Sign in to follow this  
trpaslik

Altis: Criticism and Suggestions

I don't see a need for large forests and a mountain, I think the terrain is perfect how it is, the multitude of villages and towns make up any need for large forests in terms of interesting game play and from my experience large mountains and hills in arma are usually sparse and Are only a large obstacle for players AI to move around over, just my opinion :) anyway I hope BI get some sort of award for this great island, what a beast!

I was pleasantly surprised how Altis runs for me, I've a decent machine but nothing state of the art and it runs smooth as silk. The Island itself is beautiful, I like how it is filled with all sorts of man made clutter en structures, very believable. Maybe it can use some more natural stuff like tall grass, shrubs and such, for concelment.

One thing I found disappointing is that AI drivers still have trouble crossing bridges. Besides that the size of Altis is almost overwhelming nothing else negative comes to mind. (yet ;))

Great job!!

# Katipo66

I also think Altis is fine the way it is, no need for an artificial Himalaya.

Altis has its own setting, if you want to play on different ones, you could try AiA or wait for awesome community maps that are sure to come.

I hope its the proper place for this request:

-ambient civilian module

-ambient civilian vehicles modul

-ambient combat modul

Altis is perfect for me. No Criticism at all. Other things have by far more priority..

Trpaslik - WONDERFUL island mate! Seriously huge and so much to see (and do). The reason people are having issues with the island is that they want MOAR viewdistance and their rigs cant cope. Hell, I even ordered a new PC today (a BEAST !) so I can play this with higher settings !

Having only played on the island for a few hours, I would suggest making all buildings enterable. Found a nice church that I couldn't access and that was a shame.

The go kart track near the main airport struck me as odd too.

Overall a very very good map.

Some suggestions : add underground/bunker complexes or some underwater caves or underwater sub pens , make all buildings enterable or at least the big ones , merge altis and stratis into one map sahrani rahmadi style (perfect for jets) , optimisation for some much needed fps , IMO maybe a little less futuristic stuff cause the domes and the solar park towers feel a little weird to the eye but that's just me , also add some interior items to buildings (machinery for factories , furnitures for houses and the like).

That's all i can think of right now.

# Katipo66

I also think Altis is fine the way it is, no need for an artificial Himalaya.

Altis has its own setting, if you want to play on different ones, you could try AiA or wait for awesome community maps that are sure to come.

No need for a mountain range, but more variation in elevation would increase the visual interest and provide additional gameplay and strategy!

re: empty interiors, ive assuemd since the first alpha release that this is not as ultimately intended...am i wrong??

The only thing that stood out for me at the moment as a little odd where the amount of vehicle wrecks around the island, there seems to be quite a lot. But again, I know nothing of the campaign story etc so perhaps it would actually be like this. I still think they could remove a few of them and achieve the same effect ( I'm mainly thinking about performance here and unnecessary amounts of objects).

I've spent a dozen or so hours flying, driving, and running around this island at various times of day and all types of weather. I am simply stunned! It far exceeds my expectations in every way.

My only criticisms so far (and I hesitate to call them that) are:

- Cyclone fences often terminate without a post - not a huge deal, but it looks awkward and can make it a little difficult to see where the opening is.

- I'd prefer to see fewer damaged buildings, but they probably figure into the pending campaign.

- Eventually, I hit water - I want it to go on forever!

Bravo, BIS. Altis is a beautiful piece of work!

Great work. I have one suggestion, how about some offshore oil drilling platforms? I know its the Mediterranean, but by 2035 there will be technology to extract oil several kilometers below the seabed and there will be oil drilling everywhere! :) Iran has run out of oil, so that is why Altis needs to be captured and held.

Oil platforms are great for hostage rescue, stealth/non-destructive assault or as observation platforms. Or perhaps this is better done as a user mod?

Edited by MissionCreep

After exploring Altis a bit more i must say that it most diffinately makes up for the shortcomings announced lately, Altis is a true masterpiece nothing more nothing less :cool:

First of all, your work is phenomenal. My suggestion is a more technical and ambitious one. I suggest BI develop an iPad app which will act as a real-time map for Arma3. The app would connect to your desktop, and you would be able to browse the map while playing, without keeping your eyes off the terrain.

Great work. I have one suggestion, how about some offshore oil drilling platforms? I know its the Mediterranean, but by 2035 there will be technology to extract oil several kilometers below the seabed and there will be oil drilling everywhere! :) Iran has run out of oil, so that is why Altis needs to be captured and held.

Oil platforms are great for hostage rescue, stealth/non-destructive assault or as observation platforms. Or perhaps this is better done as a user mod?

+1! Oil drilling platforms would be awesome!

Island is awesome,

Dynamic water would be good, though. (Salt Lake, Beaches, Ravines)

Bigger and enterable buildings for fights inside corridors (without the clumpyness).

Furniture.

Caves.

+1! Oil drilling platforms would be awesome!

Can you imagine the "kaboom" of one of those going up?

The large rocks at Stonehenge don't have physx so they float when the supporting rocks are gone.

@LUCW - Cool idea, why stop at that, maybe it could become the inventory management..

Edited by Katipo66

The only complaint I have is the rusted out car hulks in the main airport parking lot, I find it hard to believe that would have been allowed to sit in perfectly good parking spaces for that long without getting pushed off into the grass somewhere.

Other than that, the island is superb. I actually prefer the more subtle rise and fall of the terrain on the east side of the island. It's not too pronounced, but it's certainly not flat.

Caveat: Haven't been to all the island yet. But, first impressions:

More tree stands/forrested areas. Also, more hills. Some areas should be a bit more Stratis-like.

I was impressed.

While I didn't encounter the dreaded 1FPS performance problem, I did have some concerns that FPS might get uncomfortably low near the waterfront of some of the larger towns. Many area's felt like the FPS was really good, but time will tell when players start playing missions in them.

There are too many "wrecks" and general debris around the island. Would it not be better to keep these sort of pieces of thematic decor as separate props? For examples, don't pre-place so many burned out vehicles on the island. Let mission designers add them separately to decorate the area of their missions and add atmosphere as they see fit. Fewer pre-placed and fixed objects on the island would improve framerate, especially in area's that are already pretty built up with world objects.

Is there an offshore "base" of some sort? The island is just begging for seaborne invasion scenario's... but my initial tour didn't reveal a suitable staging area out at sea. For example: ArmA 1 had the Aircraft Carrier off the coast of Sahrani island. Some suitable staging areas could be useful to scenario builders looking to build missions like CTI/Warfare.