Delta Hawk

US Military Mod (80s, 90s)

Great mod Delta Hawk! Really fun with these nice units. Found a minor bug: some "Light" Soldiers have the same model as their normal counterpart, e.g. Army Machinegunner. Also would be cool if you added a commander unit, the model of the unarmed light soldier with cap but maybe with the officer loadout.

But these are really little inconveniences, it is nevertheless big entertainment to play with these amazing units!

You're welcome, no worries! :)

A suggestion for weaponry, though. I noticed that both your 90s and 80s units use the FGM Javelin as their primary anti-tank weapon. (Speaking of which, the FGM Javelin units are missing ammo rockets). However, an

would be more fitting, as the FGM Javelin is anachronistic, since it wasn't introduced until 1996, and the Dragon remained in service until 2001. Luckily, Operation Arrowhead already comes with a decent M47 Dragon model, ready for use! ;)

Another feedback report:

1.) Some of the unarmed USMC units are listed as "Soldier", when some of them are listed as "Marine".

2.) The 1980s U.S. Marines have nametapes, but most photographs show 1980s Marines without nametapes (just a simple stenciled-on EGA).

3.) The 1990s U.S. Marines have stenciled-on EGAs, but if my memory serves me correct, the USMC switched to embroidered EGAs during the 1990s.

4.) FGM Javelin units have no ammunition for the launchers (mentioned above). But, they'd be better off with M47 Dragons anyway. :)

5.) Nametapes overlap bloody wound textures. For example, when wounded, the chest would be bloody, but the nametapes would be squeaky-clean.

6.) Shouldn't the USMC boonies have an EGA on them?

7.) I noticed that you mentioned that there would be new gameplay features coming up later. Would rolling sleeves up and down via the action menu be a part of this?

8.) Will there be any M1 helmets and/or OD green units? Like this? (picture from late 1986)

Anyway, that's all I have for now. I like how the PASGT vests have oil stains on them, little details like that make all the difference. :D

Only problem is this would probably require the mod to be used with CO instead of just ArmA 2 standalone (not a big deal but just pointing it out, I noticed the same thing.) I'm not sure but also the normal AT guys should have M72's instead of AT4's if possible, maybe you could add one in your weapons pack?

I noticed you were working on HMMWVs, do you have any plans for CUCVs? They'd be perfect for the 1980s guys.

Only problem is this would probably require the mod to be used with CO instead of just ArmA 2 standalone (not a big deal but just pointing it out, I noticed the same thing.) I'm not sure but also the normal AT guys should have M72's instead of AT4's if possible, maybe you could add one in your weapons pack?

AT4s would be fine for 1990s, but M72 LAW would be perfect for both 1980s and even 1990s. Even in the 1990s, M72 LAWs were still widespread.

I noticed you were working on HMMWVs, do you have any plans for CUCVs? They'd be perfect for the 1980s guys.

Vilas has the CUCV already in his P85. Perhaps not to same levels of detail as Delta Hawk's offerings, but you can use it now...

William

I'm still out of words...fantastic release. only downpoint: at the moment you released them, I was on my way to sleep damn it! :D

absolutely love the texture selection thingie you did. such immense possibilities to costumize the look of the units...don't know if it's been mentioned, but the woodland Army dudes have the 101st logo on both arms without the US flag...appart from that, did you allready include the "OD" and "Urban" camos? they don't seem to work. Anyway, this is one truly awesome release, thank you for the amount of work you put into it!

forgot to mention: the radios in alice packs seem to produce a shadow error, as in; they only cast partial shadows.

many thanks again and now get working on the other addons! ;)

For the urban camo, the 'readme.pdf' lists the wrong texture name:

Try:

Urban camouflage BDUs
[6,"\us_military_units\textures\uniform_bdu_win_urban_co.paa"]

(That's "win" instead of "sum" between "bdu" and "urban").

William

Delta - The work is incredible.....Thanx So much.

I have a few suggestions....

Noticed a lot of bonnies...Patrol Caps for army and Cover for marines would be nice to see too

Also Ranger units in the80's to Mid 90's wore OD uniforms, or used OD Patrol Caps with a ranger tab on them

would love to see Rangers and other Spec ops from the 80's and 90's since I have numorous Mission ideas in mind...

Please continue your great work.....

and again Thank You so much..

BTW just a small suggestion to anyone who needs correct weaponry ASAP - CWR2 mod has all the goodies you need and more=)))

Some more suggestion i just thought of while playing the CWR2 mod with these units. You could also make some Gas masks and or NBC units as well and when you figure out some scripts or get some help you could give players the option to put the masks on! And/or you could make a winter version of these soldiers since you've already made a woodland and desert! Are you interested?

