franze

AH-64D Apache Longbow for ArmA2 by Nodunit and Franze

I have a TKOH version but it didn't get fully implemented like I hoped. When we get the latest round of updates ready (primarily the skin), then perhaps I'll release the TKOH version we were working on as well. If there's enough interest then I could see some branching out into TKOH, especially since ArmA3's development version is all over the place (latest dev update borked modeltoworldvisual).

I have a TKOH version but it didn't get fully implemented like I hoped. When we get the latest round of updates ready (primarily the skin), then perhaps I'll release the TKOH version we were working on as well. If there's enough interest then I could see some branching out into TKOH, especially since ArmA3's development version is all over the place (latest dev update borked modeltoworldvisual).

I can speak mostly for myself, but I still have TKOH installed, as some of our squad members. I assume TKOH version has RotorLib enabled? If you'll release TKOH version we will fly the Apache for sure. :)

I posted an AAR of the first Tarnished Gold campaign mission: HERE!

* Caution - campaign spoilers in the AAR!

http://www.mudspike.com/ARMA/01GOLD00.jpg (150 kB)

Looking forward to the rest of the campaign. (And so is Boeing - they are going to have to replace a LOT of airframes!) <g>

BeachAV8R

Edited by BeachAV8R

Work continues but slowly. We've played around with the development version of ArmA3 with our TKOH upgrades and may do a A3 development version release in the next couple of months. It has to be the development version because of the new modeltoworldvisual commands which we are dependent on for interaction and other functions.

God bless you bro, you rock !

Second AAR of the Tarnished Gold campaign mission: HERE!

* Caution - campaign spoilers!

BeachAV8R

Edited by BeachAV8R

hey, is it somehow possible to change the key that klicks the buttons in the cockpit from user action 20 to another button?

because user action 20 is used from a other mod. that we use.

Which other mod? Currently we do not support any other mods outside of the base game.

v1.32 has been released.

Changes:

- Modified data transfer mechanics.

- Fixed bug with PNVS and FLIR lenses on the model.

- Fixed multiplayer bugs with scripting not initializing.

- Added CPG control options when AI is piloting.

- Modified model UV coordinates.

- Fixed bug with multiplayer missile avoidance.

Can you elaborate on what the part I bolded is about? Are you saying the CP/G can now more directly control the helo?

BeachAV8R

Not directly, but you can now get some finesse when the AI is piloting; for example, telling the pilot to fly higher or lower while hovering is possible. You can tell him to fly forward, back, left, right, yaw, and up and down. It's all tied to the default movement controls (WASD for forward/back, left/right; XC for yaw left/right; QZ for up/down). It's not perfect at the moment and it's not intended to replace the 'go here' command, but it will work if you need him to move around for a better shot.

Hello, i need help to get the laser designator working correctly. is it possible you add an option in the mouse menu for gunner to enable/disable laser designator (automatically displaying the range when enabled)

Laser designator ON

Laser designator OFF.

currently the menu system is very confusing, the only thing the gunner really needs is a quick way to enable the laser designator to display the target range, TOF, and guide laser guided missiles.

- Isn't the 30mm cannon supposed to get his zeroing automatically adjusted, on the fly, according to the tads range finder ? the current system use a 100m adjustement scale. i don't think it's how is adjusted the real cannon.

- The Helicopter seems to have a really too fast spinning rotation rate. like if the helicopter was weighting 500lbs only.

Edited by cychou

Is campaign mission "Panic Attack" even possible to beat? I've been trying for two days and I can't.. (suggestions?)

BeachAV8R

Hello, i need help to get the laser designator working correctly. is it possible you add an option in the mouse menu for gunner to enable/disable laser designator (automatically displaying the range when enabled)

Laser designator ON

Laser designator OFF.

currently the menu system is very confusing, the only thing the gunner really needs is a quick way to enable the laser designator to display the target range, TOF, and guide laser guided missiles.

- Isn't the 30mm cannon supposed to get his zeroing automatically adjusted, on the fly, according to the tads range finder ? the current system use a 100m adjustement scale. i don't think it's how is adjusted the real cannon.

- The Helicopter seems to have a really too fast spinning rotation rate. like if the helicopter was weighting 500lbs only.

You made it the video private, can't see it.

The ranging system works with both manual and auto ranging, we just didn't have the time to implement it.

The spin is a tradeoff of the aircraft agility, unfortunately unlike rotorlib there are is no drag or more specific input one can add to control the way in which the aircraft handles.

Arma's helicopters were always a balancing act but you always had to trade response time for "weighted" behaviour, this late in development it probably won't change with focus shifted elsewhere and time constraints being at their max.

