franze

AH-64D Apache Longbow for ArmA2 by Nodunit and Franze

I'm having trouble with the Longbow Hellfires though. They seem very inaccurate versus even stationary targets on the firing range in free-flight. Does the game have issues hitting targets that are out of view distance? I've used all the different trajectories repeatedly, but the hit rate is still very poor (<20%). Lock is solid, as confirmed by the solid box around the reticule and the target is acquired and appears as a small yellow "H" on the FCR. Firing from within minimal range seems to be the only way to properly score hits, go figure!

if you're in the FCR/G targeting mode, your FCR is on and acquiring targets (they're appearing on your radar screen on your RMPD), you're in LOBL, scroll through them with whatever key you've set as your TSD/FCR Target Filtering (I use Tab). when you have your gunner locking your target (the square will be on it, it will be solid, and the punctured crosshair will be locked onto it as well) place your HMD over the target and right click your mouse. another smaller solid square will appear around the target. if you're properly aligned and there are no obstacles between you and the target a small circle will appear around it. that's your cue - you have a lock.

if at this point I launch the rocket, it hits my target 100% of the time.

So, trying not to seem like an impatient wanker.

Unfortunately for me everyone i know has moved on to Arma 3 leaving me alone to enjoy the Apache, is there plans to bring this over to Arma 3 anytime soon or are you going to finish off the other variations first, or just not bring it over at all?

So, trying not to seem like an impatient wanker.

Unfortunately for me everyone i know has moved on to Arma 3 leaving me alone to enjoy the Apache, is there plans to bring this over to Arma 3 anytime soon or are you going to finish off the other variations first, or just not bring it over at all?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162767-AH-64D-Apache-Longbow-for-ArmA2-by-Nodunit-and-Franze&p=2485315&viewfull=1#post2485315

^Pretty much, we're going to wait until BI has released all vehicle content and gotten more bugs ironed out. Right now TOH offers us more in terms of possibilities, Arma 3 can potentially do similar but documentation is not out for it yet. For example we might have the possibility to not only have full arming but also make that armament count as actual weight that could effect the aircraft in a variety of ways. Making rolling takeoffs more desireable under heavy loads as opposed to a hovering takeoff.

The default HUD is definately an A3 thing, funnily enough it is a Pilot thing no less. If you get in the WSO seat the HUD will not be there, just IHADSS, but when you take control it pops up..annoying. I'm also in much of a rush to push Franze to update for A3 considering that thermal imaging still deconstrasts (really burns my keester) so much and eliminates so much detail, or that we're still using the same old full screen NVG's not to mention the issues with PIP in general.

If they remove the HDR effect so that thermals remain indefinately as they appear in the first few seconds of each video segment then I would be nagging Franze so much.
Very interesting, we'll look into the burst limits by trigger pull and definately add some feedbacks for the start up sequence, Ah yes silly us forgot to do that with the MPD's, we'll have that fixed up along with some advisories next patch. Edited by NodUnit

^Pretty much, we're going to wait until BI has released all vehicle content and gotten more bugs ironed out. Right now TOH offers us more in terms of possibilities, Arma 3 can potentially do similar but documentation is not out for it yet. For example we might have the possibility to not only have full arming but also make that armament count as actual weight that could effect the aircraft in a variety of ways. Making rolling takeoffs more desireable under heavy loads as opposed to a hovering takeoff

Ah, okay then.

Now if only you could do rolling take offs in the first place in Arma... :(

Absolutely lovely mod! Reinstalled ArmA2 just to try it out in fact :P

I'm having trouble with the Longbow Hellfires though. They seem very inaccurate versus even stationary targets on the firing range in free-flight. Does the game have issues hitting targets that are out of view distance? I've used all the different trajectories repeatedly, but the hit rate is still very poor (<20%). Lock is solid, as confirmed by the solid box around the reticule and the target is acquired and appears as a small yellow "H" on the FCR. Firing from within minimal range seems to be the only way to properly score hits, go figure!

Hands down one of the most impressive addons I've seen though, fantastic work and much thanks to both of you gentlemen! :)

I'm getting the same issues here, missiles impact 5-10m off target, usually either just beyond or to the left of the target, i have to be just at minimal range and then sometimes even then i have to use the cannon to finish off targets after 4 hellfires miss :/

Also have an issues were i hit tab to select a target and the range will change to 'scalar' and aim off into no were, i've no idea how to troubleshoot it.

Edited by Scarecrow398

Very nice addon, good job. I have some questions, but sorry for my bad english.

In TADS mode i cant active laser manually, this is important for shoot anywhere, not only to units, autoselection targets with TAB is good, but need manually seleccion, as with AH-64.

