Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW CIVS: ambient civilians and traffic for Arma 3

Altis needs animals. Yes please!

Thank you so much for the animals too. Now i can add hunting to my mission. Will animals also have ownership in the future to prevent them from spawning too much in an area full of players?

@tpw

what do you think about "Nature Sounds - Xam Environment" http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=7290?

maybe you can implement it to yours.

i am using it since arma1 for ambience.

its working also with A3 with minor errors.

Thanks for that. I will check it out.

Thank you so much for the animals too. Now i can add hunting to my mission. Will animals also have ownership in the future to prevent them from spawning too much in an area full of players?

Yeah, I'll bolt on that ownership stuff, and also the exclusion functionality.

playing on DEV 109860

CIVS Addon 107

SP Editor / preview

CBA / TPW Civs

1) The civ death count doesn't seem to be counting deaths by my grenades, or other various non-bullet methods I tried. I used that neat new track-wheeled UAV that has gun on it (Stomper), and I tried the IFV-6c Panther from the armor class. (was gonna try a chopper too, but I still suck, and flew into tree before killing anyone)

2) I noticed that you're using END 1 when CIV death count is reached. Just wondering if that's best idea, since this is an addon, that could be played with other downloaded SP missions, that may already have END1 defined in their descriptions.ext and/or triggers. For example I usually use End1 as my succeeded trigger, and start End 2 for failure triggers. Usually only have one failure trigger, but that's me. Others could have a few. Anyway, just wondering if maybe 'End 8' would be a better way to go? Perhaps less likely to be defined previously? To be honest this is all just guessing, I have not (yet) tested this against a mission that has end 1 previously defined. I can do that later, perfectly willing to, but only so much timer per play session available.

3) I peeked in at the code, and noticed it does in fact say ["end1",false,2] call BIS_fnc_endMission;, but I didn't see the fancy fuzzy-screen video effect I usually see when I use BIS_fnc_endMission in one of my triggers. Not a huge deal of course, but I do like the effect. Just wondering is all.

NOTE: I don't know how to code, when I say I peeked at the code it was only because was specifically looking for the BIS_fnc_endMission thing, 'cause my understanding is you need that to see the effect i'm talking about.

TPW CIVS v1.08: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_CIVS_108.zip

Changes:

• Ambient animal functionality

Important: Please update your TPW_CIVS.hpp to allow for the new ambient animal configuration values

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

playing on DEV 109860

CIVS Addon 107

SP Editor / preview

CBA / TPW Civs

1) The civ death count doesn't seem to be counting deaths by my grenades, or other various non-bullet methods I tried. I used that neat new track-wheeled UAV that has gun on it (Stomper), and I tried the IFV-6c Panther from the armor class. (was gonna try a chopper too, but I still suck, and flew into tree before killing anyone)

2) I noticed that you're using END 1 when CIV death count is reached. Just wondering if that's best idea, since this is an addon, that could be played with other downloaded SP missions, that may already have END1 defined in their descriptions.ext and/or triggers. For example I usually use End1 as my succeeded trigger, and start End 2 for failure triggers. Usually only have one failure trigger, but that's me. Others could have a few. Anyway, just wondering if maybe 'End 8' would be a better way to go? Perhaps less likely to be defined previously? To be honest this is all just guessing, I have not (yet) tested this against a mission that has end 1 previously defined. I can do that later, perfectly willing to, but only so much timer per play session available.

3) I peeked in at the code, and noticed it does in fact say ["end1",false,2] call BIS_fnc_endMission;, but I didn't see the fancy fuzzy-screen video effect I usually see when I use BIS_fnc_endMission in one of my triggers. Not a huge deal of course, but I do like the effect. Just wondering is all.

NOTE: I don't know how to code, when I say I peeked at the code it was only because was specifically looking for the BIS_fnc_endMission thing, 'cause my understanding is you need that to see the effect i'm talking about.

R the system might just be functioning differently than you think. There are actually 2 counters: a total civ casualty counter and a squad inflicted civ casualty counter. I define a casualty as either injury or death. If you specifically shoot a civ, then both counters will increment, regardless of whether you kill him or not. If a civ gets hit by a car or shot by a non squad member, then only the total counter is incremented. And here's the rub, if a civ is hit by an explosion, the hit eventhandler I use cannot tell who threw it, so only the total counter will increment. I don't use the hitpart eventhandler, which can tell who threw the explosive, because it is bugged with regards to locality and will only register if hits are from a shooter on the same machine as the civ.

You'll find that over the course of play, the total civ counter will gradually creep up regardless, because the civs are such shit drivers and keep injuring themselves and others. That's why I have set the default threshold high for this.

And lastly, I actually don't feel comfortable ending a mission at all, but threw it in because you requested it. I'd be happier with a popup message that abused the player.

Edited by tpw

Would it be possible to add the ability to order civs out of vehicles so you can commandeer them? The vehicles that is not the civs :)

Watching other people play with this mod and they all just shoot the civs to get access to the vehicle.

I should be able to come up with something using a firednear eventhandler: if you step in front of a car and shoot your weapon (not at the car) the driver will bail out.

I should be able to come up with something using a firednear eventhandler: if you step in front of a car and shoot your weapon (not at the car) the driver will bail out.

