franze

AH-64D Apache Longbow for ArmA2 by Nodunit and Franze

Hi guys-Not sure if you remember, but several months ago I was plaguing you with a bizarre issue I was having with your Apache. The moment i turned on the cockpit my framerate became unplayable and  choppy. You both did a lot to try and help me-giving me different init codes etc to disable the cockpit or to stop all scripted functions to narrow down the cause. 

Well after upgrading almost every component-CPU,GPU,Motherboard I still so no improvement....until today!  And the thing that fixed it? I switched from a HDD to SSD. Thats it- thats all it took- it runs smooth as butter now, and I can FINALLY enjoy this incredible chopper you have given our community.

So, after a year of testing and trying and a lot of frustration, everything is now fine-and fixed by a very simple means :)

Thanks again guys-your work is amazing.

Hello again, yeah I remember, sorry we couldn't find a solution but it was very baffling, that wa sthe literally first time we heard of anything like that...  But I'm glad that it has been fixed for you, can't fathom why it required a hard drive swap of all things....computers are so wierd. 

Hope you enjoy it and see you in Arma 3 :)

• Like 2

Hello again, yeah I remember, sorry we couldn't find a solution but it was very baffling, that wa sthe literally first time we heard of anything like that...  But I'm glad that it has been fixed for you, can't fathom why it required a hard drive swap of all things....computers are so wierd. 

Hope you enjoy it and see you in Arma 3 :)

Hi-quick question. Is your Apache campaign available in Arma3? Or is it just for the A2 version?

And also-is there a way to do rolling starts on wheels when using the standard flight model? I can't see a way to remove wheel brakes. Thanks guys

Hi-quick question. Is your Apache campaign available in Arma3? Or is it just for the A2 version?

And also-is there a way to do rolling starts on wheels when using the standard flight model? I can't see a way to remove wheel brakes. Thanks guys

I'm afraid not, due to using a lot of Arma 2 content..it may be possible through the All in Arma mod though.

I don't think so because standard flight model doesn't support actual wheels, as far as I know. 

That said however you can always tweak the advanced flight model to be more like the standard, set auto trim and rough landing to enabled, then wind and stress damage to disabled.  After that the biggest change will be coming to terms with collective input which will be based on a % for keyboard (so its more like a flight stick as opposed to 0-1).

If you use a mouse and keyboard then I highly recommend trying the above settings, having the adv flight model in place makes it feel less twitchy and more smooth thanks to the drag and other things, it feels more like you're using a stick even though it is keyboard.

I'm afraid not, due to using a lot of Arma 2 content..it may be possible through the All in Arma mod though.

I don't think so because standard flight model doesn't support actual wheels, as far as I know. 

That said however you can always tweak the advanced flight model to be more like the standard, set auto trim and rough landing to enabled, then wind and stress damage to disabled.  After that the biggest change will be coming to terms with collective input which will be based on a % for keyboard (so its more like a flight stick as opposed to 0-1).

If you use a mouse and keyboard then I highly recommend trying the above settings, having the adv flight model in place makes it feel less twitchy and more smooth thanks to the drag and other things, it feels more like you're using a stick even though it is keyboard.

I'll give it a go-I actually fly with an xbox controller though.  

I'll give it a go-I actually fly with an xbox controller though.  

Hmm, never flew with one of those so I can't say how the flight model behaves, I'd assume the collective is still a percentage and holds wherever you leave it from the stick, as opposed to requiring that it be pushed forward or down at all times.

Such stunning work  Nodunit and Franze, such an enjoyable addon, worth as much if not more than the 'DLC' BS puts out.  I had to edit some of the files pbo to get the initial error message to go away... I still get error messages but managed to tweak it enough to where I get only temporary error messages and they eventually go away.  ALSO PLEASE,  Nodunit and Franze PLEASE add some colorful and bright aviation lights on the outside of the Apache, it would look stunning at night, you already have made the colorful bulb models for the lights.  Also how can I get the backlighting to work at night?  The back-lighting .vmts values need tweaked or something, it sucks you have to use the sun for the backlighting to be seen at all, at night it is dim and almost not visible... the beautiful colorful cockpit would be amazing with the glow of the backlighting and the 2 displays lighting up during night flight.  Cheers

So after my previous posts mentioning that the AH-64 is working flawlessly for me now with no FPS issues, i (after 3 days) have finally figured out how to use a Hellfire missile :)

I have a couple of questions though- 1) I am having issues with the IHADSS freezing occasionally -it will stay on,but speed,altitude,ammo etc will be frozen and wont change. It also wont turn on after being turned off.

2) Apache often won't start up again after I use the Engine Off command from action menu-do I need to go through a shut-down procedure?

3) How do I move the gun turret as pilot? I can fire it, and look around in the thermal view-but I can't see how to move the gun?

Guys, bit of a problem. the chopper is perfect in 2D editor-but using it in 3D editor gives this error. The error happens in the editor if you place the chopper with you in it,or if you place it empty - then it happens when you get in to the chopper. And it does not go away-that black error box stays for the whole mission.

This is going to be a major problem when the 2D editor is removed...

mJNUqNX.jpg

sM7L7WX.png

The RTD issue has been fixed, but the update isn't ready for upload yet. There have been some fixes on the scripting side of things but there haven't been any model/art changes. At this time, I'm not sure whether a new topic should be made in the A3 forum and to officially split off the releases, especially as I am lacking effective documentation for how it all works in A3, along with lacking any mission content to use the aircraft in. We also still do not have a fix for the multiplayer turret bug.

IHADSS - That is probably linked to the RTD error. I haven't stress tested the aircraft, however.

