franze

AH-64D Apache Longbow for ArmA2 by Nodunit and Franze

Heyy I'm having trouble getting the IHADSS to show up, I tried adjusting the brightness, changing modes, restarting Arma 3 but can't seem to get it to appear. Could it have something to do with when I saved the game while I was outside the chopper? Any idea on how I can get it back or should I restart my game?

Edit: Ok I got it back somehow not sure exactly how, after I landed at a Service area (in the mission I'm playing) got rearmed and refueled, saved the game while in chopper, reloaded or exited the game and now it's back.

Edited by Emton

Heyy I'm having trouble getting the IHADSS to show up, I tried adjusting the brightness, changing modes, restarting Arma 3 but can't seem to get it to appear. Could it have something to do with when I saved the game while I was outside the chopper? Any idea on how I can get it back or should I restart my game?

Edit: Ok I got it back somehow not sure exactly how, after I landed at a Service area (in the mission I'm playing) got rearmed and refueled, saved the game while in chopper, reloaded or exited the game and now it's back.

Did you also toggle the IHADSS themselves? (not mode) this sounds like yet another bug come back from the grave. Basically there is a chance that after saving the game, regardless of being in the aircraft or no, you would have to scroll through the menu and use the "Toggle IHADSS" command to get it to show up.

Did you also toggle the IHADSS themselves? (not mode) this sounds like yet another bug come back from the grave. Basically there is a chance that after saving the game, regardless of being in the aircraft or no, you would have to scroll through the menu and use the "Toggle IHADSS" command to get it to show up.

Yea I was definitely toggling the IHADSS as well as the mode as well as the brightness (incase it got set to off), also around the same time the helper toggler wasn't working (couldn't click buttons, wasn't showing that buttons were clickable). After restarting Arma a few times and/or reloading the save a few times did it come back. But now the mission I was flying deleted all my saves haha but I don't know if that's related...

Can anyone help a noobie figure this chopper out? Is there a keybind to toggle the IHADSS...

Please read the readme in the filedownload from Armaholic :)

Hey I want to try flying this on the DUWS mission. How could I get that to work? All it would need is the ability to land at the home base and repair, refuel and rearm and maybe also at captured FOBs. Anyone tried running this on DUWS yet?

Hey I want to try flying this on the DUWS mission. How could I get that to work? All it would need is the ability to land at the home base and repair, refuel and rearm and maybe also at captured FOBs. Anyone tried running this on DUWS yet?

DUWS is a bit tricky because the vehicle purchasing and such is all coded within the mission. However, I think if you edited the files to give yourself the developer's console, you could probably spawn one via scripting commands.

DUWS is a bit tricky because the vehicle purchasing and such is all coded within the mission. However, I think if you edited the files to give yourself the developer's console, you could probably spawn one via scripting commands.

Hmm well there is a version of DUWS with Zeus added which might work if I find out how to include mod items in Zeus. But I'd really like to be able to purchase through the menu and give it a regular price. If I'm subscribed to a mission on steam workshop should I be able to edit the mission, I'm assuming so because there are variants of DUWS (edit: I found where the missions are stored), maybe I could try to figure it out if it's easy enough.

Edited by Emton

Any script guru's around here able to help me out with the following?

I'm adding the following to init box of the playable units of a co-op game to allow them to lase targets for the AH-64:

laserscript = [this] execvm "\fza_ah64_controls\scripting\add_remt.sqf";

This works very well, and I absolutely love that capability.

The problem occurs when the player dies and respawns, he seems to lose that capability because I can no longer find a remote code then in the Apache when they're lasing.

I tried solving it with the following in the init box, but alas no success so far. Any help would be highly appreciated.

laserscript = [this] execvm "\fza_ah64_controls\scripting\add_remt.sqf";
this addMPEventHandler ["MPRespawn",{_null = [_this select 0] execVM "\fza_ah64_controls\scripting\add_remt.sqf";}];

Cheers,

Mud

I think I've got it sorted. Just need some further testing and I'll post the results here.

Edit: I still haven't tested it with multiple people in multiplayer, but it worked with two people at least:

First problem: You lose your laser designator or batteries on respawn, revive.

Second: You lose the ability to designate for the AH-64 on respawn.

