Sign in to follow this  
scaramoosh

When is this game going to be good?

Man, i love when you mention the bad preformance in ArmA 3, and people defend the game and say that the game is in Beta, and the release date is in like 2-3 days. It's like they think Bohemia will do something magic and release a update on 10 gb...

I don't think you really know what you are talking about.

You must have missed the previous pages of this thread, the other dozen of similar threads we have on this forum, and the most voted JIRA entry. Surely your game is doing 120fps in the dark of your room. :)

Man, i love when you mention the bad preformance in ArmA 3, and people defend the game and say that the game is in Beta, and the release date is in like 2-3 days. It's like they think Bohemia will do something magic and release a update on 10 gb...

It releases tmrrw and the biggest update will be for ppl not on dev branch already. Yet ppl still say it's beta, the game isn't even out yet, wait till the game comes out:confused:

Hello there

The RV engine has never been super duper fast on many systems.

My rig is distinctly mid to low end and A3, for me both in SP and MP seems to run a little more smoothly than A2. So, from mine and many others' perspectives it been nicely "optimised". (I loathe to use that word)

Are there issues? Obviously yes, but also remember folk who are having great fps and no issues are likely NOT to post about it in great numbers.

The majority of the chaps I know online aren't having any issues either, whereas a few of them are having issues still with Red Orchestra 2. Its horses for courses.

The PC is such a differing beast that its neigh impossible to cover every setup and situation.

I couldn't run A2 or OFP for some time after release but patches soon solved all my issues.

Report problems etc, thats great and needed, but we really need to wait for release and post release to see if issues are going to be there for the foreseeable future.

Just slating the game as "unoptimised" is a little off IMHO.

Rgds

LoK

I love when people complain about the bad performance & make threads about it everyday. I wish every person that runs the game smoothly would make a thread about it, so we could all see just how "bad" the game performs for the overall player base. Is the game demanding? yes. Is the game optimized to the maximum potential? No. Does it run smoothly on many peoples machines? Yes. Does it run poorly for others? Yes. Has this always been the case with this franchise? yes. Pound for pound, does Arma3 run more smoothly than any previous Beta/release? Imo... Yes.

The game technically is in beta. Regardless how you see it, early release form then... w/e. With every patch the game will get more optimized. It's pointless to complain about a beta's optimization.

actually its weird, ive noticed when im playing no matter what server, i do really rarely see anyone complain about low fps, bad performance etc. Only at forums. Maybe people with low fps, are just only few?

actually its weird, ive noticed when im playing no matter what server, i do really rarely see anyone complain about low fps, bad performance etc. Only at forums. Maybe people with low fps, are just only few?

Or because everyone already knows how bad it runs on MP and complaining in-game won't solve anything.

But I'm happy to be running quite well (on my standards) the game on my machine: E8400 Stock, HD4830, 4Gb. Running better than A2!

Maybe people with low fps, are just only few?

It's the opposite, for many ppl 20-30fps are enough, because their hardware isn't capable of doing more (in other games as well). The problem is having a monster PC but doing the same FPS of a mid-low configuration, this exposes the flaws of the engine: no matter what hardware you have, the game is not capable of taking advantage of it.

Personally I find my movements appropriate. But then I don't load myself up with all kinds of stuff, I don't really play those "here's a free & unlimited weapon store" type scenarios. I just never have wandered into that scenario where I have loads of ridiculous stuff, just the mission designed loadouts. I might argue that makes a difference, that the type & design of missions is a great part of how "realistic" any mission scenario is, but I take the point on extreme loadouts. Personally, I don't see it as a problem because I so rarely see it in practice. For me it's one of those "...but someone might...." things.

So are you making sure you are not moving mouse too fast when prone/high-prone sitting/laying on the side too?

People who do insta-180 degree turns while sprinting full speed just exploit the game, it's not game's fault right?

It releases tmrrw and the biggest update will be for ppl not on dev branch already. Yet ppl still say it's beta, the game isn't even out yet, wait till the game comes out:confused:

I know. But still, many thinks that the game will become uber-optimized tomorrow.. which we know wont happen..

I love when people complain about the bad performance & make threads about it everyday. I wish every person that runs the game smoothly would make a thread about it, so we could all see just how "bad" the game performs for the overall player base. Is the game demanding? yes. Is the game optimized to the maximum potential? No. Does it run smoothly on many peoples machines? Yes. Does it run poorly for others? Yes. Has this always been the case with this franchise? yes. Pound for pound, does Arma3 run more smoothly than any previous Beta/release? Imo... Yes.

The game technically is in beta. Regardless how you see it, early release form then... w/e. With every patch the game will get more optimized. It's pointless to complain about a beta's optimization.

Does it run smoothly on many peoples machines? Yes

Define "smoothly" please. All depends of how many you are on a server, etc. I can also say that my game runs smootlhy, in editor... :)

So are you making sure you are not moving mouse too fast when prone/high-prone sitting/laying on the side too?

