Sign in to follow this  
mistyronin

Farmers in Arma 3

Well, I was checking the list of vehicles in the final release of A3; and due that Altis has most of it land full of farms, I was wondering why there isn't a tractor or any farm vehicle. Are they gonna be in the future?

I mean, to me it feels like a vehicle like that would add a lot of atmosphere. And even if the island is in a huge economic crisis that make the fuel prices be really expensive, they would need some kind of mechanical help. I guess farmers in a situation like that would also use animals for traction ( horses / cattle ), though they would be more difficult to implement.

In any case maybe even mopeds would be a nice addition, if fuel price is that bad. In third world countries it's one of the main means of transport to carry goods to the market.

Of course that any of these would barely affect directly to gameplay, but would help mission makers and also BI team to create more believable stories. Could even be part of the missions, as firefights can take place in the countryside and a farmer can go to complain about the destruction of his property or a lost soldier can use any of these to regroup with his unit.

And they don't even need to do them from scratch, I'd use the A2 version tunned a bit up to fit more in A3 world.

Tractor, armored tractor and a Farma mission. It's everything ArmA 3 needs to get a GOTY award. </joke>

If you're referring to the list that is on the forums, I believe it was stated it might be incomplete. Either way, if there is a tractor it probably goes under the "civilian vehicles" category.

EDIT: Same goes for mopeds

If you're referring to the list that is on the forums, I believe it was stated it might be incomplete.

I was talking about the official vehicle list. I hope they could add this vehicles in the release or in one of the campaign chapters.

I like to make immersive missions, where you could feel the realities of war; not just a Call of Duty bang bang destroy everything without thinking.

Ahh, brings back memories of the red OFP tractor, cant remember if they made a tractor for arma and arma 2 though.

"steal the tractor" mission would be sorely missed if there ain't one...

PhysX enabled tractor.. with PiP mirrors. A dream come true!

Edited by Simas

PhysX enabled tractor.. with PiP mirrors. A dream come true!

Hiking Simulator. Now with more crops!

"steal the tractor" mission would be sorely missed if there ain't one...

You would be surprised what soldiers do in wartime. Funny as it my seem, soldiers sometimes use civilian vehicles as a tractor. I had to provide myself in farm fields when I was in the army.

In wartime is not all so beautiful that you have always choppers as transport, ammo points, drinking water or even food. ( specially in big wars ). I think it would be a nice point to add some of this in the gameplay. More OFP style.

There are farmers in Arma 3. They wear the traditional Agean costume consisting of a polo shirt, Bermuda shorts and flip-flops and drive around in shiny Dodge-looking pickup trucks.

• Like 1

Ahh, brings back memories of the red OFP tractor, cant remember if they made a tractor for arma and arma 2 though.

Yep, in "after Montignac" i fled aboard one of them...

Yep, in "after Montignac" i fled aboard one of them...
Even more than 10 years after played it, I still have nightmares about that mission hahaha, the first time I spent 1 hour walking and hiding to avoid the Hind.

But, yeah it's a clear example.

Yep, and even in A2 - the fond memories of EXFIL from failed MP op by seized tractor :)

I'm pretty sure I saw the red tractor in "Blood Sweat and Tears" mission in Arma 1. I also think there was plenty of tractors in Chernarus.. They're cool, but not game-breaking if not included in A3 :D

Civilians have been a real let down in the arma experience. Chernarus only had WW1 looking people. Their clothes were bad and they mostly all had ridiculous hats. The only peek into reality were the secretary and the guy in the tie. But I shouldn't forget that the prostitutes looked modern and the long haired freak. They didn't make city people just country. OA was better. But now in A3 we have modern people. But so far it's only tourists with the same clothes only changing the design or color. Then there are the dance club guys with tight shirts and baggy pants. Altis is a lot more modern and has a few cities. I hope, hope, hope that bi might still give us normal civilians. Like jeans and t shirts without collars. Some dressed nice, some not, maybe a bum or two. Maybe in Europe they all dress like this, so bi might always see these types. Please normal civilians. And no vests and no hats. No profiteers wearing Spanky hats. Would you buy something from a guy wearing a blazer and a childs hat? Just give us a good variety, not just the same 3 people retextured a bunch of times.

But so far it's only tourists with the same clothes only changing the design or color. Then there are the dance club guys with tight shirts and baggy pants. Altis is a lot more modern and has a few cities. I hope, hope, hope that bi might still give us normal civilians. Like jeans and t shirts without collars. Some dressed nice, some not, maybe a bum or two. Maybe in Europe they all dress like this, so bi might always see these types. Please normal civilians.

I think ( I HOPE ) that the civilians-tourists that are now in the Beta are just a few civs, but that this wednesday they are gonna add the proper Altis population. Well in eastern Europe they dress a bit like the ones in Chernarus, but in the western and mediterranean they dress the same as in US ( mainly jeans and t-shirt/shirt ) .

when are we going to see the females? i hope they give them female specific animations. the first female we saw in arma 3(bikini girl from a demo video) had the male sprinting animation.

Every game in the Arma series had a tractor, I would be surprised if A3 would miss out on that.

when are we going to see the females? i hope they give them female specific animations. the first female we saw in arma 3(bikini girl from a demo video) had the male sprinting animation.

Limp-wristed girly runs and effeminate walks? I'd rather not see that, to be honest. The male animations should do fine were females to be released, what with female humans having the same muscles around the same bones as their male human counterparts... :rolleyes:

I do hope we get more civillian stuff in general, though. Busses, civilian aircraft, tour boats, tractors, a couple of car variants and clothing changes. If they don't get official attention, though, I'm sure the modders will take it upon themselves to work on it. After all, I'd hate to see actual useful content and improvements cut so that BIS could announce their coach tours DLC!

I do hope we get more civillian stuff in general, though. Busses, civilian aircraft, tour boats, tractors, a couple of car variants and clothing changes. If they don't get official attention, though, I'm sure the modders will take it upon themselves to work on it. After all, I'd hate to see actual useful content and improvements cut so that BIS could announce their coach tours DLC!

Completely agree with that, to me we have enough stuff for bang-bang ( well some ships and planes would be cool too ), I think that civilian stuff is a must, cuz wars are not fight in some kind of uninhabited Mars ( at least for now ).Civs add the flavor.

What would be modern wars without "collateral damage"? Ask Obama or Bush. In fact I think that right now the civilian factor is decisive in actual wars.

And also add more depth to the game ( save civilians like in Grenada, evacuate embassy like in Tehran, protect V.I.P., etc. )

That's remind me about Mount & Blade (a man in woman's dress).

Limp-wristed girly runs and effeminate walks? I'd rather not see that, to be honest. The male animations should do fine were females to be released, what with female humans having the same muscles around the same bones as their male human counterparts... :rolleyes:

ever hear the phrase you run like a girl? there are clear differences in cadence and pattern that cannot be reflected by just using a smaller female bone. this is more important than cars and clothing which can be easily modded in. no one here owns a mo-cap studio.