Sign in to follow this  
trent

Why are vehicle loadouts so homogenous?

I noticed since the alpha how many vehicles shared the exact same weapons but didn't say anything. Now the final content has been shown and it's gotten worse not better.

Using the mind-bogglingly boring HMG and/or GMG loadout: blufor mrap hmg, blufor mrap gmg, opfor mrap hmg, opfor mrap gmg, aaf mrap hmg, aaf mrap gmg, blufor ugv, opfor ugv, blufor ifv, blufor rcv, opfor apc, blufor speedboat, opfor speedboat

And now for inexplicable reasons using identical turrets: the opfor ifv and aaf apc, the blufor AAA and opfor AAA, the blufor artillery and opfor artillery.

And something tells me we won't see much performance difference between the mbt and mlrs turrets.

Weapons are the main way you interact with the gaming world. Cool guns and weapon systems are what gamers and milsim nerds crave. To know that whether it's a jeep or an IFV you'll only get the phut-phut-phut of the GMG is such a buzzkill. It's why I've exclusively used the Kamysh in my games. Where are all the unique vehicles that keep fans coming back to them?

You've already stripped out so much content and now this? You said "quality over quantity", but what quality? It's just copied & pasted assets.

Edited by Trent

Because in real life this is how it is. Why have hundreds of weapons you need ammo for and repair parts for?

Progamer: lolno

Among close allies... sometimes.

Among opposing nation states with well-funded armies, pretty much never.

The U.S. just bought some Mi-8s for Afghanistan, and to my knowledge that is the first time we have ever used the same vehicles of systems as the Russian or Chinese (Lend Lease exempted).

Let's not be fanboys, please. BI is sharing assets between factions to cut down on dev resources.

Because it was easier to create two weapons to put on six vehicles than to create twelve weapons to put on six vehicles.

Because A3 went wrong along the way and they had to release something this year.

Because A3 went wrong along the way and they had to release something this year.

Sad, but increasingly evident.

This hopefully won't be the final vehicles etc that they dish out, when I say final obviously I mean after release date, I can't wait for Arma 2 rearmed either which should bring in old content with a new sheen which will be nice.

For me I think the Arma devs have been focusing more on cleaning up Arma optimising it and generally making it work how they expect it to, for me this is in part due to the open alpha and beta which we never normally get, for anyone whos been following the series from Arma:Armed Assault to Arma 3 will understand that this game won't be full of content but more fixing of the old stuff which sometimes just didn't work and a well rounded implementation of the new content.

We will be getting so much content from mod makers and hopefully in the future we will get expansions and DLC for Arma 3, I would rather them focus on making what they have amazing and actually work, than focus on building multitudes of turrets and weapons and release a game like Arma or Arma 2 (no offence BIS).

Finally I feel like on release date we will have something that we can actually play from the get go.

Progamer: lolno

Among close allies... sometimes.

Among opposing nation states with well-funded armies, pretty much never.

The U.S. just bought some Mi-8s for Afghanistan, and to my knowledge that is the first time we have ever used the same vehicles of systems as the Russian or Chinese (Lend Lease exempted).

Let's not be fanboys, please. BI is sharing assets between factions to cut down on dev resources.

I ment among allies, such practices are already done but the weapon system should be different between factions.

I know this is a slightly different topic but still on the general topic of vehicle loadouts...why don't they allow us to change weapon fitouts to vehicles? eg. outfitting the AH9 with 4 rocket pods (because the miniguns are useless) or 4 miniguns? outfitting the Ghosthawk with rockets and miniguns just like this --> http://www.army-technology.com/projects/black_hawk/black_hawk2.html

Because in real life this is how it is. Why have hundreds of weapons you need ammo for and repair parts for?

Take a look at how many different weapon systems there are in real life US vehicles alone. Or at how many different ones there were in Arma 2. Or at how many systems use the same ammo but have different delivery systems. The US and Iran both buy the exact same turrets for their MRAPs, APCs, UGVs, Speedboats and Heavy Artillery from the same manufacturer?

To pretend A3's just mimicking reality is disingenuous at best.

It's just 'Balancing'.

Except in BIS version of it it's not about making sides counter each other disadvantages with their own advantages (which is how it is in reality) but giving everybody same weapons and loadouts.

Either that or judging by how poor ArmA3 is when it comes to content they just gave all vehicles the same weapons because that's the only weapon model they have.

I do not blame BIS. They did a great job overall on not just ARMA 3 but all of their games. Sometimes they stumbled and made mistakes or kept same turrets for example but as it is nowadays, things keep changing. My guess would be the game is going to be released as it is and later as regular updates, DLCs or Expansions (like OA) is gonna add new skins or remodify old ones and upgrade engine, UI and the rest.

I ment among allies, such practices are already done but the weapon system should be different between factions.

which is obviously what the op was saying. isn't reading comprehension great?