Sign in to follow this  
Guba

What is your preferences benchmark score?

Hi,

I recently posted a SOS message to try and solve my underperformance problem with OFPR and despite of the thankful efforts of some of you to help me I still haven't been abble to solve the problem. The thing is I need to know what benchmark score (in the preferences program) I should have for my system (AMD Athlon 2000XP+, 512Mb DDR, AsusA7M266, Geforce3) so it would be very usefull if u could only take a few minutes to post your benchmark score and a few of your systems specs so I can realise more or less what score I should try to go for.

Once again, thx for your help.

Kegtey has already told you once the preferences benchmark is a CPU processing capability score only. Nothing to do with your video card. If you want to know how well your system can handle graphical things download 3dBenchmark and see what your score is. That system should be in the 3500-4500 range.

Note: A GF4Ti4600 is honestly overkill for that system, you will never get all that you can get out of that card because you system is outdated in that it uses SDRAM. Your system is bottlenecked on its memory bandwidth and system bus bandwidth.

3D Mark is pretty much the opposite of the cpu benchmark in ofp preferences, 95% of the score is dependant on the video card, which the thing is not with 99% of the games out there, and especially OFP seems to need alot of cpu power for all the ai handling etc, but also a decent video card for the huge terrains, and also alot of memory bandwidth, and quite a bit of total memory too.

Example of how useless 3D mark scores are is my computer... I have a 566 MHz Celeron 2 overclocked to 890MHz, and a (long?) while ago I had a GeForce 2 MX. With that combination I got about 1600 points in 3D mark. Now my system is all the same, but the video card is a GeForce 4 Ti4200 and I get over 6000 points. Thats almost 4x more, yet the performance difference in real games is propably half of that at best, ofp runs rather choppy sometimes because the cpu is so slow (And I dont have money to buy a better one tounge.gif) but thanks to the video card I can use 1448x1088 resolution, while with the GF2MX 1024x768 was the absolute max, 800x600 was good.

Edit: Oh, I get about 1400 points from the ofp preferences cpu benchmark

Uh. You can afford a 200+ video card but can't afford a 1.6 Ghz athlon+ motherboard for 170?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedRogue @ Aug. 13 2002,07:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Uh.  You can afford a 200+ video card but can't afford a 1.6 Ghz athlon+ motherboard for 170?<span id='postcolor'>

A decent P4 system with a good mobo would cost at least double of what the GF4 cost me... AMD systems aint ever getting in my computer.

Awwww. To good for us AMD folks huh. Now I get it, we aren't worthy of the almighty Kegetys. Hail the almighty but underperforming Pentium....

tounge.gif

Oh and Espectro if you don't care if your motherboard can overcloak there are some very stable and good performing motherboards for around $70 US. Some of Elite Core Groups products are fine boards, just not the ones with onboard video.

I get 3000with a 1333 thunderbird. but like the man said, its purely a geometric 'rendering~line~drawing kinda thing' nothing to do with the texture fill rate and whatnot of a video card.

Kegety!. if you spent such an 'out of this world' price on an Intell system, why did you flunk out on an MX video card?. nothing left in the wallet after paying Intel prices?. ROFLOL!! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (BoonieRat @ Aug. 15 2002,11:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Kegety!. if you spent such an 'out of this world' price on an Intell system, why did you flunk out on an MX video card?. nothing left in the wallet after paying Intel prices?. ROFLOL!! biggrin.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Huh? my current intel system has been really cheap. I have alot of reasons why I do not want amd systems, main ones being their awful amount of heat generation (my computer is on 24h/day on a room where the temp goes to as high as 32 degrees celsius, and I sleep about 1 meter away from it, so noise levels must be extremely low), the horrible quality differences between cpu's, and the bugs and problems with amd mobo chipsets.

And, the GF4 I bought was really cheap... I got contacts wink.gif And a P4 system isnt that much more expensive than an amd system, actually I think I could get a 1,6GHz P4 for alot cheaper than a top-end athlon, and overclock it to way over 2GHz.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Aug. 13 2002,15:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedRogue @ Aug. 13 2002,07:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Uh.  You can afford a 200+ video card but can't afford a 1.6 Ghz athlon+ motherboard for 170?<span id='postcolor'>

A decent P4 system with a good mobo would cost at least double of what the GF4 cost me... AMD systems aint ever getting in my computer.<span id='postcolor'>

I have two systems.

First system: P4 2.0GhZ, GeForce3. Benchamrk: 4225 (yeah, yeah, it's just a number. tounge.gif)

Second system: AMD Athlon XP 2200+, Geforce4 ti 4600. Benchmark: 5620. I tried that card on a Pentium, but i must say it works better on XP. Processor itself is better for at least 20%. P4 2.5GhZ is better, but it costs so much. It's not worth it, because it's not much better than the XP 2200+.