I do have one more question though. I can not seem to find the difference between the 80's units and the 90's units, nor can i see the difference between rifleman 1 and rifleman 2 for the 80's units, Is it just me?

GREAT WORK :D !!! But there are some problems with textures on '90 USMC Medic :(. Cant wait for full version.

80s and 90s have different load bearing vest systems. Rifleman 2 has AFAIK smoke grenades.

For all those of you wanting 1993-style U.S. Army Rangers, just place a 1990s U.S. Army desert unit down in the editor and put this in the init. (Some of the classnames in the readme are incorrect.)

this setobjecttexture [7,"\us_military_units\textures\helmet_6des_co.paa"];

Make sure the unit is equipped with a PASGT helmet first.

Urban camouflage BDUs
[6,"\us_military_units\textures\uniform_bdu_win_urban_co.paa"]

Thanks, it worked! The urban camo looks nice! :)

Edited by Laqueesha

Wow, so many question.

Laqueesha, thanks, I'll fix the Soldier Marine thing. You appear to be correct about the name tapes for Marines during 1980s. Will fix. I know for a fact the MARPAT cammies had embroidered EGAs, but I've found no evidence that the BDUs were embroidered. I remember seeing iron on EGAs in the shoppettes back when, so I'm assuming that was what they did until the MARPAT came around. I was going to make the assistant Javlin gunner carry the rocket bag, but never got around to it. As for the M47 if I'm going to make my own weapons pack, I'll just make a M47 Dragon. Right now there's not much I can do about the blood on nametapes. The MARPAT boonies have the EGAs on them, but I've found no evidence of the EGA on the BDU boonies. Rolling the sleeves will not be an option, it's just for looks. M1 helmets, Ranger OD uniforms, .45s .etc is pushing more towards a Vietnam mod. I'm going for the late 80s look. I do plan on have CUCVs if I get around to them.

Delta29, in real life, the armor doesn't get bloody on the outside unless someone bleeds on it.

DeltaDog17, I'll probably replace some of the non infantry guy's m9s with m1911s for the 80s. For the 90s, it'll probably stay M9s for the regular units. If I make a weapons pack, it'll include those weapons. I'd like to make gas masks useing the hidden selections. I'm just hesitant because of the poly count. I'd like to make the M65 field jacket for winter guys, but that won't be for awhile. There's very subtle difference between the 80s and 90s guy and Marines and Army.

OnFire, can you please be specific. The normal or heavy are units with a flak jacket. The light are without a flak jacket, though both can have helmets.

FLv*VeNoM*, typically, the American flag wasn't worn on the woodland BDUs simply because it doesn't blend in with the environment. You can add it though if you want. I'll look into making the shadow LOD more detail for the radio pack.

_William, noted. Thanks, will fix.

Sabre725, you can change the boonies to patrol caps via setobjecttexture commands. The Rangers continued to wear the late Vietnam era fatigues into the 80s, most notably Operation Urgent Fury and probably in Op Eagle Claw. After that they wore BDUs. I'm going for the late 80s look.

1986Marek, noted. Thanks, will fix.

You can use the setobjecttexture on ALL UNITS for change between army cap, navy cap, boonie and helmet. Just be sure to undo the default head gear.

example

this setobjecttexture [6,""]; this setobjecttexture [7,"\us_military_units\textures\uniform_bdu_win_dcu_co.paa"]

Remember guys, I'm only one person with a lot on my plate right now. I'd like it if people helped or even join my mod to make stuff, but until then I'm doing this solo.

American flag on M81 Woodland BDUs would be fine for early 2000s (2000-2002). However, for the '90s, it was not done much, except in a few cases.

Thanks for the info, Delta! Any chances we might see ranks on the PASGT helmet covers, M.P. brassards, or NVG mounts? :)

Question, most pictures show 1990s U.S. Army guys without NVG mounts. How did they wear their NVGs back then?

Cheers!

Edited by Laqueesha

Question, most pictures show 1990s U.S. Army guys without NVG mounts. How did they wear their NVGs back then?