Actually in the mod the laser range is changed manually, but this is auto in the real AH-64, you can set range with one transmit of laser, or active Laser.

The pilots seat only have PNVS in the mod, but in the AH-64D pilot can acces to the M-TADS display for targeting, you launch update with the M-TADS?

In the next update, can set refresh of IHASS and TADS display 1:1?

Only some times, when active radar, MFD and IHASS show the radar wiper scan, FCR work, but the radar wiper not move.

The AH-64D can transport 4 AIM-92 Stinger for auto-defence in the wing edges.

Also have an issues were i hit tab to select a target and the range will change to 'scalar' and aim off into no were, i've no idea how to troubleshoot it.

Did you do as sorophx said above or? Any chance you could record a video to help clarify a bit of information? (since the symbology plays a big role I'd like to be certain of what is going on)

I'm looking around to see what I can find on the laser but Franze could answer that better. In regards to the optic system, unfortunately we can only have a single turret source for the crew members at this time. We hope in TOH and Arma 3 to allow the PIP devices to be togglable between PNVS and TADs for both crew members. We'll also look into the radar wipers, was this in single player or multiplayer?

Stingers are loadable via the dynamic arming but does not display on the WPN page. From what we've heard this is realistic because they didn't go too far with the program but for game purposes this may be added later.

Edited by NodUnit

Laser implementation: The reason why the laser has to be turned on is if it's always there then the AI will try to use it and do the 'laser chase of doom' since the aircraft can also see laser targets. The gunner will try to follow the laser instead of pointing the laser at a target like he should. The second reason is that the remote target capability is linked to some scripting with it.

ETA: To turn on the laser, switch the left MPD to the WPN page and use the crosshair action on the "LRFD FIRST" button or use the action "BROADCAST REMOTE CODE".

Due to turret limitations, the PNVS is exclusive to the pilot and TADS exclusive to the gunner.

IHADSS refresh rate was implemented at current rate from observations of videos where the symbology is not always updated.

Stinger missiles are available by default from the arming menu (unless Stinger quantity is set to 0).

Missile problems: If you can, get me a step by step of what happens prior to launch. I can't seem to replicate these missile issues here. There's a lot of complexity involved in the AGM-114 missile guidance since it's reflective of all the things that have to go right to make a hit. If you want to use a debugging tool to follow the missile, use fza_ah64_miscam = true which will switch your camera to the missile's and follow it to impact.

Also, I'll add the procedures for RF and SAL launch here:

LOBL RF: FCR on (salute key/FCR toggle action), selected sensor can either be TADS/HMD or either FCR mode, target acquired with large solid box, no inhibit messages ("NO ACQUIRE", "NO MSL", and "LOS INVALID" are the only messages at this time).

LOAL RF: FCR on or off, selected sensor can either be TADS/HMD or either FCR mode, target acquired with small solid or dashed box, target stationary.

LOBL SAL: Sensor is TADS/HMD, target acquired with large solid box, no inhibit messages. Missile can be launched without an LOS but you must gain LOS at least 5-6 seconds before missile passes the target.

LOAL SAL: Sensor is TADS/HMD, target acquired with small solid box. Missile can be launched without an LOS but you must gain LOS at least 5-6 seconds before missile passes the target.

Edited by Franze

Thanks for quick answers.

In regards to the optic system, unfortunately we can only have a single turret source for the crew members at this time.

With the addon of this link, you can use co-pilot/gunner optic with pilot seat, i hope be usefull.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=21468

We'll also look into the radar wipers, was this in single player or multiplayer?

For the moment all my flying with this mod are in Singleplayer. I think the error of radar wisper is only in the copilot/gunner seat.

IHADSS refresh rate was implemented at current rate from observations of videos where the symbology is not always updated.

In this link have informations about HMD. For the videos i see, i think the refresh rate is more, but not have direct information about this. But is easy think in the modern aircraft, the refresh rate is good.

If help, in this video of

can see a good refresh.

I found some bugs.

In the Arming Menu, cant load any AGM-114, i set in the slots, but after load, not appear.

In the pilot seat, if you go to the PNVS, and return, now when press TAB for select targets, TD of target no change.

With stingers, i lock one air target, with FCR/A and with TADS, but the stingers goes to any target, whether or not the objective.

Thanks for quick answers.

With the addon of this link, you can use co-pilot/gunner optic with pilot seat, i hope be usefull.

For the moment all my flying with this mod are in Singleplayer. I think the error of radar wisper is only in the copilot/gunner seat.

In this link have informations about HMD. For the videos i see, i think the refresh rate is more, but not have direct information about this. But is easy think in the modern aircraft, the refresh rate is good.

If help, in this video of

can see a good refresh.

I found some bugs.

In the Arming Menu, cant load any AGM-114, i set in the slots, but after load, not appear.