Solution:

make 2 sqf files in your mission directory (ex: laser_init.sqf, laser_respawn.sqf)

laset_init.sqf contents - code as posted by Nodunit or Franze:

_unit = _this select 0;

while{alive _unit} do
{
_laserpoint = lasertarget _unit;
if(!(isnull _laserpoint) && !(_laserpoint in fza_ah64_desiglist)) then
{
fza_ah64_desiglist = fza_ah64_desiglist + [_laserpoint];
publicvariable "fza_ah64_desiglist";
};
if(isnull _laserpoint) then
{
fza_ah64_desiglist = fza_ah64_desiglist - [_laserpoint];
};
sleep 1;
};

laset_respawn.sqf contents:

_unit = _this select 0;

_unit addWeapon "Laserdesignator";
_unit addmagazine "Laserbatteries";
sleep 2;

while{alive _unit} do
{
_laserpoint = lasertarget _unit;
if(!(isnull _laserpoint) && !(_laserpoint in fza_ah64_desiglist)) then
{
fza_ah64_desiglist = fza_ah64_desiglist + [_laserpoint];
};
if(isnull _laserpoint) then
{
};
sleep 1;
};

Add to the init box of the unit(s) you want to function as JTAC:

this addWeapon "Laserdesignator";
this addmagazine "Laserbatteries";
this addMPEventHandler ["MPrespawn", {Null = _this execVM "laser_respawn.sqf";}];
laserscript = [this] execvm "laser_init.sqf";

If I get a chance today to test it further, I'll post the results.

Mud

Edit 2: Was working fine yesterday in coop game.

Edited by Mud
Additional info

Anyone else having problems with getting the Apache to start? I have started it and flown before with no problems at all. First I thought it was my new HOTAS Warthog but now when trying without it cabled in I get the same issue. My old X45 worked without a problem :(

When releasing the rotor-lock the heli stops/Enginge/ APU shuts down after a few seconds... I armed it and refuled it to be sure as well. Im I missing something? I do the exact same procedure as before and lite all tourtorials on the internet... :( Starting to feel stupit! haha

My Coop pilot/ friend has no problem what so ever and were doing exactly the same thing / procedure...

Help Pleease! :butbut: :)

Anyone think its related to the Warthog HOTAS? Other experiences?

Hey guys, I wonder if anyone knows, it would be a great help... I would like to use the function : this animateDoor ["door_1",1]; in order to spawn the AH-64D with all doors opened on my mission. What are the concerned items that needs to appear in that function ? I didn't manage to find out, even with the splendid config viewer.

Anyone else having problems with getting the Apache to start? I have started it and flown before with no problems at all. First I thought it was my new HOTAS Warthog but now when trying without it cabled in I get the same issue. My old X45 worked without a problem

When releasing the rotor-lock the heli stops/Enginge/ APU shuts down after a few seconds... I armed it and refuled it to be sure as well. Im I missing something? I do the exact same procedure as before and lite all tourtorials on the internet... Starting to feel stupit! haha

My Coop pilot/ friend has no problem what so ever and were doing exactly the same thing / procedure...

Help Pleease!

Anyone think its related to the Warthog HOTAS? Other experiences?

Not sure but try giving it some throttle right after you turn off the rotor lock. If that still doesn't work then try, after you do all the start procedure (up to disable rotor lock) then go to the action menu and activate "engine on" I think I noticed some bug where even doing all the start up procedures it wouldn't start until I also activated "engine on"

Not sure but try giving it some throttle right after you turn off the rotor lock. If that still doesn't work then try, after you do all the start procedure (up to disable rotor lock) then go to the action menu and activate "engine on" I think I noticed some bug where even doing all the start up procedures it wouldn't start until I also activated "engine on"

Correct, "engine on" is not currently part of the start up sequence so it doesn't account for it.

Heyy do you think for future updates you can focus on compatibility with DUWS I tweaked DUWS so I can fly the Longbow on it and let me tell you it is crazy and something you will want to try. I know the Longbow is in an early state for Arma 3 but was hoping you could use DUWS as a testing ground in the future. One thing I noticed is after I used the "vehicle refit" (sets _mounted_veh setDamage 0; _mounted_veh setFuel 1; _mounted_veh setVehicleAmmoDef 1; I wasn't able to use the WAS to switch weapons, but I got around by using the regular keybind for switching weapons (F key). Also another time I got shot down, later I got to base and bought another Longbow, everything started up fine but I wasn't able to start the IHADSS. But otherwise saving the game was working good. Let me know if you need a tester for any new versions heheheheh I just love this mod so much I don't see why BIS doesn't fund it, I can't stand flying fake arcade aircraft when I could be flying realistic masterpieces.

Edited by Emton

Hey guys, I wonder if anyone knows, it would be a great help... I would like to use the function : this animateDoor ["door_1",1]; in order to spawn the AH-64D with all doors opened on my mission. What are the concerned items that needs to appear in that function ? I didn't manage to find out, even with the splendid config viewer.

