Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW CIVS: ambient civilians and traffic for Arma 3

If you install the addon as per the instructions in the 1st post, it will just run in every mission, no scripting required.

Cheers for getting back to me, now I'm gonna go drive around an check this out :)

tpw et al,

are we open to discussion on how the commandeering works? This is not a request to remove it, just maybe slow it down a bit, and put more control of my character back into my hands. IMHO, the immersion works best when the automated actions on my character are the least.

If I use the commandeering addaction as it is, the civ driver is forced out, and I am straight-away put into the vehicle. Even if I'm actually standing like 15'feet' away from the vehicle, I'm teleported to entering the vehicle.

What if instead - we pretended that the commandeering command was really just us saying "Step out of the vehicle!", and they get out. Like we're at a road-side checkpoint or something. THEN, if I want to get in and drive, it's up to me to walk over and get in. Perhaps a bit less of a cut-scene type of feel to it, and a bit more control back into my hands.

Just a thought. Thanks for reading.

Holy moley! I didn't even realize commandeering was possible until tonight! Usually, I lay in the middle of the road and snipe drivers as they approach. LOL. This is a much less psychotic way of getting around Altis (unless you get in the vehicle, and THEN commandeer it. Watch the driver's body fly out of the car as you speed along...FANTASTIC!!)

TPW CIVS v1.12: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS.zip

Changes:

- Ambient aircraft flybys added.

So here's the latest thing crossed off my CIVS to-do list. Once in a while a heli or jet will fly past from a random direction, sometimes directly overhead, other times off in the distance. Just adds a little more life to the area, mainly from the sound.

@R.Flagg, my original commandeering code just had the civs get out, and you then decided what to do. Unfortunately the bastards kept trying to get back in before I could. I'll think about it some more.

I take it the jets are setcaptive to avoid them engaging ?

Yep, as per bis_fnc_ambientflyby.

Yay on the boats!

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Oh and is it possible to randomize how many civs spawn per vehicle?

Just more amazing work. I really wouldn't have cared as much in previous Arma's because civ cars just seemed so lame but in Arma3 it's just a blast to watch those city box trucks kinda tip when taking corners or the immersion of far away headlights going up a distant mountain at night. The absolute best thing about it is when your just messing around in the editor maybe just checking out a few units when now the world doesn't feel like this empty, sterile place.

Good stuff!

My first message on this forum!

These scripts are awesome! Before them I had been manually adding civilians with waypoints to my missions, so having this automated makes it much easier and more immersive to me. :)

Can you make the air script use the included civilian skins for the helicopters? I know that there are at least 5 different civilian skins for the helos, 2 for the Hummingbird, 2 for the Mohawk and one for the Orca. You could also remove the benches from hummingbirds and add doors to make them more civilian like. Here's an example how to do it:

this animate ["addDoors",1];
this animate ["addBackseats",1];
this animate ["addTread",0];
this animate ["addBenches",0];
this animate ["addCivilian_hide",1];
{this lockCargo [_x, true];} forEach [2,3,4,5];

And here are the textures:

// Red-white Hummingbird 
this setObjectTexture [0,"\A3\Air_F\Heli_Light_01\Data\heli_light_01_ext_co.paa";

// Blue-white Hummingbird
this setObjectTexture [0,"\A3\Air_F\Heli_Light_01\Data\heli_light_01_ext_blue_co.paa";

// White-blue Orca
this setObjectTexture [0,"A3\Air_F\Heli_Light_02\Data\heli_light_02_ext_civilian_co.paa";

// Black-white Mohawk
this setObjectTexture [0,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_1_ion_co.paa"];
this setObjectTexture [1,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_2_ion_co.paa"];
this setObjectTexture [2,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_3_ion_co.paa"];

// Green-white Mohawk
this setObjectTexture [0,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_1_dahoman_co.paa"];
this setObjectTexture [1,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_2_dahoman_co.paa"];
this setObjectTexture [2,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_3_dahoman_co.paa"];

Of course these work only from the init line with 'this' in them.

