Sign in to follow this  
HighwayStar

So why didn't Bohemia get the rights to use real world names for stuff?

creative freedom ... and savior from fanatics demanding that the IR reflector is 5cm to left from chaff ejection port and not 10 as in game ...
You guys should make a "real names" client-side-only paid DLC. :lol:
I thought EA made it so video game companies don't need permission to use a real vehicle ingame as long as it is true to the real life version.
As mentioned on the prior page with a Joystiq link, they settled out of court; Patent Arcade's take is here:

creative freedom ... and savior from fanatics demanding that the IR reflector is 5cm to left from chaff ejection port and not 10 as in game ...

You are silly think that will stop them. :P

I know I can just use mods to get the authentic vehicles, weapons and equipment but Arma already has enough servers that refuse me entry for the slightest thing. I don't need to add another reason hehe.

I know I can just use mods to get the authentic vehicles, weapons and equipment but Arma already has enough servers that refuse me entry for the slightest thing. I don't need to add another reason hehe.

I might be able to script in the names so in game they have real names. :)

I'm going to change the names in my mod anyway :D I already changed a few things like Kamaz 5350. The present-day-prototypes however ... well they could get any name in the 2030s.

As mentioned previously cost probably has a lot to do with it. Another thing to consider is the willingness of the companies that make these things to allow their destruction to be depicted, especially for vehicles. Many racing type games which licence real world models never have any damage modelling because the manufacturer's simply do not want their cars associated, even slightly, with the image of a crash. I suppose this could be particularly of military vehicles, seeing as avoiding destruction and damage is a big part of their design.

I absolutely don't get why is it so important for people to have such unimportant lines of text in the game...sorry.

Edited by Bouben

I dont get why they should use licensed names. It's all about money. If they spend 100k (fictional numbers, i have no clue what something like this costs :)) then these 100k can't be put into something that enriches the gameplay.

I totally support that there are no real names ingame, it's just useless from my point of view.

I dont get why they should use licensed names. It's all about money. If they spend 100k (fictional numbers, i have no clue what something like this costs :)) then these 100k can't be put into something that enriches the gameplay.

I totally support that there are no real names ingame, it's just useless from my point of view.

I completely agree. There is so many really important features yet to be implemented in to the game.

the name of Osprey has changed to V/STOL in the wreck category. and HMMWV to Military Vehicle.

They even got rid of the names "UAZ" and "URAL" in the wreck category too. Is there really a fear that any depiction of a real-life product that includes its name may incur the wrath of copywright lawyers? As it stands (as far as I can think) only the Mi-48 alludes to a real-world company.

I find the lack of real names frustrating and annoying at times.

It really added a lot to realism because rather than saying target that "imaginary vehicle name" it was target that M2A1 and the M2A1 looked like a real M2A1.

I would at least like for an easy way of having the in game vehicles and weapons have there real names without using an addon.

Edited by ProGamer

The littlebird and many other real world vehicles have always been the staple of previous Arma's. Alot of vehicles and weapons in A3 are prototypes or are completely made up to begin with. That's what A3's all about. If you want real world vehicles then simply play OFP, Arma1 or Arma2.

The only thing that gets to me about the current naming is stuff like naming a tracked vehicle a BTR. And other like scenarios with some of the weapons. I mean I get creative control and all that, but come on. BTR with tracks?

FPDR

Trivial though in the scheme of things, as this will surely be corrected by the community soon enough. And I completely understand why BIS would want to shy away these things. Makes sense to just let the community patch it up and avoid potential migraines in the future. :)

The littlebird and many other real world vehicles have always been the staple of previous Arma's. Alot of vehicles and weapons in A3 are prototypes or are completely made up to begin with. That's what A3's all about. If you want real world vehicles then simply play OFP, Arma1 or Arma2.

The Kajmin and the design of the ghosthawk are prototypes. The rest are real world vehicles

I'd much rather them spend that money (and it could be quite expensive) and use it in the development in the game itself. Its sad that it would have to come to that though.

The Kajmin and the design of the ghosthawk are prototypes. The rest are real world vehicles

I wouldn't call the Kajman a prototype, more like a frankenstein mix up heli. :)