Sign in to follow this  
defk0n_NL

AI Realtime Scripting? Would like BI answer.

I would like to know if Realtime AI Scripting is something that BI has ever thought of and if so; what were those thoughts.

Like for example: being able to lay down waypoints in multiplayer for AI. (flyInHeight etc), basic planning, triggers,etc, etc. instead of trying to command your AI in on the battlefield and getting frustrated.

from what i understand AI is controlled client side, would it not be possible to script your AI to interact with server objects while keeping everything safe security wise?

I am not an expert in what can be done with C++ dialogs, but you might be very interested in this:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?150909-MCC-Sandbox-3-Dynamic-mission-creating-tool-for-ArmA-3

However, I think you mean that every player has such a dialog for commanding their AI in more detail with multi-step plans. The mod linked above seems to (I have never tried it) allow only a single person to control everything. It also includes a lot of features that are superfluous to simply commanding the AI, but going by what is done there, I would say that a system such as you roughly described is very possible (and does not necessarily need to made by BIS).

I do know a lot more about locality than I do about dialogs, and I would guess that any multiplayer security problems would arise from the design and implementation of the dialog rather than the functions that it generated. Those functions obey the basic locality rules of the game engine.

Also, I am going to guess what you mean about AI interacting with server objects. Giving the AI orders in an sqf function does not need to involve any objects at all (except AI objects that are local to the client giving orders). If you mean the AI getting in and out of vehicles or picking up/placing objects, then the designer of this theoretical AI control system would have to test commands such as 'orderGetIn' and 'action' when they involve objects local to the server. The functions generated by this supposed dialog would only give the AI sensible actions to perform that would be equivalent to what a player could do (fly a helicopter at a certain altitude for example). A player would only have access to certain commands that could not be used to cheat, grief, etc.

Edited by Zenophon
Added link

it's somewhat possible now with UAV's, so I guess it must be possible for any vehicle. Is an Unmanned vehicle basicly not the same as an AI controlled vehicle?

I would love to see AI waypoints like they're done in a RTS. Hold shift and left click for additional waypoints, hold CTRL and click to change the waypoint options (defend, attack, change combat style, crawl, etc)...

Not just for vehicles though but infantry as well.