People who do insta-180 degree turns while sprinting full speed just exploit the game, it's not game's fault right?

I'm just playing the game & having a great time without weeping uncontrollably every time I turn. Or cowering in fear because someone else might be turning too fast.

I know. But still, many thinks that the game will become uber-optimized tomorrow.. which we know wont happen..

Define "smoothly" please. All depends of how many you are on a server, etc. I can also say that my game runs smootlhy, in editor... :)

Smoothly. As in no lag. You're right, the editor on a clean map is very smooth. It's also up to the persons hosting the servers and making maps to make sure things are optimized. I can play with 50+ people in MP just fine if the missions scripts, the mission itself, is optimized & the server is good. Too many people go to packed servers (good & bad servers) and play unoptimized missions & then come here and complain at BIS. Just because they can't run their game on Ultra + 10k VD, on a shit server that's packed to the brim, playing a cluster fuck of a mission. Yeah there's going to be lag.

I'm not saying the game's optimized to what it should be, I'm just saying some people are placing the blame in the wrong place. The game has always been taxing yes. The game has always been a huge sandbox aswell.

Edited by David77

" When is this game going to be good? "

When the good mods gets released. The "Life mods" which you could call the GTA mods of ARMA and the PvP mods like "Tactical Battlefield" and "Project reality" which in a way are similar to BF3 but a bit more complex and usually a lot more teamwork orientated. Those are the mods that work pretty good in Public games. For the rest its best to just join a community for mods like "ACE".

then your speakers are off or you not watching the text...last night was the first good night in a long time...the mission had us going from place to place (red squares) to take it over from AI, my FPS WAS 32-44 but I suspect it was from the fact that very little action was happening :) but i have been on the same server (different mission) with everyone asking how long has the server been running? because people are getting 15-20 FPS and of course the Im sorry guys i have to restart the server...sit tight

---------- Post added at 01:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:59 ----------

Smoothly. As in no lag. You're right, the editor on a clean map is very smooth. It's also up to the persons hosting the servers and making maps to make sure things are optimized. I can play with 50+ people in MP just fine if the missions scripts, the mission itself, is optimized & the server is good. Too many people go to packed servers (good & bad servers) and play unoptimized missions & then come here and complain at BIS. Just because they can't run their game on Ultra + 10k VD, on a shit server that's packed to the brim, playing a cluster fuck of a mission. Yeah there's going to be lag.

I'm not saying the game's optimized to what it should be, I'm just saying some people are placing the blame in the wrong place. The game has always been taxing yes. The game has always been a huge sandbox aswell.

no you have it wrong allow me to correct you...people are not complaining about the game running like crap...there complaining about it running like crap because half there hardware is not being used (cpu cores)...if it was a matter of the engine taxing the hardware beyond capacity we would all just upgrade....but unfortunately the reverse is true :(

then your speakers are off or you not watching the text...last night was the first good night in a long time...the mission had us going from place to place (red squares) to take it over from AI, my FPS WAS 32-44 but I suspect it was from the fact that very little action was happening :) but i have been on the same server (different mission) with everyone asking how long has the server been running? because people are getting 15-20 FPS and of course the Im sorry guys i have to restart the server...sit tight

---------- Post added at 01:05 ---------- Previous post was at 00:59 ----------

no you have it wrong allow me to correct you...people are not complaining about the game running like crap...there complaining about it running like crap because half there hardware is not being used (cpu cores)...if it was a matter of the engine taxing the hardware beyond capacity we would all just upgrade....but unfortunately the reverse is true :(

Ahh. Well every thread I see is about "I get 17fps (it's always 17 for some reason) on my 6000$ alienware. How come I can't run the game on ultra with 10k vd? My computer should be able to handle the 1200, non cached, Ai running amuck on this poorly optimized map & this bad server". Not utilizing all of the hardware is nothing new in this franchise..

Edited by David77

I really think people should clarify if they are talking about game performance, e.g. framerate, or server performance, e.g. lag/latency.

I'm just playing the game & having a great time without weeping uncontrollably every time I turn. Or cowering in fear because someone else might be turning too fast.

sounds more like not really caring about realism to me.

I really think people should clarify if they are talking about game performance, e.g. framerate, or server performance, e.g. lag/latency.

that is what causing the FPS issues...the server is trying to sync a crap load of info (480Mbps for me alone on a CTI mission) which stress's the server (CORE 0) adding latency to the client resulting in less information to render which translate to tanking FPS. The amount of info would not be that big of a deal if the engine could handle it.

---------- Post added at 02:22 ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 ----------

Ahh. Well every thread I see is about "I get 17fps (it's always 17 for some reason) on my 6000$ alienware. How come I can't run the game on ultra with 10k vd? My computer should be able to handle the 1200, non cached, Ai running amuck on this poorly optimized map & this bad server". Not utilizing all of the hardware is nothing new in this franchise..

you just spoke volumes :)