Sign in to follow this  
ryaneu

Tweaking my in-game video settings have no effect on FPS

Is it only me that tweaking my in-game video settings have no effect on FPS?

I initially use the autodetect setting and it sets my overall quality to ultra, which makes all or most of the individual settings to maximum.

Then I proceed to turning down the indivual settings like texture quality to very high and the rest of the settings to high, but without touching the resolution.

Basically no matter how I tweak or turn down most of the settings, my FPS still remains at the same value.

Anyone can explain why I am getting this behaviour?

My system:

Intel Core i5 3570

MSi gtx 660 ti PE/OC

8gb ram

windows 8 64bit

1. What framerate are you seeing after autodetect? (Before you change the settings.)

2. Where/how are you testing the framerate? (Editor, multiplayer, main menu?)

Getting around 30 fps in Altis, Invade & Annex multiplayer mission.

No matter how I change the settings, fps remains at the same value of 30.

Getting around 30 fps in Altis, Invade & Annex multiplayer mission.

No matter how I change the settings, fps remains at the same value of 30.

You should be lucky you're even getting 30fps, most get 5-15 on such MP missions, especially wasteland. Anything above 24 frames should be more than playable, especially with post-process settings enabled.

Yes I am using vsync because I can't stand any screen tearing. Had to enable it.

Yes I am using vsync because I can't stand any screen tearing. Had to enable it.

You’re having screen-tearing because your computer is running the game so well that your monitor can’t keep up pretty much.

What enabling V-sync does is it locks your framerate to exactly 30 or 60 which are numbers your monitor can comfortably view.

Sooo… it SHOULD lock it to 60 but for some reason it does 30 instead.

Try offing it and using Afterburner or NVidia CP to lock V-sync instead.

Edited by Sneakson

I always disable v-sync, any tearing problems (don’t really get much) and I use msi afterburner to adjust fps level. Suppose you could use that, disable v-sync in-game and use msi set to 60fps should allow fps movement upwards without tearing, maybe.

Worth a try, perhaps.

8-60 fps for me, it fluctuates so much its madnenning, shame there is no silver bullet, if there was one thing that was causing the issue you could possibly deal with that, like move the map to ramdrive, move the 'whatever is causing slumps' to memory, higher the program in CPU presence that's needing more work, move more textures to GPU...

Game is immersive in most aspects until it chuggs to nothing.

multiplayer fps is terrible sometimes, if you're in singleplayer the "object viewdistance" has the most effect on framerate, unless you've got 200 ai in combat, in that case nothing helps.

I always disable v-sync, any tearing problems (don’t really get much) and I use msi afterburner to adjust fps level. Suppose you could use that, disable v-sync in-game and use msi set to 60fps should allow fps movement upwards without tearing, maybe.

Worth a try, perhaps.

Use the new engine triple buffering to have V-sync without locked FPS below 60.

Add this line below "vsync=1;" in your Arma3.cfg in Documents/ArmA3 folder:

"tripleBuffering=1;"

It was added in yesterdays dev patch I believe according to Dwarden and I've been using it in great success to reduce screen tearing with v-sync.

Also v-sync sync's your rendered frames to your monitor's refresh rate, the only reason it limits to 60 is because that is your monitor's max refresh rate. if it was 75hz it would limit at 75 fps and so on... It's not the same as just setting a limit of 60 fps because the problem isn't the rendered frame speed as much as it is syncing it to display and update in time with your monitors refresh rate.