Sign in to follow this  
scaramoosh

When is this game going to be good?

My problem with it is there is no structure, it's sort of like a map where you just let players do what they want with it. Now this is great in concept but it just leads to 99% of the servers being complete garbage, the game isn't fun to play. I've only have 1 or 2 great experiences and those were months apart, it just takes too long to get anything good going on in this game and I end up just not bothering. It's why I liked Dayz because it put structure into ARMA 2, made it simple to just get in and play and not have to spend ages looking for a good server with something going on. If I'm honest the only reason I bought this game was the hope of Dayz being ported to the main island. However I have genuinely tried to play it as an ARMA game....... sadly though it's just too time consuming to try and find fun gameplay on a server.

The biggest issue is I have a 780, 4770K, 16GB ram, installed to an SSD, an Asus D2X sound card and I'm only running at 1080p. However for some reason the game runs at 30fps and if I go into a town it's down to 13fps. The whole point of this new engine was to make the game fun better and it just runs worse than ARMA 2, even worse than Dayz. Every time I see the words "CPU Heavy" I run a mile because why would you go CPU heavy? GPUs are like 10 times more powerful and games like BF3 and Crysis 3 prove you can make an amazing looking game and have it running at 100+ fps. I'm sick of the excuses of it being a large island...... fuck all is going on in it and it's not all rendered at the same time. GTA V is a massive land mass and oh look that runs well on console hardware that's 8 years old at this point and it looks amazing as well. If I look at my hardware usage while I'm playing the game isn't heavy on anything, it's just poorly optimized. If you cannot make a game run well on top of the line hardware from today, then you've failed, buy an engine that actually works....

This whole game is a complete let down for me, it's failed to be quite honest and I see so many assets that were from ARMA 2, in fact the game looks like ARMA 2 with new lighting.

All I can do now is wait and hope someone makes a good mod so I haven't completely wasted my money.

It's a sandbox game. The game relies on it's community to make content. The game is still in beta. The game is CPU heavy because the AI aren't scripted, they essentially have a brain.

Edited by David77

It's a sandbox game. The game relies on it's community to make content. The game is still in beta. The game is CPU heavy because the AI aren't scripted, they essentially have a brain.

Still, the MP performance is worse than in ArmA2, atleast for me. SP is fine.

Still, the MP performance is worse than in ArmA2, atleast for me. SP is fine.

still, depends on the server you join.

Nope, you cannot.

I believe he's referring to the ACE mod, where you could take 2 primaries, One in your hands and one in your "on back" slot

Edited by Tacti-Cool
typo

do you have a server?

Wut? People are actually saying that movement in arma 2 was better than in arma 3? Why? How?

I only remember "ok, steady now, take one step forward while crouched" and then the game is like "NO I THINK YOU WANTED TO RUN A FEW STEPS OUT OF THE COVER" *BLAM*

Wut? People are actually saying that movement in arma 2 was better than in arma 3? Why? How?

People say all kinds of weird stuff on this forum :D

Arma 3 is a step back from Arma 2 in many ways, movement is not one of them. Arma 2 movement was very bad.

Framerate should really not be dependent on the server. And if that's the case then I would argue that it is evidence of a pretty major design flaw.

I may be in the minority but I love playing Wasteland. For me its a blast. Sure there are some nights where you get a server full of people who refuse to work together but lately more often than thought it has been enjoyable. What I love about this game (and this is my first experience with the Arma series) is that there is something for everybody. You have game mods where you can play online and work together. Wasteland where you fight for survival. An amazing community that creates some outstanding solo scenarios. Its something many games cannot provide.

Framerate should really not be dependent on the server. And if that's the case then I would argue that it is evidence of a pretty major design flaw.

Unfortunately it is partly dependent on the server and this is so even on other games though not as clearly evident as other games do not stress servers so badly or sessions do not last long enough to show the symptoms. If someone does not have a server set up properly or if the mission it is running is scripted poorly it can effect the client's performance as well. You'll notice this particularly when you experience bad fps where can't get more than 25fps (or less) even when you look straight up at the sky and the flush command isn't buying you any slack. This can also happen if a large mission has been running for too long.

I only remember "ok, steady now, take one step forward while crouched" and then the game is like "NO I THINK YOU WANTED TO RUN A FEW STEPS OUT OF THE COVER" *BLAM*

People say all kinds of weird stuff on this forum :D

Arma 3 is a step back from Arma 2 in many ways, movement is not one of them. Arma 2 movement was very bad.