Engine off - When you use the engine off function, you have to go through the startup procedure again.

Gun as pilot - Select the WPN page and either use a key bound to Custom User 3 or use the click action on R6. It's the option that says ACQ on the lower right. Select between HMD (aims at a position you look at) AUTO (aims at the current sensor target), FXD (fixed forward), or back to gunner's control.

@ineptaphid  - http://plays.tv/s/Kianq08j-QDg- Ignore those guys talking, just made this real quick

I had already got the gun tracking working, but thanks very much for the video. Only issue now is that on screen error caused by the 3D editor -otherwise all is prefect. I wonder why it only happens in 3D editor and not in the 2D one-strange.

I had already got the gun tracking working, but thanks very much for the video. Only issue now is that on screen error caused by the 3D editor -otherwise all is prefect. I wonder why it only happens in 3D editor and not in the 2D one-strange.

No problem man. I wonder what's causing the errors aswell. Might be that some of the scripts are already initialized when you place it down, because in the editor you're sort of in game already.

@Franze i do suggest you make a new thread on the Arma 3 forum, so people know you are working on it, cause I myself didnt even know you guys were working on it. But its your choice!

Anyway, cant wait for thr new version, keep it up!

Yeah a new thread would be nice, or just push it out along with the next update.

Little question I have: How do I manually laser paint a target? when I switch the laser on it says "Laser ready!" in the bottom left. But when I try to hit my LMB to turn on the laser nothing happens. Is this a bug or am I missing a step?

Thanks in advance

Is there a way to make APU sound longer, looped until I start main rotor? It would be so cool. Im testing Apache for A3. Right now Im using longer apu .ogg file, but it's just temporary workaround.

Absolutely fantastic mod, though.

Other issue: click helper displays on 3rd person mode, why?

And could you please reuplod manual somewhere? Link seems to be dead. Thanks!

• Like 1

Yes but I didn't feel like implementing an APU looped sound. I did that for the TKOH version, though.

Click helper is a overlay so it's always active, even in external view.

The manual works just fine for me? Maybe check it again?

Yes but I didn't feel like implementing an APU looped sound. I did that for the TKOH version, though.

I can confirm-manual is fine for me too. Literally the only issue now is the error caused by the 3D editor-and that will only be an issue when 2D editor is removed :)

Yes, manual works back again.

Is there a chance, that you could upload TKOH version of Apache?

Hey could you post here when you make a Arma 3 thread because I love this chopper and I hope to try an update soon, do you think you'll add the mod to Steam workshop?

This isn't necessarily an 'update' per say but I had to share this with any texture artists that haven't heard of it or given it a try.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Apache_substance1_zpsy7etd5e2.jpg~original
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Apache_substance2_zpszus0zn9s.jpg~original

This was done in Substance Painter 2 (my first run with it), a program that will blow your mind if you have been texturing all this time in photoshop or gimp.  You know how once you finish your diffuse you need to then play around with various contrast, levels, and brightness settings in order to make your metallic and rough maps (the green and blue channels in the _smdi files)?   Well this program allows you to do all that at once by way of materials, allowing you to not only set but also adjust your roughness and metal settings on the fly, allowing you to paint, tweak, and paint again to achieve minute changes across the mesh, not only that but you can see it all happening in realtime so you know exactly what it looks like. 

It uses a layer system very reminiscent of photoshop, gimp, paint.net, etc so if you have experience with those you should feel right at home, for the rest I highly recommend following the tutorial videos the program prompts you upon startup, there is a lot to learn but its all very intuitive and easy to get the hang of, and you'll find yourself able to do in minutes what took far longer in 2D based programs.  I'm really selling it short because there is a LOT more that it can do but I don't want to make a wall of text, I can't recommend it enough if you texture things, it will make your work flow unbelievably quicker.

• Like 5

Is there a way to make APU sound longer, looped until I start main rotor? It would be so cool. Im testing Apache for A3. Right now Im using longer apu .ogg file, but it's just temporary workaround.

+1 on this feature. It would be also nice to make "Enable Headtracking" action and waypoint cycle (MPD L6) bindable in "custom user" keybinds.

This isn't necessarily an 'update' per say but I had to share this with any texture artists that haven't heard of it or given it a try.

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Apache_substance1_zpsy7etd5e2.jpg~original

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee200/NodUnit/Apache_substance2_zpszus0zn9s.jpg~original

Sweet model Nodunit ! I can't wait to see the new AH-64D on A3. I've been following you and Franze for years now. Even in its current state, your AH-64D is the only aircraft worth flying on a simulation plateform.

• Like 1

Could you add DAGR's to the rocket list for the M261 in the next update?

DAGR's aren't rockets, those are precision missiles which are laser guided, but indeed those can fit in the M260 and M261 launchers.

It would be nice to have a new A3 AH-64D thread or a Facebook page to get some news on the dev' process.

TKOH Apache - it's way out of date but I could release that version of it just as a demonstration rig.

Steam workshop - probably not, as I'm something of a traditionalist. If someone has a compelling reason as to why we should put it there, I can be swayed.

Head Tracking and waypoint cycle keys: I'll look into that.

DAGR rockets are a 'probably not' at this time. They cannot fit in the M260 and M261 launchers; they have to be launched from special pods mounted to the M299 racks. On the other hand, APKWS II is a possibility, if we're willing to bend the rules on realism.

I plan to have an initial ArmA3 release ready in the ArmA3 section within the week; however, it will be nothing but the helicopter as I don't have any decent mission plan for it yet. Many critical bugs are fixed but some remain, such as multiplayer gun functionality.

• Like 5