Sign in to follow this  
mistyronin

Farmers in Arma 3

I also hope there are farmer units and a tractor, not to mention cows. I have already started porting my "Old Macdonalds Farm" mission to ARMA3 and those items are kinda critical : P

The farm land is very different to Chernarus however, I have had a real struggle finding a suitable farm.

I guess you should replace cows with goats. Haven't seen many cows in regions like Altis.

As a RP mission/mod developer, I almost pray that they'd add (a lot) more civilian content, like in A2... I found A2 to be superb platform for nice RP with the wonderful Chernarus, the diverse civilian units and story behind them, without forgetting the large number of various objects that made eg. building checkpoints, bases, hideouts and other stuff like that possible. Maybe I'm just a narrow-minded bastard, but I've lost my interest towards A3 completely because I just find the place, tacticool units and story to be very shallow, as a complete opposite to Chernarus and apparently previous iterations (especially OFP) as well. I have been watching some vids showing the OFP campaign recently – no wonder that the game was so popular, it had a deep story to tell!

In general, I personally think that many game developers underestimate the importance of story and environment that supports it. No need to go any further to get an example; OFP and Arma 2 were both major sellers – and what did they have? Deep story and atmosphere that supported it (units, map etc). Do I think that they were the main reasons why they were successors? Yes, I do. For example, think about DayZ; would it have been such success if it was on Altis or Takistan? I don't think so.

Arma is FPS after all, so you get to fight on the ground and explore the content of map at very close distances, unlike in eg. strategy games. Being "inside" the map instead of just looking it from high above renders the immersive experience very important in my opinion – you have to get a feeling that a community of people has lived and maybe living still in there, instead of shallow and lifeless map. That's why I find that a proper civilian side in a game like Arma is essential in creating an immersive experience with deep story. I'm very interested (and scared) to see what goodies the big update will bring us tomorrow.

Yes, I'm definitely hoping for more civilian variety, especially female NPCs and more types of clothing for civs in general. I hate it when I get into a hostage mission and end up saving the same three guys, all wearing shorts and golf shirts. Why does OPFOR always kidnap golfers? ;)

• Like 1

ArmA 2 had a much more realistic feel to it, with numerious different civ vehicles & civilians of both sexes (still go back to it from time to time) ArmA 3 may look good, but a totally male world, & buildings with nothing in them! just spoils what could be a very realistic game...

Thankfully there is the CUP team with the ported stuff, will have to ask them for the Red tractor.... :f:

• Like 1