Sign in to follow this  
avibird 1

Who is staying with ARMA2 and what scripts/mod/missions will not be converted to A3

With ARMA3 just around the corner for release I was wondering How many people are still going to stay with ARMA2 for a while. What % of the great community modders/scipters are going to stay with ARMA2 because right now I am not interested in ARMA3. I still have so much to do with ARMA2 at this time. I know there will be some new awesome scripts/mod/missions for ARMA3 and a good number of ARMA2 scripts/mod/missions will be converted to Arma3. Could we start a list of know scripts/mod/missions that will or will not be in ARMA3.

1. Domination will not!

I am going to stick with ArmA 2 for now. I think ArmA 3 would be too much of a change for me, especially since I'm a relatively new player when it comes to this series. I also have already established my current squad as an ArmA 2 group and we would probably lose several members if we switched now.

For the foreseeable future (Steam only, no thanks) Arma II will remain the game to play and create content for on my part. There is still plently of scope to create missions and other content for that installment of the series.

Regards,

Sander

I will sightsee in A3 but play A2. At the moment, A2 is still head and shoulders above A3 for realistic game-play.

ArmA 3 - steam exclusive only, same as sander . . . no thanks!!!!!! So many stuff created by our fellow Modders which we can't just let go to waste. ArmA 2 until I'll loose interest or get bored.

cheers

Why not both? Arma 2 will be relevant for years to come, but Arma 3 will offer some new experiences.

Why not both? Arma 2 will be relevant for years to come, but Arma 3 will offer some new experiences.

Mainly because of Steam and the unrealistic elements, in my opinion. The only reason I've chosen the ArmA series over any other is because it's authentic and it encourages team work. I'm not sure yet if I can say the same about the new installment.

Staying away because of Steam is just plain silly.

Steam is quite unnecessary and offers no functionality that I would desire. It violates some sound core principles of computing, minimality and least privilege, and introduces a security risk aside from the infringement of customer and content creator rights. While I'll revell in my Arma II silliness I would suggest you acquire some more basic insight into how computing works. It could prove most enlightening.

Regards,

Sander

Steam is quite unnecessary and offers no functionality that I would desire. It violates some sound core principles of computing, minimality and least privilege, and introduces a security risk aside from the infringement of customer and content creator rights. While I'll revell in my Arma II silliness I would suggest you acquire some more basic insight into how computing works. It could prove most enlightening.

Regards,

Sander

While I believe that may be true, the decision to go with Steam was a financial one I think, which to be honest, may have kept the series alive.

So whilst agreeing with some of what you say, I think its probably a good move for BIS.

I never used Steam until A3, but since I loaded it, seems o.k. I would of course had preferred not to have it, but needs must.

A3 just isn’t as good as A2 for realistic game-play, that’s the only reason I wouldn’t play A3 more. There will be as many mod/addons for A3 as A2 a year or two down the road. I know that's not the point and I understand some mod/addon makers view's, but BI is a business and they need to survive and make themselves even more successful, so I also understand their position too..

I will probably play and develop missions for both. However, my main focus is also still on Arma 2, for the same reasons ChrisB outlined. I'm not so much bothered by Steam (Although I agree that it doesn't really add much value right now).

I too understand the course BIS was taking from a commercial standpoint, although it bothers me that some things could have been easily changed (like the medic system, the current one is simple and I refuse to believe that anything more complex would have been impossible).

...I would suggest you acquire some more basic insight into how computing works. It could prove most enlightening.

Regards,

Sander

I built my first computer in 1983.

I would suggest not assuming things about people you do not know.

Love,

Harzach

I'm most likely sticking with A2. I might play A3 a bit but I can't imagine playing it that much. All the fun Cold War stuff is in A2.

I'm using both A2+A3 and will keep doing it for a long while.ACO aged good,the graphics are very fine even for these days and with a lot of community content(that I doubt all of it will find it's way in A3) and plenty of bugfixes with the patches I see no reason to abandon the older game.

Running both it's the best setup for me,A2 for what it is and A3 for the future stuff which I'm a sucker for it.

ATM I find myself running A3 just because I wasted (thus far I think so) 100 bucks on a SE.

