Sign in to follow this  
Qosmius

Performance problems

is it just me who is concerned about this..since alpha the game has been partially broken with the performance errors..yes it works nicely in single player when playing in the editor..but the second it comes to online play, which is one of the core concepts of this game. it turns very rapidly into a so called "lagfest"

so i wonder if the developers have even layed a finger on this subject..they seem more concerned with getting a game out as fast as possible, rather than actually optimising it before it is released. ppls have discussed this since early alpha..yeeaah this is alpha so deal with it, it will be fixed later on...then beta came...yes this is beta what do u expect they will fix it later....

But now 13 days before release, i am really starting to worry. when they released altis, there is basically lag on every server i play on. some peoples might say find some friends and play on a coop game..but this game is also meant for large scale battles, not only small arms engagement. but so far this engine has shown no potency of being able to handle it.

if they release this game with these multiplayer flaws, am i able to get a refund from this game because they are shipping an unfinished and a unoptimised game?

i do not want to play a laggy multiplayer, i want it to be smooth like in bf3, minecraft, supreme commander and every other game that has been created. it seems like this problem only exists in bohemia universe and other small indie game developers who has a budget of 100 dollars

INB4 thread getting closed ;) - Well, MP performance will be an issue I think, but time will tell.

well, if they close this thread it is just sad..ppls need to show the developers that this is a major issues. Mp performance is the biggest issue in the game, and i hope this thread stays alive so people can comment on what they feel about it to show the developers what is important to focus on

---------- Post added at 12:47 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

for me, being able to do anything in this game smoothly really affects what i think about it..for example i do not want to stutter while i try to shoot enemies that run infront of me, sometimes it gets to the point where it is impossible to hit them. also when you sit on the back of a friends vehicle, it is not the same feeling as you should drive it yourself, it pretty much warps around the area and the movements are not smooth as it is in single player

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

sure people may tell me to play on a very optimised map..but that is not the point, i want to join in every user created map and play it, to have fun in it..not be stuck with a few maps that is optimised. it takes the fun out of everything..playing capture the flag is not fun when the game stutters most of the time....why cannot they have the feature like in normal games..if the connection is bad why do not the players lag instead of getting fps problems?

if you had lag in bf 1942 in the old days players warped around, in arma 3 your whole game stutters

well, if they close this thread it is just sad..

Nah, it's just forum management, there topics on this subject already, why make a new topic?

Wasn't Altis released on the dev branch? You know, the one that wasn't meant to be stable? By the way, next time please use proper grammar and formatting. Don't like reading a wall of unformatted text.

Wasn't Altis released on the dev branch? You know, the one that wasn't meant to be stable? By the way, next time please use proper grammar and formatting. Don't like reading a wall of unformatted text.

It's not about Altis but overall performance, on Stratis aswell.

I'd have to disagree with you. I don't see any performance on stratus on the stable branch. I tried it as well on the dev branch and I have yet to experience one hiccup or drop in framerate.

yes, my english is not the best so sry if it is bad. but this is a problem since stratis map too

---------- Post added at 12:56 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

starky. the problem is not in singleplayer, but in multiplayer..i am sure that you have experienced this before if you play in servers online, you will experience this sometime

is it just me who is concerned about this..since alpha the game has been partially broken with the performance errors..yes it works nicely in single player when playing in the editor..but the second it comes to online play, which is one of the core concepts of this game. it turns very rapidly into a so called "lagfest"

so i wonder if the developers have even layed a finger on this subject..they seem more concerned with getting a game out as fast as possible, rather than actually optimising it before it is released. ppls have discussed this since early alpha..yeeaah this is alpha so deal with it, it will be fixed later on...then beta came...yes this is beta what do u expect they will fix it later....

But now 13 days before release, i am really starting to worry. when they released altis, there is basically lag on every server i play on. some peoples might say find some friends and play on a coop game..but this game is also meant for large scale battles, not only small arms engagement. but so far this engine has shown no potency of being able to handle it.

if they release this game with these multiplayer flaws, am i able to get a refund from this game because they are shipping an unfinished and a unoptimised game?

i do not want to play a laggy multiplayer, i want it to be smooth like in bf3, minecraft, supreme commander and every other game that has been created. it seems like this problem only exists in bohemia universe and other small indie game developers who has a budget of 100 dollars

1. The performance topic has been discussed to death and the developers are aware of this. Performance varies from player to player. You could have used this thread for feedback. Or maybe the troubleshooting subforum.

