Sign in to follow this  
no use for a name

Tweak the graphics presets!

Well, it's starts above 1GB and goes to 2,4-2,5GB, going up and down, but no lower than 1,2-1,3GB - ultra (except terrain on very high 'cause I don't see any difference), 4xAA, ATOC grass+tress, 5k view distance, 2k object distance, 1680x1050 (some bloom, no blur or DoF). As you can see, it can really make a difference at some point.

PS: RAM usage is goes to around 2GB, just in editor. In MP I saw around 2,3-2,5GB with 70 or 80+ players on the server.

Edited by calin_banc

"My thread was just a simple solution to a common problem with this game...new players expecting Arma to perform like 99% of other games (which it won't, ever)"

the flip side to that is bis not taking full advantage of modern technologies. multicore support is currently pathetic.

Well I can't argue with that, but if you looked at the link earlier in that post, you'd have seen that currently there's only so much they can do with adding multi-core support w/o breaking the game. I for one don't want to wait 2-3 years (or more) for a new engine...I may not even be alive by then.

Actual optimization of the game is a whole other issue, but luckily the game scales decently with the amount of graphics options. That's why I was simply suggesting fixing the presets to at least give a good first impression to new players.