franze

AH-64D Apache Longbow for ArmA2 by Nodunit and Franze

Can't do anything about it. Related to physX bugs.

Upon further consideration, I am pulling support for the ArmA3 controls file. I am tired of trying to support a half-baked implementation for ArmA3 and then seeing a ton of issues that I can't do anything about. I can't remove download links from the various mirrors out there but I will no longer be updating the A3 controls file.

Edited by Franze

thestrawthatbrokethecamelsback.gif

There is no way to get the aircraft fully functional in A3 as it was in A2 at this time.

From what I've been told we're basicly up shit creek for a while...we can have proper physX at the expense of interaction and other position specific things going haywire such as debris, smoke, weapon placement (did you like that fully dynamic arming? not with physX). Without physX we have all of those except now there is a odd COG and other wonky effects like the skating. And then on top of that there is the weapon systems issue...

I'll still offer the model up to any legit mods that want to use it and Shadow's RWCO mod is safe but we specifically won't be focusing on A3, that means no function or material updates...you are however authorized to open the file and modify the materials to better suit A3 if you so desire.

That said I've gotten some recent inspiration to get back to reworking the textures so A2 is still planned for updates and I'm HOPING we can still do some multi national releases but I don't want to make any promises.

Edited by NodUnit

Thanks for your answers guys, I wish BIS will do something about it... I hope they are aware than skilled community developpers made a descent work in terms of realism. They should look deeper in your work. Anyways, A3 fans (like myself) will continue supporting your work, because even if there are still some issues with the AH64D on A3, it is still the best addon so far, so I will continue using your addon. I managed to find some workaround with my dedicated gunner on dedicated server and we are doing great. You guys made the #1 addon aircraft on Arma and we won't give it up !

Are there bug reports in the BIS tracker related to the PhysX and turret animation problems that we can go and vote on? I've been searching and couldn't find any. If you could get a couple of good bug reports typed up and tell people to vote on them every time they ask about ArmA3 support, then there might be a chance that BIS would get it sorted.

Beyond that, what are your thoughts on the upcoming Helicopter DLC and the limited RotorLib implementation they've mentioned? Is there a glimmer of hope in there? (can you tell I'm desperate? ;))

Edited by 16AABuus

Yes, it is in the same class of issues that NouberNou reported here: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=16115

I don't expect much from the Helicopter DLC. ArmA3 was originally going to have the TKOH FM for helicopters available and it didn't ship with it, so I am skeptical that the DLC will contain what we hope it to.

Hello , Franze finally I finded you , It's about a little problem about your Apache chooper,I replied to Nodunit on Armaholic forums and he told me to contact you,Can you take a look at it? Link is here :

---------- Post added at 02:08 ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 ----------

http://www.armaholic.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=24074&d=30 #41 and below..

Thinks a lot. :p

Helicopter handling is controlled through balance of the geometry LOD in the model files, not scripting. There are no config or scripting controls for aircraft handling. To change handling you would have to rebalance the geometry LOD.

Helicopter handling is controlled through balance of the geometry LOD in the model files, not scripting. There are no config or scripting controls for aircraft handling. To change handling you would have to rebalance the geometry LOD.

Geometry LOD?oh.. that means I can do nothing about it?because I do not have the source model files..:(,can you fix it?

Edited by Nick_0

Are you asking for A2 or A3? For A2 its not very likely, its not quite that simple I'm afraid...for A3 theres no chance because things are behaving in ways they shouldn't from the start, relocating the center of gravity for example.

Despite it all being set up the same as Arma 2 with the majority of weight in between the main rotor and cockpit (where all the armor and weapons are not too far behind) A3 treats the center as though it sits directly behind the main rotor..the literal center of the model I guess.

Are you asking for A2 or A3? For A2 its not very likely, its not quite that simple I'm afraid...for A3 theres no chance because things are behaving in ways they shouldn't from the start, relocating the center of gravity for example.

Despite it all being set up the same as Arma 2 with the majority of weight in between the main rotor and cockpit (where all the armor and weapons are not too far behind) A3 treats the center as though it sits directly behind the main rotor..the literal center of the model I guess.