Cheers!

back then we used NVG's one or two in a unit (at least we did in holland) and they were goggle type devices used with headbands (rubber and leather bands) headband on your head if helmet big enough helmet fits otherwise the NVG equiped soldier wear a cap or go bare headed)

delta realy nice job on these guys althoug a little disapointed to not see SF in the pack yet :P ) (one thing dont forget to set the hide body function on the SF / Rangers, i use the marines (light) as SF/Recon right now and i am missing that option)

back then we used NVG's one or two in a unit (at least we did in holland) and they were goggle type devices used with headbands (rubber and leather bands) headband on your head if helmet big enough helmet fits otherwise the NVG equiped soldier wear a cap or go bare headed)

delta realy nice job on these guys althoug a little disapointed to not see SF in the pack yet :P ) (one thing dont forget to set the hide body function on the SF / Rangers, i use the marines (light) as SF/Recon right now and i am missing that option)

Thanks for the info! ;)

If you want special forces guys, use the boonie (light) units, switch their patches using setTexture and give them camo facepaint. It's crude, but it gets the job done for now. :)

not here to argue about 1911's I'm here to say thank you!

desert storm warfare mod here I come :)

desert storm warfare mod here I come :)

I feel you! ;)

But we have no Iraqi Republican Guard blokes. I guess the Takistani regulars will have to do. :(

Besides the ACE Team. Project Reality Team and LordJarhead, your one mod has permanently scored a place into my favorite mod developers list. I love how you have the hidden texture slots for customization and if only ARMA 2 had ARMA 3's (and a bit more advanced) clothing system! Absolute stellar work and I am amazed how one modder has done so much by himself. When you release the patch you are talking about fixing backpacks/backpack ace compatibility the small group I play with are super excited to start using these units!

Once again thanks for the hard work! Looking forward to see this mod develop.

laqueesha, thanks, i'll fix the soldier marine thing. you appear to be correct about the name tapes for marines during 1980s. Will fix.

No problem! Although the 1980s USMC cammies didn't have nametapes, quite a few of the 1990s cammies had them. For the DBDUs, they were usually a pinkish-tan tape with reddish lettering, like many DBDU nametapes were. The EGA decal also looks to have changed, dropping the "USMC".

Scan-28-624x418.jpg

i know for a fact the marpat cammies had embroidered egas, but i've found no evidence that the bdus were embroidered. I remember seeing iron on egas in the shoppettes back when, so i'm assuming that was what they did until the marpat came around.

Later BDUs dropped the "USMC" and just kept the EGA. I found a picture of a USMC DCU with an EGA. It looks ironed-on. I'm going with your estimation that the embroidered EGAs started with the MARPATs and everything up to that point was stenciled-on. Speaking of which, your USMC DCU (three-color desert) units are missing EGAs on their breast pockets.

I also noticed your DCU eight-point covers are missing EGAs. I know that Navy corpsmen didn't have an EGA on their DCU eight-point covers because that's where they put their petty officer crows, but I'm pretty sure that the Marines had a stenciled-on EGA on their DCU eight-point covers, as well as their BDU covers.

i was going to make the assistant javlin gunner carry the rocket bag, but never got around to it. As for the m47 if i'm going to make my own weapons pack, i'll just make a m47 dragon.

If you don't want to do all that extra work, you can just use the M47 Dragon (classname: M47Launcher_EP1) from Operation Arrowhead (it's a pretty decent model), but that would require that the end-user have O.A. installed. Of course, I'm pretty sure you'd make an even better model! ;)

right now there's not much i can do about the blood on nametapes. The marpat boonies have the egas on them, but i've found no evidence of the ega on the bdu boonies. rolling the sleeves will not be an option, it's just for looks. m1 helmets, ranger od uniforms, .45s .etc is pushing more towards a vietnam mod. I'm going for the late 80s look. I do plan on have cucvs if i get around to them.

Okay, that sounds good! Take care! :)

Edited by Laqueesha

A quick not so much bug report but suggestion. The rolled up sleeves actual inner material rolled up and shown on the outside is quite bright? IMO making them a slight bit darker would be a lot nicer picture but that may just be me.

Keep up the excellent work. You and Millenia (Fallout texture/modeller) are the greatest non-professional texture/model artists I have ever seen! Better than nearly all AAA+ games.

I'd like to make gas masks useing the hidden selections. I'm just hesitant because of the poly count.

If they're wearing the gasmask why not use CFGIdentities instead? Similar to how balaclavas work on the insurgents etc, unless you mean like a gasmask bag on their leg

Delta, I hate to throw another thing onto the "To Do" pile but this I think is kinda important for mission makers who are really lazy... lol Your backpacks currently have gear in them when they are placed in the editor and spawned in on players, I was wondering if you could have two of each type, one that spawns completely empty and one that spawns with the canteens, socks, grenades ect. This would make mission making with your units way easier. Probably would not be a hard thing to do either. I wish I could help but I've tried add-on making before and I'm just not patient enough for it.