Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW CIVS: ambient civilians and traffic for Arma 3

I lol'd when it spawned two SUVs onto the go-kart track. Suffice to say they wrecked themselves pretty quicksmart... Very nice work on the mod, desperately needed!

Hi everyone.

In honour of the official A3 release I've had a huge session of code wrangling and have a new version of TPW CIVS almost ready to go.

1 - There is a new configuration value so that you can chose to ignore civ casualties, have a warning popup, or have the mission end. The civ casualty count is calculated regardless, and available for 3rd parties to access. This should keep everyone happy.

2 - The house selection for civs (and houselights too) has been radically overhauled (thanks to Bashka for tip re scanning houses directly by classname), and should be much lighter.

3 - Civs will only select waypoints within 150m of themselves, so that if you have set the civ radius very large they won't walk between towns (also thanks Bashka)

4 - TPW CIVS run from a script will detect if the addon version is running and exit to prevent conflicts

I'm currently trying to replicate R.Flagg's car exclusion bug, but to no avail.

TPW CIVS v1.11: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_MODS.zip

Changes:

- Ambient boats added.

- Overhauled house detection for civs.

- Localised waypoints for civs tp prevent them walking between towns if the civ radius is large.

- Introduced "all in one" startup hint for all TPW mods, you'll get the one hint showing all active mods.

- Script versions will detect an already running addon and quit.

For those of you who might have been disappointed with the lack of new features with the recent release of A3 final, here's a release of something with a major new feature: boats. They'll spawn a few hundred metres from shore and do their thing, adding to the lived in feel of the island. Please treat them like seagulls - you can't interact with them other than killing them. AI are terrible boat drivers and will periodically beach themselves, crash etc. I'm not doing anything about it other than to despawn them when they do so.

I was playing a mission today with TPW Civs and I looked around this small town after our battle was over and I saw these random goats eating grass near a couple of the houses, a dog walking through the streets, and I nearly stepped on a chicken. The place seemed so ... real. Your mod really complements the Arma 3 islands, brings them to life. It's just stellar and adds so much atmosphere to the game. Well done.

I was playing a mission today with TPW Civs and I looked around this small town after our battle was over and I saw these random goats eating grass near a couple of the houses, a dog walking through the streets, and I nearly stepped on a chicken. The place seemed so ... real. Your mod really complements the Arma 3 islands, brings them to life. It's just stellar and adds so much atmosphere to the game. Well done.

Cheers mate, that was the whole intention and I'm glad you feel that way.

Any chance for a dedicated server side script yet buddy? your work is brilliant and would benefit the community immensely if you or indeed ANYONE else! could have some input on making this happen! :) in any case Keep up the good work....

Edited by daneplant

What are the biggest problems you have with making this work for dedicated servers?

Is anyone else having a problem with vehicles driving down the centre of the runways? Makes take-offs interesting :-)

What are the biggest problems you have with making this work for dedicated servers?

Read the readme. I have some potential 3rd party help with this, but won't say anything further til things firm up.

Is anyone else having a problem with vehicles driving down the centre of the runways? Makes take-offs interesting :-)

Just put an exclusion object (named tpwcarexc) on the runway and you're golden. Or name your aircraft tpwcarexc.

tpw could there be a way to find all addon vehicles that are being used and spawn them in along side the a3 cars cheers smoke

This mod absolutely MAKES the game for me. I've spent hours just taking in the scenery, watching the denizens of Altis go about their daily lives, and now I've got boats, animals, houselights (from the other excellent twp mod)...it's really just amazing what you've done. I can't wait to see what you do with the furniture!!!!

This mod absolutely MAKES the game for me. I've spent hours just taking in the scenery, watching the denizens of Altis go about their daily lives, and now I've got boats, animals, houselights (from the other excellent twp mod)...it's really just amazing what you've done. I can't wait to see what you do with the furniture!!!!

TPW Ikea!

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

This script is really excelent.

Is there a way to prevent script to spawn something in a specified area ?

(for exemple, if I want a military base in the city, having some civs/cars/animals walking in the base is quite annoying.)

Loving the idea for the furniture. Could we also get fluffy dice for cars ;) Just kidding mate. Just loving the ambience now in missions.

This script is really excelent.

Is there a way to prevent script to spawn something in a specified area ?

(for exemple, if I want a military base in the city, having some civs/cars/animals walking in the base is quite annoying.)

Here:

To designate a car exclusion object, enter "tpwcarexc" (no quotes) into the name field of any editor placeable object. This can be a logic, or any other object including moving vehicles. If you don't want to see traffic around any airport you fly into, then you can name your transport aircraft "tpwcarexc". You may designate a maximum of 10 such objects: tpwcarexc, tpwcarexc_1 -> tpwcarexc_9

Animal exclusion objects: tpwanimexc, tpwanimexc_1 -> tpwanimexc_9

Fantastic mod, Altis is now alive as it should be.

Drove around until the wee hours of the morning (realtime) while setting time at 19:45 before the start of the mission and just drove around, was very surreal and reminded me of times I have spent in Cyprus.

With the building lights addon this is a must.

Will enjoy this new version even more. :)

I hope BIS add in some more civilian assets so we can see more variety and hopefully some light aircraft one day.

I'm probably being pretty dumb, but is there a way of getting this to work without having to do anything script wise... E.G. Just putting in a module in the editor, I've been looking through few discussions and it's just people sharing their scripts which is cool, but gives me a headache trying to work out

Thanks for the kind words everyone! True to my to do list I am currently working on ambient flybys of the occasional helicopter or jet. BIS already have a function for this, so it was just a matter of tapping into it appropriately and calling it every 5 min or so.

---------- Post added at 07:11 ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 ----------

I'm probably being pretty dumb, but is there a way of getting this to work without having to do anything script wise... E.G. Just putting in a module in the editor, I've been looking through few discussions and it's just people sharing their scripts which is cool, but gives me a headache trying to work out

If you install the addon as per the instructions in the 1st post, it will just run in every mission, no scripting required.