2. What are your PC specs?

3. You could get a refund yes. Where did you buy the game from? However, Bohemia has a history of releasing performance enhancing patches post release. I asume you bought the game while it was in Alpha? If you decide to re-buy the game later, you would have to pay the full price...

As for performnace in other games... I wont comment on that :)

Since Alpha, the game is becoming better and better.

I am playing it solo every days and the feeling is good.

I am playing it with my Team mate on "stable beta" and the feeling is also good with a decent stable FPS amount.

So, I am not playing a broken game, it's smooth, no laggy at all even in large engagements on Stratis.

Of course, I had bad experiences on makeshift servers with tinkered missions but on a decent pro server, playing a well built mission playing the game in MP is just great.

Have you tried the stable branch?

By the way, I do indeed play MP, but only on the stable branch.

I'd have to disagree with you. I don't see any performance on stratus on the stable branch. I tried it as well on the dev branch and I have yet to experience one hiccup or drop in framerate.

Without specs it's pointless discussion, i'm on well over recommended system specs and i cannot maintain even 30 fps with 1k view distance in many parts of Stratis/Altis and thats on empty editor with no AI.

If i put 40 AI to fight each other in Agia Marina (editor) it dips well below 20 fps.

If i have 20 fps in mutliplayer it's a miracle.

Your problem OP is your pc must be crap. Sounds to me that this troll has been battleeye banned and is trying to cause trouble.

I have no problem on Stratis, and a little streaming problem in Altis. It is in NO WAY broken. You know nothing about BIS if you are posting this rubbish!

Your problem OP is your pc must be crap. Sounds to me that this troll has been battleeye banned and is trying to cause trouble.

I have no problem on Stratis, and a little streaming problem in Altis. It is in NO WAY broken. You know nothing about BIS if you are posting this rubbish!

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=716

Yeah, we are all delusional. Wake up kiddo.

Edited by k3lt

1. The performance topic has been discussed to death and the developers are aware of this. Performance varies from player to player. You could have used this thread for feedback. Or maybe the troubleshooting subforum.

2. What are your PC specs?

3. You could get a refund yes. Where did you buy the game from? However, Bohemia has a history of releasing performance enhancing patches post release. I asume you bought the game while it was in Alpha? If you decide to re-buy the game later, you would have to pay the full price...

As for performnace in other games... I wont comment on that :)

hi maionaze, yes i know there might be several threads about it, sry for making a repost. but i do not feel that this problem has been taken seriously. it gets overlooked a bit i think.

i have a pc with 500gb ssd disc, 8gb ram, core i7-2670 cpu and a radeon hd 6900 series gfx card with 2gb vram..the game runs smooth in the editor. but when there are non dedicated servers hosting maps, game stutters.

and i did buy it from steam, yes i know bohemia releases unfinished games..i have been faithful since arma 1 was created, and it saddens to see they do not learn from theyr past mistakes..cheers

I am playing it with my Team mate on "stable beta" and the feeling is also good with a decent stable FPS amount.

I disagree on the feeling and on the smoothness.

Especially in multiplayer I experienced very bad performance. In fact, some missions that I can play fine in single player seem to be unplayable in multilayer even though the AI stuff should have been offloaded to the server. Performance tends to drop into the 10-20 FPS range frequently, and that is with a system that doesn't only fulfill the minimum requirements but rather the recommended. Performance on Altis is even worse.

And I cannot shake the feeling of oddness. Somehow the game feels odd to me. Movement, the supposed "Grand New Feature", just feels robotic and plain wrong. Even movement in Battlefield 3 feels better. Enough for me to stay with Arma 2 for the moment, even with all the quirks it feels better.

It seems so OP. Community alpha was supposed to make the release better but out of all 4 games in the series this is going to be the worst release by far.

MP performance issues, still tons of bugs, stability issues, huge chunks of content missing and possibly never making it back into the game.

