Sign in to follow this  
gneed

What is a "flashpoint"?

Don't throw rotten tomatoes at me for asking this:

There is one thing has bugged me ever since I began to play OFP last summer. What the heck is a "flashpoint", and in what way is that phenomenon related to The Best Computer Game Ever?

I have always thought that I would run across an answer to that question sooner or later, but apparently, I have not.

Could someone please be kind to relieve me from my ignorance?

wow.gif

Well, I guess it has something to do with the point of no return or something, but I guess BIS was just looking for a nice title and thus named it Operation: Flashpoint. It could also be the name of the Malden Islands operation (eg. the original campaign).

A flashpoint is used to describe an area in which it was a possibility that a major conflict could be sparked off. Erm to give an example The border between east and west Germany

A flashpoint is the temperature~ point when a (flamable) liquid will burst into flames. or the temperature point of anything bursting into flames.

It could mean one of two things when applied to OFP. It could be the muzzle flash of a gun being fired - hence the slogan "If You See The Flash You're Already Dead".

Also, the point of impact of a nuclear weapon is commonly known as the flash point. OFP involves the use of a SCUD launcher near the end of CWC. It could probably be why the game is called Operation Flashpoint - the operation to prevent the occurence of a nuclear flashpoint....?

Just some possibilities.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (You_looking_at_me? @ Aug. 13 2002,19:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A flashpoint is used to describe an area in which it was a possibility that a major conflict could be sparked off.<span id='postcolor'>

I think this is what BIS wanted to say with the title.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ Aug. 15 2002,22:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (You_looking_at_me? @ Aug. 13 2002,19:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A flashpoint is used to describe an area in which it was a possibility that a major conflict could be sparked off.<span id='postcolor'>

I think this is what BIS wanted to say with the title.<span id='postcolor'>

operation major conflict could be sparked off

cold war crisis

The flashpoint is too as the temperature... the flash that occur in a nuke explosion.

Well if u see it... u are really dead because u are in the direct radius of the hard ray.

http://www.dictionary.com definition:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

flash point also flash·point

n.

1. The lowest temperature at which the vapor of a combustible liquid can be made to ignite momentarily in air.

2. The point at which eruption into significant action, creation, or violence occurs: “The shootdown did not increase international tensions to the flash point†(Seymour M. Hersh).

<span id='postcolor'>

Acctually "if you see the flash its already too late" refers to the heat flash of a nuclear explosion. Because if you see the flash you're probably not dead acctually but certainly theres a possiblility.

The initial point in a nuclear explosion where the fision is starting to occur and the initial release of energy happens. Given off as a large bright "flash" of light and radiation this is what kills things close to the origin, more than the fireball. After the initial flash the air is superheated and the surrounding area is set on fire. Air turns to plasma and rises extremely quickly, cooling as it goes making a very purty orange cloud.

But the "flashpoint" is the initial burst of radiation at the start of fission.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Acctually "if you see the flash its already too late" refers to the heat flash of a nuclear explosion. Because if you see the flash you're probably not dead acctually but certainly theres a possiblility.<span id='postcolor'>

Could be true, but I think that that refers to a muzzle flash of a gun.

If you see the flash, then the bullet is going to smash you in the matter of

microseconds..

My personal opinion on name "flashpoint" is that it means, that things are

starting to explode, not literally. Like the war is beginning or so.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> the point of impact of a nuclear weapon is commonly known as the flash point<span id='postcolor'>

I've only ever heard it called 'Ground Zero'...

Its the point when something ignites. the maximum temperature before combustion.

Biz meant it to be the point when hostility breaks out..., but they did use the picture of a nuclear explosion when they used the 'if you see the flash , its already too late' comment wink.gif ... I think the game is leading up to the 'flashpoint' or trying to avoid it wink.gif ...

I think that "If you see the flash, its already tool late" means that if you see the flash from a nuclear bomb its already too late, because worldwar 3 has just started and now USA and Russia will start nuking eachother til the world is no more...

Or they could just mean, when you see the flash from a gun it's already too late biggrin.gif

This raised a new question for me...

"If U see the flash, it´s already too late..."

Too late for what? Bedtime? Dinner?

tounge.gif

There is a nuclear blast in the background during install when it says "If you see the flash, its already too late" I think.

It HAS to be the flash from a nuclear weapon the mean.

The world is gonna end and its too late to do anything about it.

For me its abvious that its about a nuclear blast and not the flash from a gun. In the 1985 campaign U do everything U can to prevent Guba from launching nuclear missiles..."if you see the flash, its already too late".

How did he get a hold of that thing anyway? I forgot were they tactical or strategic?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (InqWiper @ Aug. 16 2002,00:32)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">There is a nuclear blast in the background during install when it says "If you see the flash, its already too late" I think.<span id='postcolor'>

Nah, look at the trailer (of_finaltrialer.zip)

In the middle there is a sequence:

"watch!"

"listen!"

"run!"

"if you se the flash"

"it's already too late"

Then a gunshot is heard and the screen flashes to white.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sandman @ Aug. 15 2002,22:53)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"If U see the flash, it´s already too late..."

Too late for what? Bedtime? Dinner?<span id='postcolor'>

Too late to take cover?

Havn't seen the trailer, but in the install sequence there's a pic of a mushroom cloud and the words, 'if you see the flash, blah ,blah,blah..'

So BIS are obviosly pretty ambiguos about it wink.gif ...

to late to do 'owt about it. changing your pants that is!!...

The most logical possibility would be using the definition of flashpoint :

"The lowest temperature at which the vapor of a combustible liquid can be made to ignite momentarily in air.

The point at which eruption into significant action, creation, or violence occurs: “The shootdown did not increase international tensions to the flash pointâ€"

That flashpoint is in reference to a potential major conflict and that the phrase "When you see the flash, Its already too late" is in reference to if you see the flash of a flashpoint it is already to late to take action to stop said flashpoint from occuring.