Sign in to follow this  
Throbulator

Vehicle transport ship?

I was wondering if there will be any kind of amphibious vehicle transport in Arma3, like a ship you can drive multiple vehicles on to to transport them? After playing some MP missions on Altis I think this would be a useful addition given the layout of the island. If you're based over at say Moudros and need to get over the bay/Gulf currently it takes a long time to drive vehicles around to say Vikos, so a small transport ship would be quite useful to get across the bay i think.

In the official release there's not gonna be any vehicle transport ship, but the mod FFAA ( spanish army ), will have one... in fact they are even making a working LHD.

Right some Hovercraft like LCAC can be realy cool, and some other war ship, not big one (with RCWS 76mm gun) but just bigger than the speedboat could be great!

Ship like the Skjold

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/skjold/images/Skjold_10.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skjold-class_patrol_boat

Right some Hovercraft like LCAC can be realy cool, and some other war ship, not big one (with RCWS 76mm gun) but just bigger than the speedboat could be great!

I'm agree that a Hovercraft would look lovely, but the Skjold is the most ugly floating thing I've ever seen. I would prefer something like the CB90:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CB90-class_fast_assault_craft ( if the guys of the swedish mod... )

In fact the Navy is missing and it's a bit surprising because we had big boats in Arma2.

Even if they were static the LHD, destroyer and corvette were great.

Now as we have a fully usable sea space it will be great to get larger boats.

I was thinking about less than 50m hull naval units such as Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM) and Landing Craft Air Cushion (LCAC) but also naval future items such as the French Espadon drone and L-CAT landing catamaran.

I actually think the French Catamaran landing craft would do blufor nicely.

In fact the Navy is missing and it's a bit surprising because we had big boats in Arma2.

I was thinking about less than 50m hull naval units such as Landing Craft Mechanized (LCM) and Landing Craft Air Cushion (LCAC) but also naval future items such as the French Espadon drone and L-CAT landing catamaran.

Plus Altis integrates land and sea more closely than in Chernarussia. Altis is almost like an archipelago. Navy units would have a far greater role in Arma3 if only they were added *sniff* :'(

I am actually surprised there is no Altis to Stratis ferry, could be very much like the pair that service the Scilly islands in the UK (About same distance too)

I believe that you're mistaken: all I remember from Arma 2 being actually "drivable" was the CRRC, the Zodiacs (for both sides) and the "RHIB" (VBS2 calls the CRRC a "Zodiac RHIB" while the Arma 2 RHIB is called the "NSW RHIB") plus a PBX for OPFOR; the USS Khe Sanh was a static part of the Utes terrain for helicopter/VTOL/STOVL aircraft and the "Destroyer" (for all of its passing-resemblance-at-long-distance-without-zoom to an Arleigh Burke-class) was also just a static object... so that was it, really.
Will there be any stable warships and carriers too?
Probably not. Although, the Swedish Forces pack already has a missile boat. And then there's that Spanish carrier...
Actually, there's quite a few "larger" naval ships that are known to be WIP as standalone or part of "Forces Pack" mods. :D Although speaking of Swedish Forces Pack, that missile boat is joined by the "for cutscenes only" HSwMS Gotland (no weapons, functions or modeled interior) and the G-class landing craft; apparently
(to date unreleased).

As far as mods (I'm going to be linking to a bunch of the ships also found in a prior post of mine) FFAA 6.0's got SPS Juan Carlos I (L61) the amphibious assault ship/aircraft carrier (it's got a ski jump unlike the Wasp-class) as you mentioned, but also a Galicia-class landing platform dock (dunno if it's specifically supposed to be the lead ship, SPS Galicia (L51) or SPS Castilla (L52) or just an unidentified Galicia-class) and a LCM-1E landing craft are named with some more planned... we've already had someone apparently part of the FFAA mod team reveal that a S-80-class submarine is "90% modeled", while the Galicia-class "Was in ArmA 2 for testing, but will only be release for ARMA 3!" (

's video of that Arma 2 testing of the Galicia-class.)

Another LCM-1E image, as well as an image of the Galicia-class and two of Juan Carlos I; more details on planned capabilities for the Galicia-class and Juan Carlos I here.

German Armed Forces mod (WIP) also has Braunschweig (F260/DRBA) (lead ship of her class), L788 Butt (that pennant number was decommissioned but two of her class remain in service), and a Gepard-class fast attack craft/missile boat modeled, while a Berlin-class replenishment ship was planned but I have not seen its Arma 3 version if any was actually modeled; naval details begin on page 4 of that thread, and Tasmanian's posts have the screenshots (the Gepard-class FAC is the deemed as firing the Exocet[/url], while "ULC" is the landing craft and "260" is the Braunschweig-class).

As for standalones to my recollection, mankyle released the source files for a Collins-class submarine (assembly required, may or may not still be worked on) and USS Independence (LCS 2) for public testing, but pay attention to that "technological demonstrator" disclaimer, as far as setting your expectations appropriately... paving the way for Chops' Arleigh Burke-class destroyer, screenshots of which are on the first page, the second, the sixth and the seventh. TxT was working on a fictional warship inspired by USS Freedom (LCS 1) in exterior appearance, but I have no idea as to progress there... and Aplion modeled this.

But yeah, as far as BI's end goes, none announced and seemingly none planned.

I would think we will see more naval content added in the form of expansions or updates as the game becomes more seasoned, especially now that the sea in Arma3 has become a truly viable combat area for the first time in Arma series.

Edited by Furyk

I would think we will see more naval content added in the form of expansions or updates as the game becomes more seasoned, especially now that the sea in Arma3 has become a truly viable combat area for the first time in Arma series.

The fact is, Arma3 players can now take the fight above or below the water surface!