I too think there is much work to be done before we get a game up to the standards of A2/OA, but I accept that this is no easy task, and I am happy to wait until things get polished. Broken is a bit of an exaggeration I think.

hi maionaze, yes i know there might be several threads about it, sry for making a repost. but i do not feel that this problem has been taken seriously. it gets overlooked a bit i think.

i have a pc with 500gb ssd disc, 8gb ram, core i7-2670 cpu and a radeon hd 6900 series gfx card with 2gb vram..the game runs smooth in the editor. but when there are non dedicated servers hosting maps, game stutters.

and i did buy it from steam, yes i know bohemia releases unfinished games..i have been faithful since arma 1 was created, and it saddens to see they do not learn from theyr past mistakes..cheers

Ok thanks for answering :)

That might be your problem. Possible factors: Hosting PC specs + how well it's maintained + users net speed/geo location

EDIT

Since this is turning into dev branch thread 2.0, only posts belonging to the OP and those that give him a direct usefull answer will be accepted. I want to rap this up as fast as I can.

Edited by Maio

Considering how hot my desktop can be playing A3, i'm always amazed that people can play it with laptop. Anyway, your problem is connected to MP.

Without specs it's pointless discussion, i'm on well over recommended system specs and i cannot maintain even 30 fps with 1k view distance in many parts of Stratis/Altis and thats on empty editor with no AI.

If i put 40 AI to fight each other in Agia Marina (editor) it dips well below 20 fps.

If i have 20 fps in mutliplayer it's a miracle.

AMD processors are pretty beaten up in Arma. Sad but true :/ http://pclab.pl/art54599-4.html Recommends could be better.

Qosmius do you have anything else to add?

I disagree on the feeling and on the smoothness.

Especially in multiplayer I experienced very bad performance. In fact, some missions that I can play fine in single player seem to be unplayable in multilayer even though the AI stuff should have been offloaded to the server. Performance tends to drop into the 10-20 FPS range frequently, and that is with a system that doesn't only fulfill the minimum requirements but rather the recommended. Performance on Altis is even worse.

And I cannot shake the feeling of oddness. Somehow the game feels odd to me. Movement, the supposed "Grand New Feature", just feels robotic and plain wrong. Even movement in Battlefield 3 feels better. Enough for me to stay with Arma 2 for the moment, even with all the quirks it feels better.

Same thing here. I surpass the recommended specs, but easily drop to 10 fps in multiplayer and 20-25 fps in single player in any kind of serious mission. There's no performance tweaking because it's not graphics settings that are causing it. I can cruise around Altis on an empty map and get 50-60 fps easily, probably higher but I use V-sync. It's when you start to add AI units to the map and player units in multiplayer that performance tanks. Consequently it's also when you see GPU usage drop, because the CPU is bottlenecked and can't keep up so the GPU starts becoming less active.

I put myself down on an empty map in Kavala and I get 45 FPS. I put myself down as part of a full squad, and put 5 fire teams, not full squads but just fire teams, throughout Kavala and use the UPS script to have them patrol, and I go down to 22 fps. This is in single player too. So a 23 fps drop for 28 AI units on the map. If I were to host this mission on my dedi server box, and have say 8 friends join and take the place of the AI, FPS would drops down to 10-15 fps. There's issue's with Multiplayer performance and there's issue's with AI and the load that they bring to your Processor. Not everyone is going to have an i7 overclocked to 4.8ghz, in fact even if you do there is still a performance problem because clock speed alone is not or will not fix the issue.

All I really want is to see this addressed. Postponing the Performance blog kind of made me feel like it's being swept under the rug. Maybe because it requires more work than they want to put into it or maybe because they don't have anything to say about it. Whatever the reason though, I would rather they say it than try to pretend that it's unimportant by having mods and users coming into legit threads with issue's and trying to push them all into a sticky thread that is largely being ignored. I'm not saying there aren't people trolling or people just posting dissenting posts because they're pissed off, but that's no reason to ignore the people who honestly just want to help get the issue fixed because they love the game. All we want to do is be able to play the game.

*edit* I posted this before I saw your post Maonaize.

isnt it not possible to make it more fluid for clients to host theyr own missions? without getting the lag problems all the time? there will not be many dedicatet servers for sure, and if there are. i bet all of them will host the same maps, meaning wasteland, invade og annex over and over. will there be any fixes for this in the features since it was never fixed in any previous arma series?

I played Armed Assault 1.00 ib German, so my answer to the OP is definitely they might release it broken. There is precedence.