Awesome, thanks :)

In the same vein as this 'gameplay' type improvement, what if instead of just simply failing the mission after too many civs have been killed, it starts spawning armed civs instead, either as a village militia, local police force, or vigilantes? Perhaps even threshold steps that increase the amount of resistance until you have the military coming in with an AH to take you out?

Loving our new animals tpw ! Good job mate. Now if ONLY we had more civ helicopters we could have the occasional flight across :)

Thanks for the update, tpw. Very nice to have animals now. I agree Kremator, a rare passing helicopter would be icing on the cake. :)

Have to agree with Kremator and Zorg_DK, the occasional helicopter flyby would top this mod of perfectly

Great work and totally appreciated tpw!!

Yes to boats - more common to see a fishing boat than a civilian helicopter on the Greek islands, unless of course it's David Bowie (who owns a mansion on Ios!)

The script version of these (which are awesome btw) I have a problem with.

How do you call them. Is it from a game logic, trigger, init.sqf, init of the player unit or something else?

Reason I am asking is because they are not starting when I call them. tpw, can you test this please it is probably something I am doing. I am not using any mods etc.

Ty.

The script version of these (which are awesome btw) I have a problem with.

How do you call them. Is it from a game logic, trigger, init.sqf, init of the player unit or something else?

Reason I am asking is because they are not starting when I call them. tpw, can you test this please it is probably something I am doing. I am not using any mods etc.

Ty.

As my ex wife said: it's not me it's you! :)

The scripts work mate, I never run the addon version on my computer. I run them from my mission's init.sqf, but they can run from any object's init. You need to make sure you get the path right, and pass the right number of parameters (the scripts will exit otherwise). Assuming that you've saved the scripts into your mission directory then:

Animals:

0 = [1,10,15,200,75] execvm "tpw_animals.sqf"; where 1 = start hint, 10 = start delay, 15 = maximum animals near player, 200 = animals will be removed beyond this distance, 75 = minimum distance from player to spawn an animal

Civs:

0 = [1,5,150,15,5,4,50] execvm "tpw_civs.sqf"; where 1 = start hint, 5 = start delay,150 = radius, 15 = number of waypoints, 5 = how many houses per civilian, 4 = maximum squad inflicted civ casualties, 50 = max total casualties

Cars:

0 = [1,5,1000,15,2] execvm "tpw_cars.sqf"; where 1= start hint, 5 = start delay, 1000 = radius, 15 = number of waypoints, 2 = max cars

---------- Post added at 07:45 ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 ----------

Yes to boats - more common to see a fishing boat than a civilian helicopter on the Greek islands, unless of course it's David Bowie (who owns a mansion on Ios!)

Poking around in the BIS functions I can see that there is actually provision for ambient aircraft and boats. But I might just reinvent the wheel and come up with my own version.

Lastly, @Woodpeckersam I have made good progress with your idea of random clothing for civs, and have got them wearing an extensive selection that I grabbed out of cfg.weapons so that they don't all run around in those #$^&ing green/white polo shirts.

Edited by tpw

Loving our new animals tpw ! Good job mate. Now if ONLY we had more civ helicopters we could have the occasional flight across :)

If that's realistic and/or fits the setting, which I doubt. What would be interesting is, depending on the side of the player, a NATO (if CSAT), CSAT (if NATO) and AAF helicopter flying overhead occasionally, and occasionally some blufor/opfor vehicles/men spawning maybe further out from you than civilians do. This could be a separate addon though.

If that's realistic and/or fits the setting, which I doubt. What would be interesting is, depending on the side of the player, a NATO (if CSAT), CSAT (if NATO) and AAF helicopter flying overhead occasionally, and occasionally some blufor/opfor vehicles/men spawning maybe further out from you than civilians do. This could be a separate addon though.

I've thought long and hard about just this concept antoineflemming. The occasional random patrol in a town or a small convoy of vehicles on a road would probably enhance ambience, but it's a matter of making it happen in a believable way. Are CSAT and OPFOR just randomly peppered around this small island? Or do they occupy different areas? Is there full conflict or just an uneasy detente etc etc. Whichever I choose, someone will take issue with it.

Civs and animals are just window dressing to enhance immersion, but combatants are a different matter.

I've thought long and hard about just this concept antoineflemming. The occasional random patrol in a town or a small convoy of vehicles on a road would probably enhance ambience, but it's a matter of making it happen in a believable way. Are CSAT and OPFOR just randomly peppered around this small island? Or do they occupy different areas? Is there full conflict or just an uneasy detente etc etc. Whichever I choose, someone will take issue with it.

Civs and animals are just window dressing to enhance immersion, but combatants are a different matter.

Well, there's a year old map of Limnos that shows friendly and enemy areas of the island (relative to NATO). So, you'd have to make the spawning relative to those areas. Here's the map: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/087/0/3/arma_3_limnos_story_map_by_arma3-d4u3yb0.jpg

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

Great work. This will be one of the most used mod for realstic missions when dedicated is implemented! With multiplayer server, headless client support would be awesome.

Hmmm I like the idea of friendly civs and unfriendly civs, but not sure how this could be implemented robustly.