Sign in to follow this  
tpw

TPW CIVS: ambient civilians and traffic for Arma 3

Hi tpw, just wondering if the new civilian vehicles and civilians released today will make an appearance with the most recent version of your mod or do we have to wait for an update. Cheers Dude.

Edited by evil-organ

Hi tpw, just wondering if the new civilian vehicles and civilians released today will make an appearance with the most recent version of your mod or do we have to wait for an update. Cheers Dude.

I'll have to update with civ and car classes, won't take me long.

I've got to say I'm incredibly disappointed that there are no female civs. You'd think that with all the cut/paste of assets from earlier games they could have pasted in some #$%^ing females.

I've got to say I'm incredibly disappointed that there are no female civs. You'd think that with all the cut/paste of assets from earlier games they could have pasted in some #$%^ing females.

Lol I know how u feel.

Seems the community on a whole is pretty pissed about the lack of female civs, every Ying needs a Yang!

Devs must surely be aware of this, maybe we get them with the September 12th release.

Anyway, keep up the good work Bro' you da best!

Took the time to edit the script today with the new units put in, makes it seem much more "life" like now, So lovely :) Thanks for this highly buddy!

TPW CIVS v1.04: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/481663/TPW_CIVS_104.zip

Changes:

• Updated civilians and cars for dev build 0.77.109751

I have not updated the main page yet, please test this out. At last there's a bit more variety ion the civilians and traffic. But still no bloody females. Also, it looks like the AI driving might have taken a turn for the worse (pun intended), I see more stuck vehicles.

Hi tpw, latest version is working fine for me.

Holy smokes this mod is really cooking now, the variation in vehicles and civilians really ramps up the immersion.

Now if Bohemia can just give us some women please!!!:yinyang:

This is pretty great, and if I recall, something like this was added when starting up CWR2's Resistance campaign. On that note, is there an addon similar to this for ArmA II? I know there's JTD Ambient Civilian Traffic, but that requires being added via the editor.

@TPW,

I‘m using the 1.03 version with latest dev., sometimes I find that a civilian car could vanished just before my eyes, it happens abruptly. I remember the 1.02 version didn't have such issue.

@TPW,

I‘m using the 1.03 version with latest dev., sometimes I find that a civilian car could vanished just before my eyes, it happens abruptly. I remember the 1.02 version didn't have such issue.

Yeah there's something weird going on with lineintersects. According to my code a car simply should not vanish if it's visible to the player.

//Conditions for removing car (_x)
       if (
	_x distance vehicle player > tpw_car_radius || //car out of range
	(speed _x < 1 && (_x getvariable ["tpw_car_lastspeed",500]) < 1) // car hasn't moved
	) then
		{
		// If player can't see the car
		if (lineintersects [eyepos player,getposasl _x,player,_x] || terrainintersectasl [eyepos player,getposasl _x]) then

{  
remove car etc

Would it be possible to run other scripts on them from within the script if you know what I mean, ive been playing around with Civilian Assassins by Wolfenswan together with this and it's great fun... Would be awesome to be able run them seamlessly.

It would be great to have an option to not have civilians spawn in certain areas.

^^ not needed ... if you want to go into that detail place them in the editor!

I think it is. I do not want civilians run around in a military complex for example or in a town which should be abandoned. Placing them in editor is not an option as it would take alot of time to place them all over the map and give them waypoints and all this. it would also not be good on the performance doing it that way.

i'd actually like that feature too. your logic is kinda flawed. placing them in the editor will not have any of the caching functions this script has. and while i would agree if the request was to spawn them only in certain zones the key here is

have an option to not have civilians spawn in certain areas.

so if you'd want to have a restricted military area as your base you'd have them still walk all around it. so yes eventhough this is kinda subjective, this feature is needed. not by you maybe but that's already 2 vs 1 :p

Would it be easy to add a blacklist to the script and just put area markers where you don't want them to go?

^^ All these things that we wish for can sometimes be outwith the reach of the mod or the mod author.

If the civvies are getting in the way, shoot them, works for me, sometimes the objective can leave you with blood on your hands.

Yeah there's something weird going on with lineintersects. According to my code a car simply should not vanish if it's visible to the player.

//Conditions for removing car (_x)
       if (
	_x distance vehicle player > tpw_car_radius || //car out of range
	(speed _x < 1 && (_x getvariable ["tpw_car_lastspeed",500]) < 1) // car hasn't moved
	) then
		{
		// If player can't see the car
		if (lineintersects [eyepos player,getposasl _x,player,_x] || terrainintersectasl [eyepos player,getposasl _x]) then

{  
remove car etc

Hey tpw,

Check this link - you may find useful replies from Deadfast and KK:

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=13688

I find they ONLY spawn at civ houses ... never seen them spawn at military bases. And havent you ever seen civs at a military base ?

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. It shouldn't be rocket surgery to implement an exclusion system, I will have a go at it.

DA, thanks for the heads upon lineintersect, I will adjust it accordingly!

Hehehe, I installed the mod version (the script version worked for me for a bit, then didn't, then did again, then didn't...) and it's awesome. Love having the civs and cars everywhere, BUT, they do sort of pose a threat on runways! LOL. Try taking off in a buzzard without having at least one truck drive straight at ya' from the other end of the airfield. LOL. Good times.

BUT, they do sort of pose a threat on runways! LOL. Try taking off in a buzzard without having at least one truck drive straight at ya' from the other end of the airfield. LOL. Good times.

exactly! i don't even use the civ script in my current mission. only the cars. and yea they often just drive through my base like crazy people. funny, but it would also be nice if it could be avoided. it's totally clear that tpW has his own plans. general suggestions however, in my opinion, don't really have to be discussed like that. tpW can do what ever he wants with those requests. no need to debate about them...

Seriously every time I see one of those new Sporty Hatchbacks near my squad, I have to give the "Run for your F*ckin Lives!" command. Those guys always come screaming at you at Mach 5, crash in to a wall, then strut away like they ain't done nuthin.

It's all copacetic BB, it won't be tricky to implement. I've been working on porting TPW HOUSELIGHTS over to Altis (A particular challenge) and one of the things I've got working nicely is that it only spawns lights into actual houses (that aren't damaged, aren't slums, aren't made of stone) rather than any enterable building. I am porting this house screening code over to CIVS, so that civilians simply won't spawn where there aren't proper civilian houses. So they won't spawn on a base for instance.

Excluding cars will be a little trickier, because although I can exclude certain kinds of road segments (eg runways) as traffic waypoints, I can't easily stop cars from using the excluded roads on their way between waypoints that aren't excluded. Better to just prevent any traffic spawning if the player is within eg 500m of a user defined location. For example, you could place game logics named TPW_CAR_EXC_1, TPW_CAR_EXC_2 etc on the areas you don't want civ traffic and the script will not spawn cars if you are within 500m of opne of these logics. I will attend to this shortly.

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:50 ----------

Seriously every time I see one of those new Sporty Hatchbacks near my squad, I have to give the "Run for your F*ckin Lives!" command. Those guys always come screaming at you at Mach 5, crash in to a wall, then strut away like they ain't done nuthin.

In all seriousness, do you think I'd be better removing it from the list of spawnable vehicles? Or leave it in and hope that its performance and AI driving in general is refined?