Sign in to follow this  
CombatComm1

What is the deal with servers and mods!! >: (

:mad: This has always frustrated me beyond belief. How is it that so many server admins dont understand/know about the basic/nessecary mods and allow them on their servers!? I cannot find a single warfare or pvp server that allows mods like bensons better textures, JSRS. It's ridiculous. This game and community is toted as being all about mods and yet the majority of servers are Vanilla ARMA 3 which in reality is quite an eye sore with the crappy mid range textures.

Another reason why everyone has been up in arms about BIS half assed approach to things and saying mods will fix what we dont do. This game is unplayable with the disgusting mid range and sounds. I just don't understand why there are so many servers that don't allow mods.

I guess all my rageing is for someone to please enlighten me. Please either point me in the direction of some good servers that allow mods (prefferebly PVP/warfare) or explain to me why no one cares about making this game look/sound/play amazing online!? I understand the hackers and what not but how can a hacker effect the game if you enable JSRS or a graphical mod on ARMA!?

Sincerely, frustrated modded Arma lover/vanilla arma hater.

Unless you restrict the allowed mods to a very few specific items, you can easily be hacked.

Once the game matures after release, you will see public servers begin to allow certain popular mods. ACE, for example.

But if you have a certain set you really can't live without, it's best to play with a community that trusts you to install fair mods and not hack.

:mad: This has always frustrated me beyond belief. How is it that so many server admins dont understand/know about the basic/nessecary mods and allow them on their servers!? I cannot find a single warfare or pvp server that allows mods like bensons better textures, JSRS. It's ridiculous. This game and community is toted as being all about mods and yet the majority of servers are Vanilla ARMA 3 which in reality is quite an eye sore with the crappy mid range textures.

Another reason why everyone has been up in arms about BIS half assed approach to things and saying mods will fix what we dont do. This game is unplayable with the disgusting mid range and sounds. I just don't understand why there are so many servers that don't allow mods.

I guess all my rageing is for someone to please enlighten me. Please either point me in the direction of some good servers that allow mods (prefferebly PVP/warfare) or explain to me why no one cares about making this game look/sound/play amazing online!? I understand the hackers and what not but how can a hacker effect the game if you enable JSRS or a graphical mod on ARMA!?

Sincerely, frustrated modded Arma lover/vanilla arma hater.

First of all, there is no "basic and necessary mod" that is a matter of opinion. I enjoy JSRS but I still can play Arma 2/3 without it. Realistically, JSRS and all other mods at this point for Arma 3 are in Alpha/Beta, hell the game itself is in Beta. It makes no sense to worry about mods until the game is finished with its final build and the actual mods themselves are "done". If you are that upset by the fact that only a few servers are using your definition of "good mods' why not make your own server and see how that works out.

We (EUTW) are planning to allow certain mods on our server but I'm currently very busy in making my mission... I want to get it ready before the release. Once that is out of the way I can look into mods

CombatComm1, do you know that the game is in Beta fase? and that Sheepdog said the mods are in alpha/beta fase too. Your attitude bothers me because it seems that of an angry child. You have to understand that if mods are not installed on the servers is that they still have instability.

JSRS has not released server keys yet. So it wont work on a locked server until Lord Jarhead releases the keys.

Unless you restrict the allowed mods to a very few specific items, you can easily be hacked.

Once the game matures after release, you will see public servers begin to allow certain popular mods. ACE, for example.

But if you have a certain set you really can't live without, it's best to play with a community that trusts you to install fair mods and not hack.

^^this

Of course most of server admins are lazy && ignorant simultaneously.

It's easier to restrict players to "basic" due to your ignorance/lazyness or..fear for hack than look for solutions that make

player's experience better.

This system works out-of-the-box in real life too..

We wont run mods because the base game isn't finished, so we definitely aren't going to use mods, focus on fixing the game first.

We have all 3 years or more before they bring Arma 4 (going on releases) out to test and play around with mods, I don't see why we can't focus our attention on Arma 3 so that when it comes out its ready, if we all started using mods imagine what kind of mixed messages the devs would be getting.

So calm down and be patient, when Arma 3 is out there will be lots of modded servers, and it will keep rising as more mods come out.

I can see what you are talking about Dale but i don't want to see same things happened with ARMA2 series.

Most server admins had a very defensive stance towards mods back then..

This thread inspired me to make my own thread on mods that I believe to be worth of server admins notice. I've made a thread on essential mods for servers (only effecting the client).

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthrea...23#post2490623

Feel free to add your own, I will screen it, and if it looks good I'll add to the list.

@OP: I love how you have this assumption that every server admin is a member of this community, a member of these forums. MOST of the servers are from people not associated with this forum community. As such, you're not going to see mods everywhere, not in your public servers.

Dont assume that admins dont know how, maybe they just dont want to host the addons. Afterall its their choice not yours

you can of course buy or rent your own server, build up your own community and place whatever mods you want on your server and then see how quickly it will be populated :-)

To host an addon pack takes up quite a lot of administration time.

To host a full conversion mod is much easier, even thought its a lot bigger.

Admins & server hosts don't make money out of doing this, its a hobby and some times its not very fulfilling and most of the time it costs them too.

Theyt also have limited time. 24 hours a day divided up into work, family, sleep eating and then their hobby.