Laser designator ON

Laser designator OFF.

I need to change the laser designator function for the gunner so that it is always allowed on for him. Presently, the action menu options for the laser only show up when the WPN page is up.

The cannon has HMD and AUTO modes which attempt to properly track and zero the weapon, but for the gunner these only work when in heads down (due to some other issues present in the base game). The default mode has it slaved to TADS which functions identical to turrets in the game, so it can be manually zeroed for the range.

Handling was covered by Nodunit above.

Is campaign mission "Panic Attack" even possible to beat? I've been trying for two days and I can't.. (suggestions?)

BeachAV8R

The campaign strategy guide has some hints in it here, but I'll describe the general strategy I use below.

There's no way to really beat Gryphon to the crash site - he'll haul ass and be there before you are. The best you can hope for is to floor it and try to take out the Tunguska to the west, which is his main threat. Before you gain a visual on the 2S6, kick on your RF jammer, select your HELLFIREs and as soon as you can get a lock, let him have one. He will likely be paying attention to Gryphon, so you should have a clear shot on him. Once he's down, keep your speed up going south and turn on your IR jammer because there are many MANPADS in the area; you make your way south and do a quick turn around to handle the armored threats - Gryphon might take out one or two, but the T-72 will likely need a HELLFIRE to take out. The larger threats are the BRDM and the BMP to the southeast of the town due to their rapid fire guns - take them out with cannon or rockets, going for disable shots rather than kill shots; you can kill them for sure later. The T-72 can be taken care of with rockets or cannon but I recommend putting a missile into him.

Once the armored threats are neutralized, you'll have to clear out the infantry. By now your jammers are probably overheating and cooling down so you'll need to be quick to take out the MANPADS. You can use PNVS and gun HMD mode to try and pinpoint them but watch out for the friendly squad on the ground. You're usually OK with letting a few flechettes loose into the western forest where most of the infantry are at. Once the MANPADS are taken care of, you can call in Kestrel to evac the squad on the ground. Keep mopping up the infantry until Kestrel gets away but beware of approaching armor from the west. Use your remaining missiles to slow them down and when Kestrel is finally clear, turn south and follow him to the airfield.

ok The video should now be public.

also, here is the propper crosshair Style when the laser designator is turned ON :

Edited by cychou

The campaign strategy guide has some hints in it here, but I'll describe the general strategy I use below.

Thanks for the tips - I've been trying to get past this mission for two days now.. My thoughts:

It's a pretty frustrating mission to try to get a handle on. I've probably played it 50 times (no exaggeration) in the past two days and I get incrementally closer to finishing it..and almost had it beat tonight, but it is really, really, really hard. I'd say it is the hardest mission I've ever tried to accomplish in 25+ years of flight simming. I actually managed to get to the point where the helo rescued the troops..but instead of exiting the area he exited, then came back, and got shot down. Before I could reload a save it went back to revert the mission and I had to start from scratch. If I had to guess, I'd bet most people give up on the campaign by the time they reach this mission because they are just very, very difficult in concert with learning a new aircraft within the limitations of Arma 2. I've loved every mission up to this one..but this one is a bit too Air Quake for me (just being honest). I'll keep plugging away at it though..at the risk of putting my fist through my monitor.. <g> I'm sure the feeling of accomplishment when I finally get it will be worth it..

BeachAV8R

Thanks for the tips - I've been trying to get past this mission for two days now.. My thoughts:

It's a pretty frustrating mission to try to get a handle on. I've probably played it 50 times (no exaggeration) in the past two days and I get incrementally closer to finishing it..and almost had it beat tonight, but it is really, really, really hard. I'd say it is the hardest mission I've ever tried to accomplish in 25+ years of flight simming. I actually managed to get to the point where the helo rescued the troops..but instead of exiting the area he exited, then came back, and got shot down. Before I could reload a save it went back to revert the mission and I had to start from scratch. If I had to guess, I'd bet most people give up on the campaign by the time they reach this mission because they are just very, very difficult in concert with learning a new aircraft within the limitations of Arma 2. I've loved every mission up to this one..but this one is a bit too Air Quake for me (just being honest). I'll keep plugging away at it though..at the risk of putting my fist through my monitor.. <g> I'm sure the feeling of accomplishment when I finally get it will be worth it..

BeachAV8R

Sorry to hear it's giving you so many problems. When building the campaign, I had wanted to opt for a LB2 style approach, but the RV engine doesn't tend to work well with a large scale campaign like that (and the limitations of the map size precluded a number of other scenarios). This led to going for a Comanche 3/Gold style campaign which is a lot more action paced. Unfortunately some things about the AI tend to be ridiculous... hence you get things like the AI circling around and coming back when they shouldn't, or hovering in place when they need to get a move on.

