Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

Visitor 3 background image not loading

Several other BMPs work, but not my sat_lco saved as a BMP. I'm pulling my hair out figuratively. I've saved it, reopened it, resized it. Tried putting it in my pictures folder on a different drive. Put it in the same folder as the .pew.

Is their a rgb bit depth or some sort of alpha channel limitation? Tried 8,16,24,32 bits. Also removed the alpha channel as well.

I've looked at the other threads with the same problem and have had no luck with just that one file. I even tried pasting it on to other images that work and merging the layers before exporting it back out to a BMP. Same deal. All I can see is the placement grid.

I don't fully understand your issue but when you import your sat_lco and mask_lco, they should be in .png and not .bmp and save them as 8 bits images.

I'm referencing the background tool feature of visitor. Everything is fine when I import the masks.

I'm referencing the background tool feature of visitor. Everything is fine when I import the masks.

I had similar problems, so just make sure as you have already done everything i can think of, which is, make sure its a bmp ( of course it is, but...), have it in the folder with the .pew which should be "P:/yourisland", make sure its the same size as the terrain (1024, 2048, 4096 etc), its transparency is set to 0 in the object window, and take not that when the object window drop down is set to 'Background Image' the background will show as a grid, change the drop down to something else i,e Natural Objects and the background image will be shown, that has gotten me a few times.

I tried all that with no luck. So weird! All I know is visitor is touchy as reported by others.

Thanks for the ideas though, I was able to load up my terrain and sat map in gimp and line them up. 12 gigs! :butbut: slow editing! 20480 x But got it lined up good.

Background image has to be smae folder has .pew IIRC or it doesnt laod

Yes...mine is in the same folder as the .pew and it still won't load.

Stnge one

without knowing where your a its difficult to say , are you with 20480 .bmp with 24 bits or ?

Try Bothe Pew and Background in the root rather than the Source folder or in the sourcefolder if already in the root folder

Hi Rip!! - Good to see you back!!

mine is in the same folder as the .pew and it still won't load.

This could be the problem...

Background images can be a little picky... Visitor can struggle a little with larger sizes, so I always try to keep my background guide images to around 10240x10240 at most - .bmp format is required - standard 24bit RGB....

One oddity about the procedure is that Visitor doesn't like to load images as backgrounds from your project folder...

Try dumping the image somewhere else - on the desktop or in a workfolder somewhere... Add the image to Visitor in the usual way... When you do - the whole view will seem to go all "grid" / "selected" and there's no sign of your image... That's OK! - Just hit "save" then quit and restart Visitor - reload your project and you'll find that not only is your background image in position, but Visitor has copied it to your project folder by itself!

You can then dump the desktop or workfolder version of the image - Visitor will use its own copy from now on...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

HI there

I think you can save the image and load the image using this method:

public static void SaveImageFile(REImage image, string filePath);

public static void SaveImageFile(REImage image, string filePath, BaseEncoder enc);