Also, I noticed that the tpw_air doesn't display at the mission start hint box for some reason. I tested it with the script version in the editor.

^^

Wow if this could be implemented i think my head will explode!!

Edited by evil-organ

Yay on the boats!

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Oh and is it possible to randomize how many civs spawn per vehicle?

I can certainly give it a go.

Just more amazing work. I really wouldn't have cared as much in previous Arma's because civ cars just seemed so lame but in Arma3 it's just a blast to watch those city box trucks kinda tip when taking corners or the immersion of far away headlights going up a distant mountain at night. The absolute best thing about it is when your just messing around in the editor maybe just checking out a few units when now the world doesn't feel like this empty, sterile place.

Good stuff!

Thanks frog. Not trying to blow my own horn, but I've gotten so used to ambient civs now that it feels weird without them.

My first message on this forum!

These scripts are awesome! Before them I had been manually adding civilians with waypoints to my missions, so having this automated makes it much easier and more immersive to me. :)

Can you make the air script use the included civilian skins for the helicopters? I know that there are at least 5 different civilian skins for the helos, 2 for the Hummingbird, 2 for the Mohawk and one for the Orca. You could also remove the benches from hummingbirds and add doors to make them more civilian like. Here's an example how to do it:

this animate ["addDoors",1];
this animate ["addBackseats",1];
this animate ["addTread",0];
this animate ["addBenches",0];
this animate ["addCivilian_hide",1];
{this lockCargo [_x, true];} forEach [2,3,4,5];

And here are the textures:

// Red-white Hummingbird 
this setObjectTexture [0,"\A3\Air_F\Heli_Light_01\Data\heli_light_01_ext_co.paa";

// Blue-white Hummingbird
this setObjectTexture [0,"\A3\Air_F\Heli_Light_01\Data\heli_light_01_ext_blue_co.paa";

// White-blue Orca
this setObjectTexture [0,"A3\Air_F\Heli_Light_02\Data\heli_light_02_ext_civilian_co.paa";

// Black-white Mohawk
this setObjectTexture [0,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_1_ion_co.paa"];
this setObjectTexture [1,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_2_ion_co.paa"];
this setObjectTexture [2,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_3_ion_co.paa"];

// Green-white Mohawk
this setObjectTexture [0,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_1_dahoman_co.paa"];
this setObjectTexture [1,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_2_dahoman_co.paa"];
this setObjectTexture [2,"a3\air_f_beta\Heli_Transport_02\Data\Skins\heli_transport_02_3_dahoman_co.paa"];

Of course these work only from the init line with 'this' in them.

Also, I noticed that the tpw_air doesn't display at the mission start hint box for some reason. I tested it with the script version in the editor.

Wow, great 1st post, thanks very much. Ambient flybys hooks into a bis function called (unsurprisingly) bis_fnc_ambientflyby. This doesn't allow for vehicle inits, but it should be a relatively simple workaround.

The hint stuff will be sorted as I am moving to combine all my mods into a single entity today.

Now where is that tpw_weather mod (that will of course work in MP amongst all clients ;) ) ?

Does this work on Dedi ?

The first post indicates that it's not tested for MP play by the author so there are no promises it works.

I've not tried it on the dedicated server I have so also can't confirm.

I am however, one that is hoping to see this made compatible for dedicated/MP play, as it seems like a great mod (along with several others from the same author) :) *cough* tpw, make it function for MP/DS play *cough* ;)

is there an option you can implent a blacklist area for spawning like the Ambient Combat Module had in arma 2 (BIS_ACM_1 etc. named markers where no enemy would spawn) this can be usefull if you want a area clear of civilians, i am building a small mission where the player owns a house on Altis but no other civs / cars are needed in my garden :P

20130915: THIS MOD IS NOW PART OF TPW MODS AND IS NO LONGER SEPARATELY MAINTAINED. PLEASE USE THE TPW MODS THREAD TO REPORT BUGS AND REQUEST FEATURES.