For most of the time I still play OFP just because IMO no ArmA comes even close to modded out OFP.

For COOP and new/old but good addons (like CWR2, Caribou Frontier, ICEs islands, PRACS, RHS and MUCH MUCH more) ArmA 2 is THE platform.

PS - Cold War stuff kicks arse! I do own some items like TLBV, LC2 systems and a lot of other stuff for airsoft and as props for filmmaking.

All that "high speed - low drag" shit just got too mainstream after all the Modern Warfarts. ;)

Personally whilst I cannot really stand ArmA 2 any more compared to how fluid ArmA 3 is I think I will be sticking around for a few more months at least. Just till (if?) a lot of stuff comes out for ArmA 3.

Regards,

Sander

Please enlighten us, I think of myself as quite well versed with computers and computing (and steam for that matter) and I do not see any major issue with steam. I admit it has some flaws but at the end of the day the benefits outweigh the problems, for both user and developer.

That is not an assumption, it is an observation based on your dismissal of real issues. The date at which knowledge is acquired and the depth are two separate matters, they should not be mistaken to equate.

---

For example on the security side:

Security breach

Vulnerability

Exploit in the wild

Going Steam only removes the choice to avoid this unnecessary bloatware and the additional risks it introduces while offering no functionality that compensates. It could be happily avoided earlier in the series without a problem, but now the only remaining choice is to stay clear altogether.

Regards,

Sander

Have you ever used a credit card? Have you ever used an ATM? You are exposing yourself to risks at least as, if not more, real than those you have listed.

The world is not a safe place, but there is a difference between vigilance and tinfoilhat-ism. I prefer to be vigilant and enjoy what life has to offer. Others chose fear.

Please let's not discuss Steam here, we've done that already to death in the other threads. Everyone of us so called "Steamhaters" has it's own reason, myself included.

Now given the fact that I don't purchase ArmA 3 I'm sticking to ArmA 2. The main reason is also all the nice Mods we have at our disposal.

What is actually kinda sad to me is the fact that every new game iteration, all the MODs created for the former version are just sitting there without being used anymore. The community naturally moves on, which is normal, it happened every time . . . I'm long enough around here to be able to confirm that.

Most MODs are then hastily finished and released. problem is that nobody creates missions anymore for the MODs created and all the hard work of our modders is gone some kind of waste IMHO. It must be some kind of frustrating for Modders to deal with the situation that every time they are coming to a release, a new game version comes out and all the effort they have put into their work is barely used.

I know that a lot of modders are doing it for themselves in the first place, I do the same . . . but when released to the community it's nice to see that people are using your stuff to create missions or campaigns and play them.

I still have some unfinished ArmA 2 projects. The main point to be seen is . . whether there is enough motivation left to finish a project when the most part of the community moved on to the new game.

regards :)

The main point to be seen is . . whether there is enough motivation left to finish a project when the most part of the community moved on to the new game.

regards :)

As long as the fun is here :)

compared to how fluid ArmA 3 is

ARGH, the F-Word again :)

While I mostly mod for Arma 3 these days (if at all), I am going to stick mostly with playing Arma 2. Fluidity in movement in Arma 3 to me just feels wrong and artificial, and given how FAK'ed up (pun intended) the first aid system is, it will take a while until I consider abandoning Arma 2 for this. I might be playing both, but I am quite sure the majority of my time will be spent in Arma 2 for the foreseeable future - Arma 3 SUCKS at realism, and if you value that part, then Arma 3 so far loses over Arma 2.

I might be playing both, but I am quite sure the majority of my time will be spent in Arma 2 for the foreseeable future...

I would imagine this is a popular sentiment. Arma 2 has so much to offer - the community content that has been released this month alone is jaw-dropping. I'd guess that in a year or so, once things get ironed out (officially or unofficially) and certain assets and systems are available, more "serious" players and communities will begin considering the move to Arma 3.

