Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW CIVS: ambient civilians and traffic for Arma 3

TPW CIVS v1.09: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_CIVS_109.zip

Changes:

• Civilian cars may be commandeered.
  • Civilians now wear a greater range of clothing (not just the green striped polo shirt).
  • Mission failure from excessive civilian causalties now uses "End7".

Short term to do: ambient boats and helicopters.

Medium term to do: civs as enemies if you waste too many of them.

Long term: ambient OPFOR/BLUFOR/INDFOR patrols (possibly a different mod).

Awesome work mate, your a huge credit to this community, i think as far as the ambient patrols go, maybe a faction could hold a certain area on the map rather than being random each time.

LOVE THIS ADDON!!!

Tried it for the first time last night.

Doing a covert night recon of a house - insert from the beach we swam up and had to avoid civi traffic when crossing the road. The realism level jump was huge.

All games should have civis (that actually interact with the environment). I have always wonder why they are never modeled properly....until now.

Also loved the animals and seeing fish.

THANKS!

Mission:

Surveillance and reconnaissance operations to report on enemy activity or to provide a better understanding of the operational situation. Tracking of enemy units, monitoring military and civilian activity, and gathering information about beach and water conditions prior to a beach landing.

^^ Now place a particular civ in the mission that must be apprehended (or shot) and you have infinite variability! Do we now have PROPER shoals of fish now ??

Really great mod, really put some life in Stratis/Altis and custom maps,can't play without it anymore.

Is it possible to make animals spawn away form concrete roads ?, would help performance and enhance realism because seeing goats in the middle of the town feels a bit weird.

Is it possible to make animals spawn away form concrete roads ?, would help performance and enhance realism because seeing goats in the middle of the town feels a bit weird.

Never been to the Med so I have no idea but remember my first day living in the Virgin Islands, turning the local news on in my rental car and hearing (in strong Rasta accent) "Emergency!Theres a goat in the road. Repeat, a goat in the road!". No mention of WHAT road lol! Also, leaving Jamaica airport I was amazed by the amount of livestock directly around the airport -chickens, goats, mules etc...though snakes in the airport seems a bit odd..

One of my favorite things -

when mods I like are updated faster than I have time to keep up with. :D Luvin' it.

Thank you tpw.

@TPW

No problems at all mate.

Sorry I havent been replying regarding the headgear, the only way I can seem to get it to work now is basically the same way i did it with the clothes except have empty parts in the array such as ["hat","","strawhat",""] etc. I dont know why the command i use isnt working... but i havent had a great deal of time to do a proper check, lots of things going on in RL right now.

I wonder if there are Topless clothing with shorts.

If so then it could be possible to tie clothing in with the weather, if it is hot/humid then allow the topless clothing to be used, if it is wet/cold then wear the normal clothes.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/humidity

Anyways great stuff, you have changed ArmA 3 forever lol!

I noticed that cars stop after a while and in the rpt file of my server is written

C Golf 2-2: Cycle as first waypoint has no sense

While looking at your code i also noticed that you give the first waypoint a "CYCLE" type when i think it should be "MOVE"

@TPW

No problems at all mate.

Sorry I havent been replying regarding the headgear, the only way I can seem to get it to work now is basically the same way i did it with the clothes except have empty parts in the array such as ["hat","","strawhat",""] etc. I dont know why the command i use isnt working... but i havent had a great deal of time to do a proper check, lots of things going on in RL right now.

If so then it could be possible to tie clothing in with the weather, if it is hot/humid then allow the topless clothing to be used, if it is wet/cold then wear the normal clothes.

No topless clothing with shorts.

Really great mod, really put some life in Stratis/Altis and custom maps,can't play without it anymore.

It's set up so that animals won't spawn within 5m of a road segment. However that won't stop them moving onto a road. Personally, I like seeing a few goats in town, in keeping with the civil breakdown theme of A3. Regarding performance, animals have a very simple FSM and a low poly count, they actually have little effect on performance in my testing. I've tried cranking up the numbers so there are hundreds of animals around me, and it made little difference.

LOVE THIS ADDON!!!

Tried it for the first time last night.

Doing a covert night recon of a house - insert from the beach we swam up and had to avoid civi traffic when crossing the road. The realism level jump was huge.

All games should have civis (that actually interact with the environment). I have always wonder why they are never modeled properly....until now.

Also loved the animals and seeing fish.

THANKS!

Mission:

Surveillance and reconnaissance operations to report on enemy activity or to provide a better understanding of the operational situation. Tracking of enemy units, monitoring military and civilian activity, and gathering information about beach and water conditions prior to a beach landing.

Awesome, that's exactly how I'd hoped this addon would influence the game for people.

One of my favorite things -

when mods I like are updated faster than I have time to keep up with. :D Luvin' it.

Thank you tpw.

Hopefully the pace of development will slow down like my other mods once things reach maturity. Poor old Foxhound is probably going crazy!

@TPW

No problems at all mate.

Yeah I've thought about it too. I wonder how cold it gets in the mediterranean in winter? Could also be a cue for me to resurrect my foggy breath mod for A3.

