franze

AH-64D Apache Longbow for ArmA2 by Nodunit and Franze

Is the BIII going to be just for A3?  Or are you going to add the model of the BIII or BII+ with MTADS, ASPI etc to A2 as well?

Probably not, don't get your hopes up.

T129? Neat!

Good eye, yeap thats exactly what it is. 

Crap, I was looking forward to a Mi-28 so much... This'll do I guess.

I think that your perfectionism is what made this mod so great in the first place!

No worries mate I have one of those in my storeroom too.

Havoc_Base_zpsdilqn16b.jpg

About the perfectionism, theres nothing wrong with wanting you work to be spot on thats true, but in this case its fallen into the trap of "it's never perfect", there is a common problem of some artists seeing nothing but flaws in their work after staring at it for so long, wanting to tweak and change it...and while yes there are genuine reasons to change some things, at this point its best to not because I'll be tempted to nearly start over.

Is the BIII going to be just for A3?  Or are you going to add the model of the BIII or BII+ with MTADS, ASPI etc to A2 as well?

I honestly couldn't say right now.

• Like 1

ACE3 lasers and FCS compatibility planned? You know, LOAL, LOBL and stuff :D

Mhmm you have a good point there, ever heard of the Pareto principle (80-20 rule)? Basically it states that, roughly speaking, 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes. So you work on your top 20% ideas and it will probably cause 80% off the effects. So take in mind that, when you are operating an aircraft like this, you're looking at the inside 99% of the time. You also work with instruments a lot, so it'd probably be a good idea if those were functioning properly, rather than correcting the tail rotor being out of place. I'm a perfectionist myself too, and this principle really helps me with my study.

pareto_chart_customer-complaints.jpg

Maybe you could create a poll with say, 10 different ideas of improving the mod. You post that stuff up on Reddit and, if you get a decent amount of votes, see which 2 or 3 are most voted on. If you focus creating, improving w/e those ideas, you'll probably satisfy the majority of players while also minimizing the amount of work you have to put in.

About the Mi-28 model: How much time did it take you to create that? It's starting to come together nicely!

I was going to send this as a PM but I thought other people might get some use out of this.

Cheers!

For sure which is why I made the cockpit as detailed as it is in terms of geometry...problem is at the time I wasn't familiar with the rules of baking normal maps, just texturing them, so I supplimented any baked edges with physical geometry which bumped the count up very high. 
So essentially I wanted to take the entirety of the cockpit and mofidy it to be more optimized, maybe add another texure to make the consoles, doors, and a few other areas sharper, a less edged glare shield and more space for wear and tear.

In terms of the exterior I am still quite plased, it is a bit blocky in some places but that doesn't bother me too much and I'm plenty happy with the rotor detail, if anything I'd like to see to what extent I can optimize it..which is something I can toy around with on other aircraft, hence the apache being shelved for the moment.

For sure which is why I made the cockpit as detailed as it is in terms of geometry...problem is at the time I wasn't familiar with the rules of baking normal maps, just texturing them, so I supplimented any baked edges with physical geometry which bumped the count up very high. 

So essentially I wanted to take the entirety of the cockpit and mofidy it to be more optimized, maybe add another texure to make the consoles, doors, and a few other areas sharper, a less edged glare shield and more space for wear and tear.

In terms of the exterior I am still quite plased, it is a bit blocky in some places but that doesn't bother me too much and I'm plenty happy with the rotor detail, if anything I'd like to see to what extent I can optimize it..which is something I can toy around with on other aircraft, hence the apache being shelved for the moment.

Are you working on that right now or did you decide not to do it?

Are you working on that right now or did you decide not to do it?

Not to, for now.

I want to focus on something other than the apache with what spare time I have.

Not to, for now.

I want to focus on something other than the apache with what spare time I have.

Oh right, is the T129 almost done? I thought it was going to be an OPFOR chopper :], then again with the crap going on right now I wouldn't be suprised if the Turks drop out of NATO.

