Sign in to follow this  
HighwayStar

So why didn't Bohemia get the rights to use real world names for stuff?

Surely you could have paid to use the name 'Littlebird' instead of 'Hummingbird', or 'Kamaz' instead of 'Zamak'? You were able to do it in Arma2 so what stopped you now? Arma2 was so immersive simply because we got to use the real steel machines with their real life names.

I think the possibility of legal action from using other peoples intellectual property drove this decision. It would be nice to have real names, but ultimately it's adds little to the overall experience, and the potential resources this would take up in the event of legal action just isn't worth the effort.

Because money can be invested into something more important.

I think people might mod that in? I know someone did something along the lines of that for CSS. Although I don't know how the legal aspect works out for a modder.

Although I don't know how the legal aspect works out for a modder.

As long as they don't sell the mod, its usually fine since they don't make money off it.

However some companies are a bit nitpicky about it.

The fake names bug me too, I hope someone will replace the names, and share it in mod.

But they had the rights to "Kamaz" for Arma2. And Bohemia is a more successful business now than it was back then. Why do cost cutting now?

But they had the rights to "Kamaz" for Arma2. And Bohemia is a more successful business now than it was back then. Why do cost cutting now?

That is based on the assumption that they ever purchased rights to use the name in the first place.

It's a direction most of the gaming industry is heading in. If I'm not mistaken, BF4 is going to be changing names as well.

I believe it was simply because BI know that modders will get the units in eitherways, so they may as well just take a creative license and go with made-up equipment.

So it was probably a case of BI being a small fish with A2 until now? Well, nobody want lawsuits, so I can understand the decision.

I believe it was simply because BI know that modders will get the units in eitherways, so they may as well just take a creative license and go with made-up equipment.

This would be the case if Arma 3 had more than a small handful of fictional equipment

It seem that somebody is suffering serious psychiatrist:rolleyes:

That is based on the assumption that they ever purchased rights to use the name in the first place.

Well Arma2 has sold millions of copies and none of the 'name-holders' ever submitted a complaint. It's obvious that BI had bought the rights to use them. Otherwise it would have been illegally profiting from the use of other peoples intellectual property and would have been sued a million times.

Actually this was one of the few names that Bohemia explicitly didn't have the right to use, hence the trucks appearing with the name "Utility truck" originally (ACE renamed them KAMAZ IIRC). The actual textures do not show "КÐÐœÐЗ" but "ЗÐÐœÐК", as they continue to do so now. That said, I'm fairly certain I remember an authentic GAZ logo on the steering wheel of the Vodnik.

But yes, what is most apparent now is not so much the skirting of using certain trademarked names but the explicit renaming of easily recognisable military hardware so none of it seems connected to the real-world anymore. Though they still feel they can use the name of Mil Helicopters in the Mi-48 but not Kamov in what should be - and always used to be - the Ka-60. This is despite the fact that I'm fairly sure both Mil and Kamov come under the same happy parent company.

It's not a gripe, it's just a shame.

Furthermore, I remember that the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series had a similar policy of avoiding using real-world names for blatantly real-world guns. Needless to say players were spoilt for choice when it came to mods that gave them back their real names...

It´s understandable with no licenses, there´s just so much various content made from so many companies that it´s probably not economically viable to do.

Well Arma2 has sold millions of copies and none of the 'name-holders' ever submitted a complaint. It's obvious that BI had bought the rights to use them. Otherwise it would have been illegally profiting from the use of other peoples intellectual property and would have been sued a million times.

Again, an assumption. ;)

Arma 2 didn't actually have real names for a lot of the vehicles. You had Hand Over Offenders and Zamak trucks, but since nobody bothered to look at the brand markings, it wasn't really important. The move into a near-future setting's probably allowing them a bit more freedom with regards to nomenclature as well.

Again, an assumption. ;)

Well it's either assume BI did things by the book and got the licences.

OR

Assume none of legal teams in these companies have working eyes and brains, and were entirely blind and ignorant of what this immensely popular game was doing with their intellectual property.:D

Take your pick.

"Immensely popular"? *coughDayZcough* But I wouldn't be surprised if BI simply chose to save money this time around and going with some fictionalized appearances (as opposed to names) meant more-creative-license.

I thought EA made it so video game companies don't need permission to use a real vehicle ingame as long as it is true to the real life version.

Supreme Court ruling that video games have the same free speech protections as other expressive works such as film, books and music.

creative freedom ... and savior from fanatics demanding that the IR reflector is 5cm to left from chaff ejection port and not 10 as in game ...