I get it people don't like steam! I don't really understand why! Does steam make the game play different now. I am not a steam type of guy I still get a paycheck over direct deposit and I still like to have a hard copy of a game vs DL copy. Steam type services is the future of gaming but this is not my point of this thread. I have not played arma3 still have a lot of things to complete and try with arma2. Some of you talk about the unrealistic elements like the medical system and the player movements are better but feel wrong? How many mod's and scripts will not be ported over due to personal reasons or programming issues with code that can't be coverted to arma3.

1. Domination will not. (Confirmed)

2. Cold war mod will not. ( I read)

3. DAC?

4. ACE?

5. Warefare?

6. What islands?

7. ect.

What is so wrong about the medical system that can't be fix with a mod or arma3 update.

One of my issues with Bi arma2 medical issues is that a friendly AI medic who is right next to you will watch you die!

Edited by AVIBIRD 1

I submit that nearly everyone who has A2 and has played it a lot will stick with it for the foreseeable future, regardless of whether they have purchased A3 or not. I certainly will. For me, the main reasons are

1. the paucity of official A3 mission content*
  2. factions in A2 that you "know" and care about** (US, Russia, Afghan/Iraq-like Taki factions, scruffy CDF/Napa rebels, etc), compared to generic or unknown A3 factions that seem like robots which have come out of a can
  3. dense forests and undergrowth of Chernarus and Lingor, etc. ;)
  4. CWR2 mod will most likely not be ported to A3

*I've already finished all A3 showcase missions on Veteran quite a while ago, and 4 more will be available on release, but no campaign (very big WTF). When the campaign installments start coming out, I will play them with great interest and an optimistic, hopeful outlook. I am rather disgusted that A3 contains mindless firing drills and so few missions. I hope very much that the BIS playable content team, after finishing the campaign, will keep on cranking out high quality missions, as the new A3 environments and engine deserve a LOT MORE official content. Yes I can start investigating user missions, but I usually don't do that for 6 months after a game is released, and I am not interested in a crapshoot of finding good missions amidst the bad. BIS has the most talented and creative Arma mission designers in the world, correct? :rolleyes:

In A2, there were many scenarios, nearly all of which were worth playing and lots of fun (with the notable exception of the disastrously broken Freedom Fighters mission by A3 lead Joris :(:eek:). In A3, there will be 12 "showcases" on full release, which is NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH, especially with no campaign. The term "showcase," especially within the Alpha and Beta, connotes a "demo" highlighting certain new aspects of the game and engine. It is now clear that the showcases ARE the official scenarios for A3. The use of the term "showcase" for the missions in the full release is confusing to me, as it appears gimmicky rather than the real deal.

The fact that several of the showcases were poorly designed*** (Infantry, Combined Arms) adds to the need for more interesting SP missions, although some of the showcase issues are related to AI problems, particularly with friendly AI ineffectiveness.

**This may change after campaign in which we become more familiar with the factions and hopefully start to care about them.

***But still, much fun can be had with all showcases, it's just that the tactical learning curve can be steep, leading to great frustrations the first 10 times they are played. I just won Combined Arms on Elite, and had a good time.

Edited by OMAC

I get it people don't like steam! I don't really understand why! Does steam make the game play different now. I am not a steam type of guy I still get a paycheck over direct deposit and I still like to have a hard copy of a game vs DL copy. Steam type services is the future of gaming but this is not my point of this thread. I have not played arma3 still have a lot of things to complete and try with arma2. Some of you talk about the unrealistic elements like the medical system and the player movements are better but feel wrong? How many mod's and scripts will not be ported over due to personal reasons or programming issues with code that can't be coverted to arma3.

1. Domination will not. (Confirmed)

2. Cold war mod will not. ( I read)

3. DAC?

4. ACE?

5. Warefare?

6. What islands?

7. ect.

What is so wrong about the medical system that can't be fix with a mod or arma3 update.

One of my issues with Bi arma2 medical issues is that a friendly AI medic who is right next to you will watch you die!

Well I don't know if Snkman is still active and therefore DAC is a big question mark.

Xeno (Ace) has announced he won't develop for A3 I don't know how many ACE developers are left and if they have intentions to make an ACE version for ArmA3

Warfare---- No idea

Islands - Yeah I believe there will be some. Then there's AIA . . . so why you worry?