Of course I mean A2 not A3,currently I just want it handing like the Original A2 Apache coptor's sensitivity,btw I use a mouse and keyboard to hand it,it's not just to me I saw many people are awaitting...:p

Edited by Nick_0

I doubt the helicopter will ever handle like the BI apache, that thing flew too much like a brick.

First off - this mod is awesome.

I'm working my way through the systems - just spent 30 minutes flipping back and forth to the user guide getting my ARMA2 keys set up right and trying to get my HOTAS Warthog mapped.

Quick question that I tried to find an answer to by searching online and in the manual. Is there a keyboard shortcut to turn the IHADDS ON/OFF rapidly? I know you can do it through the mouse scrolling menu, but for purposes of external screenshots, it would be nice to have a faster option to turn the IHADDS off in the external view. (Or is there a way to never have the IHADDS on in the external view and only when you are in the cockpit?).

Having a LOT of fun exploring this.

Regards,

BeachAV8R

I doubt the helicopter will ever handle like the BI apache, that thing flew too much like a brick.

aha...that's it,well, the real helicopter is just flew like a brike isn't it?I mean when I flying helicopter in Microsoft FS I got that feeling...:cool:

aha...that's it,well, the real helicopter is just flew like a brike isn't it?I mean when I flying helicopter in Microsoft FS I got that feeling...:cool:

Flight sims generally have aerodynamic side effects such as drag and so on modelled, Arma 2 does not. It winds up coming down to case of you can have something that is highly responsive but also requires a very steady hand or you can have something that doesn't require as steady a hand but is not as responsive. Nap of earth flight for example, with this bird a quick twist of the wrist will alter your course whereas the default heli you have to drag the mouse or hold the joystick for a while.

It also doesn't really have much threat in terms of screwing up, if you over control the default apache you don't have to worry about much unless you flip it, the way this is set up encourages you to be careful and steady because you can over control and it will be troublesome. The thing about real helicopters is that its not about "can it do this" as much as "is it safe to do this" because of various reasons, whereas in Arma a lot of these reasons aren't modelled so you wind up being able to do some things you shouldn't buuut on the other hand to make it more like that via flight model would also mean sacrificing some of that responsiveness.

There is also the problem that mass distribution is apparently more of a magic trick than exact science..you'd think that putting more weight in X than Y should make ? happen but that doesn't seem to be the case.

First off - this mod is awesome.

I'm working my way through the systems - just spent 30 minutes flipping back and forth to the user guide getting my ARMA2 keys set up right and trying to get my HOTAS Warthog mapped.

Quick question that I tried to find an answer to by searching online and in the manual. Is there a keyboard shortcut to turn the IHADDS ON/OFF rapidly? I know you can do it through the mouse scrolling menu, but for purposes of external screenshots, it would be nice to have a faster option to turn the IHADDS off in the external view. (Or is there a way to never have the IHADDS on in the external view and only when you are in the cockpit?).

Having a LOT of fun exploring this.

Regards,

BeachAV8R

We didn't bind the IHADSS toggle to a hot key due to the limited number of keys available for use. I tried to restrict usage of keys to combat critical functions and leave the remainder for future functions (given our plans at the time).

Oh that is pretty neat, did you come from the flight sim community over to Arma? It's always neat to hear personal recounts of how people experience the misssions the variety of reactions there is..

Will be keeping an eye on your diary :) The radiation bit made me giggle.

About the PNVS, it's there to highlight hot objects through thermals, unfortunate Arma's thermals are kinda basic in that outside of certain times and weather it is difficult to distinguish targets.

Normally it would be in the HDU but A2 has no way to project the image.

bFranze wasable to get this to work with Take on helicopters however, even better able to combine thermals with NVG or DVO so that we can see the environment as we should but also see the hot spots on thermal.

Edited by NodUnit

PNVS can be linked to TrackIR or similar head tracking device, thus enabling you to move your head and get a thermal viewpoint independent of where the aircraft is facing. Barring that, it is linked to the numpad view keys for elevation and azimuth and can be used to aim the rockets and guns. You will find it more useful in the combat missions where it is useful to pick out infantry in cover.

Oh that is pretty neat, did you come from the flight sim community over to Arma? It's always neat to hear personal recounts of how people experience the misssions the variety of reactions there is..