I noticed that cars stop after a while and in the rpt file of my server is written

C Golf 2-2: Cycle as first waypoint has no sense

While looking at your code i also noticed that you give the first waypoint a "CYCLE" type when i think it should be "MOVE"

Thankyou!!!! This was one of those stupid bugs where the CYCLE waypoint code got put in the wrong spot (basically every time a waypoint was added rather than after all the waypoints had been added). Sometimes you stare at code so long that you stop seeing things. Thanks again for the extra set of eyes! I will update today.

Edited by tpw

Just wondering what you think ...

I have fallen in love with the quadcopter uav. It's way cool to send it up and check out your surroundings, search for enemy, etc, and I plan on using it a lot in missions. However, I noticed that when using it with CIVS it has the effect of making it immersionly-obvious that there is only CIV action directly around your player character.

Wondering if it's a good or bad idea to treat a quadcopter with player viewing through it as if it were the player himself, and having the civ spawning 'go' with the copter for as long as a player is looking through it. If such a thing is even possible. Would be pretty cool to see continued CIV action while piloting your drone over a nearby neighborhood when scoping out enemy.

After all, as long as I'm looking through the remote cam, I can't see around my player character anyway. Perhaps same logic for other remote vehicle(s) with cameras.

Just wondering what you think ...

I have fallen in love with the quadcopter uav. It's way cool to send it up and check out your surroundings, search for enemy, etc, and I plan on using it a lot in missions. However, I noticed that when using it with CIVS it has the effect of making it immersionly-obvious that there is only CIV action directly around your player character.

Wondering if it's a good or bad idea to treat a quadcopter with player viewing through it as if it were the player himself, and having the civ spawning 'go' with the copter for as long as a player is looking through it. If such a thing is even possible. Would be pretty cool to see continued CIV action while piloting your drone over a nearby neighborhood when scoping out enemy.

After all, as long as I'm looking through the remote cam, I can't see around my player character anyway. Perhaps same logic for other remote vehicle(s) with cameras.

Hmm, interesting thoughts. I will look into it, but it probably won't be straightforward so no promises!

@TPW

Well if you are living in a hot country ever since you were born, you will notice the difference in temperatures when it is summer vs winter, hence why you sometimes, as tourists in a hot country see people wearing jackets around the winter time, whilst they wear t-shirts and shorts.

I live in the UK, so the summers here can get very hot and the winters very cold. Big differences and we obviously feel that.

I went to egypt around August time a few years back, and boy it was 30degrees! Compared to the UK's 15-20degrees. And that was hot! But the egyptian people were wearing jackets saying how cold it is lol, cos they are used to the 40+degrees mark.

So I do wonder myself how cold it gets in the "Altis" part of the Med... when i get time i'll have a quick look online =)

edit:

Well i did have 5 minutes, and I found this VERY quickly :P http://weatherspark.com/averages/32194/Lemnos-Limnos-North-Aegean-Islands-Greece that helps =)

@TPW

Well if you are living in a hot country ever since you were born, you will notice the difference in temperatures when it is summer vs winter, hence why you sometimes, as tourists in a hot country see people wearing jackets around the winter time, whilst they wear t-shirts and shorts.

I live in the UK, so the summers here can get very hot and the winters very cold. Big differences and we obviously feel that.

I went to egypt around August time a few years back, and boy it was 30degrees! Compared to the UK's 15-20degrees. And that was hot! But the egyptian people were wearing jackets saying how cold it is lol, cos they are used to the 40+degrees mark.

So I do wonder myself how cold it gets in the "Altis" part of the Med... when i get time i'll have a quick look online =)

edit:

Well i did have 5 minutes, and I found this VERY quickly :P http://weatherspark.com/averages/32194/Lemnos-Limnos-North-Aegean-Islands-Greece that helps =)

Hmm, 4-10 deg C in winter, that's foggy breath weather...

Great addon! I've really needed this since Arma 3 is lacking a proper ambient civilians module.

*facepalm*

have you downloaded it? Then you would have seen that theres both a script and addon version in the DL.

*facepalm*

have you downloaded it? Then you would have seen that theres both a script and addon version in the DL.

Yep, I did.

I saw the folder with the @, I've read the Readme and I saw this: "Extract the @TPW_CIVS modfolder to your preferred mod location, and call it via command line or mod launcher. You'll need Community Base Addons A3 (CBA A3) for the addon to launch properly."

Then I came to ask if it would work because I'm pretty new at scripting, no need to facepalm.

Yep, I did.

I saw the folder with the @, I've read the Readme and I saw this: "Extract the @TPW_CIVS modfolder to your preferred mod location, and call it via command line or mod launcher. You'll need Community Base Addons A3 (CBA A3) for the addon to launch properly."

Then I came to ask if it would work because I'm pretty new at scripting, no need to facepalm.

There is a folder in the download called "scripts", they are in there. Open the scripts with Notepad and look at the top few lines, it tells you how to use the scripts.

If we use the script version in a mission does that somehow detect if the mod is running or vice versa so that TPW Civs isn't running twice?