Oh right, is the T129 almost done? I thought it was going to be an OPFOR chopper :], then again with the crap going on right now I wouldn't be suprised if the Turks drop out of NATO.

Ingame modelwise its halfway I'd say, and yes it will be opfor, the idea is Greece vs Turky rather than US vs Russia, something more tied to the location of Arma 3.

But something has come up and I won't be able to work on it for a long while, or the apache.

Ingame modelwise its halfway I'd say, and yes it will be opfor, the idea is Greece vs Turky rather than US vs Russia, something more tied to the location of Arma 3.

But something has come up and I won't be able to work on it for a long while, or the apache.

Yeah man no problem take your time, looking forward to the next update whenever you've finished it!

Hi guys,

I'm new to this mod but love the look of it!!

Am sure this question has been asked and possibly answered previously and i've searched this topic for an answer but with no luuck so far.

I am having real problems getting the clickable cockpit to work with User Control 20 and any key or combination of keys? Have tried Alt-X, Left Ctl, E,`, and numerous others?

When i press a key in the Config>Controls>Custom Keys menu, it maps it as that key + the Z rotation axis from my Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog Throttle, yesterday it was doing the same for my Saitek Rudder Pedals!!!!

I can get it to map the correct keys if i hit the chosen key again and delete the one that maps my throttle + the key etc.

But still nothing works to activate the in-cockpit switches so i can't even start ground power or engines to power up systems etc?

Any ideas?

Many thanks and Happy Xmas.

EDIT:  See post below.

Just tried disconnecting all my controllers but still nothing works and mapping won't work although controller axis now obviously not being mapped.

Just re-read the manual on Cockpit Activation and it refers to a "small pipper" well all i get is a small green cross or X??  No pipper like the one shown and mentioned in the manual? But the Help text does show when i hover the X over a clickable switch or button in the cockpit?

Oh and i'm using the Arma 3 version of the mod, downloaded and installed via withSix.  No other mods installed other than those required to run the chopper.

The green "x" should be enough, for me at least. I set my hotkey to â€~", and it seems to be working fine for me.

I've come up with a few things that might be worth trying out, I'm not really sure, just guessing.

Tried disconnecting your flight peripherals, restarting your PC and then check in-game?

I'm not a wizard when it comes to IT but you could try to look up where the Arma 3 control config file is saved. You might be able to manually edit that file and change the hotkey if you can find out how (Google is your best friend).

You said you were using withSIX, do you mean Sync BETA or the discontinued launcher? Because I have a problem with mods needed to be updated over and over again; they just reappear in the "Updates" list no matter how many times I download them. Anyways, you could diagnose or reinstall the mod.

That's everything I can think of as of now, please tell me if any of this has worked or if you have come up with a solution yet.

Hey floris,

Thanks for the assistance.

I have got the clickable cockpit working now, i disconnected all controllers, restarted PC, started A3 from the game launcher rather than SyncBETA and with all mods disabled other than the Apache and CBA.  Assigned \ key as cockpit control switch (User 20).

Jumped into the mission and all was good!  What i have had a problem with though now is getting the start up procedure to actually get me off the ground?  I follow through the sequence specified in the manual but shortly after disengaging the rotor brake the engines spool down and shut off before i can apply power and lift off.  I re-connected my controllers and they are detected and working but applying power via the throttle controller (or hitting Shift on the keyboard) does nothing and i have to keep going through the start up process but with the same result?

If i create a mission with the helo in flight all is good and i can fly it and control the systems via clickable cockpit etc.

Any ideas mate?

Very many thanks for your help and Happy Christmas!

Hey floris,

Thanks for the assistance.

I have got the clickable cockpit working now, i disconnected all controllers, restarted PC, started A3 from the game launcher rather than SyncBETA and with all mods disabled other than the Apache and CBA.  Assigned \ key as cockpit control switch (User 20).