For those who are interested, I found out my answer into the config file.

this animate ["pdoor",1]; this animate ["gdoor",1];

One of my top favorite vehicle mods for ArmA 3. I did some testing in multiplayer with only one other person (Gunner) and found some bugs that you may already be aware of, but I'm just going to help confirm them. Maybe some of them are just errors on our part:

1. Cursor/little X used to click on buttons tends to become offset or disappear; seems to be related to IHADS mode or IHADS toggle, but couldn't pinpoint the cause. Was able to move the cursor while holding the ALT/freelook key without steering the helicopter. This may be dominantly an issue only for people who fly with mouse and keyboard, AND try to click buttons with the mouse and keyboard, as opposed to using a HOTAS.

2. Radar was unable to pickup any armored ground targets, regardless of range or altitude (even within 300 meters at low altitudes). I'm certain I was using the correct FCR, but maybe there's a setting I neglected for it to function properly?

3. Apache seems very vulnerable to .50 cal rounds and even short flak cannon bursts. The AAA fire I can understand, but is the armor of Apache's really that weak against a .50? Example would be taking fire from the coaxial gun of a tank, from around 500 meters or so.

4. After performing a full startup procedure, my gunner reported that his MFDs were totally black and not working. I had to restart the mission for it to be fixed. Can't remember if the gunner got in before the startup, during the process, or afterwards, but I have a feeling if the gunner is in the Apache too soon or too late, this can occur.

5. NAV screen on any ArmA 2 or 3 map does not display own helicopter's position (I know this is known, just confirming that I tried on a bunch of maps anyway)

6. Engine sound, which plays during startup, ends a little abruptly.

Performance was good. The mission we tested it in was a simple and basic target practice mission with live active targets; no scripting involved. There was also no desync issues at any point. Aside from the FCR not working at all and the ownship icon not working in the NAV screen, everything went well. Do you have plans to fix the NAV screen/FCR issues any time soon?

Thanks and hope this helped any bit at all!

One of my top favorite vehicle mods for ArmA 3. I did some testing in multiplayer with only one other person (Gunner) and found some bugs that you may already be aware of, but I'm just going to help confirm them. Maybe some of them are just errors on our part:

1. Cursor/little X used to click on buttons tends to become offset or disappear; seems to be related to IHADS mode or IHADS toggle, but couldn't pinpoint the cause. Was able to move the cursor while holding the ALT/freelook key without steering the helicopter. This may be dominantly an issue only for people who fly with mouse and keyboard, AND try to click buttons with the mouse and keyboard, as opposed to using a HOTAS.

2. Radar was unable to pickup any armored ground targets, regardless of range or altitude (even within 300 meters at low altitudes). I'm certain I was using the correct FCR, but maybe there's a setting I neglected for it to function properly?

3. Apache seems very vulnerable to .50 cal rounds and even short flak cannon bursts. The AAA fire I can understand, but is the armor of Apache's really that weak against a .50? Example would be taking fire from the coaxial gun of a tank, from around 500 meters or so.

4. After performing a full startup procedure, my gunner reported that his MFDs were totally black and not working. I had to restart the mission for it to be fixed. Can't remember if the gunner got in before the startup, during the process, or afterwards, but I have a feeling if the gunner is in the Apache too soon or too late, this can occur.

5. NAV screen on any ArmA 2 or 3 map does not display own helicopter's position (I know this is known, just confirming that I tried on a bunch of maps anyway)

Performance was good. The mission we tested it in was a simple and basic target practice mission with live active targets; no scripting involved. There was also no desync issues at any point. Aside from the FCR not working at all and the ownship icon not working in the NAV screen, everything went well. Do you have plans to fix the NAV screen/FCR issues any time soon?

Agree on most of the things, especially the 6. however concerning the 2. did you use PFZ ? Haven't encountered any lock problem. Check your binds aswell, there are multiple "cycle targets" button in Arma 3, which can lead to confusion. The bug that I've encountered today was the IHADSS that stopped working in midflight (shut down by itself and couldn't reboot it) and then the tiny green cross vanished. Had to land, cut everything, jump out and get back in to get everything working again.

1: for mouse and keyboard users your other option is to use the freelook function, you dont need to hold alt to move the cursor but if the mouse is bound to steer the helo then it will still do so, no other way around it.

2: difficult to say for certain, if you run into this again could you provide a screenshot as well? That particular bit has so many options and I can't tell you how many times its come down to someone skipping a step or having something misconfigured.

