Sign in to follow this  
SpacemanSpiff

1-2 FPS on Altis and 60 fps on stratis.

Is your average framerate on Altis LESS THAN 5 FPS? Do you run a 32 or 64 bit OS?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Is your average framerate on Altis LESS THAN 5 FPS? Do you run a 32 or 64 bit OS?

• NO, average FPS >= 5 (32 bit OS)
    • NO, average FPS >= 5 (64 bit OS)
    • YES, average FPS < 5 (32 bit OS)
    • YES, average FPS < 5 (64 bit OS)

Well, after the patch my fps is just the same. I took a look and my GPU memory usage is about 200, my RAM memory around 2,2 GB, and my CPU is around 70% globally (1,2 and 3 working more than 4). yesterday with the "fix" by tiger I got around 30-40 fps in the editor.

Try increasing or decreasing the virtual memory limit

Well I was able to play on MP server for about 15 mins with pbo file edited + some startup parameters when suddenly my FPS dropped to 4 and character got that funny syndrome. CPU and GPU is not overheating. It must be something with my 4gb ram. Obviously 4gb ram is no longer enough for Arma or is it CPU?

Rig:

Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 black edition OC 3893 MHz

Memory Kingston 2GB KIT DDR3 1333MHz CL7 HyperX x2 (4gb ram)

Video Card GTX 660Ti

Doesn't that mean that merely the default value for virtual memory limit has increased? So if I had already the '-maxmem=2047' parameter this fix doesn't effect me?

Can't try it now myself. Damn job.

Has the road pbo been restored? Or is it still the rename workaround leading to dirt roads

consider creating pagefiles on each HDD in your machine. Arma 2 used to stutter a lot for me until I created a second pagefile on a second disc. DON'T put a pagefile on any SSDs unless you want to replace them sooner than later ;)

I actually had a look to see if tweaking my pagefile settings would help the stutter I've been experiencing last night, and does seem to have improved my performance when transitioning from countryside to towns - which was where I was getting some major stutter before.

AFAIK though it's only really advisable if you have a second physical HDD with a comparable or faster speed than the partition where your OS is installed. It's not worthwhile creating a pagefile on a second partition of the same HDD or if the second drive is slower or experiences heavier usage than the OS drive anyway. Also, you don't want the pagefile to be on a SSD.

In my case I had an old 320GB drive (the main HDD from an old PC of mine) installed on my machine, that gets virtually no usage besides backing-up various 3D models I've made. It's faster than the main 2TB drive I have my OS and games installed on (across three partitions C:, D: and E:) so is a good candidate for using to locate the pagefile.

I've made sure there is still a limited 500MB pagefile allocation on the OS partition (C:) for general Windows 7 requirements (minimum recommended was something like 300MB on the OS drive for Vista and Win7), but I now have G: (the old drive) set aside for the other 4+ GB of System Managed pagefile use.

Edited by da12thMonkey

The uptade allow me to play Altis... when I am far of citys....

I incrased the limit to 2400, don't work. I have a i5, can I try more ?

would be interesting what viewrange most of the guys use when getting that stuttering.

@mdmrzk: i5 760 or i5 4670k@5ghz? may be more precise plz.

i5 760 should crunch 2k viewdistance with 1k objectdistance plus a decent scenario@ ~30fps even in towns

try lowering object detail as it reduces stuttering alot in cpu heavy scenarios and/or can be used to get more view/object distance working.

Object Quality seems to have the greatest influence with regards to this 0 to 5 FPS issue. It can vastly change the total object count within the player's field of view (including objects hiding behind other objects which aren't even being rendered, objects behind terrain appear to get culled). With regards to the heavy stuttering the total complexity (textures and polygons) doesn't seem to be an issue, just the object count.

Lowering the setting shortens the LOD distances and culls smaller objects at much shorter distances. You will experience more LOD-pop and pop-in/-out closer than the Object View Distance but Objects very close to the player still have high levels of detail.

The uptade allow me to play Altis... when I am far of citys....

I incrased the limit to 2400, don't work. I have a i5, can I try more ?

If you mean the maxmem parameter, maximum value that you can set is 2047, unless something changed.

im in the middle of making a mission and i try it out and my fps go down to 1-5 fps again after the fix, it happen about a minute in to the mission if i dont have anything on the map just my player its fine. so there is still something wrong with it.

Well the today's patch didn't fix the issue at all for me. Maxmem at 1600 or 2047 or off.

Arma3.exe uses 1.5GB, 950MB still available. 0fps after 10 seconds near a city.

edit. I enabled the "3GB switch" on windows referred here and now Altis is as smooth as butter while Arma uses over 1.9GB of RAM. I just always thought the 3GB limit was on by default in Win 7.

Edited by Greenfist
Victory

My core is a i5-2320

then 2k viewdistance with 1k objectdistance and medium to high settings at 45-60fps in an sp scenario should be possible on altis.

if not something else is bottlenecking your system.

you may has seen here in this thread that 32bit os and less or equal than 4gb ram can be a problem too on altis.