In the pilot seat, if you go to the PNVS, and return, now when press TAB for select targets, TD of target no change.

With stingers, i lock one air target, with FCR/A and with TADS, but the stingers goes to any target, whether or not the objective.

Np, we'll be watching this thread closely to address any problems people have (or hope to address). Will check out the linked mod as well. CPG seat is not quite done yet so there is will be various problems and clipping (ENG page for example, and the WSO seat has very limited backlighting, ORT using an old texture so it looks funk'd)

We used footage at 2:47

to decide the pace but we'll look into the document, PNVS footage is amazingly rare and HDU even moreso...the only I've ever seen is static ....but upon looking again I'm noticing the radar altimeter carrot moving smoothely as opposed to the horizon line, we'll talk about it and see what comes out but I can't give any garuntees.

When you tried to load the hellfire missiels were you the pilot or gunner, was the pilot commanding you or you commanding him?

Is it documented some where how to get the Re-Arming Menu to come up so I can add FIM-92 Stingers? And maybe some instructions on how to load them onto the AH64D

Edited by vengeance1

My engagement procedure is as follows.

First I start with my aircraft (myself in pilot position) to the East of the Southern Takistani airport. I place 2 ZSU23/4's West of me, between 2500 and 2100 meters. I am airborne to start, facing them.

When the mission begins, I get the "TRACKING" audible warning due to the AA. So that works fine at least :P

1) Press D to bring up the Hellfires in the WPN menu.

2) Enable the radar, and make sure its in ground mode

3) Press Z to cycle the radar categorization types to RAD, for the Shilkas. 3 appear as expected.

4) Enable LOBL mode on the Hellfire

5) Ensure that the guidance method employed is FCR. The dotted box around the target becomes solid as expected.

6) Confirm that there are no error messages on the display. Range etc is properly displayed.

7) Fire. Missile ToF is a strangely high number generally 8 to 12 seconds, and the missile impacts with roughly half of the ToF remaining. No hit is scored, as the Hellfire strikes several meters to the left, right, behind, or front of the vehicle. The vehicle was not moving at all during this period.

Repeat using various LOAL modes, ensuring that the FCR is still employed during all engagements. Same occurs. No hits, and all vehicles remain active despite firing all 8 RF Hellfires.

Changing view/render distance doesnt have any effect it would appear. I normally play at 1800 (not a very good PC :P) but going as high as 4000 (thus being able to see the missile impact next to the vehicle visually) had no change in accuracy.

Is it documented some where how to get the Re-Arming Menu to come up so I can add FIM-92 Stingers? And maybe some instructions on how to load them onto the AH64D

Here under http://mechmodels.com/mas/downloads/ah64v2/manual/ah64dv2_operation.html Arming Dialogue. There is also a Weapons training mission under the training campaign hub that will voice instruct you with helpers on what to click and drag to where.

The stingers are in the same category and you will load then on to the aircraft in this mission.

For custom missions be sure to have an ammo source, such as an ammo truck nearby, then scroll down to the bottom of the action menu and enter on "Arming", that will bring the dialogue up.

Congrats Nodunit & Franze on your release and Thanks for all your hard work.

Edited by MadM0nkey
forgot Nodunit

Thanks Nodunit, this is awesome just like years ago playing JANES Longbow, I have to learn it all over again! :)

I have a question: Will you make this mod compatibel with ARMA 3? I think this is the best Helicopter for ARMA. So much detail! It would be very nice if we could see this mod for ARMA 3 in the future, because there are actually only some ugly AH 99 and MI 48.

This is because they used the driverview point and linked it to the TADS optic. In our case we have the driverview point linked to the PNVS turret; to my knowledge there's no way to cycle between view points for the pilot or gunner.

A fix for another issue disabled the gunner's ability to animate the FCR; that will be corrected in the next update.

I found some bugs.

Arming menu is picky about how it's loaded - if the M299 rack is not in the load area when missiles are placed on the rails (the dashes) then it won't load the missiles as it doesn't have the rack.

Stingers is always linked to TADS/HMD target; the FCR and ATAS have no link. This is reflective to similar issues when Stinger was tested in the late 80s/early 90s and Stinger had some trouble integrating with the AH-64A fire control.

I'm not sure about your PNVS issue, I can't seem to replicate targeting errors when using it or not.

My engagement procedure is as follows....

I followed this exactly and got good hits from all modes and all missile types, both in the Longbow and NR. No other mods running? Are different vehicles the same? Are you launching from a high altitude?

My engagement procedure is as follows.

First I start with my aircraft (myself in pilot position) to the East of the Southern Takistani airport. I place 2 ZSU23/4's West of me, between 2500 and 2100 meters. I am airborne to start, facing them.