Indeed people do say many strange things here :) the movement is one of many great improvements in ArmA. So much improvement. OK so people complain about fast turning speeds in prone, that may or may not be an issue, but it's by no means a gamebreaking issue. They still need situational awareness to make that any kind of advantage. It's still more than possible to move up to such a guy and retain advantage. Fast spinning (IMO) replicates an ability to quickly get your gun around in whatever fashion you can - as you might do "IRL". It might not look like prone spinning IRL but you have to apply some amount of abstraction, always.

Its not like you can spin and insta-snipe, which is the fear of some people.

Right... that so happened. If you tried to go prone, it would often step forward.

Movement might be ok in Arma 3. It's just that the animations are stiff, and the turn speed is ridiculous.

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 AM ----------

Indeed people do say many strange things here :) .

Can we please respect the fact that some people perceive things different than you do ? Bollocks like "people say strange things" can also applied to some people over-optimistic ramblings, so in that respect, everyone says strange things here.

I OK so people complain about fast turning speeds in prone, that may or may not be an issue, but it's by no means a gamebreaking issue.

It's ridiculous. The same level of ridiculous like the fact that you can move the same, no matter what you are carrying (all 150 kg), no matter what weapon you have, and you can do 180 degree turns while sprinting. This is absolutely ridiculous and the whole movement is game breaking. Yeah, individual components might not, but the whole movement is.

But then, I'm strange, right ? Just because I don't like the robotic animations and the ridiculous way you can move in this game

Can we please respect the fact that some people perceive things different than you do ? Bollocks like "people say strange things" can also applied to some people over-optimistic ramblings, so in that respect, everyone says strange things here.

Hey look I'm only agreeing to a comment :) in which, you may notice, all people are included. You're a little quick off the mark to accept insults today I think ;) relax. No-one insults you without your permission. Or something.

It's ridiculous. The same level of ridiculous like the fact that you can move the same, no matter what you are carrying (all 150 kg), no matter what weapon you have, and you can do 180 degree turns while sprinting. This is absolutely ridiculous and the whole movement is game breaking. Yeah, individual components might not, but the whole movement is.

Personally I find my movements appropriate. But then I don't load myself up with all kinds of stuff, I don't really play those "here's a free & unlimited weapon store" type scenarios. I just never have wandered into that scenario where I have loads of ridiculous stuff, just the mission designed loadouts. I might argue that makes a difference, that the type & design of missions is a great part of how "realistic" any mission scenario is, but I take the point on extreme loadouts. Personally, I don't see it as a problem because I so rarely see it in practice. For me it's one of those "...but someone might...." things.

But then, I'm strange, right ? Just because I don't like the robotic animations and the ridiculous way you can move in this game

As per the first part of my post ;)

Prove it. Give us a server where we can play at 60+ fps (never drop below 60 fps) with 64 players aboard (assuming you have some good hardware). Until then, please do not spread false information: people will loose their time searching for a "magic" server; but more important, it won't help to fix this game.

do you have a server?

Why you asking that, it's totally irrelevant to the point neuro is getting at.

People always complain about this franchise being so demanding and unoptimized. It's just to bad no other full scale war sand box game exists...

People always complain about this franchise being so demanding and unoptimized

It's even worse than this.. with a demanding a/o not optimized game, you can pump your hardware to the sky (spending crazy money) until you'll reach the desired performances, with A3 you can't. It's not demanding or not optimized: it's bugged (that is something different).

It's even worse than this.. with a demanding a/o not optimized game, you can pump your hardware to the sky (spending crazy money) until you'll reach the desired performances, with A3 you can't. It's not demanding or not optimized: it's bugged (that is something different).

I don't think you really know what you are talking about.

So A3 runs A2 better and more beatiful than A2 and everything is worst. Hmm...

I don't think you really know what you are talking about.

I'm pretty damned sure he doesn't know what he's talking about :)

The ArmA engine is doing more, far far more than other game engines already. It is already highly optimised in that it does all it does and is still playable, which is kind of amazing really.

well, there are many wasteland servers. Just join all of them, and measure your performance. You can clearly notice, where the server is fucked, just by doing a quick run test. You wanna say, all servers have bad performance and lags? You better prove it to me.

Still, it was and it is different / more noticeable than in ArmA2. Are you saying that all arma3 servers have bad hardware? I can play complex missions in ArmA2 in MP just fine.

there are many non dedicated, or purely optimized server. Since this game is not even out yet, and lots of serious hosters, are not there yet.

Why you asking that, it's totally irrelevant to the point neuro is getting at.

i wanted to see what kinda of extensive test he has been doing on his own server to come to this conclusion.....