-solving!

Click for the HD version.

<a  href=http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5547/9467148565_50dde5f3e8_o.jpg' alt='9467148565_50dde5f3e8_o.jpg'> HALO_Project1 by richardvonquest, on Flickr[/img]

Edited by Goblin

There is one unique gameplay scenario I have been working over some time. It is your specialty covert operation. How much mission making experience do you actually possess? I thought to collaborate on a project.

It sounds great, but my experience as a player suggests highly ambitious, complex, elaborately threaded plot scenarios tend to make for buggy missions. Not a criticism but factoring all possibilities outcome combinations would require a lot of testing and debugging. I most like missions where completely unexpected things happen, like Sick1's Seal Team series in Arma 2. For example, being betrayed by a translator/ally, or the task of saving a hostage or taking down a target NOT being successful (by design) ... ie you have to track them down later and try harder next time, soldier. They can have a similar feel, but the mission maker has more control over unexpected/untested consequences.

I'm also getting tired of games where your only interaction with the game world is by violence. ArmA II Red Harvest was at least a glimpse of light.

i'm wondering if possible a MP pvp mission like enemy territory

brainstorming:D

the mission starts with HC (by players voted) that sends all players like divers in submerged wreck to rescue a laptop-notebook/device

than (cut scene) the players become a spec ops that have to carry the device that opens a biohazard dome etc etc

would be awesome to play entire island with some intriguing aspects