Will be keeping an eye on your diary :) The radiation bit made me giggle.

Yes, I'm a dedicated flight sim fanatic (and real life air ambulance pilot), so the appeal of the AH-64 is pretty strong.

Quick question - I was running the defensive systems tutorial tonight and everything was working well until I got to the engine fire portion. Basically the text says something to the effect of - now we'll take a look at engine fires. The left engine catches on fire but there is no more guidance after that. When I press the Engine #1 pushbutton - I think that is supposed to shut the engine down (?) but it doesn't (the torque and all stay the same). The green RDY light illuminates, but when I push the firebottle DISCH button it turns green but the fire never goes out. I'm just a bit stuck on how to get through this last part of the mission.. Am I doing something wrong? Upon landing back at the airport with the fire still burning, I'm not allowed to exit the aircraft either... Thanks for any suggestions you can give me..

fire1.jpg

BeachAV8R

If the primary bottle doesn't put out the fire, you can use the reserve bottle, or as a last ditch effort you can land and turn off the engines.

If the primary bottle doesn't put out the fire, you can use the reserve bottle, or as a last ditch effort you can land and turn off the engines.

Hmm, yeah, I tried firing both bottles and then I landed at the base but there was no option available to exit the aircraft. I figured the mission was stuck on the point where the fire is supposed to be extinguished so it wouldn't let me progress.

I love the mod (as you can tell from my "Apache Diary")... If there was one feature request I'd make would be the ability to use the CP/G's optical relay tube from the pilot's seat so that it would be possible to get this targeting view:

ORT2.jpg

I love using the gunner's seat, but as I'm sure you all know..the AI pilot leaves a lot to be desired, so it would be ideal to be able to operate both. In fact, I would love the option to have the ORT view replace the PNVS view for the pilot even though it wouldn't really be realistic. I tried using the GDT Mod to enable the optics view, but it doesn't work with this Apache..

This helo is so much fun though. Definitely love the scoot and shoot aspect of flying helos over fast jets.. Very nice job.

BeachAV8R

I don't think we can do that with the way the game handles the various LOD's and viewpoints, there is also the problem that as a pilot if you did have the co pilots optic you'd still run into the problem of controlling both the helo and gun at the same time.

Best that could be done for the pilot is most likely to have a toggle between FLIR and something like the CPG.

Hmm, yeah, I tried firing both bottles and then I landed at the base but there was no option available to exit the aircraft. I figured the mission was stuck on the point where the fire is supposed to be extinguished so it wouldn't let me progress.

I love the mod (as you can tell from my "Apache Diary")... If there was one feature request I'd make would be the ability to use the CP/G's optical relay tube from the pilot's seat so that it would be possible to get this targeting view:

http://www.mudspike.com/ARMA/ORT2.jpg

I love using the gunner's seat, but as I'm sure you all know..the AI pilot leaves a lot to be desired, so it would be ideal to be able to operate both. In fact, I would love the option to have the ORT view replace the PNVS view for the pilot even though it wouldn't really be realistic. I tried using the GDT Mod to enable the optics view, but it doesn't work with this Apache..

This helo is so much fun though. Definitely love the scoot and shoot aspect of flying helos over fast jets.. Very nice job.

BeachAV8R

I didn't plan out the training missions in the best way; unfortunately, when you're the scripter you tend to forget that some people may need more guidance than what you think is enough. Usually both fire bottles are sufficient to put out fires, it's only very rarely that they fail to do so! The training campaign is also optional and doesn't have to be played in sequence either.

Essentially, the pilot and gunner are restricted to one 'optic' viewpoint; that is, they can't toggle between TADS or PNVS respectively. The game does have a camera function but the problem then becomes when you use a scripted camera, you lose all control. This is unfortunate as it prevents us from doing fun things like fly by cameras, missile cameras, target cameras, etc. The PiP capability of TKOH and ArmA3 help somewhat but they are still imperfect solutions.

That being said, being able to use both seats at one time wasn't something we experimented a lot with. We only extensively tested with two crew integration; a huge part of this was making sure that everything would function properly in a multiplayer environment, which is finiky in the ArmA/FP series. What ended up being released was not nearly the amount we had planned to release.

Edited by Franze