Another strategy that might help is to try and kill every last hostile on the ground before calling Kestrel as this will reduce his chances of going all Rambo and trying to take on enemies by himself. There are also friendly vehicles in the area moving from the east, but you have to take out the ChDKZ vehicles before they have a chance to engage the friendlies (which consist of light vehicles like BRDMs and UAZs).

LOL..no worries. It's probably me screwing it up.. <g> I'm not all that familiar with Arma 2 commands, so that is half the battle. I'm going to keep at it though.. I was elated when I almost won it (I should have saved and then gone into the savegames directory and backed that up..)

I'm gonna get it.. <g>

BeachAV8R

I think the 1.63 update has changed some things though because I replayed it again this evening.

The first time, the ground crew was killed by the ChDKZ infantry, which is a first. In all my testing, you had to wait around a LONG time for that to happen. The second time, Kestrel took forever to get the stranded ground troops, to the point where the T-90s were only 1800m away (I popped two with HELLFIREs then put all my flechettes into the clustered convoy to stall them at that point).

So far it still seems the best strategy is to hustle out there, pop the 2S6 with a HELLFIRE, put some gunfire into the BMP and BRDM, cycle around and give the T72 a missile shot to disable it, then proceed to put gunfire into as much infantry in the open, with a couple flechette rockets into the center of mass in the forest. I took out everything in the immediate area before I called in Kestrel and then played the waiting game before the T-90s started rolling down from the west.

Yeah..

Yeah, I was wondering if an update had changed something..because I've hit that ridgeline north of the crash site and smacked the 2S6 immediately, then pushed over toward the BMP and BRDM and just as I finish with them I get the message that the helo crew has been killed.. Frustratingly fast! But it isn't always that way.. I get the sense that if you stay in the area there spraying and praying that it keeps the gunners attention on you instead of the helo crew.. But I take damage too fast to allow time for the rescue helo to come in.. I might try to see if I can dumb down my difficulty setting to see if I can get past this mission.. Like I said, at one point earlier this evening I actually managed to get the troops on the helo..so it CAN be done.. I just gotta hit that right formula again!

Thanks for taking a look at it..

also, here is the propper crosshair Style when the laser designator is turned ON :

Oh yeah the X, that could probably be added easily enough.

In truth I'd like to have a more authentic TADS optic but I've been told that there is a lot of scripting involved to do that and right now we don't have the time to work on too much.

Success!

Funny how you can play a mission 50 times. (Really, that's not a lie..I'll bet I reloaded from default and saved missions at least 50 times yesterday and the day before), but tonight I fired up Panic Attack and it only took me four tries to beat it! Woot..I was so excited when the Mi-8 landed and the troops got on board. A couple factors (as Franze alluded to) helped. First, I waited until just prior to popping over the ridge to activate my jammers - I think I was putting mine on way too early and they were overheating and becoming ineffective. I was always popping that S26 immediately after popping up over the ridge. Then I found by turning 30 degrees or so to the left and flying across the valley I could get two quick snap shots off at the BMP and BRDM. At that point, I called for the rescue helo, knowing I'd be whipping back around to send my final missile at the T-72. I hit the T-72, but I don't think I killed it. I then flew back over to the north side of the valley and just prayed and sprayed with my 30mm canon and watched the Mi-8 swoop in and load up. I think staying in the area and drawing fire is the key to this mission - and getting lucky by not getting shot down by infantry (I think there are some MANPADS? Do they reload or are they one shot and done?). Anyway, so very relieved to have this mission finished..LOL..I can't remember a mission that stumped me so badly!

Now on to the next one (after I post up an AAR on this one..) Thanks Franze and Nodunit for your patience and tips.. <S>

BeachAV8R

Now I'm kinda dreading what will happen to you when you run into the ones that I consider tough. :o

MANPADS only have one shot, after that they've got to hide if they miss.

Now I'm kinda dreading what will happen to you when you run into the ones that I consider tough. :o

Gulp...

MANPADS only have one shot, after that they've got to hide if they miss.

That's good to know!

Here is the AAR from the campaign (caution - spoilers!): Mission 03 - Panic Attack

BeachAV8R

I wanted to add that 1.63 seems to make some units more aggressive and willing to use their weapons against aircraft, which ups the difficulty a bit. The BMPs for example will use their 30mm guns against aircraft now (in the past they wouldn't).