When the mission begins, I get the "TRACKING" audible warning due to the AA. So that works fine at least :P

1) Press D to bring up the Hellfires in the WPN menu.

2) Enable the radar, and make sure its in ground mode

3) Press Z to cycle the radar categorization types to RAD, for the Shilkas. 3 appear as expected.

4) Enable LOBL mode on the Hellfire

5) Ensure that the guidance method employed is FCR. The dotted box around the target becomes solid as expected.

6) Confirm that there are no error messages on the display. Range etc is properly displayed.

7) Fire. Missile ToF is a strangely high number generally 8 to 12 seconds, and the missile impacts with roughly half of the ToF remaining. No hit is scored, as the Hellfire strikes several meters to the left, right, behind, or front of the vehicle. The vehicle was not moving at all during this period.

Repeat using various LOAL modes, ensuring that the FCR is still employed during all engagements. Same occurs. No hits, and all vehicles remain active despite firing all 8 RF Hellfires.

Changing view/render distance doesnt have any effect it would appear. I normally play at 1800 (not a very good PC :P) but going as high as 4000 (thus being able to see the missile impact next to the vehicle visually) had no change in accuracy.

I can't seem to replicate it, tried it 5K out and had no problems.

there was one instance wherein my missile smashed itself into the ground but the box was not solid. (video no longer private, derp) Edited by NodUnit

We used footage at 2:47
to decide the pace but we'll look into the document, PNVS footage is amazingly rare and HDU even moreso...the only I've ever seen is static ....but upon looking again I'm noticing the radar altimeter carrot moving smoothely as opposed to the horizon line, we'll talk about it and see what comes out but I can't give any garuntees.

This footage is about a very early AH-64A version, I am convinced that the modern versions D work much better.

When you tried to load the hellfire missiels were you the pilot or gunner, was the pilot commanding you or you commanding him?
Arming menu is picky about how it's loaded - if the M299 rack is not in the load area when missiles are placed on the rails (the dashes) then it won't load the missiles as it doesn't have the rack.

Ok now understand method for load AGM-114, thanks.

Stingers is always linked to TADS/HMD target; the FCR and ATAS have no link. This is reflective to similar issues when Stinger was tested in the late 80s/early 90s and Stinger had some trouble integrating with the AH-64A fire control.

Yes if i select HMD, go to the correct target but if i select FCR/A, all my marks are in target A, and im looking target A, my SOI is in A, my Gun crosshair is in A, and when fire, Stinger go to B, other helicopter, or go to C, vehicle in ground. And this is D model, not A, systems are different.

I'm not sure about your PNVS issue, I can't seem to replicate targeting errors when using it or not.

Every time i try give me same error. You select FCR/G, select MSL, activate radar, press TAB, TD lock at the correct target, but if you go PNVS with 0 of KP, system not work fine now, if you press TAB or not mark target with TD, or mark but hellfire not fly to target.

P.D: Other think i like speak is about the camera shake when fire gun, i think the shacking is too energetic in the mod, in the videos there, and there's a lot, the shaking is very soft, does not hinder in any way the vision.

Edited by Legolasindar

I use Tab to select my target, and once the box is solid I fire. I'm not using Manual fire either, but the Fire command that I bound to my joystick's trigger. This is really odd! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but its obviously on my end somewhere.

I use Tab to select my target, and once the box is solid I fire. I'm not using Manual fire either, but the Fire command that I bound to my joystick's trigger. This is really odd! I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but its obviously on my end somewhere.

Any chance you could record your procedure and upload it to a video website? (suggest fraps for recording software, you can get it free to record for 30 seconds, then use movie maker to save it as a youtube file and then upload it anywhere)

I have a question: Will you make this mod compatibel with ARMA 3? I think this is the best Helicopter for ARMA. So much detail! It would be very nice if we could see this mod for ARMA 3 in the future, because there are actually only some ugly AH 99 and MI 48.

No plans at this time, but you are free to import the addon (just drop it into your folder and set it as an empty aircraft, or use AiA to get access to the pilots) into Arma 3 but beware that not everything functions correctly.

Edited by NodUnit

Woooooooooow...!

A must have!

Sorry, i´m in a hurry - have to make the flight check :D

Thanks a millon for your hard work!

Cheers

Did you do as sorophx said above or? Any chance you could record a video to help clarify a bit of information? (since the symbology plays a big role I'd like to be certain of what is going on)

No problem, just heading out to work but I'll get a test mission and video up when I get back.

Attention users.

Please read the topics you wish to contribute to. This is not a chat, this is a forum. Questions regarding their arma 3 plans have been answered several times now. This topic has only 10 pages so far. Administrative action is an option to discourage spamming A2 mod makers with questions about A3.