Jumped into the mission and all was good!  What i have had a problem with though now is getting the start up procedure to actually get me off the ground?  I follow through the sequence specified in the manual but shortly after disengaging the rotor brake the engines spool down and shut off before i can apply power and lift off.  I re-connected my controllers and they are detected and working but applying power via the throttle controller (or hitting Shift on the keyboard) does nothing and i have to keep going through the start up process but with the same result?

If i create a mission with the helo in flight all is good and i can fly it and control the systems via clickable cockpit etc.

Any ideas mate?

Very many thanks for your help and Happy Christmas!

Glad to hear you got the cockpit working!

Have you tried using your keyboard controls to lift off (maybe even with all other controllers disconnected), to make sure you're doing the procedure right (Battery -> APU -> ENG 1 + ENG 2 -> ENG 1 + 2 levers -> rotor break I believe?)?

I think that when you select "Engine off" in the scroll menu that it automatically disengages the startup protocol, and your HOTAS might automatically turn off the engine when you have the throttle all the way down.

There also was something on Reddit about this:(https://www.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/2lgt5m/tflight_hotas_x_helicopter_control_configuration/)

I don't own any flight controllers but it might be handy going through the deepest of settings both in Arma and in the controller software.

If you want to go through the pain you could also reset your controls to definitely make sure it's not software-sided

Happy Christmas to you as well mate!

Yeah it works if i have my HOTAS throttle already set to 80-100% when i complete the start up sequence.  No problems getting airborne now.

Does anyone know if there is a way to set up a mission that enables you to fly as Gunner (or Pilot/Gunner) but be able to order the AI Pilot not to fly off all over the AO when you become Gunner???  Very annoying!!!  Have Googled a lot of potential solutions to this but none work?  Pilot always does his own thing as soon as you jump to Gunner and it's then totally impossible to engage anything?

Thanks again for all your help.

There is no way to fly as the gunner vs pilot right now, even if you could the AI tends to do their own thing when acting as pilots of aircraft, flying you straight toward targets you wouldn't want to engage close up and running the risk of finding trees at hillsides, just a generally 'meh' time.

If you wish to take control of the cannon, scroll through the action menu until you see "Gun Control", hit enter and the cannon should swivel to where your character is looking, you can then use freelook to aim it wherever you like, just keep in mind that the round isn't going to follow your reticle 100%.

Just letting you guys know someone just put your Apache on the Steam Workshop

Thank you for letting us know, I checked the link you sent and as long as Franze isn't bothered then I'm not worried since the author has blatantly stated that it is not their work, and respectfully posted the same credits from Franze's original post.

hey there,

tried to use your chopper in Arma3 worked pretty good in editor

i do like to use it in the DCG coop mission enviroment. but it doesnt show up in the vehicle spawner

and i cant figure out why.

This should be added to Arma 3 RHS. Replace their standard Arma 2 Apache ports. 

BTW love the hell out of this Apache! Its amazing :D 

I agree, this bird is such a beauty, very nice and really the closest thing to a simulator that I've seen in Arma. The only thing that saddens me a bit is, that you never got around to finish the A model for Arma2, it would have gone so nicely with mods like CWR2...

Many thanks for this insanely thought through and complete addon. As I said, that beast almost feels like it belongs to a different game

Thank you, I checked the link and its All good since they gave credit. 
I don't know Franze's opinion on it but I don't mind people distributing the mod for free right now as long as they do not claim it as their own and provide a way to get to the original source. 

Hi guys-Not sure if you remember, but several months ago I was plaguing you with a bizarre issue I was having with your Apache. The moment i turned on the cockpit my framerate became unplayable and  choppy. You both did a lot to try and help me-giving me different init codes etc to disable the cockpit or to stop all scripted functions to narrow down the cause. 

Well after upgrading almost every component-CPU,GPU,Motherboard I still so no improvement....until today!  And the thing that fixed it? I switched from a HDD to SSD. Thats it- thats all it took- it runs smooth as butter now, and I can FINALLY enjoy this incredible chopper you have given our community.

So, after a year of testing and trying and a lot of frustration, everything is now fine-and fixed by a very simple means :)

Thanks again guys-your work is amazing.