The only problem with AMD's is overheating, but you can solve this with a good cooler. My temperature is always around 98°F or 37°C. P4 temperature is pretty much the same.  smile.gif

Anyways. I like Pentiums, but they're just too expensive. That 2.0GHZ P4 was very expensive when i bought it. AMD performace and price is acceptable. smile.gif

I'm pretty sure you have a reason for those unacceptable words.  tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Aug. 15 2002,13:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Huh? my current intel system has been really cheap. I have alot of reasons why I do not want amd systems, main ones being their awful amount of heat generation (my computer is on 24h/day on a room where the temp goes to as high as 32 degrees celsius, and I sleep about 1 meter away from it, so noise levels must be extremely low), the horrible quality differences between cpu's, and the bugs and problems with amd mobo chipsets.<span id='postcolor'>

My two computers are on 24h/day too. I don't sleep next to them, but that doesn't mean that noise is not a problem. That's why i bought very silent cooler. It's a little more expensive, but you would need it for overclocked P4. Not just for AMD. Even if you would overclock that 1.6 GhZ P4, it would never reach Athlon 2200+. And you can also overclock that one. smile.gif

I've got an underperformance problem too.

I get around 5000 points in 3d mark with an athlon 1.2 ghz, and a Ti4600. I get a 2000 OFP benchmark, and I get 30-60 fps in half-life.

P4

1024pc800

GF4 ti4600

Benchamrk: 5300 to 5400 in ofpr

I had a P3 600mhz before this with a TNT2. It did not run so well so I went out and got a GF3 and was able to run ofp fine. I sold it to a friend and he says ofpr runs ok on it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (zverushka @ Aug. 15 2002,13:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I've got an underperformance problem too.

I get around 5000 points in 3d mark with an athlon 1.2 ghz, and a Ti4600. I get a 2000 OFP benchmark, and I get 30-60 fps in half-life.<span id='postcolor'>

omg...

When i had a gf2mx i actually had better fps in halflife, with all maxed out at 1024*768. And im on a duron 700.

Anyway, now my computer is:

Duron 700

Soltek AKV-75 motherboard (Or similar name smile.gif )

256 SD RAM pc133

14" monitor ( sad.gif )

Terratec DMX Xfire1024 Soundcard (Very good card)

Asus Geforce 4 TI4600

And this machine can outrun many 1.4 ghz in OFP (While loading etc. Even some with 512 DDR Ram). I dont know why, but thats how it is, since it loads more quickly and, due to my gfx card, i can run anything at maxed out in ofp:r at 1024*768*32 (That is the highest resolution my monitor can handle).

Im aware that my PC cant use all the things in my gfx optimal, but OFP:R is pretty much the most demanding thing I want to run at the moment, so i dont care smile.gif

My score in 3dmark2001 is 6000 while my OFP CPU score is 1900.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ Aug. 13 2002,09:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RedRogue @ Aug. 13 2002,07:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Uh. You can afford a 200+ video card but can't afford a 1.6 Ghz athlon+ motherboard for 170?<span id='postcolor'>

A decent P4 system with a good mobo would cost at least double of what the GF4 cost me... AMD systems aint ever getting in my computer.<span id='postcolor'>

Good for you pal.

Goodbye IBM Thinkpad T20 700Mhz 256MB RAM 8MB onboard video.

Hello Dell Lattitude C840 notebook, 2GhZ 512MB RAM 64MB onboard Nvidia Geforce 4 440 Go.

OFPR score is 3947 but I haven't played yet. biggrin.gif Lotta configuring to do.

I've got two systems I use for multiplayer.

Intel P4 1500MHz, 256Mb RD-RAM, 64Mb GeForce 3.

OFP benchmark 3180.

Intel P3 550MHz, 384Mb SD-RAM, 32Mb GeForce 2.

OFP benchmark 1120.

I'm going to upgrade my second machine, but I'm also reluctant to get an AMD despite the low cost, I've worked as a computer sales consultant for a few years (although I'm a tech support guy now) and I know all the pros and cons, however the price of P4's is off-putting. I got my current P4 at an extremely low price through my old employer when one of the head office marketing people cocked up and put a couple of ex-demo systems on our ordering system at ex-VAT prices - I saw the mistake and had one! biggrin.gif

Intel are more reliable and better supported, that does it for me every time.

how about one of the AMD systems i have:

AMD Athlon XP 1.46GHz (1.7)

GeForce 256 32MB

512 MB of 133MHz ram

Benchmark 4200.

EDIT

Running on a Elite Group Computer Systems K7S5a board... no (ZERO) reliablility problems if CPU is kept under 58 deg C.

OFP Benchmark: 1740

AMD Duron 800

384mb RAM

GF 2 MX

15 Inch monitor ( sad.gif )

ow and this comp is better than:

Pentium-III 800

384mb RAM

GF 2 MX

Really !! i have tried it and amd is better