3: Depends on where you shoot it really, the most armored part of any attack helicopter is the canopy, rotors, and cockpit bucket. Some may have extra armor around the fuel tank but generallly speaking you're just looking at an aluminum skin with some framework inside and a bunch of components, too much armor and the thing wont fly. Heck even enough small arms fire can be dangerous (though its more about making you combat ineffective as opposed to literally destroying)

4 is...curious, was it the same when they got out and back in as well?

5: The TSD does not currently (officially) display maps, there are workarounds but they go over the ownship icon (which is always located in the center btw). It's another thing on our big list of things to fix.

6: The engine sound yes that is true I can't recall exactly how Franze got it to work but as far as I know its not a source that can continuously loop, it was doable in TKOH but arma 3 seems to lack that option, I don't know if this CAN be fixed.

Hey Nodunit,

Will you rework on the gun and missile area of effect damage ? They are way too low, it appears that if you don't hit straight on the badguys, they are just running around, whenever gun or missile (any kind) is used. It happens also when sitting in as a pilot (via dedicated server), because the slight offset (I believe) of any FCR/G targets, the missile lands a bit further which sometimes destroy the vehicle but not instantly (basically wheels missing) and tiny explosion. Plus, I don't know if its a bug or else but, is it normal that you are able to lock targets by self or remote laser with TADS/HMD SIGHT & ACQ using Hellfire 114L RF ? Tested on solo as a gunner with AI pilot.

Hey Nodunit,

Will you rework on the gun and missile area of effect damage ? They are way too low, it appears that if you don't hit straight on the badguys, they are just running around, whenever gun or missile (any kind) is used. It happens also when sitting in as a pilot (via dedicated server), because the slight offset (I believe) of any FCR/G targets, the missile lands a bit further which sometimes destroy the vehicle but not instantly (basically wheels missing) and tiny explosion. Plus, I don't know if its a bug or else but, is it normal that you are able to lock targets by self or remote laser with TADS/HMD SIGHT & ACQ using Hellfire 114L RF ? Tested on solo as a gunner with AI pilot.

At this point the best I can say is wait and see.

And I don't think that is supposed to happen since the RF uses milimeter wave seeker vs laser seeker, certain your radar wasn't on during the lock?

It could also be possible that the weapon system says you can lock but the missile itself may ignore it because it doesn't interface properly, did you fire it as well?

At this point the best I can say is wait and see.

And I don't think that is supposed to happen since the RF uses milimeter wave seeker vs laser seeker, certain your radar wasn't on during the lock?

It could also be possible that the weapon system says you can lock but the missile itself may ignore it because it doesn't interface properly, did you fire it as well?

Absolutely sure, I was really surprised aswell ! Had spawn an empty default AH64D, with one AI bot and myself. I order the bot to get in and I went for gunner, RF 114-L hellfire checked. Made him take off w/radar off and laser on. Switched to TADS/HMD as SIGHT, whatever on the ACQ, you will get LOS on the laser while into LOAL-DIR firing mode if you're not into the minimum range. Firing the 114-L will act exactly as a laser K,M,N,A which will follow your laser designation.

Tested on editor.

The AGM-114L does not need the FCR if being used in any LOAL mode. The FCR simply acts as a sensor system to add target data for the weapons. If you can see the target with another sensor, you can use LOAL mode with AGM-114Ls to hit the target; however, accuracy will be impaired. This is why the NR version can carry 114Ls; it simply has to launch the missiles in LOAL mode using target data acquired via TADS or from other data sources.

All: I haven't been ignoring all these bug reports, I've been trying to solve what I consider to be some of the more pressing issues. Updates will likely be slow as we go through spring through summer.

The AGM-114L does not need the FCR if being used in any LOAL mode. The FCR simply acts as a sensor system to add target data for the weapons. If you can see the target with another sensor, you can use LOAL mode with AGM-114Ls to hit the target; however, accuracy will be impaired. This is why the NR version can carry 114Ls; it simply has to launch the missiles in LOAL mode using target data acquired via TADS or from other data sources.

All: I haven't been ignoring all these bug reports, I've been trying to solve what I consider to be some of the more pressing issues. Updates will likely be slow as we go through spring through summer.

I didn't mention that there was NO target at all spawned on the map which was the desert part of Zargabad. The LOS was only acquired on the aircraft's laser in the middle of nowhere. :) Thanks again for your work guys, I've been introducing the AH-64D for the past weeks to many huge ArmA 3 milsim teams and some of them are really interested into this bird and are planing to give it a try. More and more people are getting involved into this wonderful bird.