Sign in to follow this  
trpaslik

Altis: Criticism and Suggestions

Weird thing I found with the Thronos castle near Oreokastro. I was playing a mission there and thought how lame it was that you couldn't get up in the tower, or even on the walls. Then I thought hang on, it's not like the stairs are blocked off or anything, there just doesn't seem to be any way to get up there in the first place. No stairs, no ladder. So then I started messing around with the camera, and discovered that the door to enter the tower is underground.

So, devs, if you have no plans to fix this castle so we can use the staircase to access the tower, can we at least have a ladder to get up there, please? Although that would probably also require moving the wall section that is clipping through the tower and blocking off part of the staircase.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

So far I have only been amazed about everything on Altis! I have walked around for hours, but still haven´t seen a 5th of it. The atmosphere is really great, the whole surrounding feels really authentic and real.

I do find the docks pretty empty and non immersive. In the main town Kavala (and other docks) I would like to see more props, like ropes and buoys and maybe fishing nets and crates with cooled fish etcetera. Though I understand (how resource heavy Altis already is) that you guys had to make compromises with adding details.

And please add a improved ambient civilian and ambient vehicle module back to make urban area´s more immersive and alive.

Fantastic job on Altis!.

So far I have only been amazed about everything on Altis! I have walked around for hours, but still haven´t seen a 5th of it. The atmosphere is really great, the whole surrounding feels really authentic and real.

I do find the docks pretty empty and non immersive. In the main town Kavala (and other docks) I would like to see more props, like ropes and buoys and maybe fishing nets and crates with cooled fish etcetera. Though I understand (how resource heavy Altis already is) that you guys had to make compromises with adding details.

And please add a improved ambient civilian and ambient vehicle module back to make urban area´s more immersive and alive.

Fantastic job on Altis!.

I agree with this to up to a point. I love small details, and always said that they make or break games immersion. The docks do indeed look barren and unused and could do with sprucing up -along with farms devoid of tools and agricultural equipment or a lack of infastructure/ old tourist resorts existing) , however there's a fine balance between sprucing and cluttering; even with the changes to movement in Arma 3, it can still be fiddly moving around in tight spaces or around objects. Infuriatingly so, at times. Until we get more fluid character movement in the game I could imagine that small details could just end up being eye candy which hampers gameplay when it gets to actually playing. I really wish this weren't the case, but I'd hate to be stuck between a bouy and a lobster cage and do the v-spam-dance to try to escape whilst bullets are flying.

That said, if we got finishing touches like that I think I'd just spend my days with a heater next to me, in sunglasses, shorts and sandals sightseeing at my computer! :cool: If not BIS, someone *has* to do this!

i have a complaint to file ;)

i played some PvP in Kavala today. and the small bit those walls, that are used to make those canals, stick out the ground makes it impossible to get on them without using the step over animation. i had to get inside it when an MG unloaded on us and got stuck and almost killed due to that. it makes you walk to the side until one piece is actually placed properly. only then you can get into safety. here's a pic

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=174064619

please fix that. it creates those arma 2 flash backs. getting stuck on stuff and all that :p would be fine if the edge wouldn't just be 10-20 cm. if placing them properly is too much work then just make the modeller expand the invisible roadway lod to the sides so it goes into the ground.

oh and in general it would be really great if almost everything had proper roadway lods. please forward that to the modellers. it helps with problems like that and movement fluidity in general. and my upcoming climbing mod would really benefit from all the boxes and sacks being actually walkable :)

Altis is splendid! But I wish there were sounds. I don't think I've heard a single sound from the actual game world. Not from windmills, doors, gates, transformer stations etc. I actually think that transformers in Arma 1 had a buzzing noise.
Good call!

I don't understand the complaints about that dry lake. It's something different, you do not need to use it and I'm sure it will serve whatever purpose and challenge the mission makers phantasy. Variety is good.

I don't understand the complaints about that dry lake. It's something different, you do not need to use it and I'm sure it will serve whatever purpose and challenge the mission makers phantasy. Variety is good.

I setup a temporary OPFOR base by the airstrip at the Almyra dry lake. It should be interesting to see how my guys try to attack the place with no cover in sight.

yeah, actually agree about sounds, white noise from sea and wind, and few birds twitching, thats not enough, the world feels quite empy/not liveable because of that.

Altis is splendid! But I wish there were sounds. I don't think I've heard a single sound from the actual game world. Not from windmills, doors, gates, transformer stations etc. I actually think that transformers in Arma 1 had a buzzing noise.
This! + houses are empty, there should be at least some tables, chairs etc. inside.

Yes, at least the door and gate sounds would be great and bring more immersion.

+1 for ambiant sound

I dont remind if there is storm sound ?

- barrier and door

- Power plant noise

- Wintower noise

- fuelstation when you use it

and more

More ambient sounds! Haha how could i forget about it! We need them.

I setup a temporary OPFOR base by the airstrip at the Almyra dry lake. It should be interesting to see how my guys try to attack the place with no cover in sight.

I have no doubt that more sounds will be added in the editor for towns. You can always add custom sounds of course. I already made an ambient town with greek music in houses, prayers coming from the churches etc.

Only Playsound3D does not work for me, only Say3D.