Ok now stop the SSD will die with a page... Put the page on a SSD, thats what a SSD is for speed. You will NEVER over write your SSD with a page, or ever any ways... You cant kill it that way. You would have to write to it more than its total size(SSD) a factor of 10 everyday for a year or two... Now you may fill up your drive and slow it the hell down, but thats what "provisioning" is for. Let it idle and GC will clean it up.

Back to your topic....

edit. I enabled the "3GB switch" on windows referred here and now Altis is as smooth as butter while Arma uses over 1.9GB of RAM. I just always thought the 3GB limit was on by default in Win 7.

that worked. I've been flying over altis for almost half an hour and no "back to 1 fps" issues. occasional fps drop on big cities, but that was expected, and some stuttering, but no 1fps.

Patch from 28.08. fixed my horrible FPS problems on Altis.

Standing alone in huge dry lake now gives about 134 FPS (before it was 7) :)

then 2k viewdistance with 1k objectdistance and medium to high settings at 45-60fps in an sp scenario should be possible on altis.

if not something else is bottlenecking your system.

you may has seen here in this thread that 32bit os and less or equal than 4gb ram can be a problem too on altis.

Thank you very much, Zartos worked with 70 FPS

BUT (yes, without but,it will not be funny -_-) sometimes the game freeze at 10 FPS and graphics become suddently very very very ugly.

EDIT : It come from the main airfield, when I go here, the game go to 10 FPS.

Edited by mdmrzk

Thank you very much, Zartos worked with 70 FPS

BUT (yes, without but,it will not be funny -_-) sometimes the game freeze at 10 FPS and graphics become suddently very very very ugly.

EDIT : It come from the main airfield, when I go here, the game go to 10 FPS.

well me too even my hardware is more then double faster than yours.

at the airport the object density is so high(plus navmesh, etc,etc) that i just could play 4km view and 2km object distance to maintain battle effective. highersettings adds stutter and slowdowns, or even many 0fps freezes.

but BIS is working on it, just remember the arma 2/arrowhead optimation process(chernogorsk/zargabad).

the sometimes freezes: the flush command which rendered the screen black for some time in arrowhead, no does his job on the fly, so with low video memory(1gb) and at worst with only ddr3 video memory you should get this slowdowns with the textures slowly building up again.

more videomemory(3gb in my case) and fast one(ddr5 @ 6800 effective for me) it just stutters shortly(200ms says msi afterburner frametime loging) and with no quality loss.

reducing texture detail + further reducing objects detail(against bots objectsdetail low is more than enough) should put some more stress off the videoram and main ram to further reduce stuttering.

@ kaysio: looks like your ssd(i hope you have one for arma 3 with your dual gpu settup) is too slow streaming stuff at this speed, after your second pass over airfield and town it runs smooth.

i have on same settings(but view aspect set to 16-9 for 1080p) 60%cpu load(i7 2700k@4.5ghz) with 80% gpu load(7970) with higher fps and the initial loading stutter is gone much faster for me.

The 7970 is a 3GB card right? try using the -maxVRAM parameter and upping the limit arma has access to, try 2000 first and work upward.

Yesterday was 1FPS with horrible glitches when every graphical setting was turned down as low as it could possibly go.

Today it is absolutely fine.

Thanks BIS! Whatever you did it worked.

Alright... I haven't played the game since Altis actually but I'm not 32-bit and gonna start it up now to see how we're doing :)

Edit: Yeah, I'm not having any issues either.

Started the editor, made a chopper in the airfield in the middle of Altis and went around flying with settings in my sig and performance was no worse than on Stratis.

It did end with a black-screen crash after closing the map though and for some reason Fraps didn’t record framerate properly but I’ll try again.

---------- Post added at 00:01 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Yeah. I just did the same thing going from the southwest corner of the west part of Altis to the northeast then I tried landing and crashed badly lol... 50+ average fps with 25-100 minmax values.

Which is nice. Stratis-performance.

Anyways I did have that black-screen crash again when toggling the map again.

Oh and for the first time the game actually maxes out on 2GB RAM use.

Edited by Sneakson

Thanks BIS! Whatever you did it worked.

Whatever they did, now the performance on my brother's pc is horrible. From normal 30-40 fps down to 0-10 fps on both Maps without changing anything...

Altis work prefectly except 1 small things

I destroyed an tower, the FPS falled a lot (idn't maked me that on Stratis), to 40 at 20

In the editor I have no issues anymore as long there is not to much going on. Tried a mission with +100 AI and after some driving and a firefight it went down to 2 fps and going to the main menu did not recover it. I think I am just reaching the limits of what my desktop can handle now. Though I hope for further improvements. One improvement would be an AI cache module that will reduce the load in missions a lot. ArmA 2 had a cache script that worked in the alpha too, but it is now broken on Altis, the mission will simply not load with that script. Unit cache