Stop being so selfish and be thankful that we host servers for you (FREE OF CHARGE) in the first place.

Edited by Terox

Mods present a barrier to entry for new players. If your server is set up to feed new blood into your milsim unit, then the perceived hassle of downloading the necessary mods may be a turn off. They might not even know how to do it.

You might have a modded server with the newest hotness, but 'Joe Noob' that could have been a great asset to your community, decided that he didn't feel like installing mods just to see what your server is like. 'Joe' saw that my server doesn't have mods and comes in to take a look. He likes what he sees and signs up on the forums. Next thing you know he's installing the unit's modpack and things are going great.

Just an example of one way to look at it...

M

You might have a modded server with the newest hotness, but 'Joe Noob' that could have been a great asset to your community, decided that he didn't feel like installing mods just to see what your server is like. 'Joe' saw that my server doesn't have mods and comes in to take a look. He likes what he sees and signs up on the forums. Next thing you know he's installing the unit's modpack and things are going great.

I totally agree with your reply. It seems frustrating for me because I know there are mods out there and I plan on downloading some but when I download and install a mod I can't join regular games until I uninstall the mod. Does this sound right? If so that must change.

There needs to be central application where mods can be installed or ignored easily.

As it sits now it's just fragmenting the community and really quite sloppy. The mods unlock the awesomeness of arma but unfortunately they split up the player base.

There needs to be something like six launcher or dayz commader that has everything single arma 3 server listed and which mods are needed for each (call it "Arma Launcher" ) .

Then the player can download what they need (through the application or launcher) if they want to try out a mission / mod style. The server only takes up what is needed for the particular mission, so you don't need to uninstall mods just to join a server. If I remember correctly this method was implemented years ago for the battlefield 1942 system.

Edited by Big_T

Frankly the Nato & Russian weapons pack mod should be standard on all servers..

It's ridiculous how few weapons the vanilla game has, makes playing Wasteland or even Annex pretty dull as you barely have any soldier-to-soldier variety what so ever.

Want to be a machinegunner? Oh another MX or Zafir. Nothing else. No choice.

What we need is automatic mod downloading and enabling, both on joining a server and for SP missions, as described in this ticket by myself and others http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=6428

Then new players wouldn't be put off by having to manually download and setup mods as it would all be done automatically when joining the server the first time.

What we need is automatic mod downloading and enabling, both on joining a server and for SP missions, as described in this ticket by myself and others http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=6428

Then new players wouldn't be put off by having to manually download and setup mods as it would all be done automatically when joining the server the first time.

This is such a good point , I really hope that something gets implemented. It seems like half the awesomeness of Arma is lost to confusion and hassle. And before you say: "hey man you are kinda slow, it's not that hard to install and uninstall these mods manually, it's been that way since operation flashpoint" .. yeah thats true but in this day and age should we really have to fiddle with unarchiving and installing? >see dayz commander and such. There should be one cohesive application to handle all that., and please don't say six launcher cause that's years away from prime time (no offense I applaud the effort and hard work)

T

Mods present a barrier to entry for new players. If your server is set up to feed new blood into your milsim unit, then the perceived hassle of downloading the necessary mods may be a turn off. They might not even know how to do it.

For me its the other way around. I have to turn OFF mods when I want to play online. And that to me is like turning off all the fun. If I want to play with guns and other stuff, I have to do it in SP, which gets stale fast. In Multiplayer I cannot use any mods. It was the same in Arma 2 and still is. I don't expect that to change.

I wish it did change.

It's a matter of security. Usually only "closed" communities play with / allow certain mods. You don't ever want to play on a public server that freely allows addons... as it's the first sign of an unsecure server that's sure to be ruined with script kids. Trust me.

The problem is that aside from a client-side mods (which most server admins just ignore because there are too many of them and they may affect fairness), in order to use a mod you have to also require it. If you require a mod for your public server you can pretty much expect it to be empty 100% of the time due to players not having the mods and choosing to play on another server rather than installing mods just to join your empty server. It's hard enough to fill a server that doesn't require any mods.

I have required and optional mods on my server, but as Iceman77 said, it's a closed community. Mods are a blessing and a curse. For some players it takes time for them to understand that most players computers can't handle running 30 mods and maintaining them is a huge headache because they could be updated at any time.

Simple Solution:

If you want to go on a server and its server requirements are addons, just simply get them from www.armaholic.com

Now, the reason why the servers use addons is because they want to improve the game's MP. If not, Some of them just simply add addons to their server just to make it cooler.

Also, the 47th Battalion group im in, they have addons in ArmA 2 (but they provided the addons anyway for us to download).

So it all depends on the Host, usually alot of servers that have addons are Clans (which are members who have signed up on the server to be part of that Clan).

In my shoes, I would have a look at the latest addon that has been created for the community, I would further look in it and see if it would be useful for any missions (No effence, modders)

Hope all this information will help your problem.:)

Ranwer

JSRS and other gameplay mods dont need to be on the server in order to play with their features.

If a mission requires an addon/mod in it then it needs to be on the server.

If a server is running lets say a mission that has weapons and units from CWR2 in it, then you will not only need the mod on the server,

but you will need to join the server with the mod as well.