A few people seem to think that I don't know that Altis is based off Lemnos and think I don't know that my changes would make the island less true to life. I do know that it is based off Lemnos island in the Mediterranean and that it does have a swamp and two dry lakes, but that doesn't mean that the two dry lakes aren't completely useless as terrain features for the game. The island is no longer named Lemnos for reasons that are somewhat obvious, it would've been nice to see them take some creative freedom with their newly named map instead of sticking true to life. On top of this, some pictures I looked up of the swamp on Lemnos seem pretty different from the one in game. It would've been nice to see them remove the useless features or ugly features and use their own creativity to redesign the island to utilize their canvas to their full potential. I feel almost robbed of the 270 sq km by that dry lake eyesore. It's just there with little to no purpose.

Most people like Arma 3 as authentic as possible. Tis includes the terrain. The dry lakes are an awesome terrain that very few other games have and are quite unique to fight in. These are not "useless" or "ugly". These are real life terrain and it's not always a picture perfect area. I feel the forest are perfect at the moment and if you want more then stratis or a user made map could suite you better. The ny issue with the dried lakes for me and my freinds is the fact it has no water in it in the winter months: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=13271

Have you ever heard that "sometimes less is more"...? well, I would say that about those wrecked cars spammed all over the place... you might get rid of them and you know what...? Altis would still be looking... well, more, no doubt about it... I can't tell why, but this is not like Sara or Takistan where those wrecks were truly making a statement, adding to the overall result... this is not happening in Altis imho...

If I could do something about those wasted cars, I would save those models to make some wheatfields or a expanded canebreak kind of idea...

Anyways, Altis is a remarkable piece of work... reminding us all why we fell in love with the armaverse charm... yeah, no matter unmatching ladders for climbing simulations (till today hahaha!!!), nor recycled static models among other few ponds like -troublesome forget'em all- stuff...

What I like the most is the perfect blending of some rock formations around the hills... these sets of rocks are the best in the entire series... and I can not get tired to fly and explore around them...

The possibilities are never ending on this island, not simply because of its size/shape, but the infinite amount of different possible approaches...

Many thanks for your splendid achievement guys!

Edited by Robster

they could made a module for themselves, which places all the wrecks around the map. So normal map wouldn't have it. Also for random destroyed buildings etc.

Have you ever heard that "sometimes less is more"...? well, I would say that about those wrecked cars spammed all over the place... you might get rid of them and you know what...? Altis would still be looking... well, more, no doubt about it... I can't tell why, but this is not like Sara or Takistan where those wrecks were truly making a statement, adding to the overall result... this is not happening in Altis imho...

If I could do something about those wasted cars, I would save those models to make some wheatfields or a expanded canebreak kind of idea...

Anyways, Altis is a remarkable piece of work... reminding us all why we fell in love with the armaverse charm... yeah, no matter unmatching ladders for climbing simulations (till today hahaha!!!), nor recycled static models among other few ponds like -troublesome forget'em all- stuff...

What I like the most is the perfect blending of some rock formations around the hills... these sets of rocks are the best in the entire series... and I can not get tired to fly and explore around them...

The possibilities are never ending on this island, not simply because of its size/shape, but the infinite amount of different possible approaches...

Many thanks for your splendid achievement guys!

Hey Robster, speaking of ponds, any chance of you bringing over the ponds objects from Clafghan? The lack of "ambient" water on Altis is getting me down...

Maybe there could be some kind of dust effects along the island influenced by the wind, and much noticeable wind effects on trees. Maybe...

Wind turbines and Domes destruction are VERY disappointing... Wind Turbines just fall down vertically and disapear. Same happens with the Domes. I was expecting some Turbine Blades flying off and Tiles from the Domes to fall apart and get holes in them.

And I keep saying we need grass like this... :o

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/tg/image/1370/97/1370970322944.jpg (155 kB) http://seemybackyard.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/tallgrass-prairie-pawhuska.jpg (1057 kB)

arma2OA+2011-08-30+18-12-55-81.jpg

Edited by D_wolf

I found it kind of strange that Altis Windmills appear to have camo. Are they a tactical power supply? Are they supposed to be anti-air mechanisms (considering how many people crash into them)? I was kind of confused about that.

Otherwise, I'm liking Altis a lot. Will report back if I find anything else seemingly out of place.

I found it kind of strange that Altis Windmills appear to have camo. Are they a tactical power supply? Are they supposed to be anti-air mechanisms (considering how many people crash into them)? I was kind of confused about that.

Ask the people who built them :p

:cool: One is not truly a windmill-engineer unless he camouflages his creations

Otherwise, I'm liking Altis a lot. Will report back if I find anything else seemingly out of place.

Actually it's suppose to blend better with the environment, less "visual polution" and things like that. Its fairly common to see cellphone antenas painted all green or some dark color.

Edited by PurePassion
removed accidental double post :)

This! + houses are empty, there should be at least some tables, chairs etc. inside.

Furniture would have to be physx enabled to be implemented properly. If the devs released furniture that was solid and locked in place there would be even more complaints. We all know how well the engine is handling a bunch of physx objects in close proximity to each other, let alone indoors.

Some people are already struggling to run Arma 3 in big settlements, so furniture would be pretty low on their list of priorities.